Working for Sephora

LittleBirdie

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, nice to meet you all!

I just started as a seasonal cast member at Sephora and I was wondering if someone could help me with a question about gratis, does anyone know if seasonal cast members are allotted less of it than regular cast members? My position and it's duties are identical to that of a permanent position, I'm on the low end of full time and I'm in color. Also my store does not require people to participate in trainings to get gratis, it gets passed out regardless of whether or not you are present that day.

LittleBirdie

Hi,

I think your outfit sounds perfect, the point is to be as professional as possible- I understand that Sephora is seen as a place that is fun, creative and artistic (which it is) however during the initial interview you still want to dress like you would in a business setting.

xStarryEyedX

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, nice to meet you all!

I just started as a seasonal cast member at Sephora and I was wondering if someone could help me with a question about gratis, does anyone know if seasonal cast members are allotted less of it than regular cast members? My position and it's duties are identical to that of a permanent position, I'm on the low end of full time and I'm in color. Also my store does not require people to participate in trainings to get gratis, it gets passed out regardless of whether or not you are present that day.
I think I've heard that seasonal employees don't get the same gratis as permanent employees... I feel like I've even heard that some don't get any gratis, but I've never worked there I'm just going by what I think I remember hearing... Someone correct me if I'm wrong

LittleBirdie

It's true- we barely get any gratis, sometimes companies are nice enough to bring gratis for everybody-- however most of the time i.e 95% of the time, its only for "core" employees. After 2.5 weeks of working 5-6 days I still only have 1 item while we literally have a different brand rep (sometimes 2!!) everyday (we are a big store) which equals 5-6 items per week.

We don't even get to wear the real uniforms.
oh.gif

xStarryEyedX

It's true- we barely get any gratis, sometimes companies are nice enough to bring gratis for everybody-- however most of the time i.e 95% of the time, its only for "core" employees. After 2.5 weeks of working 5-6 days I still only have 1 item while we literally have a different brand rep (sometimes 2!!) everyday (we are a big store) which equals 5-6 items per week.

We don't even get to wear the real uniforms.
oh.gif
Whoa, it's really that different? I got called for a seasonal position and turned it down, you're making me feel like I really made the right decision. I told them nicely to call me if something permanent popped up.

BrickiLee

@DzynaGirl

Actually, those of us who work for Sephora inside jcp ARE jcp employees. We are under jcp's payroll and go through jcp training. However, after jcp training, we also obviously went through Sephora inside jcp SOS training, because jcp and Sephora have a partnership. You are right that neither company owns or has rights to the other.

AjaAbeni

Hello Everyone!!!!
peace2.gif
wow its been so long since ive posted anything, lol but ive been lurking lol. anywho i have a couple of questions i hope you ladies ( and gents) could help me with.....I applied to a local Sephora 2 weeks ago, i got a heads up from my "referenecs" that they were called. Is that a GOOD sign of me landing the job? Also could one work at Macy's in cosmetics as a Flex Worker AND Sephora? Would there be any conflicts?

Thank you....

BrickiLee

@bpretty

I'm currently the Senior Education Consultant at SiJCP. I opened the new store in our area, so I totally know what it's like to be in a brand new SiJCP! congrats! I can give you a brief synopsis of the positions at Sephora inside jcp:

The first permanent position is Product Consultant, as you are already aware of. The key responsibilities include duties client service, product knowledge, and rapport building. We are huge on getting our clients to LOVE us!

The next two positions are the Operations Consultant, and the Senior Education Consultant. The Operations Consultant (OPS) is responsible for handling everything from animations/displays to stock/shipments, and making sure the logistics of the store are handled according to SiJCP's core standards (which you'll learn more about during training).

The Senior Education Consultant (SEC) is responsible for training and educating the team, driving sales, and being the model for excellent client service. We also are the person who is "in charge" in the absence of the Beauty Leader.

The Beauty Leader (BL) is well, the leader of the store! BL's are responsible for overseeing all of the above positions. In other retail environments, this position would be called the 'store manager'.

In terms of being able to move up, the next position after the Product Consultant position would be either the OPS or SEC position. From my knowledge, there are only one of each in every SiJCP store. So, work hard and you may be considered for a promotion at your store or another store in the future!

Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions!

BrickiLee

@AjaAbeni

It sounds very promising that your references were called! Did you interview yet?

And typically, working for two cosmetics companies at once is indeed considered a conflict of interest. So I'd definitely double check.

beautymonster13

An update: After completing 3 interviews, I was offered the position of a color lead. The pay is $17/hr plus bonuses. 32-40 hours per a week. 2 weeks vacation, health benefits, and a 4% contributing 401k. Thought this may be helpful to others interviewing or trying to move up in the Sephora world

AjaAbeni

An update: After completing 3 interviews, I was offered the position of a color lead. The pay is $17/hr plus bonuses. 32-40 hours per a week. 2 weeks vacation, health benefits, and a 4% contributing 401k. Thought this may be helpful to others interviewing or trying to move up in the Sephora world
CONGRATS!!!!!! Im hoping wiht all my might *fingers crossed* that i get a call back. lol

hannahtran

Hello everyone,

I've been wanting to apply to a Sephora store. I am very passionate about beauty products and really want to get a career in makeup. From what I have read, Sephora would be a good place to start. However, I have never been trained professionally and I don't have real retail experience. What I do have is experiences from working in two different restaurants as a cashier and server. I do have great knowledge of brands & products, makup applications & techniques (I'm a serious addict). My knowledge comes from reading reviews, blogs, watching youtubes, etc. I am a people person, quick learner, and hard worker.

I guess my question is what is the likelihood of landing an interview with Sephora? Some of you might say just go ahead apply and see what happens. I really want to apply but at the same time, I don't want to look so stupid and embarrass myself due to lack of retail and/or makeup-related experience. What is your word of advice?

xStarryEyedX

Hello everyone,

I've been wanting to apply to a Sephora store. I am very passionate about beauty products and really want to get a career in makeup. From what I have read, Sephora would be a good place to start. However, I have never been trained professionally and I don't have real retail experience. What I do have is experiences from working in two different restaurants as a cashier and server. I do have great knowledge of brands & products, makup applications & techniques (I'm a serious addict). My knowledge comes from reading reviews, blogs, watching youtubes, etc. I am a people person, quick learner, and hard worker.

I guess my question is what is the likelihood of landing an interview with Sephora? Some of you might say just go ahead apply and see what happens. I really want to apply but at the same time, I don't want to look so stupid and embarrass myself due to lack of retail and/or makeup-related experience. What is your word of advice?
Honestly, I think you'll be okay. You clearly love the industry, and I think as long as they see that+ you express that you're willing/eager to learn they should love you:). I'd rather hire someone with little to no experience but a passion for the industry, than someone who has all the experience but doesn't care. If nothing else they could always start you as a cashier until you learn also:)

user97

I winded up not getting a call back, i called 4 times talked to the manager and she said she would call me and that they are still in the hiring process. I winded up getting an amazing job in the jcp salon. so i guess it all worked out in the end. I go to that sephora since i get my discount for working at jcp and she seems like a bitch. I can actually say I'm glad I didn't get the job. lol.

Prettydash06

Hello All!
I recently moved to Arkansas,and applied for two positions at two Different Sephora's in the Arkansas area. One is inside JCPenney, the other a stand-alone.
I don't have much retail sales exp (besides working at a Wetseal 3 months,and Wendy's 1.5yr back in high school). I have been a Dental Hygienist the past 2 years, but also Freelancing (Bridal, Photoshoots, Special Events) the past 3 years. I also have done well with my Youtube Channel, and making partner with YT/Google (Before they allowed everyone to be a partner and you had to submit a request to be one).
I would consider myself somewhat a candidate for the Sephora Product Consultant position due to my abibility to target my YT audience in sales and my love/reviews for products I purchase or recieve from vendors as reviews, as well as taking Makeup Theatre courses in college,but as far as Beauty Sales, I have none in a Company!
I have a an extreme passion for Art and Beauty. I'd hope to become more exp. in color, sales tactics (since I do want to make a new career in Beauty Sales), as well learn in depth about Sephora's Brand/Product, and be more behind the scenes! (A lot to want, I know!)
Ultimately, landing Color Consultant for Sephora down the line, is more realistic, but I understand I may have to be Cashier or Cash Wrap starting out, and I totally understand "paying my dues" if granted the opportunity, you know?!!
My good friend, an Esthetician, is the Senior Beauty Educator (Not sure of the exact title) at the Sehora in our hometown and strongly advised me to apply for both positions.

Any Advice, Resume/Port. Suggestions?
I applied online JCP but it seemed more geared to JCP jobs, not Beauty.Sephora.
Also my resume is geared more Dental, Do I need to have a separate one?

Any Info would be most helpful!

VanessaS

HI there,
It sounds like you would do great at sephora! I think you should have a new resume but instead of it being past job based have it skills and experience bassed example: Mcdonalds november 2008-2009
-worked with high volume of clients ( use the sephora lingo)
-works well under pressure
- worked with tight dead lines.
that way even though you dont have to much retail experience it will show that you still have all the great skills and knowlage that they want. Also a cover letter highlighting you passion for beauty and how you want to grow with the company. Also make sure you add your freelance information as well.

I hope that helps I have worked at sephora for 3 months now but I have also seen how they do the hiring process and what they look for in cast members.
Also I recommend you go into the sephora store and apply in person at my location whenever someone applies the DIC ( managers) always end up talking to them.
Also we just hired a bunch of people for seasonal so your location might still be hiring for their holiday people.

Anyways I hoped this helped

Hina1176

Hi there , Hope you are doing great and Congratulations for getting into sephora, i went through a group interview and now i have to give away one on one interview with the store director, i wanted to know what questions they might ask and would they ask to do a demo?

VanessaS

Hi there,
thats great that you got a one on one interview! Well they pretty much ask you the same questions that they did in the group interview. I was interview for operations consultant so they were asking me questions about organization and my task managment skills. At the end of my interview she did give my a time and day for the demo. All new hires have to do a demo, color, skin, ops, and cashwrap.

Latest posts