From Freelance to Permanent employee

MisStarrlight

Maxcat's got it exactly right.

I prefer working at my counter, compared to the store that I started at. The atmosphere is much better.

In my experience, the only real difference in the customers is that the ones that come to the counter are not as devoted to MAC as the ones in the store. They like that one-stop-shopping...that, or they are just picking up a few quick things. The average person doesn't care about the differences between the store and the counter and will go wherever is convienent for them at that moment. There are 3 MACs at the mall that I started at (2 counters & 1 store) I never understood how the counters got any business....why didn't the people just go upstairs to the MAC store? And then I realized that most people don't know/care and will buy their MAC wherever they are at.
The ones that do shop solely at a MAC store (ok, not all of them) think that they are entitled and know everything there is to know about MAC, where-as the ones that shop around are much more down to earth & eager to learn.

You'll get crazies at both the counter and the store. I get maybe 1 crazy a week at counter....they become a joke after a while.

And as far as sales go, the counter tends to be smaller sales, 1-2 items (because they're not exclusive to MAC), but if you're friendly and know your stuff you'll be able to boost up your sales.

soapbox.gif
Now don't everyone go jumping down my throat....Yes, I know, 'You shop only at MAC stores and are not like that,' or some other defense about being a counter shopper....but these are my experiences working at both locations, and I am not calling you out by name-especially considering that I've never met any of you-I don't think.

Ok, I think that's it...just had to put that disclaimer. hehehe
Hope that helps. Let us know how it goes.

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcat
Counter: Regular paycheck, staff discount, gratis.
Freelance: Totally irregular paycheck, no discount, no gratis.

The flip side:

Permanent - little flexibility in schedule, work most Sundays, holidays, etc.
Freelance - major flexibility, PRO Card discount (hey, 40% is better than nothing!
thmbup.gif
)

It depends on what's important to you. I left a permanent position and everything that came with it because I had no life outside of work. I have a family and wanted to spend time with them to (plus I couldn't go to school like I wanted to). Freelancing has given me the freedom to stay working with MAC AND to do everything else I want to do...but thats just me!!
smiles.gif

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcat
It's actually more the people you work with than whether it's a store or a counter. They're the people you work with day in and day out. Ideally, you're a team with a great levelheaded manager, which is what I've got! The customers- most are fine and normal. Remember physics - for every action is an equal opposite reaction... For every mirror-throwing cursing namecalling nutbar there is a fantabulous person who will make it all worthwhile.

Very true...even though I am pro-freelance (for my own reasons), I loved the girls at my counter (and still love to freelance there as much as possible). They become like family since you spend so much time together...there are some counters where some of the MAs are a bit much to handle and those aren't as much fun...

honeebee

When you initially told me about this, I was wondering if the counter manager told you all this, to see if you were serious about the position. I'm sure they've probably had plenty of people apply because of the presumed glamour of working at MAC. Then once the person starts, they see it isn't what they thought it was. First and foremost, this is a retail positon, freelance or permanent, which means you're are going to have to deal with all types of personalities. Personally, I would go for the permanent position.

VeronikaJ

Okay well first off, I want to say that you explained yourself very well and come off as an intelligent and caring person. Just had to say that, I am a teacher and I love to see proper grammar and/or language use!
smiles.gif
Random

I would take the permanent positon if you are looking for a steady position. Yeah, working at the store might be different but freelancing is VERY different- You don't have a discount (maybe if you apply for the PRO card, but you are just given your discount when you are permanent), you also do not receive gratis with the new launches, you are not allowed to use the register to ring up sales, you don't attend regular store meetings, you do not go to Update and Basic training, and (unfortunately) you don't get a lot of respect from the permanent staff until you pay your dues. HOWEVER, you have two rate of pay schedules- you have "freelance" rate of pay which is typically about $3 more an hour and "on-call" rate of pay which is less. Usually, depending on region, "freelance" rate of pay is substantially more than the permanents pay rate which is the same no matter what.

If this is going to be your only income and you truly want to move up in the company I would take the permanent position at the counter and just remember you are working for MAC not the department store MAC is in. I have worked as both a permanent artist and as a freelance, at a store and a counter-Permanent is better in almost all ways. Unless, you have a seperate full time job and doing make-up is just a hobby.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for the best
thmbup.gif

calbear

Just as an FYI - depending on your region you can get a freelancer discount at your local store (even if you don't have a pro card). SOme regions offer the freelancers 30% with a valid id and paystub showing work within the last 30 days. So ask around in your region. (i.e. Northern Cal gives it but Southern Cal doesn't)

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
Just as an FYI - depending on your region you can get a freelancer discount at your local store (even if you don't have a pro card). SOme regions offer the freelancers 30% with a valid id and paystub showing work within the last 30 days. So ask around in your region. (i.e. Northern Cal gives it but Southern Cal doesn't)

South FL doesn't either....
th_remoteImage-61.gif

sty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaJ
Okay well first off, I want to say that you explained yourself very well and come off as an intelligent and caring person. Just had to say that, I am a teacher and I love to see proper grammar and/or language use! :) Random

I would take the permanent positon if you are looking for a steady position. Yeah, working at the store might be different but freelancing is VERY different- You don't have a discount (maybe if you apply for the PRO card, but you are just given your discount when you are permanent), you also do not receive gratis with the new launches, you are not allowed to use the register to ring up sales, you don't attend regular store meetings, you do not go to Update and Basic training, and (unfortunately) you don't get a lot of respect from the permanent staff until you pay your dues. HOWEVER, you have two rate of pay schedules- you have "freelance" rate of pay which is typically about $3 more an hour and "on-call" rate of pay which is less. Usually, depending on region, "freelance" rate of pay is substantially more than the permanents pay rate which is the same no matter what.

If this is going to be your only income and you truly want to move up in the company I would take the permanent position at the counter and just remember you are working for MAC not the department store MAC is in. I have worked as both a permanent artist and as a freelance, at a store and a counter-Permanent is better in almost all ways. Unless, you have a seperate full time job and doing make-up is just a hobby.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for the best
thmbup.gif

\

Wow, thanks for the compliment! I was not expecting that at all
smiles.gif

Great info you provided, especially about the pay schedules, Thanks!

When you are hired as a freelancer, are you expected to pretty much know a great deal of what there is to know about the MAC and their products, being there is no training? Do they still give employees the MAC Bible on CD????

They don't let freelancers ring up products? I didn't know that. I wonder why?

sty

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeebee
When you initially told me about this, I was wondering if the counter manager told you all this, to see if you were serious about the position. I'm sure they've probably had plenty of people apply because of the presumed glamour of working at MAC. Then once the person starts, they see it isn't what they thought it was. First and foremost, this is a retail positon, freelance or permanent, which means you're are going to have to deal with all types of personalities. Personally, I would go for the permanent position.

LOVE your pic, your skin looks beautiful!!!!!

Yeah, I think it's possible that's what she could have been attempting. I think she was "keeping it real" with me a bit more than the stores. She said she told me all those things so that I would know what I was getting into. Speaking for myself, I think it is the idea of the glamour of working for MAC, yet, I still think I will do fine selling the products because I adore it so much, cosmetics in general. It's it the feared excessive pressure of selling. Everyone may think, well, heck, why did you apply or just turn down the positions, but I do want to this. This is within my element. Makeup and beauty

I think I am leaning more towards the permanent position, but hmmm... if that doesn't work out, will they later allow you to go to freelancing instead?

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sty
\

Wow, thanks for the compliment! I was not expecting that at all
smiles.gif

Great info you provided, especially about the pay schedules, Thanks!

When you are hired as a freelancer, are you expected to pretty much know a great deal of what there is to know about the MAC and their products, being there is no training? Do they still give employees the MAC Bible on CD????

They don't let freelancers ring up products? I didn't know that. I wonder why?

As a freelancer you get nothing....not a piece of traing, a MAC bible, or a helpful hint ;-) Some regions will have a one-day training but that is rare and not all freelancers get to go. Some places don't even give you a set of brushes to work with while you are there.

As far as ringing goes - some Macy's allow freelancers to ring (either under an old number, rotation of the employees on duty at that time or just under the manager). Nordies and stores typically do not allow freelancers to ring. If I remember correctly - the ringing situation is bit about the partnered locations rules as well as MAC's. At a MAC store, we have to have a number to even get into the system so that all things done on the computer are tracked - some locations don't really care but I saw people ringing under others intentionally.

FacesbyNiki

Go where you feel you would get the most for YOU. Don't go because it's the glamour of working in a store. To me, I didn't care either way. You can always move up in the company. My girl, went from working at a counter, to MAC store and now is a trainer in Phillly. I am so proud of her.

Bernadette

From Freelance to Permanent, suggestions?

I know a lot of MAC employees have started out as freelance/on-call and landed permanent positions. It seems fairly comon for people to start there. Do any of you have any suggestions on speeding up this process, letting managers know and remember your interest in doing so, etc.?
Wednesday is my first day working a shift, besides trainings I've done and I want to be permanent already haha
smiles.gif

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

MisStarrlight

Re: From Freelance to Permanent, suggestions?

Be as helpful as possible, let everyone know you're interested & check the postings if you're willing to work at any other locations.

giz2000

Be the freelancer every counter loves...I guarantee you'll be offered a perm position in no time!

How do you do that? By busting your butt when you're there...a good freelancer should work hard, be on top of things, and be part of th counter team. Usually, you'll end up at the same counters time and time again. They'll get to know you and how you work. Good luck!

amoona

I only freelanced a handful of times before I got a perm position. All I did was take a trip downtown SF (which a majority of my region's counters are) and introduced myself to all the managers and asked them if they had any part-time positions avaliable because I was interested. The second manager I asked gave me an interview on the spot!

But you gotta remember that they can only hire you perm if they have the hours. The counter I was hired at for freelance/on-call wanted me to work there part-time but they didn't have the hours to give me.

calbear

Besides what everyone else said -

Always call back when you are called for a freelance shift even if you can't make it. We will stop calling someone if they don't call back - just out of sheer courtesy.

Always be on time - and never miss a shift if you agreee to work it (unless it is absolutely necessary and make sure to call) You get 'dinged' and that info is shared with other counters/stores.

Try to see how the counter works and get in and do your part. If they want you to answer the phone like the other associates then when the phone rings - attempt to get it. Some stores don't require you to do something like that - but if they do, don't act like it's not 'your job'. Cleaning is everyone's job so do it as often as possible when there are no customers.

Learn from everyone around you. If someone has on a look you wanna learn - then ask so you can broaden your skills. Always think about learning all you can to broaden your skills. It really helps to keep your eyes open so you can see what's going on and learn and know what's happening around you (who's hiring and who's not) Like amoona said some stores just don't have the hours to hire so keep that in mind.

that's all I can think of for right now.

Hennys

I was hired as a freelancer about 2 months ago and have yet to work due to having no hours available, so I applied to a new MAC counter opening up for a perm position, and actually got called for an interview!

The bad news is they want me to do ANOTHER demo. I am so irritated, I barely could handle the stress of the first one. I thought once you are hired as a freelancer and passed the demo, you wouldn't have to do another.

My questions is: the interview is being conducted at the new location, but the counter is not even built yet, so how will the demo go? Will they just bring in a bunch of products and I'll have to play it by ear?

Also, it is a Macy's location (I used to work there and have good relationships built), will the Macy's cosmetics manager be involved in the interview or no?

Any help would be really, really appreciated!

baybehbekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennys
I was hired as a freelancer about 2 months ago and have yet to work due to having no hours available, so I applied to a new MAC counter opening up for a perm position, and actually got called for an interview!

The bad news is they want me to do ANOTHER demo. I am so irritated, I barely could handle the stress of the first one. I thought once you are hired as a freelancer and passed the demo, you wouldn't have to do another.

My questions is: the interview is being conducted at the new location, but the counter is not even built yet, so how will the demo go? Will they just bring in a bunch of products and I'll have to play it by ear?

Also, it is a Macy's location (I used to work there and have good relationships built), will the Macy's cosmetics manager be involved in the interview or no?

Any help would be really, really appreciated!

i dont know how your demo would go because of the construction but you won't have to interview with macy's. you are totally all mac and in a whole other world
smiles.gif
you'll do macy's training but it is super easy and you typically get it done in once day
smiles.gif