Forever 21 to launch plus-size line

Arisone

^ IA. I never take what KK says seriously anyway.

There are some cute things on the site. I purchased several items (including the lace knit top and lace ruffle chiffon top). I hope they fit. *Crosses fingers* I hate returning things. More variety and bigger sizes are needed.

elongreach

Allow me to say something. I am a size 20. I qualify as plus size and I am insulted by Forever21 claiming they are doing a plus size line. I dont believe this is. This reminds me of delia's with their larger sizes. It really more for the juniors with a little extra something. I was expecting more when I went to the website. Then I looked at the size chart and it only goes up to a 15/16. To me, it's more like let's add a little more bust or waistline so that the 14s that can't quite squeeze in because of a certain attribute can now do that.

I will say that this is supposedly a test. So it's always possibly they may expand the size, but right now I am not excited. I was ready to buy that pleated dress for my birthday and ghot mad when I checked the size check.

Thanks to you all who put me on to Wet Seal because I am broke and laid off. So I can't be spending what I used to on designers at Nordstrom. I just got an outfit for my date from them for 23 bucks and I'm thinking it will be perfect. I need to put it on before I say yeah for sure.

If anyone has any other suggestions to try, please pm me. I currently know of Nordies (love), Old Navy (not so much), Evans (shipping too expensive, Wet Seal (new adventure). And of course, I know none of you will refer Lane or Ashley. So thanks for any suggestions you might have.

pumpkincat210

Size aside... If i were Kim Kardashian i'd be upset that Forever 21 was using my name to promote products without my consent and making money! I personally wouldn't take to my blog or whatever about the situation, i'd quietly hire an attorney and take care of it like that.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEA2LS
I agree with you for all but one thing.. i am plus size and she has no effect at all on my self esteem.
winkiss.gif

That is great, i'm glad you have good self esteem. No matter what weight i'm at i find faults and have generally always had a low self esteem. I'm not sure why and have seen numerous doctors about it but nothing seems to help.

BEA2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
That is great, i'm glad you have good self esteem. No matter what weight i'm at i find faults and have generally always had a low self esteem. I'm not sure why and have seen numerous doctors about it but nothing seems to help.

eh, i would not say my self esteem is the best - it def goes down! all i meant was that what she says will not affect it..

kaliraksha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieR429
I just read in some tabloid mag ( shes on the cover right now in a bathing suit) she is embracing her body and loves her curves blah blah blah she says her measurments are "35-26-40". I dont know how the hell 40 inch hips are a size 2?!?! shit my measurments are like 36-27-38..and im like size 10. no way kim...she is pretty and curvy but I dont know who she thinks shes fooling saying shes a size 2

you know what who cares though what damn size she is...she still has shit for brains and is famous for being a slut. whoop dee freaking do!

I agree with you. Although I don't particularly care for who she is, I do think she is stylish, beautiful and curvy. And as a girl who has had to go a size up because of the curves... I also can't believe she's a size 2... she really seems to put up a fight when it's about her size... I remember the ebay dress fiasco. Bleh, I think she is making herself look like a fool by claiming to be a 2 and isolating possible fans by being so turned off by being bigger.

Like this celeb snip... with photos:
Kim Kardashian before and after Photoshop - Celebrity Portal - Zimbio

cupcake_x

I checked out the line a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed about the choices of clothing they had. They're not very cute. I mean, some are, but the majority are weird looking.

And about Kim Kardashian, she definitely isn't a 2.. She's closer to a 12 than a 2. I hope she was joking!! Her measurments are about 36-26-40 and mine are 36-25-38. I'm not a 2, I'm an 8. So I'm guessing she's about an 8-10. I still love her and think she's gorgeous, but I'm wondering why she would even say that.

x0besoz

they've added alot more stuff to this line has anyone bought anything???? i want to know because although some of they're large tops fit me sometimes they i wish they had a size bigger but i rarely shop online because i like to try stuff on but i feel like lately the closest store hasnt got anything good

BlueMoonDoll

At first I was really excited...and then looked at the size chart. I'm anything from a 14/16 to an 18/20 and other times I have to go up a size because I sport DDD (No friggin lie). Anyway, I looked at the size chart, right? And the bust for a 15/16 is a 45in. *sigh* But I know my bust to be...well...in that range, around anyway. Has anyone ordered their stuff and liked it? Or hated it and want to rant? Because here comes mine:

A size 14 is the average size of the American woman. Granted, we're all a bit bigger than we should be BUT the fact exists that we are WOMEN who are willing to spend money because, wait for it, we need clothes to wear. However, too many companies ignore this large and growing (intended) demographic, thus loosing money. H&M used to carry and plus size line and they still do in Europe. However, they no longer carry it here because they said the sales were bad. Not only was it poorly advertised but it was only in SELECT stores. In NYC, where you know there were people willing to kill cabbies for it, it was offered in HARLEM, because they thought they'd sell there. I'm not an expert on the socio-economic state of Harlem, but I'm guessing that H&M would have been better off had they put it in other stores too.
I have always been the "bigger girl." I'm not perfectly ok with it, but I know that I am the only one to lay blame on or who can change it. So, I have spent years finding stores to shop at, and have a huge list of bookmarked stores. Because we don't have many stores that cater to plus sizes. When you do find a store, you wind up with a couple issues.
We have Macys, which is hit and miss. Sometimes you find matronly iteams, sometimes you find "urban inspired" iteams...Uh, not my style. But that is ok, because I do find things...but they're expensive and not always well made.

We have Lane Bryant, another hit and miss store which is expensive and often matronly or plain weird.

We have one of my favorite stores Maurices, which does often carry larger sizes. HOWEVER, their plus line is often weird. I mean the clothes are just WRONG for plus sized girls. I have a gorgeous sun dress from their with PADDING IN THE BUST. When does a size 18 need that? (Especially ME!) I wish they'd launch their entire store in a Xs-4x line. That would be innovative, smart, and helpful.

Torrid--dear God, the price is awful and half the time the stuff isn't amazing. Maybe it is my own style.

Alight.com I think they have one store. I've never bought anything from them but I actually plan on it.

There are a lot of other places, but they're all online. And yes, I've found things at Marshal's and Ross but I *hate* shopping that way. Every now and then I'll find something at a typically matronly store, like dress barn. And I like Target a lot...but it is still hit and miss.

It is so frustrating to see companies call a size 12 a plus size. If I were an f-ing size 12 I could find clothing. Oh, yes I could. When I was 50lbs lighter I could shop at New York and Company. That was beautiful....Oh, I miss that.

Willa

That's true, companies that makes plus size clothes often target woman in their 40's and older. Come on... I always been fat. When I was younger, I either had men jeans, or ugly jeans from Sears hahaha

Here in Montreal, we have Reitmans that sells a plus size line, but it's kinda... boring, too neutral, nothing special.

Additionnelle and Penningtons are specialized in plus size, they have very nice and cute stuff, but it's SO expensive... like around 50$ a SHIRT
I always wait for the sales, right now they are 40% off, but still
I bought a belt, it was 35$!!! And not on sale, let me tell you that!

MUALindsay

It's hard enough being plus-sized, but ordering online just plain sucks. Make-up and other crap doesn't bother me, but having to order clothes, return them if they don't fit... and sometime they don't get returned b/c it's such a hassle, and then what if the next size doesn't fit, etc.

I've been big my entire life, well after the age of 6. I remember in elementary school Arizona (I think it was them, from JCPenney's) came out with "half sizes" for girls, which were really not "half" as in-between sizes, but as in plus-size. But man, they fit me well, I do remember that. Oh yea, green & purple jeans!
greengrin.gif

I wore Levi's in Jr. High... I think, I really don't recall, and in H.S. I wore a lot of American Eagle and Abercrombie & Fitch jeans, but I was a 12/14 then, soon after A&F changed their sizing, because I could still wear the 12's I had but the new ones no way would fit!

In college I wore mostly AE jeans, in a 14, and thankfully around that time they branched into 16 & 18's, ONLINE. While the sizing is a bit different (00-8 has 1" in between sizes, 8-16 has 1.5" between sizes and an 18 jumps up 2" from a 16), thankfully an 18 fits me now. I was ALWAYS between sizes in H.S. I strictly remember going to a store named DEB's, and trying on a XL dress (biggest size in reg. section) and it being WAY too tight, and trying on a 1X (smallest size in plus section) and it being WAY too big... SAME EXACT STYLE!!! WTH?!

It seams Silver Brand jeans have expanded their sizing a bit, with up to a 36 in regular and even a plus line that is sold at previously mentioned Maurices... I can wear the 36's and love them, but at ~$70/ea., it gets expensive. Their plus size jeans are nice, and around the same price but too high rise for my taste... I find that often with "plus-size" jeans/pants.

AE jeans start out at $30 and go up to around $50. (One pair on the site is $60.) Heck, they even have buy 1 get one 50% off right now AND you can return in store!!! I can wear SOME of their XXL shirts, but they make them "slim fit" which doesn't look perdy on my gut! Even the guy's t's are like that now and my Husband has to size up so he's comfortable. I guess if you have a nice shape the slim fit might be nice, but it's a bit too tight for me. Not tight but no way loose.

I love Old Navy for cheap basics, and their XXL fit me well. I love the plus size line, because I could wear a 1X in it, but now it's online only! AND you have to mail in plus size returns! I had bought a V-neck T from the store a while back and loved it, went to order online, it wasn't online... finally saw it a month or so later, ordered 1 in every color (9 total) and they are HUGE!!! WTH?! It's the same size and looks exactly the same, but HUGE!!! I mean 2" wider and longer! I'm going to try to shrink them because it's such a great basic T. And I LOVE their rib-knit long tanks! I'd die w/o them. I get an XL in those b/c they stretch. I wear them under everything. I have stretch marks on my belly from gaining weight quick, in college, and they do a good job to camouflage them under tops.
smiles.gif

It's great to see more Plus Size clothing, but really, I like to try the crap on! Torrid has some cute stuff, but most of what I've seen in store is a bit dressy for my jeans and t-shirt style! Lane Bryant is good too, but it's hit or miss for me, as are all "plus-size" pants, b/c I hate the rise on them. I can't stand anything over my belly button and sometimes, since I carry my weight in my stomach, they fit on my "waist" but are HUGE in the hips/butt.

Heck, I even have a hard time with bras because I am so thick around my rib-cage and have no chest! I've gained (sad to admit) 60lbs since H.S. and seriously only went up a band size! Thank heavens VS bras still fit me!

So yea...
For shirts: Old Navy
For jeans: American Eagle
For undergarments: Victoria's Secret

Who knows what'd I'd do if I had to actually "dress-up" for work. :|

And swimsuits... don't get me started...

MUALindsay

Their site says size 3X coming soon... that MIGHT fit me... pretty sad when I wear a 1X/XXL from Old Navy...

shatteredshards

My sister told me to check them out, and honestly, I was disappointed.

Now, mind you, I live 10 minutes away from the Mall of America. The Faith 21 in the Forever 21 there is so small, so small that I completely effing missed it the first time I walked around the store. I thought those 3 mannequins and one wall were just more regular clothing, and the stuff wasn't nearly as cute as things in the rest of the store so I didn't bother looking closer.

So my sister told me to check the website, she said they should have the stuff I wanted in the larger sizes.

I wanted some basic tanks. And yeah, wasn't even an option for faith21, was no such thing.

It looks like they're on the website now, but this was only this past summer, in July-August that I looked. And they certainly don't have the bright punch-in-your-face colors that the regular line had.

Also, it's a 3-4-inch jump from the large in the Forever21 line to the smallest size (XL) in the faith21 line. That's pretty rediculous.

luxury

I've been really BLAH on their line. Over the summer I found a BEAUTIFUL floral print dress and went to try it on and to my surprise the chest area was fitted for a B cup and had a zipper on the side. I wrote an ANGRY email because all of their dresses fit that way.

It's like HELLO, bigger girls have bigger boobs...accomodate for that too!

I have gotten a few really nice shirts and have been stalking for a winter coat. Lately at my mall they have let that section turn into a blizzard and place a lot of the regular sizes in the Faith Plus area for storage and that pisses me off to leaf through a clearance rack to find that NOTHING in there fits.

I can see them putting it 100% online soon enough.

Boasorte

Wait, I'm confused about the sizes, normally in pants that go by S,M,L etc, I'm usually a L or a size 12-14
So these +size Forever 21 I would assume I'm an XL, but I'm seeing from reading above comments that an XL isn't much of a difference from an L in the regular line.
That's bull, because I see a lot of nice things on the site
ssad.gif

Also weird because I fit an L sized dress from Charlotte Russe (SP) and I'd like to think those lines are similar, no.

Is anyone here about my size and tried their stuff? This is sooo in my price range and I don't wanna be dissapointed.

greengoesmoo

I used to be an 18 and for all hell I could never find a pairof trousers which were comfy!
We just had a forever 21 open up 20 mins walk from me. No idea if the UK has the "plus" sizes, and FFS, since when is a a 12/14 plus size?
What size to standard shops stock up to in the US?

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoesmoo
I used to be an 18 and for all hell I could never find a pairof trousers which were comfy!
We just had a forever 21 open up 20 mins walk from me. No idea if the UK has the "plus" sizes, and FFS, since when is a a 12/14 plus size?
What size to standard shops stock up to in the US?

Well in America a 14 is considered plus size which is a UK 16

vividtouch

that was really a good news. i am also very happy to have such items from them. now, even the plus sized women can be as fashionable and trendy as those on the slim side...and maybe even sexier than they are... kudos to forever 21!

NotteRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividtouch
that was really a good news. i am also very happy to have such items from them. now, even the plus sized women can be as fashionable and trendy as those on the slim side...and maybe even sexier than they are... kudos to forever 21!

I don't really mean to cause drama, but your statement kind of bugged me a little bit. I'm going to rant, but know it isn't directed at you, it's just a general peeve of mine when it comes to Plus Sized Fashion.

ONE store that happens to have Plus Sized clothing doesn't mean squat. Plus Sized women [myself included] can be trendy without having to buy from a place like Faith/Forever 21. Personally I think the selection sucks, the quality of the garments is horrible, and they've already closed the Faith part near me because no one bought anything. It's like people who say to me "Oh, but you have Lane Bryant!" No, we really don't. Every time I go into Bryant's I come out of the dressing room looking like a balloon. I have an hourglass figure. I'm proportionate. Plus sized women aren't beachballs. We HAVE shapes. I'd like my clothing to reflect my self confidence, not make me feel bad for being Plus Sized or that I have to hide my figure.

That being said, I've had unbelieveable luck with Dress Barn Women. They have casual and business attire that's actually made for Plus Sized women who have body shapes. Their jeans are impeccible and well made, fit like a dream and are comfortable.

Believe it or not, as far as bathing suits go, 3 years in a row I've had FANTASTIC luck with Wal-Mart bathing suits. I bought 2 this year in the same suit but different colors.

/end rant.

A little off topic, but sometimes, it happens.