Working for Sephora

Tatyiona

I have a meeting with a manager next week and I don't know if I should tell her I blog. Some companies *cough MAC* looks down on that. If I want to stay and grow in the company what position should I go for? I know someone in here said don't go for an artist position if you want to be management someday. What's the average starting wage?

EdgyTrends86

There will be a sephora opening in my town ( so pumped) and they are accepting, applications, opening will be in May and I worry about my .... "edgier" look i.e. I possess a side cut (which can be covered) and I have gauges. I am more then willing to part with my facial piercings. hair grows back, My gauges are my blood sweat and tears though! I have been told I can have them as long as you wear solids. I have sent my resume and received an email back . so now I am in a tizzy since i know this is a trendy environment and the "modern" casual interview outfit would probably be preferred to show some sens of style (leave the furs and leopard prints at bay , yes I know this!) but spring is in the air and I was thinking a nice billowy blouse with a cami and some tight black slacks and some nuetral flats. Pleas any tips, tricks, would be more then appreciated since I made a username for this exact! subject =)

chelleychell

How long did it take for you guys to hear back after your second interview?
I had a group interview a week ago and they called me right away to ask me for a second interview with the store director yesterday, I went in and feel pretty confident :) he said to make sure I told my references they were going to call, but so far nothing..

Jenbunny39

Hi everyone! The advice on this thread so far has been AWESOME!!!! I just filled out an application to work at Sephora a couple of days ago! I was shopping in the mall and saw their "Now hiring" Sign. I was thinking about taking on another PT job since I only work 30-35 hours a week at my FT job. It turns out the skin care lead is actually being promoted and is looking to fill her own position! We had a great conversation, and she loved my resume since I have retail management experience, and experience working in skincare/cosmetics at Clarins. She said the store manager is out of town until next week, but she gave me her card, and the manager's card and asked me to follow up if I hadn't heard anything in a week or so. She did say they've been super busy helping out with the new store, so If I didn't hear back in a week it's only because they're helping out with the new store opening.

It sounds really promising, and working at Sephora would be a dream job!!! Just wondering if anyone knows what exactly are the duties of a skin care lead? Is it a salaried position or hourly? Do they give "mini facials" like at clarins? Most of the thread has info on working in the color department, but if anyone could describe what the duties are in the skin care department, that would be great! Thanks!!!

Willa

Hey girls,

Been a while since I posted!

Anyway, the good news is that they are FINALLY opening a Sephora downtown Montreal, and there will be a Make Up For Ever boutique in there.

I'll be working in that boutique, as I was an employee for MUFE before (got closed down in 2011 at The Bay).
Technically I won't be a Sephora employee as my pay will be delivered by MUFE.

I was wondering if anyone heard anything about blogging while working for Sephora, as a coworker told me her friend had to shut down her blog, or lose her job.
Did you guy hear anything about this?

I love blogging and right now in Quebec we don't have a lot of french blogs... and mine is getting quite popular.
I don't wan't to stop, but don't want to lose my job either...
sigh.gif

user97

Hi! I applied at a Sephora inside JC Penny. I know its not the same store as the ones in the mall but I really like the location its at and right now I'm working at a TGF Haircutter as a stylist for 2 years. I've been interested in trying something new and different. I also need a better paying job. I'm working way too hard for what they pay. I'd work at a different salon but I don't have time to build up clientel again and I know my clients aren't gonna follow. I wanna stay in the beauty industry and I know having a license looks good. I'm not trying to make this long and boring so I will get on with it. Lol.

I knew they were hiring so I walked in and talked to a girl and left my resume.
I wait a few days and called the manager was busy. A couple days before Mother's Day I called again and finally got a hold of a manager and she told me that she has my resume pulled aside and that she cant do any interviews until shes gets the go ahead from JC Penny and she said that she would call me after Mothers Day weekend since things were really busy for them that weekend. And she thanked me for calling me.

Its been about a week and I still haven't heard anything. I don't know how long it takes for them to have permission do interviews or anything. I don't wanna bother them but I know I should be persistant at the same time.

My questions are: Should I call them Monday(tomorrow)? And what does a product consultant start off making? Rates are different for everyone I've heard. I just kinda want an idea. You can message me if you want or reply on here.

Thank you for your help. Please please please respond!

(i wasnt sure where to post this post, so it might be sent somewhere to) lol. =]

cleopatrananton

I haven't worked for Sephora, but a couple of my friends have. One worked inside JCPenney and one worked at a free standing store. When you work at the ones inside JCPenney, you work for JCPenney, not Sephora. One thing both of them told me is that pay is based on experience, so you can really negotiate salary there if you are experienced in cosmetics. I have always heard wonderful things through the years from people that have worked for JCPenney. And now, they have a new-ish CEO that is really revamping the stores and making them better. The only downside I could see is when they have extended hours during the holidays. JCPenney is open until midnight a lot during the Christmas season. Other than that, I don't know of any other negatives.

And yes, I think you should give her a phone call. :) Good luck!

cleopatrananton

Forgot to add - my friend that worked at Sephora inside JCPenney made $17 an hour to start. He also got quarterly bonuses for making sales goals, etc. He, at that time had about 20+ years experience in the cosmetics industry and had worked for Estee Lauder, Lancome, YSL, La Mer, Trish McEvoy at major dept stores Saks, Nordstrom and Younkers. Sephora/JCPenney brought him in as a senior product consultant.

My other friend had no cosmetics experience before landing her job at the freestanding Sephora. Just retail experience, not sure how many years of retail, but probably not tons as she was only 20 when she got the job there. She made $9 an hour to start as well as quarterly bonuses for meeting and exceeding sales goals.

Hope that helps a bit and again, good luck!

user97

Thank you so much! I didn't have time to call them today. I will tomorrow when I go on break at work. I just hate feeling like a bother, but I really want this. lol.

KatieRose

Just joined to thank everyone that has contributed their experiences in this thread so far! I interviewed for a position with a new Sephora inside JCPenney that is opening by my house. The position was a full time spot, Senior Education Consultant, and I felt well-qualified, but I think I was too nervous in my interview because I wanted the job so much. :( I didn't get it, but it wasn't a total rejection- I was offered a part time sales consultant position, which I had to turn down because I need a full time cash flow right now. Tomorrow morning I'm interviewing for a full time Beauty Advisor spot at a local Macy's, so I've appreciated the insights in those threads on here, too. Best of luck to everyone in your interviews and endeavors... if I can leave you with any advice, it is to be passionate, be ready to give specific examples of your awesomeness from your previous jobs, and really emphasize your ability to close sales.

oryx808

Recently got hired for Overnight Recovery position, and I have managed to not ask about pay and I start work in two days.
If the pay is low, I plan to ditch it.

Anybody here once worked overnight recovery? or know somebody that does/has? What is the pay like?

It's graveyard shift doing all the dirty work, I expect the pay to be decent relative to an areas minimum wage.

I know this is an old thread, but I have an interview tommorrow with Sephora, and I am in Canada too. I have some questions about how things are done, like is training done while the store is open?, or is it done before the store opens? I have never seen anyone train staff at our Sephora, and I shop there all the time.

I had my interview, and it was just by myself. I was told that there is two parts- and that I would have to do another interview- this time doing a makeover, since I was interested in color. This was Fri, and she said I would get a call on Mon to set up a time. Well, Mon has come and gone, and no phone call. Hope that is not a bad sign
nope.gif
I'm kinda getting nervous now. I did feel good about the interview. I am a little older, so that kinda shakes my confidence a bit.

brokenxbeauty

You should call them! Maybe they forgot or have been busy. Don't let your opportunity slip away by waiting for them to call.