Los Angeles area Specktrites, WE WANT TO MEET YOU!

athena123

Just to whet your appetite for the art, hopefully you'll have the time to visit one of our fine museums while you're here. The problem won't be in finding things to see and do, rather in whittling them down to fit everything into your alloted time.
th_DANCE.gif

A few links from The Getty Center. Admission is free. I've been there 4 times and have yet to see their entire collection. In those 4 visits I've only had the time to take in the European painting section and ancient Grecian, Roman and Etruscan art. [I think most of these have since been moved to the Getty Villa in Malibu]

Some of the Van Gogh's you can see at the Getty. Until I visited, the only time I ever saw Van Gogh's Iris painting was in pictures.
Vincent van Gogh (Getty Museum)

Renoir - Pierre-Auguste Renoir (Getty Museum)
Rembrandt - Rembrandt Harmensz. van Rijn (Getty Museum)
Monet- Claude Monet (Getty Museum)
Cezanne - Paul CÃzanne (Getty Museum)

The LA County Museum of Art is pretty fantastic too.

PF Chang's is a wonderful place to dine if you like Chinese food [and who doesn't?] As a matter of fact, about 4 years ago I saw Catherine Zeta Jones in the restroom of the PF Chang's in Fashion Island. I had a crying kid on my hands and she smiled at me in sympathy. I did not ask her for her autograph and she looked amazing! Clear skin, much more petite than I thought...

Oh I'm getting excited now what the hell am I gonna wear?
tong.gif

meiming

If you go to 3rd street promenade, definitely go to Monsoon Cafe (between the J-crew and Banana Republic at the top of the Promenade closest to Wilshire Blvd. It's a fusion-y asian place and they have really good sushi and really good drinks. Plus, all the waitstaff there are hot! The MAC store there isn't a pro from what I understand, but there's pretty much every chain store you can imagine there. Here's the visitor's website
smiles.gif
: Visitors - Downtown Santa Monica - Third Street Promenade. Last time I went to the VS Salon it was closer to 30 bucks and definitely may take you 2 hours plus for your haircut but it did come out pretty well. You'll just need some neck stretches afterwards, LOL

Unfortunately it sounds like you guys will be meeting while I'm in class so have fun!

Oh yeah, and if you are going to go to Santa Monica from Manhattan Beach I definitely recommend taking streets instead of fwy. Just drive north on Sepulveda Blvd (towards airport) and just after LAX, the street will split with the left veering off to become Lincoln Blvd. If you stay on Lincoln, it'll take you exactly into the heart of Santa Monica
smiles.gif
It's really not that bad of a drive. Google Maps

When you are in your rental car, AM 980 always has freeway traffic on the 1s (9:01, 9:11, 9:21, etc.) and AM 1070 always has traffic on the 5s (9:05, 9:15, etc.)

SuSana

Quote:
Originally Posted by antirazor

I definitely second the Getty- free and really beautiful. and I raise you LACMA. Los Angeles County Museum of Art. they have a fantastic Contemporary Art collection. and it's free every day after 5.

I love LACMA...and the Getty. Such a hard choice. Go to one though, you won't regret it
smiles.gif

meiming

If you go to the Pro store on Robertson, I'd go to Bread Bar to eat (yum, carbs!), Joan's on 3rd, or Doughboys. They are very hip spots, especially on the weekends, but as is with everywhere in West Hollywood, parking is horrendous. You'll just have to hunt the best you can for street parking. Of course there are other fun places around there other than those. The Grove is also a fun place to go near Robertson (Off Fairfax between 3rd and Beverly) but no MAC store actually there. It does have a permanent farmer's market that has yummy eats.

MsCuppyCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by meiming
If you go to the Pro store on Robertson, I'd go to Bread Bar to eat (yum, carbs!), Joan's on 3rd, or Doughboys. They are very hip spots, especially on the weekends, but as is with everywhere in West Hollywood, parking is horrendous. You'll just have to hunt the best you can for street parking. Of course there are other fun places around there other than those. The Grove is also a fun place to go near Robertson (Off Fairfax between 3rd and Beverly) but no MAC store actually there. It does have a permanent farmer's market that has yummy eats.

I second all of these places.

The Hollywould at Star Shoes, Hollywould at Star Shoes Bar | Los Angeles - DailyCandy+, is also a fun place we can go to.

meiming

Another fun thing for Janice and Shimmer might be to do a shopping/window shopping spree in Beverly Hills, if only just to walk through the glitsy stores along Rodeo, the more typical stores down Beverly, the cute places along Little Santa Monica, or frolick through Barneys and Saks on Wilshire. (hint, there are at least 2 completely awesome chocolate shops there and a killer gourmet doughnut place in that neighborhood too!)
winks.gif

Sadly, if it was any other weekend, I could give you guys the driving tour of the westside because although I don't know the places around South Bay so much, I do know everything in the westside from Santa Monica to K-town, from Culver City up to Hollywood, and beyond into Monterey Park and the "chinese valley" aka San Gabriel Valley.

Ohh dear.. How can we forget authentic and delicious Chinese food in the heart of San Gabriel Valley?!??

Forget PF Chang's. Pretty much ANY Chinese restaurant in San Gabriel is better than PF Chang's, and much cheaper too.

And dim sum? I've been craving dimsum like crazy. Tons of great dim sum spots in SGV too. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it (and I had a large dinner).

And K-Town?? oooh yea!! some All-you-can-eat Korean BBQ!!!! and DRINKING and KARAOKE-ING!! and MORE FOOD!!!

There's also this.. Hollywood Men, which is similar to those Chippendale boys in Hollywood (corner of Hollywood and Highland). I haven't been there yet, but my coworker went for her bachelorette party a while ago. Cute men dancing, shaking their booties, AND afterwards it either turns into a club with music and drinks or you walk a few feet to a club. You guys might want to google that.

And.. when did the South Bay become so.. poppin'? After I left and said see-ya? Oh well.. nothing there that I can't get on the westside..

Shimmer

That would be lovely, but we're only there for 4 days and they're looking pretty full! Maybe next time.
smiles.gif

darkishstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwanesegurl
Ohh dear.. How can we forget authentic and delicious Chinese food in the heart of San Gabriel Valley?!??

Forget PF Chang's. Pretty much ANY Chinese restaurant in San Gabriel is better than PF Chang's, and much cheaper too.

And dim sum? I've been craving dimsum like crazy. Tons of great dim sum spots in SGV too. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it (and I had a large dinner).

And K-Town?? oooh yea!! some All-you-can-eat Korean BBQ!!!! and DRINKING and KARAOKE-ING!! and MORE FOOD!!!

There's also this.. Hollywood Men, which is similar to those Chippendale boys in Hollywood (corner of Hollywood and Highland). I haven't been there yet, but my coworker went for her bachelorette party a while ago. Cute men dancing, shaking their booties, AND afterwards it either turns into a club with music and drinks or you walk a few feet to a club. You guys might want to google that.

And.. when did the South Bay become so.. poppin'? After I left and said see-ya? Oh well.. nothing there that I can't get on the westside..

Yeah, forget P.F. Chang's and Pei Wei! Go to Monterey Park or San Gabriel for Chinese food! Ay-chung in San Gabriel is good for Taiwanese...
winkiss.gif

matsubie

you guys need to seriously post pictures and share!

i'm getting excited reading about the stuff you guys may possibly do.

next time visit nyc!

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsubie
next time visit nyc!

Don't want to get off topic, but NY is where I'll go next. I need to visit the beautiful MAC_Whore and all the wonderful members & friends in NY! I'll need to recover from LA first ($$$) so hopefully later this year!
smiles.gif

BohemianSheila

I haven't read the thread to the end, so this may be a repeat, but if you meet at South Coast Plaza area, it would be closer for the SD gals & guys. It's more "centralized".

imnotshelley

Hey everyone!!

I've been lurking forever and finally joined Specktra! And what perfect timing! I'm a South Florida girl and guess what? I'm moving to LA this weekend!! Unfortunately I can't offer any suggestions since I've only visited a few times previously, but now I am really looking forwarding to meeting you all! =)

Debbie

Mmmmmm San Gabriel Chinese food... lol, we'd be so sleepy from the food though. While I agree that nothing beats San Gabriel chinese food....PF Chang's is good if you don't call it Chinese food.

Another thought...Sautelle near UCLA? I know you UCLA girls are probably sick of it, but I love the atmosphere there if you're looking for a casual dinner...and then some dessert at Pinkberry's.