WOC: MAC "Rodarte"

Curly1908

I'm still wrestling with my conscience over this matter. I've been aware of the situation in Juarez for several years, but for some reason -- I didn't make the initial connection between the product names for this collection. Now that MAC has agreed to change the names and donate $100,000 to women's causes -- I'm trying to decide if this is a sufficient gesture or too little/too late -- especially when I read articles such as this: Mexican authorities find 38 bodies hidden in mass graves - CNN.com

Twinkle_Twinkle

I've got a question for you ladies (and gents):

I think most of us agree that these shades are not flattering for WOC, however I like the mood of the collection all the same. It's very transparent and dreamy. I think so often WOC friendly collections are very bold and bright and rich or are heavy on the brown, bronze and gold earth tones, but I like how this collection is subtle without being too neutral or natural (a la Warm and Cozy, All Races, or The N collections).

So how would you all recreate that effect with skin flattering shades?

Curly1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle

I think most of us agree that these shades are not flattering for WOC, however I like the mood of the collection all the same. It's very transparent and dreamy. I think so often WOC friendly collections are very bold and bright and rich or are heavy on the brown, bronze and gold earth tones, but I like how this collection is subtle without being too neutral or natural (a la Warm and Cozy, All Races, or The N collections).

BECCA COSMETICS!!!
th_LMAO.gif

I'm guaranteed to get a dreamy/windswept look with their products. I haven't been able to duplicate the look I get with their products with another line.
th_dunno.gif

6a00e554a1ee58883401116860957d970c-500wi

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly1908
BECCA COSMETICS!!!
th_LMAO.gif

I'm guaranteed to get a dreamy/windswept look with their products. I haven't been able to duplicate the look I get with their products with another line.
th_dunno.gif

6a00e554a1ee58883401116860957d970c-500wi

Fair enough, lol. Please don't get me started pinning after Becca products that I can't afford! Her eye shadows are great though. Natural and basic with just a bit of jazz and an awesome texture.

Curly1908

Sorry!
ssad.gif

I wish Sephora still carried the line so we could get discounts. There HAS to be a way to dupe the Becca look for less though...right?
ssad.gif

spectrolite

Quote:

^Oooo fun question! >_< To create a sort of dreamy effect on myself I would maybe do something like this:

- Start with a tinted moisturizer or light coverage foundation and powder lightly with loose powder.
- Next use Pearl Cream Colour Base to highlight the cheekbones, down the centre of the nose, and on the lids as a shadow base.
- Then apply Beautiful Iris eye shadow to the lids and use A Little Folie eye shadow to define the crease
- Next apply White Gold or Vanilla Pigment in the tear duct and tight line the eyes with black liner. Line the waterline with Fascinating Eye Kohl and then apply wispy false lashes and black mascara.
- With a light hand, apply Band of Roses or Tippy blush to the cheeks and use an iridescent powder or eye shadow to highlight.
- For the lips apply a pink lip stain and top with clear gloss and a dab of Comet Blue Dazzleglass or Del Norte lipglass (from the Rodarte collection) in the centre of the lips.
- Finish the look by placing one hand lightly on one cheek and setting your face into a vacant, haunting stare. *completely optional*

Curly1908

Hmm...the recent price increases put the nail in the coffin. I'll be skipping this collection and sparing my conscience.
tong.gif

blazeno.8

Quote:

The first thing I think of when I thought of sleep walker was this image of Liya Kebede:
LiyaKebede.jpg

That being said, this is a very hard look to recreate because whenever I've done it, the flash makes it incredibly unflattering and I need to take pictures with ample daylight:
IMGP3889-1.jpg

I can't remember what I used, but the gist is that you can add pops of color on:
Brow highlight or tear duct (try vanilla pigment, pink opal, frozen white, or some of the iridescent colors offered by Trucco or The Body Shop)
Cheeks. Start with a matte pink or coral blush and then use something like an MSF to give a glow to that color.
Lips: Use a glaze lipstick or a frost lipstick and layer it with something else like a creamy lip gloss.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeno.8
The first thing I think of when I thought of sleep walker was this image of Liya Kebede:
LiyaKebede.jpg

That being said, this is a very hard look to recreate because whenever I've done it, the flash makes it incredibly unflattering and I need to take pictures with ample daylight:
IMGP3889-1.jpg

I can't remember what I used, but the gist is that you can add pops of color on:
Brow highlight or tear duct (try vanilla pigment, pink opal, frozen white, or some of the iridescent colors offered by Trucco or The Body Shop)
Cheeks. Start with a matte pink or coral blush and then use something like an MSF to give a glow to that color.
Lips: Use a glaze lipstick or a frost lipstick and layer it with something else like a creamy lip gloss.

That's gorgeous!