X-Pose lipstick

sambibabe

Hi everyone,

I was organizing my lippy stash today and found this:
xpose.jpg

expose.jpg

It is my first ever MAC product - X-Pose lipstick in silver casing. I think I bought this at least 15 years ago? I only wore it 2 times, because it has a strong crayon/plastic smell
throwup.gif
, so obviously it was released before MAC added vanilla scent to all their lipsticks. I also have a Plum lipliner in silver.

Does anyone know roughly when this lipstick was released? I am trying to remember when my addiction first started
greengrin.gif

TIA!

Mabelle

fyi; the crayon smell is when a product has gone bad. A lot of girls have said that they have bought a product with this smell to it. It doesnt have anything to do with the vanilla scent.

cant help with your question though!

sambibabe

Thanks Mabelle, but even when I bought it (who knows how long ago?) it had the same smell and taste.

KristyVictoria

I remember buying a tube of this to lament my discontinued HG lipstick, Chanel Silver Mauve. I had my first "makeover" when I was in 8th grade and my mom bought me a tube of this, so that would be around 1999, and it was discontinued about 2 years later. So this lipstick was available in 2001, and I think that's when I bought my tube of it.
smiles.gif
Hope this helps!

I wish they would bring this fricking color back! I still haven't found anything quite like Silver Mauve except for this. It's so cool toned it's almost grey. Alas.

sambibabe

Yay, thanks Kristy! I got this from my first MAC makeover as well, and the smell, taste and color put me off. It wasn't love at first sight, but now I am totally addicted!

TSIZ

Hi! I'm new here...and this is the first thread I checked out b/c I just got X Pose from someone and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
th_DANCE.gif
Too bad it's LE.

The mention of MAC l/s history and l/s smells brought me back to 1990 *gasp* when I worked at Nordstrom SF Centre. MAC was new and MAC WAS *IT*. If you worked at Nordstrom, you wore MAC l/s. That's what MAC was all about...awesome l/s in (what seemed like) 100's of colors...but there was no "vanilla smell" at the time.

I still have l/s pre-bullet-shaped casings! Gross, I know, but *sigh* it's hard to let go...
ssad.gif

Mabelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambibabe
Thanks Mabelle, but even when I bought it (who knows how long ago?) it had the same smell and taste.

This crayon smell is talked about quite a bit on the boards. Many girls have bought brand spankin new lipsticks with this smell. I believe a number of them said it was.... N3?
Anyway, every now and then you buy a random crayony smelling one. It's just a funny batch. You could end up buying one that smells the same tomorrow. If you do, exchange it. It prob. won;t hurt you, but ya it's gross.

I had a lipstick like that from another brand. Actually, it was lip conditioner. At first i just thought thats how it smelt, but i quickly learned that that how lipsticks smell when they have turned or are "defective". needless to say i couldn't put up with the smell, so i pitched it.

sambibabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIZ
Hi! I'm new here...and this is the first thread I checked out b/c I just got X Pose from someone and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
th_DANCE.gif
Too bad it's LE.

The mention of MAC l/s history and l/s smells brought me back to 1990 *gasp* when I worked at Nordstrom SF Centre. MAC was new and MAC WAS *IT*. If you worked at Nordstrom, you wore MAC l/s. That's what MAC was all about...awesome l/s in (what seemed like) 100's of colors...but there was no "vanilla smell" at the time.

I still have l/s pre-bullet-shaped casings! Gross, I know, but *sigh* it's hard to let go...
ssad.gif

Hi TSIZ, welcome to Specktra!! Oh my gosh, THANK YOU, you know what I am talking about!! Do you know when MAC introduced the Vanilla scent? How does pre-bullet shaped casing look like? I wouldn't let it go, if I were you!
winks.gif

TSIZ

sorry that took so long.

old camera, new to photobucket, new to specktra, argh.

is this even relevant? does anyone care anymore?
winks.gif

well, if anyone does, here is my old-lady-smelling Siss c.1996 and Snob.

TSIZ

Quote:
Hi TSIZ, welcome to Specktra!! Oh my gosh, THANK YOU, you know what I am talking about!! Do you know when MAC introduced the Vanilla scent? How does pre-bullet shaped casing look like? I wouldn't let it go, if I were you!
winks.gif

My guess is the vanilla-scent was introduced with the new casing.

Maybe this will narrow-down the timeline...VIVA GLAM II (1997) was in the older casing. VIVA GLAM III was released in 2000 = new century, new smell, new casing? I wouldn't know b/c ~1 decade ago, I dropped MAC like a bad habit (c.1999).

Does anyone have a vintage VGIII? If it's bullet-shaped and has/had a vanilla-scent, then the change happened somewhere between 1997-2000. And if there was ever a year to 'fix something that wasn't broke', so to speak, it would be the year 2000.

My money's on the year 2000, specifically on the release date of VGIII. Any takers?

TISH1124

I have X-Pose and it is one of my Favorite favorite lipsticks.....It still smells fresh...what is the Lot code on the bottom of the tube...that will tell you the year it was mfg

anita22

^ Tish is right! The last number in the code is the year of manufacture (e.g. B36 = made in 2006). Although I'm not sure when this coding system was introduced, so hopefully your lipstick has it.

Wow, we have some real MAC sleuths on the case here!
smiles.gif

sambibabe

My lipstick has 8G161 written on the label - what does this mean?
Wow, it is interesting to see how MAC has evolved
smiles.gif

MAC_Whore

I recall my first LSs: Russian Red and Twig. I purchased them both around 90-91. The LS have always had the vanilla scent. If you purchased a lipstick or lipglass that didn't have it, you rec'd a substandard batch.

The lipsticks and liners were silver and grey for awhile. I had a Blade LS like that. I bought it around 97-98, IIRC. I think I was in London at the time.

TSIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
I recall my first LSs: Russian Red and Twig. I purchased them both around 90-91. The LS have always had the vanilla scent. If you purchased a lipstick or lipglass that didn't have it, you rec'd a substandard batch.

The lipsticks and liners were silver and grey for awhile. I had a Blade LS like that. I bought it around 97-98, IIRC. I think I was in London at the time.

Oh my! Were all my l/s from Nordstrom SF substandard? Unheard of!
winks.gif
I don't recall a "yummy" scent like vanilla.
th_dunno.gif
But they certainly didn't smell like crayons.

The first l/s I bought were Carnal (frost? DC'ed) and my FAVORITE (of course not only is the COLOR DC'ed but the FINISH, as well) Fatale, which was a "tone"-the closest to this now is "glaze" MAC says-I don't agree. The closest I've found to it (tone finish, and the color-kinda) is...um...Black Honey(?) by Clinique. But it's all long and skinny. It didn't feel right. I had to swap it.

The last l/s I bought with the old-style casings were c.1999? And I bought my absolute LAST MAC l/s from an e-vil-Bayer for like $25 (ARGH): my HG Fatale, which came in a bullet casing by that time (early, early, early 2000...maybe 12/99). Then I quit. I was NOT going to pay THAT price for MAC. "And what's up with the bullet-thing?" I thought. Huh-uh. MAC at 2x the price AND in some "weird" shape? No.

So, until I picked up my MAC-pipe and lit-up a few months ago, I ALMOST earned my 10-year MAC-o-holics Anonymous CHIP, dammit.
tong.gif

sambibabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIZ
Oh my! Were all my l/s from Nordstrom SF substandard? Unheard of!
winks.gif
I don't recall a "yummy" scent like vanilla.
th_dunno.gif
But they certainly didn't smell like crayons.

I agree. The earlier ones certainly didn't have the same vanilla scent that MAC has now.

TSIZ

Quote:
My lipstick has 8G161 written on the label - what does this mean?
Wow, it is interesting to see how MAC has evolved
smiles.gif

My SISS from 1996 has on its sticker:

SISS
EXP. 09/98
6K30B
Maybe the first number is the year? e.g., yours would be 1998?
th_confused_new.gif

MAC_Whore

Quote:
I agree. The earlier ones certainly didn't have the same vanilla scent that MAC has now.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
winks.gif

ritchieramone

This is the label from my oldest surviving MAC l/s, Cyber. I'm assuming it probably is 15 years old if this follows the current conventions and it sure is *stinky* as well as looking in pretty bad shape!

Cyberlabel.jpg

Cybercase-1.jpg