YSL Discussion Thread

Icecaramellatte

I stopped in bergdorf goodman and saw the other colors and like all of those too. I was good and didn't buy anymore. I was able to do this because so many of them looked similar, a few corals and pinks, at least switched on my hand. Maybe there is more distinction on the lips. The SA did call it the Nudes collection although the colors did not call to mind any nudes to me. I did like the lavender shade but I just don't know if I would actually wear it. One plus is that I asked about the touché éclat and the SA rec #5 for me. At least when I'm ready to buy I have a shade.

Icecaramellatte

I found a blog review for the Rebel Nudes Glossy Stains.

http://beautygypsy.com/yves-sant-laurent-glossy-lip-stain-rebel-nudes

I tried one of the Glossy Stains I bought today. # 109 Fuchsia Fugitive. I also bought #103 Pink No Taboo. The crazy thing is. I could have sworn I bought one coral color and one pink color. Both names say they are pink glosses. I tried on the 109 - the one I thought was coral. It has quite a bit of gold in it. That may account for the coral color on my hand. I put one swipe on my lips. I really like it but I'm not really seeing pink per se. But I can't quite say what the color is. I'm thinking a reddish color but pink comes from red, right? Anyway, I love it. I really like the gold shimmer in this. I Then I put on the second swipe and the color deepens but not much but the golden look is very nice. I think what the above blog says is right. These are a bit sheerer then the other 2 I have. Maybe it lets your lip color show a bit more. I know the shimmer in this is very different from the previous creme formula and I don't think it is as glossy (with a second coat) as the other formula. There is shine there but I still think it looks more like a stain compared to the other two I have. I think people are just going to have to try these for themselves. I think these are a bit different from the previous releases. I'm not sure everyone will like it but so far I do. I think this color looks very nice with the bronzy look I have going on today and will work well into fall.

I took a pic of Fuchsia Fugitive to show it wasn't really pink but guess what? I really does look pink in this picture. Sorry for the uneven application. I wasn't really planning to take pics, just trying it on. But you can kind of see the shimmer in this one.

YSL Rebel Nudes Glossy Stain Collection - #109 Fuchsia Fugitive:

IHughes

I wasn't sure what to spend the gift cash in that store but I tried on a glossy stain and wow!! It lasts almost all day on me, still looking glossy!! The most difficult thing is choosing a colour as they look completely different on the lips than on my hand or bottle!! I tried number 12 Corail Fauve and it looks quite red on me! I like it and I might get that one but it's hard to try the rest as they look so different once they're on!!

katred

Specktra Bestie
The most difficult thing is choosing a colour as they look completely different on the lips than on my hand or bottle!! I tried number 12 Corail Fauve and it looks quite red on me! I like it and I might get that one but it's hard to try the rest as they look so different once they're on!!
I've heard this about these shades- they seem to "adapt" to the person wearing them after a few minutes. Can't wait to hear which one that you settle on!

Icecaramellatte

That shade looks wonderful on you! The shimmer makes your lips look full and smooth.

I've heard this about these shades- they seem to "adapt" to the person wearing them after a few minutes. Can't wait to hear which one that you settle on!
Thanks Kate!

Sugar & Spice

I never bought any of the Stains either, I've been so obsessed with the Volupte Shines. I have

#15 Coral Intuitive
#16 Orange Impertinent
#19 Fushia In Rage
#6 Pink in Devotion

I'll check out the new nudes collection and see if anything catches my fancy.

Miss QQ

I feel karlasugar's swatches of the original Glossy stains are very helpful, and she has lip swatches of a few colours too. These look different on the lips depending on your lip colour. I have 7 which I love, and 15, which turns out as a intense rose on me. http://karlasugar.net/2012/03/ysl-vernis-a-levres-glossy-stains/ http://karlasugar.net/2012/03/ysl-vernis-a-levres-glossy-stains-lip-swatches/

IHughes

Their smell turns me off too. I don't know why some people say it smells of rose, to me it smells of wine, yuck! But the smell wears off after a while and it's so long lasting it's worth it!

katred

Specktra Bestie
I wish that I could wear the glossy stains. Their smell really turns me off.
That's funny, I've tried these a couple of times and swatched them many times and the scent actually bothers me less than some other YSL products.

katred

Specktra Bestie
Well I finally did it! I bit the lipstick bullet and purchased my first Glossy Stain. The new collection isn't even here yet, but I figured I just had to grab one, at least to try it out. I ended up getting Violet Edition, which is completely unsurprising if you know the shades that I like, but I adore it. I'm also quite in love with the formula. Hydrating, shiny and lasts. What more could a girl ask for?

Mayflower22

I just bought my first one as well. The price hurt my wallet a bit but the quality of product really justifies it. I'm learning more and more to invest in well made products versus cheap thrills. (Which isn't to say I don't still love the odd drugstore haul!)

katred

Specktra Bestie
I just bought my first one as well. The price hurt my wallet a bit but the quality of product really justifies it. I'm learning more and more to invest in well made products versus cheap thrills. (Which isn't to say I don't still love the odd drugstore haul!)
In this particular case, I justify the price to myself because there really isn't another product that's like this, at least not that has all of its pleasant qualities. Most stains I've tried are almost painfully drying on my lips. Glosses don't last on me. These aren't sticky. They don't feather or get smeared or go on unevenly. Only thing I don't love is the scent. I even mind the cheap packaging less than usual. (It's sort of a thing with me and all YSL products. I know many love it, but their packaging makes me nuts.)

MACina

iagree.gif
....I am soooooooooooo with you on that!

In this particular case, I justify the price to myself because there really isn't another product that's like this, at least not that has all of its pleasant qualities. Most stains I've tried are almost painfully drying on my lips. Glosses don't last on me. These aren't sticky. They don't feather or get smeared or go on unevenly. Only thing I don't love is the scent. I even mind the cheap packaging less than usual. (It's sort of a thing with me and all YSL products. I know many love it, but their packaging makes me nuts.)

katred

Specktra Bestie
What about their packaging drives you nuts?
I'm bothered by the fact that it's a lightweight plastic. I'm not saying that they need to be as heavy as Rouge Gs (which qualify as weight lifting if you have more than one in your purse), but if you look at brands like Chanel or Armani, their casings are a lot sturdier. The packaging on YSL items scuffs and scratches if you look at it funny, which means that even carrying it alone in a makeup bag will leave it looking pretty roughed up. I've had that happen even after a day. That doesn't happen, even with my Mac lipsticks, which aren't much more than half the price. It doesn't affect the formula, but when I look at other brands that have formulas that are just as good AND offer nice cases, it makes me wonder why YSL can't. I think perhaps they concentrated too much on making their cases look "fancy", but in order to get them at the right price, they had to use cheaper materials. I'd rather have something sleek and simple that's not going to look like a car ran over it by the third time I use it.

I know other people really like the fancy look of the packaging, so of course, this is subjective. It just does tend to steer me towards other brands.

Anneri

Have you looked into the dupes made by YSL 'parent company', L'Oreal? They do their Color Caresse Shine Stains which are good dupes in terms of texture and durability, their colours are a bit more flat. I like them nontheless. And the packaging is ok!