Working for Sephora

katelyn0

Not trying to be rude, but first of all, the company is spelt Sephora not Sophora. So you might want to learn how to properly spell the company's name that you're interested in working for. Second of all, if you have theft on your record your chances of getting hired in a retail environment where theft happens daily is most likely slim to none. Loss prevention and retailers don't take kindly to theft at all and have very little sympathy towards thieves. When i interviewed with sephora I know for sure they did a criminal record check. I really hope this didn't come off as bitchy/rude I was just trying to be as realistic as possible and not sugar coat things. good luck.

makeupmama4

Not trying to be rude, but first of all, the company is spelt Sephora not Sophora. So you might want to learn how to properly spell the company's name that you're interested in working for. Second of all, if you have theft on your record your chances of getting hired in a retail environment where theft happens daily is most likely slim to none. Loss prevention and retailers don't take kindly to theft at all and have very little sympathy towards thieves. When i interviewed with sephora I know for sure they did a criminal record check. I really hope this didn't come off as bitchy/rude I was just trying to be as realistic as possible and not sugar coat things. good luck.
I very much appreciate you not sugar coating the question I asked, especially since it seemed like other people with similar questions didn't get straight answers. I do however want to tell you that you did kinda come off a bit snobby/rude, by pointing out that I misspelled the company name. I know it's spelled SEPHORA but the auto correct on my phone kept changing it, (I'm on my ipad now)! I figured those who read my post knew what company I was talking about, so I kinda feel that was a low blow. Anyways, thank you again for your honesty. The good news is, that I checked with the court and found out that both charges have been dismissed due to the misunderstanding of both situations! I was going to put in my first post that both were very minor charges but I didn't want to sound as though I was making excuses and I also didn't want someone telling me that I should just explain what happened in my interview. I had already seen people post those kind of responces and I wanted the honest truth about the criminal background check and that is what you gave me...no sugar coating! Sooooo, since I don't have any discrepancies in my background, I will be turning in my résumé and application to Sephora in the next day or two and we'll see what happens! If there's anything else that I should know or expect when it comes to being interviewed or the hiring process as a whole, I would greatly appreciate any advice and/or imput. Thanks : )

makeupmama4

Hey Everyone! I first want to say that I know SEPHORA is spelled wrong on my first post because of my phones auto correct and it was also brought to my attention.....thanks again! Second, I found out that I do not have any past criminal history:bump:! I sooooo wish I had known that all these years but at least I know now, right! : ) And to repost what I just posted a few min ago...... Sooooo, since I don't have any discrepancies in my background, I will be turning in my résumé and application to Sephora in the next day or two and we'll see what happens! If there's anything else that I should know or expect when it comes to being interviewed or the hiring process as a whole, I would greatly appreciate any advice and/or imput. Thanks : )

MissTT

We have a Sephora opening up in our town next month and I can't get the idea out of my mind to apply for a job there. I've never worked in cosmetics and haven't worked in retail in 15 years, but I feel almost all jobs have some form of customer service. I definitely spend time cultivating relationships and providing services to people within our organization. Do you think applying online would be okay or should I try to go to the mall to see what's up? (Gah, it seems so strange to potentially fill out a paper application.)
With no cosmetics experience I'm not sure which positions besides cashier I would qualify for. I see Keyholder/Lead, Loss Prevention, and Stock. Anyone have feedback about those positions.

I will add that I am a full time, certified professional in HR so I'm not necessarily looking for a new career. I just think I would be good at this.

MAC_Lovin

We have a Sephora opening up in our town next month and I can't get the idea out of my mind to apply for a job there. I've never worked in cosmetics and haven't worked in retail in 15 years, but I feel almost all jobs have some form of customer service. I definitely spend time cultivating relationships and providing services to people within our organization. Do you think applying online would be okay or should I try to go to the mall to see what's up? (Gah, it seems so strange to potentially fill out a paper application.) With no cosmetics experience I'm not sure which positions besides cashier I would qualify for. I see Keyholder/Lead, Loss Prevention, and Stock. Anyone have feedback about those positions. I will add that I am a full time, certified professional in HR so I'm not necessarily looking for a new career. I just think I would be good at this.
Hi there! I currently work for Sephora and there are soo many cast members that have no makeup experience! Some don't even have retail experience! I say go for it, what's the worst that could happen? You don't get the job and you're in the same position you are now, no biggie. Everyone starts out as a cashier unless you get hired specifically as a lead. It's hard to do that though because you have to have a loooot of management experience. Also stock is working overnights doing shipment, LP isn't even employed by sephora it's just doing loss prevention like a security guard, and the lead thing I explained. All sephora applicants must go online now, we don't even accept paper applications. If I were you I'd fill out the application online and wait a few days. If you don't hear anything then go in with your résumé and ask to speak to a manager. Good luck!

MissTT

Thanks so much, MAC_Lovin. (Awesome name!) I'm just looking for a day or two per week as busy professional. The store isn't open yet so I don't know when I'll have the opportunity to speak to someone. I feel like if they see me (and my makeup) and talk to me about customer service they would want me there. I feel like I would fill a niche they don't often court. I think they would benefit extremely well from having a middle-aged, professional woman of color. Someone who understands business, sales, and customer service and isn't just there because 'OMG makeup is fun!' Of course makeup can be fun, but I think my maturity has always been one of my greatest assets. I am passionate about empowering women and that's why I feel so drawn.

MAC_Lovin

Thanks so much, MAC_Lovin. (Awesome name!) I'm just looking for a day or two per week as busy professional. The store isn't open yet so I don't know when I'll have the opportunity to speak to someone. I feel like if they see me (and my makeup) and talk to me about customer service they would want me there. I feel like I would fill a niche they don't often court. I think they would benefit extremely well from having a middle-aged, professional woman of color. Someone who understands business, sales, and customer service and isn't just there because 'OMG makeup is fun!' Of course makeup can be fun, but I think my maturity has always been one of my greatest assets. I am passionate about empowering women and that's why I feel so drawn.
Thank you!

Yeah I would agree. There's not many women that work at sephora that are of a more mature age and clients appreciate your age group! They want someone who's older to tell them about anti-aging products and what not :) Apply and see what happens!

MissTT

Good news/bad news: I look like I'm in my 20s, but I'm definitely mature.
amuse.gif
It probably would make it difficult for some women to relate to me. I'm smart and know how to make people feel good so I still think that I could still be an asset. Older women are often a bit hesitant to discuss beauty with younger folks who they feel couldn't possible relate. Even if they don't say it outright. This is especially true for people who are new to makeup/beauty products and lack confidence. I can kind of straddle that line, but looking great for my age.

I went to apply online today and they want you to upload your resume. I need to update mine first so I'll probably have to wait until the weekend. They also want to know your desired salary and available hours. They start around $10/hr right? I work until 5pm every day so I hope they'd accept my extremely limited availability.

I really appreciate your input and actually feel more confident about applying. I thought of a pt job I had two years ago that involved direct selling to women. I need to draft that up in my resume. Also need to find my resume. I've gone through 2 computers since the last time I needed one. LOL

BeautyLove88

Hi, everyone!! :) I wanted to do a quick description on my Hiring Process... So on 6/29 I applied online at Sephora(Inside a JcPenny's) & I got a call on 7/2. That call was actually a Phone Interview. So basic Questions were asked. At the end of my interview, the Manager said he would get back with me to go over my Notes/Application. And on 7/3 I got a late call back, & I am Now going in for a Group Interview. Only problem is that the other applicants wont be able to come in on Friday :( So looks like early next week, we should all be ready to go :) I'm really excited, & pumped. So thank goodness for this Thread, and everyone's input. I will now know what to expect. :) :) I'll update, if i Hear more info about my Group Interview.

P.s
I applied for the Product Consultant Position for the Sephora inside Deerbrook Mall, what can I really expect from this Position? Thanks...

MissTT

Congratulations! You must have kicked butt. So I don't understand a group interview as I've never had one before. Do you really respond to interview questions in front of the other applicants? Do you all respond to the same question or does each person answer a different question?

stephyj2012

HI I'm new to this forum so firstly hello to all :) secondlyI applied online and now I'm waiting :-( because the Sephora that I'm applying for doesn't open till October or they say fall but I also applied for the Sephora at the other mall in my city that's been open for some years now. I previously worked for SIJCP for a year as product consultant/ operations consultant so I would think that would give me a shoe in who knows :)

stephyj2012

Hi everyone!  I just filled out an application for Sephora online, and got a voicemail regarding an interview on Tuesday.  I've been reading some post about working at Sephora, but just wanted to see if anyone had anymore insight.  What are the basic credentials for becoming a colour lead?  I'm a former perm employee with MAC, but currently freelance.  I don't ever want to work perm for MAC again due to the crazy AUS pressure, but am cosistantly working 20 hours a week as a freelancer.  I'm considering leaving MAC and moving over to Sephora because I am looking to move up in a company, something that I don't want to do with MAC.  So if anyone could give me any insight on the colour lead position, or any other positions in Sephora, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you!
Hi I have a question is your Sephora already open or still in the process of being built..I'm trying to see the hiring process for a free standing Sephora that's not open yet...thanks

lizzysilverio

Hi everyone, Im new to this website!! And I saw all this great advice well I have a question im trying to work at sephora but im not sure if I need any retail experience, which I have no retail experience I've never worked before! (I know it sucks) someone please help?! Thanks :)

alexandrianc19

I'm really confused as to what to do right now. I had my second/demo interview with Sephora on Thursday, July 25. It went really well. Everyone was so nice. The manager said I did great. I was told I'd get a call from them in a few days. It's been a week and a day since that last interview and I haven't heard anything. I'm really wondering if I should follow up on Monday or something or if that would be a bad idea. I want this job so badly. I had letters of recommendation from my last employers and I have complete open availability. I really hit it off with everyone there and I just moved so I'm still new in town. But I told them I am a VIB and I looooove Sephora, among many other things about myself. Any suggestions on what I should do?

dallasashley

Hello everyone! I'm actually brand new to this site. I've been reading through this thread though because I was offered a position at a Sephora inside JCP last week and am just waiting for my background check(then I can start, yay!)
Anyways, I figured I could tell you quickly my interviewing/hiring experience, maybe it will help someone (as I wish I had read something before I went in). So, I applied online and received a call from Sephora's manager and she did a short phone interview with me asking basic questions; why do I want to work there, past experience, etc. So when I told her that I had worked at Ulta (seasonally) and the Philosophy counter she told me she'd be interested in having me go to group interview. It took a week for her to get a date for the group interview (which was actually on my birthday, but I think the fact that I went anyway scored me brownie points haha). So I got there 20 minutes early and I got to hang out with the manager and another employee until the actual interview started. I think this also helped my chances. Then I went upstairs to meet my "competition". Actually, it was just one other girl who was also interviewing for Sephora. So basically the group interview consisted of us completing a puzzle in the back room to show how we can work together as a team, and to "show our personality". After that was over the manager took us back to the floor and wanted us to take turns selling products to the manager. Honestly, I think this was the most crucial part of the interview. Up until this point the girl I had been "competing" with had pretty much out shined me (she had a very over the top personality). But at the end of the day I think the most important component is the ability to sell product. And luckily, because I'm a loyal customer/Urban Decay addict lol I apparently did really well at this part. Then it was over. It took about 3 days for them to call after the interview to offer me the job. Anyways the main point of all this is to be on time or early if you can swing it, be super friendly and look everyone in the eye, also shake hands with everyone you come in contact with and be eager when/if you have to "pretend" to sell a product.
I hope this helped someone! If you guys have any other questions feel free to ask:)

alexandrianc19

So, I wrote them a very business-like thank you note and was able to find the manager that interviewed me on LinkedIn and sent the letter via email. I also mailed a physical copy to the store in case the email did not send or was received. I'm really worried. I'm being very patient but with each passing day, I lose more hope. lol I would still like to just be informed if I did not get the position. I'm not sure how long the normal hiring process is for the store I interviewed at. I do know they interviewed more people than just me. I'm just so anxious and would love to work for them. Has this happened to anyone else?

dallasashley

@alexandrianc19 After my interview I wasn't very optimistic either. Each day that passed I began to doubt myself more and more. I think sending the thank you note was a great idea! By the third day I called the store myself and found out the reason it had taken so long to hear back was because the manager's mother was in the hospital. I would hope/assume that they would contact you whether they decided to hire you or not, because the wait to find out is terrible and I wouldn't wish that on anyone! Anyways I think at this point you should just call the store. I know you've already contacted them via e-mail but the more following up you do the more dedicated to the job you will seem. Good luck, I hope you hear from them soon. HTH