LV Speedy bag...

LMD84

so what are you thoughts on the Louis Vuitton monogram Speedy bag? i have seen quite a few people raving about this bag recently and i know it's a LV classic. I've been pondering a new bag for some time now. And i was thinking of getting one from Coach when i go to the us next year. However now i am thinking of getting this bag now and then getting a coach wallet or wristlet insted.

But what i'm wondering is.... if you own this bag is the size 30 big enough for day to day use? i tend to take a magazine, wallet, keys, phone, nintendo ds, umberella with me. the reason why i am thinking about this size is because i'm bigger in size and therefore i'd rather a larger sized bag than a smaller one to be in proportion with me!

also how long does the leather take to darken? i'm not so keen on the way it looks when you first get it!

and do you think it's worth the price of £415?!

fingie

I could be wrong, since I'm not a big LV follower, but I thought the sizes were 30, 35, 40. So in that case, the 30 would actually be the smallest and maybe not what you're looking for... Again though, I'm not totally sure. I think that if you are good to your bags and can justify spending that much, then do it! I think whether something is "worth it" or not is solely individual to each person. If I wasn't such a mess with how I treated my bags, then it would be worth it to me. But as of right now with how often I spill things in my Coach bags, or throw pens/pencils/whatever in there that mark up the side, I just can't justify spending that kind of money. (although trust me, I would love to!!)

dietcokeg

hey, the size 30 i think would be big enough for all your stuff, although it is the smallest size. the darkining of the leather thing - the more you use it the faster it darkens, iam guessing with regular use it would take a few months 2 darken - i personally prefer the way it looks withthe light leather, buts its goregous either way. is it worth the price? in my opinon -YES, its an amazing bag and you truly get what you pay for. if you want more information about the LV bags - youtube makeupbymel, makeupbytiffanyd - the have LV bags and they briefly talked about them, it should answer all ur questions! iam gonna start saving up for a speedy 40 - will take me a good few years 2 save up for it! let us know if u decide 2 buy and it and if so, i need 2 see pics, iam just in love with that bag, its really all that and a packet of chips!!

pleomorphic

Hi! The 30 is not the smallest, that's the 25. Here are the specs from louisvuitton.com:
Speedy 25 $665 USD
9.8” x 7.5” x 5.9”

Speedy 30 $690 USD
11.8” x 8.3” x 6.7”

LMD84

awesome! thanks for the advise guys!
smiles.gif
it is cheaper than other designer bags i have been looking at
smiles.gif
and i shall check out the 2 yourtubers mentioned that have them so i can get some more info on them!

and if i do get it i will certaintly take some pictures for you all to see. i might end up bieng the end of jan / feb though if i get it
smiles.gif

Machinegun_Cali

I have the speedy 30

sturdy
smaller but still holds a lot
matches with a lot of stuff

Cons

price 690 ( bout 725 with taxes) for 90 % plastic coated canvas with small leather handles. I guess you are really paying for the monogram. I felt it was the same thing as a dooney and bourke with a different print, and Ive long since gotten over by DB phase.

small handles, cant put it over your shoulder ( thats a biggie for me)

the slit to get into the purse can be a bit odd at times. Purse holds lots of stuff but the slit doesnt open too wide to get crap out.

the handles got darker for me after like 4 months of being in my purse rotation. thats not a big deal to me though.

In all it is an ok purse. But I will never buy a monogrammed LV purse again. I will pay $$$ for some 100% leather really detailed purse but not for a plastic purse with some leather on it.

Junkie

I loved my bag (I got the black multicolour Sologne) - but it was a smaller purse with longer strap. It ages well even though the leather "spotting" (kinda like raindrops) kind of freaked me out at first.

I'm a bigger person as well and can't stand smaller bags. I really can't stand shoulder bags either, so I've been thinking about getting a Keepall version in 50, 55 or 60 - and in the golden brown monogram. You an buy the larger straps for these and they can double as a weekender bag.

The bigger the better in any case
smiles.gif

pleomorphic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinegun_Cali

the slit to get into the purse can be a bit odd at times. Purse holds lots of stuff but the slit doesnt open too wide to get crap out.

Yeah, you're right. It is a little weird like that. I just jam all my stuff in, and like you said, the purse has the room, it's just the mouth *is* a tad small. All in all, I still like it. I'm not afraid to use it exactly because of the reasons you listed-it's a plasticized canvas. It doesn't scratch or stain easily at all, and I don't freak out every time it rubs up against the car door or something. Soft leather purses like Celine Boogies, while I like them, are a nightmare of panicked inspecting every night when I get home.
shockt.gif
I'm far from rich, and when I drop cash like that on a purse, I'm obsessive about taking care of it. Time to pull that baby out of storage!
smiles.gif

LMD84

the fact it doesn't scratch or stain easy is a good thing for me! so that's a major plus!

and yes i like my bags to be bigger. i used to be all about having a tiny bag. but now i have so much stuff i feel like i can't quite fit it all in nicely!

and thanks for your pros and cons list Machinegun_Cali
smiles.gif
so the actual zipper is hard to get things out and in if they are of larger size? good to know. and i'd be pleased of my handles go darker after 4 months!

purplerinne

don't wait too long...prices for LV bags go up every 6 months. Not on all the bags but who knows which bag will get the price increase. 2 years ago I bought my black epi speedy for $890 and now i'm shocked to see it at over $1000!...

teaberry

i was eyeing off the speedy for about 5 years before getting it.. finally decided to buy it.. have used it almost every day since i bought it.. i think i bought it in 2007.. i also have a smaller one which i take out on the weekends. a good investment!

fallenang3l211

Speedy 30 was my first of many LV's! I have 2 Speedys now, both 30s - Monogram & Damier Canvas. I got my mom the 35. IMO the 35 is a little too big for me, the 25 is too small...the 30 is just right. I can stuff a light sweater, wallet, bottle of water, makeup bag, ds, ipod, etc in there! I tend to like bigger purses, but not over sized.

I used my Monogram Canvas bag for about 6 weeks before the leather started to darken.

Def a classic. I'll be using my Speedy until I'm 80! Gah..I'm so glad I got my first one in 2006! The 30 at that time was $525! I've been wanting a Damier Azure but I just can't bring myself to spending so much on it
ssad.gif

CandeeNova

I LOVE the LV Speedy in 30! For me, It's too expensive so I've been looking for an affordable replica forever! I love the timelessness of it and I love that it goes with everything! I love the style that Jackie Kennedy Onasis was known for and this bag just screams Jackie O to me! Someday, I'll get a real one!
cutey.gif

ButterflyDior77

I have the speedy 30 ( I bought it in 2004 at 515.00, total with tax: 555.00, and I got it from Saks since LV store didn't have any in.).
I love the bag, it is like a bottomless pit. I can fold a sweater, make up, glasses, ipod all in it...I admit it isn't the most convenient bag, when going out to eat...I find it having its own chair and sweater underneath as I don't want to get it dirty. Or having to rest it on my lap, which can be annoying.

However it doesn't stain easily on the canvas, but the handles and other leather bits do stain and of course change color over time. However I use it rarely and keep it tucked away in its dust cover and original bag it came with , swept under and away from sunlight, so the handles have only darkened two or three shades.

I find myself using my Pochette Accessories bag the most. It's about the right size to put a few key things in it , for quick trips or errands for which I do mostly these days. And I see it has gone up one hundred dollars since 2004. Bummer.

shea_47

I have a Speedy 25 that I bought in October of 2006 and I loveeee it. I wouldn't recommend the 25 for you though, it's difficult to stick a magazine in because of the opening/shape of the bag. A 30 would be good for sure. About 6-8 weeks of constant wear made my handles darken to a nice patina.

One thing though, these purses are complete bottomless pits, so I would recommend using smaller pouches inside to keep smaller things in (change, lipgloss, mints, etc) because I've had gum disappear for weeks only to be found underneath everything in the bag. Since then, I bought a purse organizer, the Purseket in small (which works better in a Speedy 30) and it has saved me from my little bottomless pit
smiles.gif

DILLIGAF

I have a Speedy 35. When I went to purchase the bag there was only a $15 difference between it and the 30. I love large bags so the choice was obvious. Ive had my speedy for over 5 years and because of diligent care its still pretty brand new looking. My handles have darkened but because its not my everyday bag it took some time for it to do so. The 35 is a catch all and I use smaller pouches to keep small things organized. However I do that with all my bags. Like I said I love a big bag. I think the next bag I have my eye on is the Gucci Horsebit bag.

fallenang3l211

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyDior77

I find myself using my Pochette Accessories bag the most. It's about the right size to put a few key things in it

i keep one of these in my purse, too. speedy or any other purse i'm carrying..but i use it for things like a contact case, lotion, band aids, tampons, benadryl..its like a little mini medical bag/emergency kit. makes for less of a mess in side speedy or any other purse.

speedy really is like a bottomless pit.

25 is not practical imo. i can stick a 5STAR 5subject notebook inside the 30.

GirlyGirl18

I find that the 30 is the best size... I thought the 25 was a bit too small (and I'm petite and 5'1") to carry all of my things. I have the Damier instead of the Monogram though, just a matter of personal preference.

I used to love Coach as well but I find that Louis Vuitton is more of a classic style.