Working for Sephora

Thanks! I did call them today, and they HAVE been busy. I was going crazy-totally stressed out, and I just couldn't wait anymore. They said they would call me tomorrow since today was the supervisors day off. They told me that it was good that I called. So I guess it was OK, I just didn't want to sound too desperate. I still have to have my second interview- probably will be on Thurs. So crazy what we have to go through to get this job!! Since they want me to do a makeover on one of their staff, any suggestions on what I should do?, and what to wear to the second interview would be helpful as well Thanks in advance!!!
flower.gif

nik g

In case you didn't have your interview yet:

Go with a look you can do very well. Know that the focus at Sephora inside JCPenney is COLOR. :) If you want to be safe, go with a green or plum smokey eye...not grey or brown. You can also take hints from their Look Book or any of the pictures you see in the store. At Sephora inside JCPenney we do 'Express Services,' not makeovers. They likely aren't going to expect you to do a full on makeover as that isn't what we do in stores. It's not like a position at MAC. They will probably ask you to color match foundation and perhaps do a cheek/lip service or an eye service. Practice and consider your looks beforehand. Take time to choose your products...and make sure you're practicing good hygiene. Ask them where their tools, sanitizer, etc are beforehand...and organize them so you're not scattering about. :)

P.S. it took nearly 2 full months and 5 interviews for me to get hired as a Beauty Leader. It was a long process but very much worth it...and I appreciated the process. :)

nik g

Also, those concerned about their look when applying to Sephora inside JCPenney shouldn't be. Our dress code is simple...we are given costumes. If you are interviewing, wear all black...slacks and a nice shirt/blouse is fine. Hair can be any color, any style. Makeup can be as far out as can be...or toned down....although wearing color (as opposed to neutrals) is better. You have to wear at least 2 eye shadow colors. You may have tattoos and facial/body piercings. If you have any tattoos that could be deemed offensive, cover them. If you have gauges, just wear the jewelry that fills the holes in. If you wear jewelry, make sure it is very toned down and understated. Small loops or studs is best. The focus is on the face and nails...not on wearing trendy clothes or jewelry. Don't be afraid to be yourself just because it's Sephora inside JCPenney. We are not hired by JCPenney...we are hired by Sephora. We follow Sephora's dress code, rules, etc :)

xStarryEyedX

Hi all- thinking about applying at a sephora.. Just relocated to a new area,, was previously working at mac. Only thing is I have a surface piercing on my wrist.. Would this be a problem?

Thanks for the great advice! I did have my second interview- and I had to do an eye look on one of the other girls that work there! Talk about nerve wracking! I think it went well, and the manager watched as I did it. She then told me that they liked me, and that I should hear back from them either that night, or the next day. She said she didn't have the authority to hire me, as she was the assistant(don't remember what her position was called) She also said that I was probably going to get it. Two days later, I still have not heard back from them. What do I do now? It is a long weekend here in Canada, so maybe there is a delay because of that. I am not good at waiting, I have never had to wait this long before to find out if I have a job or not...
th_rolleye0014.gif
I think if they don't call soon I will have to call them- just to keep my sanity!! Oh by the way, I don't work at a JCPenney Sephora. However, it is a very small store, and in a mall.

cleopatrananton

It's the weekend, I wouldn't expect to hear anything until the weekend is over. Busiest time in retail and all that. If you haven't heard anything by Monday afternoon, I'd call. Good luck!

Hi again! I did call on Monday, and they said that because of the long weekend, they were still trying to get in contact with my references. I can't do any more about it, so now I just wait and see. I will keep you updated!

BeautyNDreaming

Hello,

So, I totally applied to Sephora about a month ago. I am a college graduate, I have 10 years experience in Retail and I am pursuing a career in the beauty and cosmetic industry. In years to come I really want to run my own business. I wrote an excellent cover letter and got a call back in 5 days for a group interview. I totally was shocked when it was only 3 of us interviewing. The other two girls had worked for Ulta and were very barbie like. One girl even told the Store Director that she gave away free things at her current job, which was very shocking for me. Being in retail unless approved by management you should never ever give away anything for free...anyway. So the interview went well and 4 days later I received a call back for a second interview. The interview consisted of me sitting in the office with the Store Director. My interview was an hour long. Meanwhile all my references have been called, I am pretty sure they did a background check and everything. Unfortunately though I don't think I got the job. I had the interview a week from today and training starts Tuesday, July 10th. It is a location that is relocating to where I live, and I would of thought since I have a current job they would have called me by now. She told me she would make her final decisions either by last Friday or over the weekend and I could expect a call next week....which is now this week. I called yesterday, but no one in the store answered. I am assuming it was closed. Today is the 4th of July and I am assuming that they are closed today. I left a message on the Store Director line telling her how much I enjoyed our interview and I hope to hear from her soon. What do you guys think? Do you think I have a shot. I know they asked all my references questions about Management? So...hmm.. I am wondering, Praying hoping....please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

Well, I totally know how you are feeling! I had my last interview a week ago today as well, so I am not as sure as I was last week. They did call yesterday, to tell me that they were having problems reaching my references, and could I give them some new ones. So I did, and now I wait. Nothing more we can do- I have a job that I like right now as well, but I am just not getting enough hours to make it worth my while. So If I don't get it, I still have this job(which is in a local drugstore in the cosmetics dept) Hope it all works out for you, and me!
thmbup.gif

BeautyNDreaming

Well all of my waiting was worth it! I just got hired yesterday! Its part-time for now, but she said that I have the potential to move up soon! I am soooo super excited. And this is a brand new store that is moving to a new location! YAY! I am so happy!
yahoo.gif

Just keep on trucking! You will get the job! Good luck to you!

Quote: "Well, I totally know how you are feeling! I had my last interview a week ago today as well, so I am not as sure as I was last week. They did call yesterday, to tell me that they were having problems reaching my references, and could I give them some new ones. So I did, and now I wait. Nothing more we can do- I have a job that I like right now as well, but I am just not getting enough hours to make it worth my while. So If I don't get it, I still have this job(which is in a local drugstore in the cosmetics dept) Hope it all works out for you, and me!
thmbup.gif
"

So after almost 4 weeks of wondering, and waiting, Sephora called today, and offered me a job!!
eeksign.gif
yahoo.gif
I was hoping to be hired for color, but she said I would be skincare to start, and would be doing both. I sure hope so, because I have read that they don't switch it up very often. I can do it, because I have had experience in my previous jobs with skincare, its just not my passion. But I am very relieved, and excited
rasta.gif
, and ready to go! She wants me to start training next week- wish me luck, and if you have any advice to give me as I start this new job, I would love to hear it!!!
th_happy1.gif

WifeyMama

ACTUALLY, not true. Employees in Sephora in JCP are the same as employees in Sephora independent. It's just more like a shoppe than a store. Definitely not a lower quality employee, same benefits, etc. So please be nice not elitist. Thanks! :)

cleopatrananton

Thanks for clarifying that Sephora inside JCPenney are Sephora employees.....though I am confused by that since you apply for those positions through JCPenney.

Also, not sure who you are addressing as being elitist?

I was wondering if anyone knew where to find a list of positions and descriptions for freestanding Sephoras? I know the store director, color lead, skincare lead, ect but was also wondering if anyone knew about the opportunities in education jobs as well or brand representatives (even though I know they are not hired through sephora). Thanks!!

Honesty0410

Hi everyone!

I'm a former MAC makeup artist thinking about applying to Sephora. I had a questions though. Did you guys see job postings for positions at your local Sephora, or did you just walk in there and hand in your resume?

Thanks everyone!

I am currently an SEC and I love my job :) A service lead expert is not part of SiJCP though. In SiJCP they have 3-4 full time positions depending on the store. The Beauty Leader, The Senior Education Consultant (some stores have 2) and the Operations Consultant. They also have part-time Product Consultants (depends on the store for how many, usually 4-5). The SEC works under the Beauty Leader to help coach, educate, and lead the team. You have to be the example in the store of excellent client service and educate the team on agendas the company gives you as well as any other product knowledge/techniques they need. It's also important to be organized and on top of required training and analyzing sales. The pay honestly depends on location, store, experience, ect but you do get monthly bonuses depending on % of sales goals and you get gratis monthly. You do have to be available to work some nights and pretty much every weekend, but it's worth it :) Let me know if you'd like to know anything else!

a0a094

Thanks so much for answering! They are advertising for both positions. I wasn't sure which one to apply for. I have 12 years retail experience. The last several years were in management, but haven't worked in retail since 1997. Since then I have 7 years management experience. I took the last two years off and I'm looking for something fun where I don't have to work 60 hours. I know the pay will be much lower, but I'm ok with that.

Latest posts