From Freelance to Permanent employee

baybehbekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdoll
This thread was very helpful! I now have a (M.A.C) home, in a MAC Pro store
smiles.gif

ooo! you're permanent at the pro store?! how exciting! congrats!
smiles.gif

glamdoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybehbekah
ooo! you're permanent at the pro store?! how exciting! congrats!
smiles.gif

Thanks! yeah, Im part time
smiles.gif
I'm super happy and excited <3

miss_supra

Eeek, my interview for a permanent position is next week. I am stressing more now than I did as tyring out for a freelancer!

perfectbrows

Hey Hey
i just got my call for bloomingdales to audition.... iam so nervous please any advice what to do what to expext do i breath auditioning for freelance artist here in HotATL ... hELP ME i have work for dior estee lauder salesdriven but MAC IS THE BIG LEAGUE .. a little imtemenated (oops?) any advice friends
help a sista out

Thanls Muc
DBrown

Esess

Hey, I mentioned in my other thread that when I did my paperwork for Freelance, the manager told me that they don't "do much on-call". Well read in alot of threads that you should introduce yourself at counters and stores an let them know that you want to work, what do you ladies think about sending a little "hello" type card. Then following up with a quick visit. This is just something I was thinking about and wanted to get some feedback.

~LadyLocks~

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has given input/advice on this subject. It has been very helpful to me! I'm a freelancer and hope to become permanent at some point so I will keep all this in mind.

And wow, I feel soooo luck that my region gives discounts LOL
w00t.gif

siameserosa

newhere.gif
I recently got hired as a freelance artist and was so excited
greengrin.gif
!! I think they are giving me the runaround, they said they had plenty of hours now they said they dont??? Then they are taking weeks to give me my mac number? Has anyone else had this problem, this is my dream and now I am so upset,
weeping.gif
!

Ruby_Woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameserosa
newhere.gif
I recently got hired as a freelance artist and was so excited
greengrin.gif
!! I think they are giving me the runaround, they said they had plenty of hours now they said they dont??? Then they are taking weeks to give me my mac number? Has anyone else had this problem, this is my dream and now I am so upset,
weeping.gif
!

I don't believe they are giving you the run around, freelance hours have been cut a lot because of the economy. There are very little hours available, and the ones that are available are usually given to freelancers that have been there for a while.

It can take up to a month to get your employee number with mac. I waited 3 weeks for my freelance and 4 for my permanent number. Just hang in there, there are alot of things they do up in HR in NY so it takes time.

I don't think you should be upset, when something is worth it you can wait it out. Just think about it, it could be worse, you could have been not hired at all.

HTH.

siameserosa

Thanks your right I just want it sooo bad and want to work, I haven't had a job for months, it just gets really frustrating!
yes.gif

ktinagapay

nordstroms is cutting hours and I got laid off today (im a mac artist) along with FIVE of my coworkers. .....is this happening to anyone else?!

perfect way to start the holiday season!

SO STRESSED OUT,
Krystina Gapay

babyjazy21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinagapay
nordstroms is cutting hours and I got laid off today (im a mac artist) along with FIVE of my coworkers. .....is this happening to anyone else?!

perfect way to start the holiday season!

SO STRESSED OUT,
Krystina Gapay

I'm so sorry to hear that. But I really think it's going on everywhere not just MAC but a lot of other companies are laying people off. I'm a freelance makeup artist for MAC and I haven't worked for 2 months!! It's pretty frustrating!
Btw where r u located?

ktinagapay

i worked at the walnut creek counter...broadway plaza. its like in the eastbay. yeah i wasnt laid off by MAC, it was a nordstroms deal. we went from 13 people at that counter to now 8, and it gets pretty busy there. but i get it...we also get lots of returns. =/ im at a panic right now, i have two weeks to find a second stable job to go along with the free-lancing that probably is at a freeze right now too. and the MAC sets are on discount, so you knoooowww the economy is just taken a toll. well i hope the best for ALL of us.

glittersugarlip

I was wondering if the freelance/oncall hours are being cut around the bay area .... eeek i haven't worked for a good month! i'm going to call some counters around to make sure.

jmoore8018

I live in the Maryland region and I was just laid off. I know alot of freelancers whose hours have been cut DRAMATICALLY...It's the economy

dominicana90

During the interview do they only ask sales and customer service questions? Do they ask questions about products? And do you have to know ALL the products or a good amount?

I heard there is an opening for a permanent position in my area and I was wondering what should I do to prepare for any possible interviews.

Thanks for all the help!

rafaaa

Hey guys, I know its been a while since anyone's posted here, but I'm in the process of going through the transition of freelance to permanent, and I figured I'd share my experiences.
I got hired for MAC in July as a freelance, and have done so rather frequently since. I work between two counters, and recently the store manager of one informed me that there was a 20hr/week position opening up & that she'd like very much for me to interview. So today was my first interview; and it consisted of about 30 questions, mostly based off of the initial questions [what do you know about MAC, what is viva glam, give examples of good customer experience] but also included questions about my experiences working at counters and more on-the-job questions [about meeting goal etc].
She told me previously that there's a three step process to getting the position: initial verbal interview, demo with a trainer, and a phone interview with the district manager; but I'll actually be doing my demo while on the clock next week during a scheduled work day. And she also let me know she'll be calling me during the next couple days to let me know when my phone interview will be...

Pray for me, guys <3

EDIT: I aced my phone interview,waited anxiously for my demo; and ended up not having to do it. My manager liked me & the MRO did as well so I'm now permanent 20 hrs <3

serenity87

Former MAC Freelancers

How long did it take you to land a full time position. I've been working for about a month, got called in once for on call, and turned down one day because I got asked a few hours ahead of time and I had a prior engagement. I hope I didn't ruin my chances of getting called in again because it was an important engagement, but if you guys could let me know your experiences with freelance, i'd be very greatful. Thanks guys!

rafaaa

Re: Former MAC Freelancers

I freelanced for 3 months before becoming permanent. I got hired on July 1st, worked my first dat at the end of August, and got hired permanent on Friday [October 30th]. My first official day is Wednesday, and my first day as a completely permanent artist is the 13th. They only hire for permanent when there's a need, so just show up, work your butt off & prove yourself. They're not upset if you choose not to take a freelance shift, as long as you actually speak with them. Also, make sure you let the various store managers know that you're interested in a permanent position.