How old were you when you started to wear makeup?

sweetie0716

Just a few months ago i started getting into makeup.I'll be 22 in july, and before september came around all i wore was foundation. This past september i was on youtube browsing and came across a makeup video, xsparkage, and she uses mainly MAC. That is when I made my first MAC purchase and have been completely addicted ever since. It amazes me that I already spent around 2,000 on makeup since september. My boyfriend isnt happy

Sushi.

I started wearing makeup when i was in grade 6, so I guess i was about 10 or 11, and it was eyeliner that wore

Temptasia

I thought about makeup when I was about 16 and had to cover up a real bad case of teenage acne. That is when my passion for skincare and makeup began. It first started with learning to cover up and now I am learning to enhance what I have...which is a much more fun attitude.

Nadeshda

The first makeup item I bought was a Margaret Astor concealer, when I was 12 or 13, to hide the dark circles under my eyes, but it wasn't until I was like 14 that I started wearing it every day. When I was 14, I bought coloured chapsticks and at 15 I began using my mom's mascara... she eventually bought one for me :p Also at 15, I started lining my waterline with a black eyeliner pencil, and bought a lipstick from Maybelline (a Watershine, does anyone remember those?), and I wore a white eyeshadow from time to time. When I had dances or I attended weddings, I got my makeup done, but that was it.

When I entered University, at 18, I had calmed down and pretty much only used the concealer and the mascara everyday... I couldn't fanthom get out of the house without those, specially the concealer!! Eventually, I started to not freak out if I went to class without nothing on. It wasn't until last August or September that I got interested in makeup again. I actually only bought my first foundation last February, I'm still starting out
smiles.gif

makeupNdesign

15. I was madly in love with the Maybelline Eye Pencil. (They still make it 'til this day!) I would burn the tip with a lighter to warm and soften it up, then after it cooled, apply it to my waterline so it would go on pitch dark. So bad for you I'm sure but that's how my friends all did it...those were the days. Cover Girl pressed powder was a staple for me too back in high school.

I didn't wear full-on makeup until my early 20s though. Once I was introduced to MAC (early 90s) I was hooked!

seabird

probably about 11! i used to wear way too much black eyeliner, horrible lipgloss, very frosty pink lipstick in baby pink and the rest, urgh. i started wearing mac when i was 13. my best friend and her mum got me onto make-up, my mum isn't bothered about make-up.

chocolategoddes

I was allowed to wear it a few months before i turned 16. I'll allow my daughter (or son?) at least wear lip gloss and mascara at 13. Then 16, s/he can go all out.

saj20052006

I started wearing makeup lightly when I was 19 and didn't start doing a full face until the age my mid 20's and to this day, I do not wear a full face everyday and especially not during the summer. I find that people get use to seeing you with it on and when they see you without, you look terrible, so as I always say "Take Me As I Am".

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrookecorex
I remember in 5th grade I had some god awful little thing from a dollar store that had like a blush, a blue eyeshadow, and a lipstick in it, and I would smear that shit on my 11 year old face.

6th grade brought the white eyeliner trend
And then by 7th grade/age 13 I was into my routine of black eyeliner all the way around and some silver on the lid, which last until like 10th grade.
Didn't start using Mac until... 18.

Haha, the white eyeliner phase!! When I was in like 6th/7th grade, we would put just one big ass line of white eyeliner on and that's it; no mascara or anything. It was so gross. The sad thing is, I still see some girls doing it. Yikes.

Kalico

12 - mascara and concealer
14 - mascara, concealer (heh I didn't understand what the difference was between concealer and foundation, so I wore concealer as foundation for a LONG time...), blush, eyeliners
21 - threw eyeshadow into the mix!

astronaut

I started wearing eyeliner when I was in the 7th grade.. 12 years old? I've played around and thrown lipgloss, pastel shadow, and glitter on my face prior to that, but it was just random fun. I didn't get into full face makeup until I was about 16.

SmileyfacedPen

I started when I was twelve and idolized Alice Cooper. You can figure out what happened there.

When I was 13 I stopped wearing anything except foundation and a little bit of mascara. I didn't start really getting into makeup until I was 15, and now that I have a job I really love it.

I don't think any age is too young to wear makeup, really. If it's not applied right, it won't look good at any age. My mom doesn't care, my dad never cared... they always said that there is worse things I could be doing than wearing makeup/dying my hair/getting piercings/whatever I was doing at the time.

When I was seven, I started dancing, and obviously we had to have full faces on for recitals. I always thought that was fun, except for the part that we all had too look the same and... yuck, we were supposed to use the SAME lipstick.
thmbdn.gif
I would never do it, thankfully. Mom would do all my makeup and hair before we got there.

heartsarebound

I started with eyeliner for the waterline at 16 ...a bit of concealer a couple months in. Then I started using a bit of eyeshadow (although it was the cheapy bonne belle shadows). I actually really started this year (18 in a few months); eyeshadows, eyeliner, blushes, foundations, etc. I blame this on MAC and their endless products lol!
smiles.gif

mslitta

I was a very late bloomer. I didnt start wearing MU til i was about 21 y.o. and that was in like 2005. But i think MU may be okay at around 14 (tinted l/g, eye liner, and neutral eye). I think that would be perfect.

KikiB

I was 12 when I started with makeup-cheapo Wet/Wild, Jane, Covergirl-usually lipsticks and then white eyeliner. I had some unfortunate accidents with Bonne Bell bronzer way back in the day-moral of the story: always use a brush for bronzer. I had a sizeable traincase by the time I was 15, mostly of drugstore stuff that was bought on sale, and I was doing most everything: lipstick, lip gloss, eye stuff, sometimes a powder foundation, etc. Then after I got my retail job after I turned 18, I dumped the foundation, and I stick to high-end makeup.

pat

First time was 6th grade. I remember getting in trouble by my P.E. teacher, she said we weren't old enough. I remember putting on "magic lip stick" which went on clear, then would turn into a bright pink. Yuck.

Middle school - I would use a REALLY dark brown lip liner with chap stick. *shakes head*. When I look at my pictures now, I wanna slap myself. hahahaha

stacylynne

I must have been 15 or 16 when I started wearing makeup. OMG memory lane, lol. Does anyone remember lighting the black eyeliner & applyine it, lots of bronzer & the white lips?? lol o boy. Times have def. changed for the better
smiles.gif

Tashona Helena

Middle School! Probably a little experimenting before then as well. I remember wearing green eyeshadow to school and a boy being like, "Why are you wearing green eyeshadow". I didn't know what to say, I know i got angry though. Why freakin not?

Bonne Bell was my haven...I'm pretty sure they were my first black eyeliner. I remember my mom taking my eyeliner as punishment my freshman year in high school ahhh I almost passed out lol.

I remember having a thing for Jerome Russell Glitter too.

I actually wrote something that got published in Bonne Bell's newsletter back in the day about what being a girl means. My teacher took it though and I don't recall getting it back. Bitch!!! I should write them and ask if they have an archive.

Latest posts