From Freelance to Permanent employee

angela

So i was hired as a freelance/on-call make-up artist a month ago, and today my manager tells me that they want to hire me as a permanent part time employee! I am excited, but I have to interview with the district manager at our local pro store tomorrow at 2pm! Does anyone know what they would ask me?? My manager said it would be a verbal interview. Perhaps more sales based questions? Any input is greatly appriciated! TIA!

midgetfury74

hi, well this isnt a response to your question but rather a question for you since ou are a freelance, i was asked if i wanted to applay as a freelance, but i was wondering if you could me more about the responsibilities as well as some of the benefits. THX
ROXY!

angela

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetfury74
hi, well this isnt a response to your question but rather a question for you since ou are a freelance, i was asked if i wanted to applay as a freelance, but i was wondering if you could me more about the responsibilities as well as some of the benefits. THX
ROXY!

definitly apply for a freelance/on call position. it is the best way to get your foot in the door. where I live, they do not hire permanent partime employees, everyone starts off as freelance/on call. Once you're hired as a freelancer, you are put into the system so that all MAC locations know that you are available to work. They call and ask if you are avaiable to work on a certain day, week, etc. for a certain amount of hours. So you are basically on call. There are only 2-3 times a year that you will be working as "freelancer". Freelancers do make-up all day back to back for big MAC events which only happen 2 to 3 times a year. During the rest of the year, you are considered "on call". When you are on call you are doing everything that a regular make-up artist does such as ringing up customers, doing eye demos, helping customers w/ certain needs, questions etc.

the benefits of being a freelancer is that you don't have to work if they call you in. and your hours are more flexible. but if they call you to work and you always say you can't, chances are they wont call you back to work ever. You also get 30% off MAC products. NOt that great IMO because you can apply for a pro card as a freelance artist not affiliated with MAC and get 40% off!

anyway, i hope this answers your questions!

Makeupluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela
definitly apply for a freelance/on call position. it is the best way to get your foot in the door. where I live, they do not hire permanent partime employees, everyone starts off as freelance/on call. Once you're hired as a freelancer, you are put into the system so that all MAC locations know that you are available to work. They call and ask if you are avaiable to work on a certain day, week, etc. for a certain amount of hours. So you are basically on call. There are only 2-3 times a year that you will be working as "freelancer". Freelancers do make-up all day back to back for big MAC events which only happen 2 to 3 times a year. During the rest of the year, you are considered "on call". When you are on call you are doing everything that a regular make-up artist does such as ringing up customers, doing eye demos, helping customers w/ certain needs, questions etc.

the benefits of being a freelancer is that you don't have to work if they call you in. and your hours are more flexible. but if they call you to work and you always say you can't, chances are they wont call you back to work ever. You also get 30% off MAC products. NOt that great IMO because you can apply for a pro card as a freelance artist not affiliated with MAC and get 40% off!

anyway, i hope this answers your questions!

PBI but . . . Wow, that is completely different than in LA, unless they have changed the rules since I freelanced a few years ago. Here, freelancers/on-call MA's do NOT ring up, and there is no discount. So midgetfury74, you might want to check out the details in your area. HTH
smiles.gif

FacesbyNiki

The interview that I had with the regional was more sales. Just like what would I do if I wasn't making my goal? How do I like working with people? Questions about my past/current job? Etc.

Good luck! :p

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeupluvr
PBI but . . . Wow, that is completely different than in LA, unless they have changed the rules since I freelanced a few years ago. Here, freelancers/on-call MA's do NOT ring up, and there is no discount. So midgetfury74, you might want to check out the details in your area. HTH
smiles.gif

Same here in South Florida...

d_flawless

angela, are freelancers responsible for providing their own brushes? do they get the same training as counter sales MAs?

angela

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_flawless
angela, are freelancers responsible for providing their own brushes? do they get the same training as counter sales MAs?

it depends- i was hired to work on call at a certain location (downtown SF) exclusively. They didn't put my name on a roster to be available to other locations. So they provided me with a brush belt and all. My friend was hired as freelance/on call and they told her that she had to provide her own brushes because she will be working at several MAC counters/stores.

As for training, freelancer/oncall do not go through basic training. You are pretty much on your own. But if you've done make-up for a long time and are very familiar with MAC products you shouldn't have any trouble at all. You'll only get to go to basic training if you are hired permanently, and basic training happens only 2-3 times a year. SO for example if you are hired as a freelance/on call and are later on hired as permanent, you dont go to basic right away-you'd have to wait for the next basic training session.

angela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeupluvr
smiles.gif

Yea, i guess it is different in certain areas. I do ring up, but I ring up my sales under each employee that is working that day- I rotate my sales under a different permanent artist for each transaction. But I do have to write down my AUS/IPT under my own name. Does that make sense? As for the discount, we have to go to a freestanding store or at a pro store to get my discount (I work at a MAC counter at Macy's). I just have to show my most current pay stub that is less than 30days old.

SARAHluvsMAC

Im in the north east region and freelancers get no discount and are not allowed to ring...
Sort of at the bottom of the totem pole...

However they don't really have touch bases which is so less stressfull

Jenn L.

I was just hired on as a freelancer; no discount and I was told I could use my own brushes but would need a brush belt. If I used my own brushes, they would have to be marked. Otherwise they would furnish me a belt and brushes, but they would have to stay in the store, I wouldn't be able to bring them home.

calbear

#1 as far as the questions I got on that interview (going from freelance to perm) it was more about sales and customer service - I really wowed her with my knowledge of MAC she LOVED that. She could tell that I was a really big fan and I knew so much about the company.

#2 Freelancing rules vary from region to region and location to location. The Bay Area offers the 30% discount to freelancers with a valid id and a pay stub valid within 30 days. but some of our freelancers have gone to other areas and they do not allow it.

Also most of the Macy's locations allow freelancers to ring their own sales in my region but the Nordstrom and MAC stores do not allow freelancers to ring. Most locations attempt to provide freelancers with brushes but that can be a joke. I would show up at certain locations and all they would have was an old 224 and maybe a 190. Some locations would be so low on supplies that they would have no lip glass or laquer wands, spatulas or anything else. SO I started bringing ALL my own stuff, clearly marked so no one could take them and claim them as their own.

SO I typed all that to say, rules vary from location to location greatly - you never know til you are there ;-)

MissMisah

Hey Angela!
I just got hired as freelance/on-call today! (finished my paperwork & all) i was all bummed that the discount was onlee 30% .. but i guess that beats not having one at all!
greengrin.gif

anyways...did u have a problem scoring hours and stuff at first? when i went to the paperwork signing and stuff today -- where they pretty much broke everything down -- they made it seem like there wasnt much of a chance i would get a call unless i made myself 'known' ... but i dunno how to make myself known ... unless they call me in. errrr...

also...
how was ur overall experience being freelance/on-call? im kinda nervous. i have no idea what to expect ... cuz u kno, all my friends were hired as perms right off the back. PM me giiiirl...we gots ta talk!
smiles.gif

MissMisah

also..does anyone kno if the pro store in Vegas has the brush belt? im soo bummed i have to dish out $45 for this thing!!!
ssad.gif

calbear

Miss Misah - I know your profile says Bay Area but what region did you sign up to freelance for??? the best way to get known is to go into different stores and introduce yourself so they know who you are and remember you.

When I first started freelancing, I got one call three weeks later but because they liked me and I always showed up on time, prepared and was able to come in on a moments notice - by the end of my freelancing I was working close to 7 days a week between about 5 or 6 different stores.

So make friends at the counter without being tooo pushy and remember if you buy something while at the store don't forget the counter minimums so you don't tick anyone off by messing up their aus/ipt's ;-)

angela

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisah
Hey Angela!
I just got hired as freelance/on-call today! (finished my paperwork & all) i was all bummed that the discount was onlee 30% .. but i guess that beats not having one at all!
greengrin.gif

anyways...did u have a problem scoring hours and stuff at first? when i went to the paperwork signing and stuff today -- where they pretty much broke everything down -- they made it seem like there wasnt much of a chance i would get a call unless i made myself 'known' ... but i dunno how to make myself known ... unless they call me in. errrr...

also...
how was ur overall experience being freelance/on-call? im kinda nervous. i have no idea what to expect ... cuz u kno, all my friends were hired as perms right off the back. PM me giiiirl...we gots ta talk!
smiles.gif

hey love. well i was lucky. i interviewed at Macy's union square and i guess they really liked me and had me freelance there exclusively. THey didn't want to share me with other counters/stores. So I say take the advice mentioned above on how to "score" hours.

I worked on- call for about a month. I had a good experience. The thing is, you should know your shit. It helps if you know the prices of everything, and basic product knowledge of most of the products coz customers will ask! Also read up on products that you dont normally use so that just in case a customer asks about it, you'll be able to sell it! (in my case i didn't know much about the eye khols and powerpoints coz i only use fluidlines!) other than that you shouldn't have trouble. The more you know about MAC and their products, the easier it will be.

Once you start working make sure you keep up with your AUS/IPT. Managers look at that to see if you have potential in meeting sales goals. HTH!

angela

Oh yea, I'm PERMANENT now!! yaay! calbear is right- the interview questions were mostly sales and customer service questions.

giz2000

Congrats!

You know what the funny part is? I have a WAAAY higher AUS/IPT now as a freelancer than when I was part of a counter? I used to struggle to keep a 3-4 IPT, and as a freelancer, I average 9-10 IPT...what is that????? :confused: