Working for Sephora

sugarrxbomb

I just recently got hired for a seasonal position at Sephora as of  yesterday! Here's my experience... I applied on Sunday, and got a call a couple days later. I got called in to do a group interview with two other girls. The manager was super nice. She asked the basic questions, why Sephora? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? How are you a team player? No questions about knowing brands at Sephora or anything related. I can tell at Sephora they are really looking to hire people with good customer skills and be very personable. After the interview I got called 4 days later and was offered a position. I am so excited and tomorrow is my first day. All together my hiring process took about a week to a week and half. Hope this helped anyone!
Congrats, Norma! You are so pretty!!

sugarrxbomb

I have another question! Sorry! I just remembered that one of my friends used to work for Tag Heuer, which is also owned by LVMH. Once a month, employees of LVMH brands got to take advantage of a featured brand. For instance, one month he got bottles of Hennessy for about $8. Another month he got 30% off Louis Vuitton. I know ::jawdrop:. Do Sephora employees get these same benefits??!

MissTT

Ha! If we got a discount on LV i'd no longer be hoarding makeup. Actually, we don't get discounts on other LVMH brands but I think many of them get discounts w/ us.

karlax215

I'm new to this forum. But I wanna apply for sephora. Every time I walk Into the store. I feel like I'm at home. I been in the restaurant business for about 5 years. Never had been in the makeup industry. I know about makeup but not to the extreme. Do you guys still think I should apply ? I wanna grow with the company. And learn more about makeup. They are currently only looking for a cashier nd seasonal. Which one do you think I got a better shot at?

AlyseMarie

So a lot has happened.... Started as a seasonal and was approached by management to become a lead! I have my follow up interview tomorrow but I'm wondering about the pay? I know for seasonal everyone got paid the same regardless of experience or education. I was like thinking of asking for almost double my current pay because of my management background and skin care license. Any current or former employees give me some advice on this topic? What is the average pay of this position?

sammii_jynx

For those who were hired as seasonals, congratulations! The way to move into being a core cast member is to be high energy, respectful, and exemplify Sephora values. We're not expecting perfection, but we are expecting that you do your job without complaint. My new store (I transferred!) has a couple holiday hires that complain quite frequently about being stuck as cashiers, and it irritates the leads.

Apply for cashier over anything seasonal. Seasonal means we don't have to keep you at the end of January. Cashier means you're core.

In regards to discounts, we DO NOT get discounts on other brands owned by LVMH. However, LVMH employees that work directly for LVMH, not a LVMH owned brand, get discounts. We DO however get extra discounts on brands or certain categories throughout the year. Like last March, we had extra off Kat Von D and Illamasqua. Last August-early September, we got extra off select hair tools.

When discussing pay, take into account your region. A lead at the flagship store in Paris or New York are going to be paid very, very differently than a lead in a small market. Also, take into account experiences as a manager and what the current rate in the store is.

Jefimija

Hi! I am so nervous! I sent in my application to the sephora at my local jcpenny and called the manager to let her know it's sent, as she told me to, and she pulled it up right away while she was on the phone with me and called me in for a one on one interview two days from then. I had my interview today and i think it went really well, she said that i would be good as a product consultant. But i really don't have too much experience professionally so i'm worried that that might ruin my chances. She seemed to like me and was impressed by how informed i was about everything. So she said the the fiscal year ends in two weeks so she has a lot to do and move things around and she will call me within the next two weeks. So i'm wondering, should i even get my hopes up or is she just dragging me along till she tells me i'm not fit for the job? Feedback would be very appreciated! Thank you!

dluvlee

Has anyone had any luck with applying to sephora online and getting hired? Any tips to better my chances for consideration?
Thanks

marbles123

I would like to remain anonymous i am a sephora employee in manhattan ive been with them for almost 6 years and i will say its been ok but there are just ceartain issues with management that i just dont get and i ceartainly dont get how they get away with some of the stuff they do and how they speak to employees its downright degrading it is harassment at times when they say whatever they want with unfiltered mouths its disgusting and they know that people need their jobs so they get away with so much stuff i also worked at another location today because it was slower at my store so in order for them to give me my hours they sent me to 34th st there is a manager her name is melissa i do not or cannot even conceive in my mind how she has a color lead position she is horendous a true horror she pulled me over to the side and said i was not helping clients speaking to castmembers and being negative all while basically yelling and talking down to me at the same time than told me she was going to send me home after my 4th hour i thought it was truly disgusting when i was helping clients and i was asking a fellow cast member something in her mind im having a conversation thats just awful what is this jail i was so upset and horrified i burst out crying and spoke to another manager who had way more common sense andrew he even said but i did see you helping clients thank god for him i asked if he could speak with melissa tje horrible manager so i could finish the rest of my day out not leave after my 4th hr there that was not my shift i was not goung to have her let me lose my hours is that even legal.WEll needless to say at the end of the night i did try and speak to her but she basically walked away while i was in the middle of our conversation and basically smiled like in another words im dismissing this whole conversation basically it was so disrespectful and disgusting someone in her store that works there said she is a bully and everyone is afraid of her how she still has her position is beyond me she had a snapshot image of me and thats just so sad because i worked at that location 1other time she was there and one of the reps went back and told her i said something which i hadnt and when i told melissa that is not what i said i know who spoke to you can you bring her over here so i can clarify what i said she wouldnt so like i said if that is the snapshot she has of me thats pitiful i dont know if she treats everyone with utter disrepect but i dont understand how sephora would want that type of person representing sephora is beyond me but that truly says alot about sephora .I mean im not saying everyone but alot of people like myself work so hard and than you have the ones that dont who get promoted and dont deserve it ill never figure it out.

kittkat

I am so sorry you are going through this. But you shouldn't have to. You have rights its just a matter of going about it the right way and documentation of unfair treatment is the key.

I worked in Management for a company in NYC and I can tell you most companies take this issue serious because they can leave themselves open to a lawsuit of harassment or discrimination.

Find out who is in HR in your company and make your complaint in writing and keep a copy and cc that person's dept head (documentation is key) so no one can say "this conversation never happen.

If your manager is harassing you and making your work environment hostile that is against the law. and Corp/HR takes this serious.

if possible have a witness to the abuse of power or harassment always try to be in the open where others can witness and hear when you speak to the manager

In the service industry your best weapon is your customer, work on them so that when they leave you they sing your praises and make sure they report your great service to management.

Everyone needs their jobs but you shouldn't let anyone step on you, no manager should yell or treat you with disrespect. You have options you should use them.

Find out what your rights are all companies have some sort of employee manual, find the chain of command.

you should consider a free consultation with an employment attorney or contact the State office that handles these types of complaints. Find out what the law in your state is about recording.

and record the abuse or conversation (but be careful some states have strict laws about recording without the other person knowing they are being recorded).

Like I said you have options, your work environment should always be safe and never hostile. Believe me once managers know that an employee knows his or her rights they are more careful.

Good luck.

artsy323

Hi! This is my first time posting.
I recently got hired at Sephora (one inside of JCP) after 2 interviews (a "simply" phone interview and a fun group interview). I wanted to if any of you who work for Sephora inside of JCP have any tips? I was told i would train for JCP then do Sephora training. Im guessing we get paid for all of that.

I had an interview with Sephora for the Operations Lead position on Friday. I got an email today stating that the District Manager wanted me to meet with another store manager before a final interview with her. During the first interview the store manager recognized me immediately because I shop there so often. She used a lot of forward thinking language with me and seemed like she was trying to sell me the job. I handed her a thank you note about 3 hours after the interview and bought something from the store. I linked up with the other store manager and I have the interview tomorrow. I have no direct retail experience which I stated in my resume but I have a lot of experience applying makeup which I explained. I have management experience in a large university (which when you look at it, you are trying to sell the school to potential students and families) but I am not so sure what my chances will be. Any advice or suggestions?

ahnnamay

But, do their costumes come in plus sizes? I'm plus sized and had an interview and then realized, to my own horror, what if they dont come in my size and thats the only reason i dont get the job?! ive been losing weight but im still over weight...

I wouldn't worry honey. I have seen plus sized women work in the stores and the costumes fit just fine. They also cannot deny you a job just because of your weight. That is discrimination and against the law. If it doesn't come in your size, they are forced to make accommodations. They cannot deny you the job because of it.