Your MAC Collection Development

Chrystia

I've always loved make up since I was little. My mom saved my barbie colouring books and showed me how would put eyeshadow, blush, and lipstick on them and leave the rest of the picture blank. She laughs and says she knew I was going to be a make up artist back then.

Money prevented me from buying fancy makeup though until I went to college. I was passing the MAC store and I thought it might be fun to get some good makeup instead of just drugstore stuff. So I stopped in and the assistant manager helped design me designing an eye look. So I ended up going home that night with my first quad palette with Trax, Shadowy Lady, and Honeylust. I also picked up Viva Glam V because she tried it on me and I fell in love instantly. She then invited me back for the release of Strange Hybrid to get make up done. So I came back and fell in love with orchidazzle lipstick, moonflower eyeshadow, and rose blanc eyeshadow. When she explained how the le collections ran at MAC, I knew I was hooked. I started collecting le make up form MAC in large quantities. And now I work at that very store with her!

leenybeeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystia
I've always loved make up since I was little. My mom saved my barbie colouring books and showed me how would put eyeshadow, blush, and lipstick on them and leave the rest of the picture blank. She laughs and says she knew I was going to be a make up artist back then.

Money prevented me from buying fancy makeup though until I went to college. I was passing the MAC store and I thought it might be fun to get some good makeup instead of just drugstore stuff. So I stopped in and the assistant manager helped design me designing an eye look. So I ended up going home that night with my first quad palette with Trax, Shadowy Lady, and Honeylust. I also picked up Viva Glam V because she tried it on me and I fell in love instantly. She then invited me back for the release of Strange Hybrid to get make up done. So I came back and fell in love with orchidazzle lipstick, moonflower eyeshadow, and rose blanc eyeshadow. When she explained how the le collections ran at MAC, I knew I was hooked. I started collecting le make up form MAC in large quantities. And now I work at that very store with her!

Awww, this is such a great story!!!!

cloudsweare

First MAC purchase was in January I believe of this year.

I got

Moon's Reflection e/s
Satellite Dreams
Star By Night
Tete-A-Tint
Lotusland
Haux

And, then Syrup lippie.

Since then I have built my collection up to about 40 eyeshadows, 12 lippies, 7 lipglasses, a dazzleglass, a creamsheen glass, about 10 shadesticks, an eyeliner, mascara, 4 paints, 2 MES and 11 pigments and Dollymix blush.

I am addicted!

lalunia

Aw, great thread!

I honestly do not remember exactly how I got hooked on MAC. I was always into makeup and I remember signing up on Specktra years ago and back then I only had Prrr lip glass and some fluidliners that I think I got at a CCO. I was probably a junior in hs then, and spent my money on other stuff but finally wised up in college and started buying much more MAC. It didn't help that my boyfriend's house was right next to an awesome counter or that I go to school right next to a Macy's.

My collection is kind of small, my private college is draining my wallet at the moment. I have about 25 shadows, a few blushes, 5 foundations, maybe 10 lip glasses and lipsticks, and misc. items like MSFs, MSFN, eyeliners, 2 LE palettes, Fix+, mineralize blushes, 2 sets of LE brushes, 2 full size brushes, and I think that's it. I would love to get more blushes, eye shadows and brushes

Lapis

In Dec 07 my dh took me to mac and told me get what I wanted, the SA that day told me I needed just SF, whatever!
Around April 08 addiction started! I'd have to count later because I have no clue on the numbers, heck my stash pics from March need updating since I went quad and blush crazy recently, lol

iheartmakeup

I first got into MAC in 2003. I was 20 and on a world trip. I discovered the pro stre in Toronto and though I was in heaven!
lol.gif
I really wanted to buy golden olive pigment but the girls I was on holidays with toldd me that it was too bright, and clearly I was a sheep so I bought white gold and pink opal pigments instead which I never really wore and ended up giving away some time later! Since then I have never let what anyone said out me off buying what I want, not what they think I should wear.
yes.gif

It was all downhill from there! I am beyond addicted now, although I'm starting to slow down and become much more fussy now since I have so much.

NernersHuman

I started in 1990 with Russian Red, Chili, and Twig lipsticks. Then I added in Spice lipliner, Cubic blush and it just went all downhill from there. I currently have 50+ shadows (including mineralized), 25 lipsticks, 30 lipglasses, 3 blushes, several MSF's, 3 paint pots, 3 fluidlines, and various and sundry pencils and brushes.

I don't contemplate value as I fear it will make me break out in hives.

And just think it all started with Russian Red.

Twinkle_Twinkle

I got my first MAC products in high school although I was a makeup junkie in the making. When I first came of makeup buying age, I was dabbling with drug store stuff and my mom nipped that in the bud and held a Mary Kay party for me, so my first couple of products were MK. With MAC though I was obviously on a budget, so I didn't have much. My first products were Trax, Chestnut liner, Clear, Oh Baby, and Desire l/g, Revenge Sheer Shimmer Powder, Silver Dusk Irridecent Powder, and Reed blush and it took years just to get that really. In college I got about 7 more eye shadows, and then I took a semester off and got a job and my collection EXPLODED. I went from maybe 10-15 MAC products to God knows how many. It has slowed down some, but I have just delved deeper into other brands. Right now though I own most of what I want from the permanent collection, and I want just a few more Pro items. Other than that, I just wait and see what LE items interest me.

chiara

I started in 2004. I was wanted to replace some items I had used up, they were drugstore but I wanted to buy better quality makeup. My first purchase were nymphette lipglass, electra e/s and fanplastico lip lacquer. Then, I just kept on buying new items when I needed them, again, replacing drugstore items with Mac items. Like I run out of my Maybelline blush so I went to Mac to buy a new one... I was a very good girl with makeup back then, I didn't buy much and I wasn't very creative with my makeup (on the eyes, it was one neutral color, black eyeliner and mascara).
It was only in 2006, probably with the Lure collection, that I started getting experimental and started buying more to get more colors and more products. Now, I have about 40 eye shadows, 10 holidays palettes and quads, 50 lip products 8 msf and blush... Not a very big collection but I like it that way.
In the next years, I think I will keep on buying makeup, new products, new colors but probably not as much as now. I've already noticed I buy less from the limited-edition stuff because I have similar colors.

hello_my_apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariii
My first trip ever to a MAC store was inside of a macy's when I finally started working and making okay money.I went in there acquiring about a neutral look. I ended up with studio fix fluid, twinks, layin' low paintpot and blushbaby. I'm assuming this was around when Fafi came out because of the PP. then months after that I went back with my girlfriend for a makeover for a girls night out. I ended up buying nocturnelle, parfait amour and beauty marked. I also love greens so october of last year I went back and got humid e/s and honour blush, stripdown lipliner and myth lipstick and since then It's gone down hell. I'm mostly obsessed with eyeshadow, not a very huge lipglass person, I have more lipsticks than lipglasses mainly because I'm not very impressed with MAC's lipglasses. In 5 years, I see myself with a little bit of here and there with LE items, not much more from the permanent line since I own most of it (Especially eyeshadows/brushes).

im the same way im a fan of every other produckt from mac besides the lip products i have a few, but i've really grown to love the eye shadows and blushes!

priss

1992. viva glam 1. came with a condom. i was in high school. i got the lipstick, moms took the condom!! i didnt need them anyway (back then.......)

spectrolite

I started in 2006, after graduating uni. My first purchase was Goldmine e/s which I hated. Then I bought Oil Control Lotion and did not really pay attention to the colour stuff at all until later in the year when I started frequenting the MAC counter in the mall I was working in. The huge MAC campain posters are what really drew me in, I remember the Dita "Nocturnelle" poster made a huge impact.

I bought Belle Azure and Quivver pearlizer next and then Shooting Star MSF, Patternmaker Brush set and the Untamed Quad. From there my MAC collecting just took off. I soon discovered Specktra while searching for something like "how to make eye shadow show up brighter." I went crazy for a while - buying heaps of products from every collection.

I started off only getting eye shadows though thinking I'd just wear eye makeup for some reason lol. Then I moved on to Blush - my first was Dollymix. Lipsticks were my next obsession and my first one was Chic. Finally I moved on to brushes. Now I just buy what I think would make a nice addition to my collection. I don't buy nearly as much as I used to but I still manage to get a few things from most collections
smiles.gif

Sonya Adams

I started purchasing MAC a few years back because I needed to replace a few brushes. I spotted the MSFs at that time and was completely hooked (they were something new back then). Since then, my kit has turned over around 98% to MAC from every other company under the sun.

My husband likes to tell all of his friends that I have so much makeup that I could have paid off my car already. The credit cards are paid off, but that damned car will drag me down. If only MAC could power it...

brassdancer

I started this year >< in 2009, and it's pretty measly. I only have a few dazzleglasses, blushes and lustreglasses. I have a lot of the skincare line though. I dont wear a lot of eyeshadow so I dont have a bunch of them, which is ironic cause when I think MAC i think eyeshadow.

frostiana

After eyeing MAC products for a while, I finally made my first purchases in the spring and summer 0f 2007. I got fluidlines in blacktrack and blue peep, and the 266 brush. C-Shock was the first collection I bought from, and it was a blast-o-blue lipstick.
th_LMAO.gif
So much for staples, eh?

The next thing was a paint in Chartru, then a lipglass in spring bean.

I didn't buy any more MAC until May 2009.
I decided I wanted to beef up my MAC collection so, after two years I went into the MAC store at my mall and bought 18 eyeshadows, 3 paintpots, 4 lipsticks, and a paint, as well as my first mac foundation and pressed powder.

Since May I've been gradually buying more and more, including a trip to the CCO. As it stands I have about 50 eyeshadows as well some quads from some past collections......cult of cherry....? I think, and a dame edna trio. Also, a holiday palette (the red one with the big tacky gem on it)

As well as 4 paint pots, 3 paints, 9 lipsticks.

I still haven't bought anymore lipglosses just because I do not buy lipglosses from MAC. I just think there are too many drugstore glosses that look the same or better than MAC for half the price. I will spend on lipsticks though.

My collection will grow even more from what I purchased during the F&F sale..I got 18 eyeshadows, 4 blushes, 4 dazzleglasses (these are amazing, I tested them in the store) 2 paint pots 9 lipsticks, 6 pigments, and some fix+. Also, 5 x15 pan palettes, a quad, and a blush palette.

There's still a lot I want to try from MAC--MSFs, cream color bases, concealer, beauty powders, etc. but I doubt I will ever try another MAC brush. My 266 was stolen from me when I brought it to work a few years ago. Since then I've tried a lot of brushes from other brands like ecotools, japonesque, coastal scents, revlon, sephora, sonia kashuk, etc. MAC brushes just are not worth it for me. I cannot bring myself to pay $15+ for a single brush when I know there are brushes out there that can do the job just as well for $5-$10. So I doubt my MAC brush collection will be growing any.
I buy from MANY other brands, though, and will continue to do so.

Face2Mac

I started in 1997. I was started a job and this girl introduced me to a deep pink lippie, Media. I then had a matching lipgloss, Desire.

I got random things over the years but I mostly focused on drug/store lip products. I had enough basics like 2 colors of each, because I didn't have a clue about crease colors or blending.

I picked back up in 2005-2006. But dropped it again, but mostly lip products.

I found found YT videos in the spring of 2007, then found specktra because one of the girls mentioned it and now I am in love.

I have over 11 palettes filled, 25+blush, all but 2-4LE p/p, paints (love), and who know how many lip products mac and drugstore. But I love most of it and mostly I buy at least 2 things from each collection. I am a sucker for packaging, it gets me , everytime.

radarlove

My first brief foray into MAC was a long time ago, I was probably only about 8 years old so I'll say 1997. My mom and I went into a MAC store here in Toronto and bought me Nico lipglass and a blue eyeshadow that isn't made anymore called Fade for fun. I loved looking at and playing with Nico but I never wore either...I was too young and I've never been much of a girly girl.

Despite that, I've always liked makeup and my mom and I would always go into Sephora when we were traveling in the states (before Sephora came to Canada). I enjoyed buying all kinds of brands like NARS, Stila, etc. but wouldn't buy things very often, only when we were on vacation. I never went into MAC again since my needs were largely met by Sephora.

Then, I stumbled upon Specktra in 2008 which turned me into MAC. For a few months I still wasn't overly fussed about it...then I went into a store in Arizona and the really nice and talented artist picked out two eyelooks that are still my favourite - Honesty, Soft Brown & Embark, and Jest, Haux & Sketch. I realized that makeup didn't have to be super girly and glamorous, but it could suit my neutral tastes and I could use it to look just more put together and subtly professional.

Now I'm working on my 2nd MAC eyeshadow palette. I'm pretty reasonable about my purchasing because I know I just won't wear that much. I have 2 blushes and a few lipsticks/lipglosses. I also swear by their concealers. In 5 years I expect I'll have a few more shadows but I'm pretty happy with my collection. I doubt it'll ever get HUGE or anything since I don't wear full makeup every day and I recognize that if I buy a whole ton it'll be way more than I need and wasteful.

I do love MAC though...I really like that it makes me feel more polished and confident every day. I also love the variety of colours...it's a lot of fun to play around and perk up my mood. That's my favourite thing about it. The fact that it's reasonably priced helps to.

shops2much

Way back in 1994 (or so) when I was in high school, I got Chelsea lipstick at the one and only MAC counter in western Canada. It was always packed with girls swatching lipsticks and playing with makeup. I later bought Media and Film Noir in my goth phase. Eventually, I got Studio Fix that I used so sparingly, it took me about 2 years to finish a compact. Then in 1997 for my high school fashion show, I got my makeup done at MAC, bought VEX and HAZE eyeshadow. They came in the original screwtop cap containers, of which I still have Haze in its old school packaging.

Throughout the years, my collection has grown slowly. When Barbie came out, I got almost everything, but then went on a ban for a while. At the end of 2008 though, I've been grabbing lots of goodies to flush out my collection. I'm currently up to 3 pro palettes, 5 holiday palettes, 20 pigments, 35 lipsticks and 20 blushes.

MAC_Fafinette14

I grew up with my mom using MAC eye shadows, and always wanted to tag along when she went to the local counter. She would let me pick the lipstick colours when she brought in her old pots to B2M (never depotted any, but hit pan on 'em all). She also gave me some colours that didn't work on her for me to play around with. Eyeshadows were mutual territory, so if I wanted an e/s, she would get it and we'd both use it.

When I was about 14, I got my makeup done for a dance and my mom bought me some products--a lipstick and eye pencil. At 16, she found out (well, I confessed
th_wink3.gif
) that I had stolen her MAC Red lipstick, and we went to the counter and she bought me a tube of Russian Red.
I grew up around MAC, but my interest only was really sparked in 2008 by the Fafi and Cult of Cherry collections. And since then...
Before 2008, I had 4 lipsticks and 1 lipglass. Now I have 11 lipsticks and 12 lipglasses, and I'm looking to get more with the coming Fall collections.

ginger9

Oh gosh, I can't remember which was my first MAC purchase, it has been a while. Definitely in the 90s since I remember my lipstick was in the shape of the old packaging. My aunt took me to MAC - I fell in love with my signature lipstick which was called Xtreme. I must have used like 5 or 6 tubes up at least before brick red became "dated" lol. I didn't wear much makeup back then, just lipsticks and Studio Fix. In 2007 is when I really started to explore MAC. Fluidliners and pigments had me swooning!! I went on a buying spree and bulked up my collection. Now I have more than I could use in a life time (that is until it all goes bad). It's not big by all means but for me it's more than enough. In five years I hope to be able to improve my skill and maximize usage of everything I own, because I hardly ever use a lot of items I own especially my beautiful pigments!! I will not be looking to increase the size of my collection but just adding stuff that I truly love and find unique. Although I can't say I am not tempted by all the goodies whenever I see a new collection.