Working for Sephora

SaraStopSign

I have a question. I just got hired. It was for Seasonal but in my interview the Manager said that she wouldnt mind if i stayed longer, she didnt care. Is this true? And I have experince with makeup artistry and Skin therapy. I graduated beauty school. Do you think this would give me a chance to stay and work my way up/

AmyBabyyy

Hi everyone! its been 3 days since I applied for sephora inside Jcpenney online after I went in to ask if they we're hiring and the lady said yes:) I'm 17 years old, and never worked before (everybodys gotta start somewhere right?) .. but I really want to work at sephora and learn more about makeup & customer service, this is my dream job. I'm a great people person and I know a LOT about the products at sephora, since I spend most of my money there :p I was wondering how long it takes for them to call me back for an interview (if they even call me back lol) because I'm so excited!! And how things went for anyone else who has worked/is working for a sephora inside Jcpenney?? :)

xxamanda

Hello everyone, I'm Amanda
th_hello2.gif

I'm brand new to the forum - I'd like to ask you a few questions!

There is a new Sephora store opening up in my local mall, so I applied & got a call from the manager! I have a one-on-one interview this Saturday with the hiring manager. I plan on wearing a black sweater dress w/ grey accents, black leggings and some black boots w/ a few accessories, as it is very cold here, but I'd like to show a bit of personality while still presenting myself professionally.

For makeup I plan on doing a very neutral eye w/ winged liner and a bright, slightly ombre lip - So Chaud by MAC w/ Auburn liner underneath to give it more of a red tone. I was going to do MAC Diva, but I figured it might be too much for a first interview, especially with my fair skin.

Does the outfit & makeup sound okay? Please let me know if you think I should switch anything up!

Also, I currently work at Macy's in cosmetics - I was the counter manager for Philosophy for about a year, then moved back down to part time because I started school.
Is there anything that I should incorporate from Macy's into my interview?

Any other tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

MUAclaudia

I'm new to this website! But i was interested in applying for sephora. Just want to know do they offer health insurance? Also how many hours do they consider part time? Like 30 hours or is it 20 hours or do u pick how many hours u can work every week? Just curious what is the starting pay for a makeup artist there?

idk if they have told you this when you applied but you cant use the sephora discount at a self standing sephora store ... can only get your discount at jcpenny locations. which is really dumb and stupid....why this rule? i have no idea.....i found this out trying to purchase items at a jcpenny location when i work at an actual sephora store. if you want to work at sephora, your better off applying at the actual store.

I'm new to this website! But i was interested in applying for sephora. Just want to know do they offer health insurance? Also how many hours do they consider part time? Like 30 hours or is it 20 hours or do u pick how many hours u can work every week? Just curious what is the starting pay for a makeup artist there?
they do offer health insurance for full time cast members. for my store they consider i believe ... anything under 30 part-time??? we cant actually pick up our own hours if we wished to have more....but thats at my location. im not too sure how it is at others. starting pay depends on your expierence.

BrickiLee

idk if they have told you this when you applied but you cant use the sephora discount at a self standing sephora store ... can only get your discount at jcpenny locations. which is really dumb and stupid....why this rule? i have no idea.....i found this out trying to purchase items at a jcpenny location when i work at an actual sephora store. if you want to work at sephora, your better off applying at the actual store.
That's true that SiJCP associates can't use the discount at freestanding Sephoras, but the awesome thing about it is that we get 25% off of Sephora AND jcp merchandise. And in my city, our SiJCP is actually bigger than our freestanding in the mall!

BrickiLee

Oh and by the way, SiJCP is an "actual" Sephora store. We carry just as many (if not more) brands as a freestanding. We are just inside jcpenney.

Oh and by the way, SiJCP is an "actual" Sephora store. We carry just as many (if not more) brands as a freestanding. We are just inside jcpenney.
that varies with location. the one i went to was very small and didnt even carry the mascara i wanted, the cast member didnt even know what i was talking about. which is fine, because also at my location we dont carry quite everything we need to either. so location does vary.

BrickiLee

Y
that varies with location. the one i went to was very small and didnt even carry the mascara i wanted, the cast member didnt even know what i was talking about. which is fine, because also at my location we dont carry quite everything we need to either. so location does vary.
You're right. It does vary by location. I've been to other SiJCP's. But ours is the largest Sephora I've seen (freestanding or not) thus far, which surprises a lot of people! :)

eileenjoh

Hi! I just made an account here and after reading about all the helpful advice I was hoping to get some help, myself!

I've worked in the restaurant industry as a server for about 4 years and Starbucks for about half a year. Basically, food/drinks are my only work experience. I've strayed away from retail until now because I always thought it wouldn't be enough pay for a college student. I just quit a place I've only worked at for a month because I didn't like the late night life at a bar, so now I'm desperate for a job and actually liking what I hear about working at Sephora. I'm not very girly...but if there's anything girly about me it would be the time I spend on make up. I don't go too cray with it; just shop online at ELF mostly for affordable but nice products. I've become more interested in makeup lately, though, and have been watching youtube tutorials, reading magazines, and am just interested in the aesthetic perspective of it.

So since I haven't worked at retail before would that be ok? I'm really nervous about what questions they'll ask or what kind of person they're looking for. I feel like I'm not "girly" enough to be considered...like if they asked questions about the current trends in the makeup world or such, I would have no clue. What should I wear? How should I present myself? How much is the pay?

Hi! I just made an account here and after reading about all the helpful advice I was hoping to get some help, myself!

I've worked in the restaurant industry as a server for about 4 years and Starbucks for about half a year. Basically, food/drinks are my only work experience. I've strayed away from retail until now because I always thought it wouldn't be enough pay for a college student. I just quit a place I've only worked at for a month because I didn't like the late night life at a bar, so now I'm desperate for a job and actually liking what I hear about working at Sephora. I'm not very girly...but if there's anything girly about me it would be the time I spend on make up. I don't go too cray with it; just shop online at ELF mostly for affordable but nice products. I've become more interested in makeup lately, though, and have been watching youtube tutorials, reading magazines, and am just interested in the aesthetic perspective of it.

So since I haven't worked at retail before would that be ok? I'm really nervous about what questions they'll ask or what kind of person they're looking for. I feel like I'm not "girly" enough to be considered...like if they asked questions about the current trends in the makeup world or such, I would have no clue. What should I wear? How should I present myself? How much is the pay?
YES! even though you havent worked in retail, serving is still costumer service. thats what happened to me... all my jobs have been revolving around restuarant and food....had no retail experience what so ever. you dont need to be savvy with makeup to work at sephora. theyll probably start you out on cashier if anything, which isnt too hard to learn especially since you know how to make transactions and what not because of serving. i will tell you this though, the hours and pay may be little compared to what you are making as a server right now...which im sure youve already considered.

Wandalemur

Hey every body! I have an interview on Tuesday for a beauty leader in a sephora at jcpenney. It sounds like a management position from the job description. I've been in retail for 17 years. So i have loads of retail management experience but I'm wondering what kind of position this is? Is it part time or full time? Is it an assistant manager position? If anyone know anything about the beauty leader position and could tell me about it I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

BrickiLee

Hi!

I'm the Senior Education Consultant at our SiJCP. I'm one step below the Beauty Leader...BL is the "manager" of SiJCP. So yes, it is a full time position. Basically, you oversee everything that goes on inside Sephora inside jcp. You will also act as an LOD (leader on duty) for jcp. But that is pretty rare. Do you have any experience managing in cosmetics?

Good Luck!

Justme43

I am 43 years old and work at Sephora. I am not the oldest employee there! Go for it! They are more concerned with your as a person, your personality and how you are with customers.

yrm11713

Hi everyone! I handed my application and resume to one of the managers at the Sephora near where I live yesterday and I have a couple of questions for those who work there now or those who got a group interview: how long after you submitted your application and resume did they call to schedule the group interview? And if I don't hear from them in about a week should I call and follow up with my application?

I think I did everything I could when I went in and asked for an application and then submitted it, at least I hope I did everything I could! I'm really nervous because I've never wanted a job so badly, an opportunity to work at Sephora would be such an honor and it would hopefully be the start to my career in the beauty and cosmetic industry. Please let me know! Thanks!

Cali1luv

Hi. I posted a new thread then I didn't realize that maybe this was a better thread to ask my question.

I was wondering if anyone here has info about being a brand rep inside Sephora? I was told to try and contact the company direct or go on their website. I tried that but I didn't see really any info.

Any help that I get would be appreciated!

Thanks!

lerdy

Hey girls. I came across this blog about sephora, i was searching on how to know the status of your sephora job application. I live in new york, i apply to like 5 different sephora stores, in one of them the manager really like me, due to my answer to her question, Manager; why sephora? Me; because sephora is my dream job ! Manager; really, why is that? Me; because i love cosmetic, and i have a strong passion for makeup and skincare. That i will like to work in environment in where everyone is always happy, and having fun with what they do, and based on the research i made about sephora and for what i have seen, i came to the conclusion that sephora is the place in where i want to be because they treat their employess with allot of professionalism and respect. And that i would like to come in to a work place in where not only ill be working but will also be learning and doing what i love, which is working with cosmetics, and sephora is the only place that offers that. Manager! was really surprise with my answer, she had like a wow expression, then she told me that she really like me, and that she will personally hand my application to her boss, and that if they are hiring that i will get a call in like two weeks. Im kind of neourvice because its been like a week since the interview, and it makes me think that they dont need anyone for now, and that the interview was more of a routine, idk, or maybe is it me, but i have seen that some job applicants get a call right away. Should i go and apply again. Im really down and loosing my hopes. Do i really have a shot on getting in or not.

makeupmama4

Hi everyone! Newbie here and this is my first post. I want to work for Sophora sooooo bad it's all I can think about but I'm really nervous about turning in my résumé ( I've had an application for over 6 months now)! I've never worked in cosmetics before but I have A TON of customer service and retail experience so I know that wouldn't be a problem but here comes the reason why I'm sooooo nervous to go for it........I have 2 misdemeanor on my record! I know that all applications ask the question, "have you ever been convicted of a crime" but after reading the second page of the application, I knew that they really would check. Then after reading a few posts on here, I knew that they defiantly would! If this was any other job, I would just go for it,( I have had jobs since then that did background checks and I got the job but maybe it was just a credit check?) but this is SOPHORA! Plus, there are only 2 close to where I live, one inside of a JC Penny's but its sooooo small and the people who work there are clueless and also not very friendly. The other store is huge and everyone is soooo nice, have amazing product knowledge and if one cast member doesn't know the answer, they will find a one that does. A lot of them know me by now since I'm there 2 or 3 times a month but after reading what the hiring proses is, I know that the last step would be the dreaded background check! BTW, the 2 misdemeanors that I have on my record is, prescription drug forgery that happened in 2006. The second was for theft that happened in 2008. Also, I'm not on probation and i haven't been since 2009 or 2010.If I made it through all the interviews just to be told that I didn't get the job because of my past, I would be mortified and wwwaaaayyy to embarrassed to show my face in there again. Then I would be screwed when it came to getting all my beauty products I can't live without! I'm sorry this post is so long but I just need to know 2 things....first, is there ANYONE who works at Sophora or someone who can tell me how extensive Sophora's background checks are? Also, when going in for your interviews, do you meet with the managers that work at that particular store and if so, do the employees see you coming in for the interviews? If SOMEONE, ANYONE who could answer those questions for me, I would soooooo appreciate it! Thank you ALL soooo much in advance for reading this and helping me out! : )