MAC - Flighty Discussion

katred

Specktra Bestie
i wore my green mascara from wonder woman for the first time a couple of days ago - i think i have decided that i don't like it afterall - i think that because i have short lashes i need black to make them look bigger!

My lashes are pretty long, but I'm still iffy about the green mascara. I find that it just disappears.

Swirlgirl

Bummer that the coloured mascaras aren't perm. I haven't yet made it to the counter to pick up the grey one, but I'll probably have to buy multiples of it, if it fits Liba's description. I miss my grey mascara of yore.

I am still liking the big bounce shadows (I know I'm totally in the minority on this one), but their watercolor effect is so pretty and so on trend. There should have probably been some R&D tweaks made - I think Kate is spot on that MAC probably pushed the launch of such a product - but I'm so glad I have a few of these. I am wearing the pale gold one again today and it really brings out the slight yellow flecks in my eyes.

Haven

^^^ I also must admit that I like a couple of these shadows. Initially (as I said in earlier posts) I was less than thrilled with BB. I have been playing around with them a lot though, and now I am especially a fan of Free As Air. I have done several looks with this shadow and have gotten compliments when I wear it. My husband even said something nice about it, and he is the type of guy who never really pays attention to make up.

It did take a little effort to get this shadow to work, but I do like the way it looks on. I won't go out and buy a bunch of these, but I am happy that I have Free As Air. It is too bad that it is supposed to expire in 6 months. I am not sure that I could use it all up by then.

liba

Bummer that the coloured mascaras aren't perm. I haven't yet made it to the counter to pick up the grey one, but I'll probably have to buy multiples of it, if it fits Liba's description. I miss my grey mascara of yore.

I am still liking the big bounce shadows (I know I'm totally in the minority on this one), but their watercolor effect is so pretty and so on trend. There should have probably been some R&D tweaks made - I think Kate is spot on that MAC probably pushed the launch of such a product - but I'm so glad I have a few of these. I am wearing the pale gold one again today and it really brings out the slight yellow flecks in my eyes.
I've been loving the colored Opulash and the grey Zoomlash for sure, but I think if you are very used to the thick, ultra-black mascara look, it may take a little adjusting to. I've got dark lashes and dark dramatic eyebrows and light eyes, so I've never depended heavily on heavy mascara looks (plus in the past, older formulas from all sorts of brands would run on me) - I like the jet black, thick look but I've never made it a signature. Lots of times I skip mascara entirely, because I like the undone, deconstructed look.

I really do love the style of colored mascaras with matching liner and/or shadow all around the eye plus minimalist cheeks and neutral lips - great combo to wear with pretty dresses, military colors and cuts and architectural suits, clothing-wise. Very fresh and modern. People definitely comment on the colored lashes too, so it's for sure visible over darker lashes.

Chrystia

Hey everyone! I just wanted to sneak on here and throw some ideas and tricks for those who are wanting to like the Big Bounce Eyeshadows, but struggling with them.

Initially I had the same problems on myself and with customers using these shadows. They didn't build nicely and the creasing. However the girls at my counter and I brainstormed together to figure out how we can use these shadows. After some trial and error we realized the key to successfully using these shadows is in the technique.

1) Definitely still use a good non creasing eyeshadow base. Personally I've been wearing the Urban Decay primer potion the most, but the paints and paint pots work well also.

2) Put on your regular eyeshadows first. (yesterday I put on UDPP, then followed with Paradisco all over my lid and Mystery in my crease and outer lid.)

3) Using a very very stiff brush with synthetic fibers or MAC 227 apply your Big Bounce EyeShadow. Don't use a lot of product on the brush. Keep it minimal. Now the trick is rather than sweeping this product. YOu're going to to stipple it very fast and quickly. Essentially bouncing the brush gently over the areas you want to have the shadow. It's almost like sponge painting. It takes a few practice runs, but it does work. I have been wearing these shadows all over including my crease area without creasing and this method has allowed me to build the colour so it is less sheer. (I did my make up at 8am yesterday and didn't get home until 8 in the evening. My eyes still looked great with no creasing) The great thing about doing the little quick bounces of product it helps air dry the shadow too so that also helps with the creasing.

Hopefully that might help some of you out that like me love the colours but were struggling to get them to work.

liba

So what would you guys prefer to use to apply these shadows, a brush or your fingers?
I prefer my fingers, patting it on lightly after applying a few light dots. I don't like them over primer, either.

I DID use Count Your Assets as a base under My Dark Magic the other night and it brought out all the glitter without over-emphasizing the black base in the MES or looking heavy/thick. Nice!

katred

Specktra Bestie
So what would you guys prefer to use to apply these shadows, a brush or your fingers?

I found that it was impossible to get the colour even with my fingers (although it's possible that I'm just a lot less dextrous than some of the other ladies here). The only thing that worked for me was a rounded, fairly soft fluffy brush used to pat product into place.

Swirlgirl

I too use a finger. For me the trick was figuring out you need just the tiniest amount. Too much product and they go on uneven. After I have it patted on, I'll take a 224 or 217 and just blend out the edges to make a super seamless transition. Like Liba, I use no base and primarily just use these as a sheer "watercolor" wash all over the lid. Although I do like the way they layer under other e/s as well. They are definitely a somewhat tricky, fussy product.

elegant-one

[quote name="LMD84" url="/forum/thread/173813/mac-flighty-discussion/720#post_2121902"]

i have been using my finger - clean of course! :)

[/quote] LOL!

liba

I wore my sample of the light olive green today with Joie de Vivre (still the old one from Lillyland. still works great - it's not dried up or sweaty...must be the nice dry air of L.A.) and XXXhibitionist over a red pencil for that perfect Hibiscus duping.

The olive still is probably the best of the whole bunch. I think I'm probably going to get the full size and split it with a gf.

OH! And I got my original black leather jacket from 1978 out of storage and am still wearing it right now. It's so cool to be able to fit back into clothes I had when I was 14 :D I must have had all my boobs in by then, lol.

LMD84

I wore my sample of the light olive green today with Joie de Vivre (still the old one from Lillyland. still works great - it's not dried up or sweaty...must be the nice dry air of L.A.) and XXXhibitionist over a red pencil for that perfect Hibiscus duping.

The olive still is probably the best of the whole bunch. I think I'm probably going to get the full size and split it with a gf.

OH! And I got my original black leather jacket from 1978 out of storage and am still wearing it right now. It's so cool to be able to fit back into clothes I had when I was 14 :D I must have had all my boobs in by then, lol.
wow!! that's so cool! :) enjoy wearing it again!

ladyarwen

I swatched one of the shadows at the counter this morning, and I wasn't too impressed. They don't apply evenly and take forever to set. Sooooo glad I went for Fashion Flower instead.