Los Angeles area Specktrites, WE WANT TO MEET YOU!

athena123

Yep, you'll probably want to choose either/or, cut or color. If you scheduled both you'd be there for hours
smiles.gif

haircut = 20 + tip
I've never had the color done but it ranges from 25 - 50 usd

MsCuppyCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena123
OK, this is a suggestion and this is where I would take my beauty loving out of town friends [If I had any that shared my skincare and makeup obsessions
smiles.gif
] for a quintessentially LA experience.

Saturday, 9:30 am - Janice and Jaimie make an appt. at the Vidal Sassoon Academy. For a mere $20 bucks you can get a great cut and/or color done. Some of the students are advanced, and I've never been disappointed in my cuts. I tell them I don't want anything too crazy for my naturally curly hair and I'm pretty hard to please. The disadvantage is that it takes a long time, between 90 minutes and 2 hours. The advantage is that the academy is in Santa Monica, along the 3rd street promenade.

noon - the rest of us Specktra-ites [sp?] meet Janice and Jaimie somewhere along the 3rd street promenade and admire their new 'dos. Plenty of places for lunch [Wolfgang Puck to mention one] and there's a Sephora. I think someone else mentioned there's a MAC PRO store in this area as well. Lot of shopping and this is right next to the pier.

After lunch and shopping, we could wonder down to the Santa Monica pier and possibly walk over to MUSCLE Beach. You haven't lived until you've seen peeps trick out in skater's circle and the muscle bound meat heads strut their stuff.

These are one of a kind, geographic specific activities you just can't find anywhere but in Santa Monica, CA but there'll be a lot of walking, so comfortable shoes are recommended.

Of course this is just a suggestion and I'm totally open to any other possibilities!
cutey.gif

Great suggestions! I spent my summer's with my dad in Santa Monica and love it there. I'm in!!!

mslitta

this sounds great and sounds like a lot of fun. i would love to meet you and other members of specktra. there is a PF Changs in Manhattan Beach. They have great food and awsome cocktails. if there is a lot of us we could probabaly get the banquet room. I believe we have to pay in advance but its just an idea. Then we could go to the MAC store and splurge on makeup.

Yea.. the vidal sassoon school is right along 3rd street in Santa Monica.

Too bad you guys aren't coming this weekend; the MAC store on 3rd street is having an event. But it'll still be fun just going there with you guys. Then 2 or 3 shops down the street there's a Sephora. About 3 shops down from Sephora there's a Fresh store, and across from Fresh there's a LUSH store.

It's close to where I live and work (I went to UCLA and have settled near by), and it's just amazing here.

As for your hotel.. yes, it looks close. It IS close mile-wise. But in traffic, it could take up to an hour for you to get to the airport. (Grew up near Del Amo Mall, and the 405 freeway and I are bosom buddies) =D Try to get a rental car with a navigation system because that would help so much.

And I actually hate Del Amo Mall. There's not too much great stores, and there's tons of high school kids running around. I really really hate going there, even though it's so close to my parents' house. Heck, my middle school is across the street from Del Amo Mall (oooh that may explain the kid part).

Century Mall in Century City (about 5 miles from Santa Monica) is much better IMO. It's got the nice huge movie theater, a GREAT dining area (bars, restaurants, and outdoor seating), PINKBERRY (if you haven't tried Pinkberry, you are in for a treat), Sephora, LV, Coach, L'occitane, Bloomingdales, Macy's, and so much more great stores. There's even a ProActiv vending machine at Century Mall. =D

What else is there in LA that you must see. OOoh, the Max Factor Museum. It's in West Hollywood across the street from the Kodak Theater, right by a Ripley's Believe it or Not museum. You guys have to go there.

You can also see what premieres are happening the weekend your here. I use to catch them by surprise and would it's just so fun to stand by the red carpet, screaming "CAMERON, CAMERON, LOOK THIS WAY!!!" or "OMIGOD IT'S BIG TIME A-LIST STAR".. and since they are on the red carpet, they're in a better mood than you attacking them on a random street, and more likely to smile or wave to you. =D

Janice

GREAT suggestions! Keep 'em coming, I like the idea of reserving a room for Specktra members. As soon as we firm up plans I'll ask for RSVP's and depending on the response we'll see about booking a private room where we eat.

taiwanesegurl, Thank you for the local insight into the area, it really helps!

Bwell, we would LOVE to meet you of course you can join us! If you're there that weekend, and can make it out, please come!

darkishstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwanesegurl
Yea.. the vidal sassoon school is right along 3rd street in Santa Monica.

Too bad you guys aren't coming this weekend; the MAC store on 3rd street is having an event. But it'll still be fun just going there with you guys. Then 2 or 3 shops down the street there's a Sephora. About 3 shops down from Sephora there's a Fresh store, and across from Fresh there's a LUSH store.

It's close to where I live and work (I went to UCLA and have settled near by), and it's just amazing here.

As for your hotel.. yes, it looks close. It IS close mile-wise. But in traffic, it could take up to an hour for you to get to the airport. (Grew up near Del Amo Mall, and the 405 freeway and I are bosom buddies) =D Try to get a rental car with a navigation system because that would help so much.

And I actually hate Del Amo Mall. There's not too much great stores, and there's tons of high school kids running around. I really really hate going there, even though it's so close to my parents' house. Heck, my middle school is across the street from Del Amo Mall (oooh that may explain the kid part).

Century Mall in Century City (about 5 miles from Santa Monica) is much better IMO. It's got the nice huge movie theater, a GREAT dining area (bars, restaurants, and outdoor seating), PINKBERRY (if you haven't tried Pinkberry, you are in for a treat), Sephora, LV, Coach, L'occitane, Bloomingdales, Macy's, and so much more great stores. There's even a ProActiv vending machine at Century Mall. =D

What else is there in LA that you must see. OOoh, the Max Factor Museum. It's in West Hollywood across the street from the Kodak Theater, right by a Ripley's Believe it or Not museum. You guys have to go there.

You can also see what premieres are happening the weekend your here. I use to catch them by surprise and would it's just so fun to stand by the red carpet, screaming "CAMERON, CAMERON, LOOK THIS WAY!!!" or "OMIGOD IT'S BIG TIME A-LIST STAR".. and since they are on the red carpet, they're in a better mood than you attacking them on a random street, and more likely to smile or wave to you. =D

Oh god. We sound like twins. I'm Taiwanese.. and I live in the Torrance/Lomita/Harbor City area. Del Amo is my mall. And I go to UCLA. So me and the 405 are well acquainted as well. O_O

That stretch of freeway between the airport and UCLA is hell. I totally agree.

To other posters:
I vote 3rd Street Promenade!!! =) It's a BIG tourist attraction. So it's usually busy and crowded. There are a LOT of street performers there. I saw a double jointed guy dancing around once. O_O And the Sephora and MAC stores are a plus. =) There also is a GIGANTIC Urban Outfitters store.
Or Century City Mall! Either are great places. =) It's more tame, a little more upper class. Very clean and sunny. High and low-end stores. The food court is nice. There's a Fuddruckers! Yum.
And Pinkberry is a yogurt store worth trying! I loves it! =) Yogurt with 3 topping is the standard thing there. About $5.

Del Amo is nice depending on how you look at it, but it's a center for a lot of high schools, which explains the high school kids running around, but it's not really a problem. There's a lot of families and moms with kids around though. So be warned. O_O There's 2 MAC counters in the Macy's and a freestanding store a few stores away from Macy's.

LoL I've found my twin on Specktra!!!

This is getting to be super exciting. I've always wondered how it'll be like when a bunch of beauty fanatics gather. =D

pandabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkishstar
Oh god. We sound like twins. I'm Taiwanese.. and I live in the Torrance/Lomita/Harbor City area. Del Amo is my mall. And I go to UCLA. So me and the 405 are well acquainted as well. O_O

That stretch of freeway between the airport and UCLA is hell. I totally agree.

To other posters:
I vote 3rd Street Promenade!!! =) It's a BIG tourist attraction. So it's usually busy and crowded. There are a LOT of street performers there. I saw a double jointed guy dancing around once. O_O And the Sephora and MAC stores are a plus. =) There also is a GIGANTIC Urban Outfitters store.
Or Century City Mall! Either are great places. =) It's more tame, a little more upper class. Very clean and sunny. High and low-end stores. The food court is nice. There's a Fuddruckers! Yum.
And Pinkberry is a yogurt store worth trying! I loves it! =) Yogurt with 3 topping is the standard thing there. About $5.

Del Amo is nice depending on how you look at it, but it's a center for a lot of high schools, which explains the high school kids running around, but it's not really a problem. There's a lot of families and moms with kids around though. So be warned. O_O There's 2 MAC counters in the Macy's and a freestanding store a few stores away from Macy's.

Can I be triplets with you two?
th_DANCE.gif

Another Taiwanese here, also went to UCLA (over 10 years ago though), and in the South bay!

Janice, looks like your hotel is very close to lots of good restaurants! P.F. Changs mentioned earlier is a good suggestion, also Flemings and Houstons for steak, Il Fornaio is popular, all on Rosecrans if you drive towards the direction of Sepulveda Blvd. You're also right around the corner (a few blocks actually) from the new MAC store in El Segundo. In the same shopping center as MAC is a Pinkberry! and also M. Frederic, a really cool clothing boutique....Whole Foods for healthy dining (great food/salad bar). Right next to that is the Manhattan Village mall, which has a Sephora, MAC counter in Macys, LA Food Show (great for drinks at night). Fusion Sushi in Manhattan Beach is pretty good..

antirazor

I don't know how everyone feels about dancing... but every Saturday night Club Bang! is at the Ruby on hollywood blvd. and it's lots of fun. it's 18+ so most everyone could go. and they have three rooms. if you go to the myspace, they have a sample playlist from each room you can listen to- but it's indie/electro/britpop in the main room and then there's an 80s/new wave/post punk room and a pop/mashups room, which is more your run of the mill club music. it's a $13 cover charge... but if you get there early... either before 10 or 10:30 it's only $8. and it's a wonderful reason to get gussied up.

additionally, I have to recommend amoeba music on sunset blvd, which is walking distance from the ruby. and in the same area is Mann's Chinese Theater and the walk of fame...

I definitely second the Getty- free and really beautiful. and I raise you LACMA. Los Angeles County Museum of Art. they have a fantastic Contemporary Art collection. and it's free every day after 5.

I had no idea they opened up a pro store in LA! how exciting.

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear
Fusion Sushi in Manhattan Beach is pretty good..

/ears perk up ^^

More great dining suggestions, Thank you! Yea I'm a total foodie.
yes.gif
Thank you ladies for the information I am loving the info ya'll are sharing, it's really helping Jamie and get a feel for what we can do in the area during our stay!

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by antirazor
I don't know how everyone feels about dancing...

Jamie said she's going to hold a knife to my throat every evening in LA until we go to a club.
oh.gif
Someone take this woman to a LA nightlife hotspot!

Shimmer

mmmmm dancing.
Mmmmm. clubs.

yay art!

I'm not a huge foodie, but hell, I'm all for good places to eat despite that
smiles.gif

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
Jamie said she's going to hold a knife to my throat every evening in LA until we go to a club.
oh.gif
Someone take this woman to a LA nightlife hotspot!

Hey.
I've partied everywhere but the west coast, pac nw, and the upper east coast.
We're marking one off the list in two weeks baby.
winks.gif

Besides, I'm a cheap date. Two drinks and I'm giggly, and wind up dancing it all off anyway.
greengrin.gif