MAC Matchmaster Foundation Discussion

martiangurll

I've been testing foundations all week (have purchased Face and Body in C2 so far) but wouldn't mind picking up a second with slightly more coverage. Thus far, I've tested the F&B, Pro Longwear NC25 (far too heavy feeling for me although I love the wear time), Studio Sculpt NC20 (also a bit too heavy for daily wear on its own). I went in for the Bay's Family and Friends event (10% all cosmetics for my fellow Canadians) and was picking up a couple of staples when the MUA asked if I'd ever tested Matchmaster. She matched me to 1.5; when she tested it against my jawline she said it just melted in. This particular MUA seems to think that I'm between NC 20 and NC25.

I came home and redid my makeup to test. It seemed light against my skin when I first dabbed it on but it did disappear into the skin as I buffed it in with my 130.

Do those of you who have this product still like it now that you've been using it a few months? I like that it's mattifying (my skin is combination in the winter months but oily in the summer) and doesn't seem too heavy. I'll give it a couple of days, but I would appreciate some feedback from those of you who own it.

Thanks!
I still really like it but I mix it with a lighter foundation because the 1.5 is a little too dark for my winter skin and 1.0 is still a little too light. Also, the full coverage is too much for every day for me, but perfect if I sheer it out a little with a less than full coverage foundation or some moisturizer or primer...I apply with my Sonia Kashuk peep looking spongey thing (Target version of the Beauty Blender) and then buff with my 187...

BlissfullyYours

I've been testing foundations all week (have purchased Face and Body in C2 so far) but wouldn't mind picking up a second with slightly more coverage. Thus far, I've tested the F&B, Pro Longwear NC25 (far too heavy feeling for me although I love the wear time), Studio Sculpt NC20 (also a bit too heavy for daily wear on its own). I went in for the Bay's Family and Friends event (10% all cosmetics for my fellow Canadians) and was picking up a couple of staples when the MUA asked if I'd ever tested Matchmaster. She matched me to 1.5; when she tested it against my jawline she said it just melted in. This particular MUA seems to think that I'm between NC 20 and NC25.

I came home and redid my makeup to test. It seemed light against my skin when I first dabbed it on but it did disappear into the skin as I buffed it in with my 130.

Do those of you who have this product still like it now that you've been using it a few months? I like that it's mattifying (my skin is combination in the winter months but oily in the summer) and doesn't seem too heavy. I'll give it a couple of days, but I would appreciate some feedback from those of you who own it.

Thanks!
Hi! Have you been still using this foundation?? How did you like it? Did it cause any breakouts??

BlissfullyYours

If you love Matchmaster and have oily skin, you NEED to try the marine moisturizing gel that's out with Lightfully underneath. I've been using it this past week and I think it will be a moisturizing revelation for people with oily and combo skin, plus it definitely adds extra clean glow to the skin. Matchmaster works best over well-moisturized skin and even for non-oily skinned people, the marine moisturizer might be the best combo with it, as far as creating a beautiful perfect finish goes.
Heyyy!! What about people with dry skin?? I use the strobe underneath it and I like it but around my mouth it still gets a tad dry looking... any suggestions??
(And I dont have combination. My skin just isn't oily... It's normal except for under my lips and the sides of my mouth. I have like dry patches of skin. (Darn you Benefit Moisturizer -_-)

liba

Heyyy!! What about people with dry skin?? I use the strobe underneath it and I like it but around my mouth it still gets a tad dry looking... any suggestions??
(And I dont have combination. My skin just isn't oily... It's normal except for under my lips and the sides of my mouth. I have like dry patches of skin. (Darn you Benefit Moisturizer -_-)
I have very dry skin. I always use serum (P&P Moisture Infusion) and moisturizer (not MAC) underneath Matchmaster and make sure to apply the Matchmaster before they've fully sunk in.

Also sometimes a little spray of Fix+ on top.

It is a very formal, porcelain bisque type of finish, though, so if you prefer a dewey look, there are better options out there. I usually use Matchmaster for evening and for the dead of winter. I use the Mineralize cream foundation in the compact for more daytime casual looks.

BlissfullyYours

ooo, tips. Thank you! And idk if its my because of my moisturizer (It makes me shiny), but in photos my face is like, sometimes shimmery with Matchmaster Foundation. Do you or anyone else notice this?
I have very dry skin. I always use serum (P&P Moisture Infusion) and moisturizer (not MAC) underneath Matchmaster and make sure to apply the Matchmaster before they've fully sunk in. Also sometimes a little spray of Fix+ on top. It is a very formal, porcelain bisque type of finish, though, so if you prefer a dewey look, there are better options out there. I usually use Matchmaster for evening and for the dead of winter. I use the Mineralize cream foundation in the compact for more daytime casual looks.

NaturallyUrs

you know, I have it in 8.5...but when I was matched, it was during the summer months and I'm outdoors a lot. I'm wondering if I should get matched again because it feels dark on me now. I thought maybe it was mineralized Skinfinish powder I've been using to set. I use the color sun power.

Pinkdollface

I'm wondering if I should get matched again because it feels dark on me now. I thought maybe it was mineralized Skinfinish powder I've been using to set. I use the color sun power.
I believe the Mineralize Skinfinish in the colour Sun Power is meant to be used as a bronzer and not an allover powder, so that might indeed be your problem.

ma146rina

That post reminded me that i need to try this foundation... collections always take my monthly makeup money and i haven't haul anything from the permanent line for so long.does a thread about permanent items even exist?!

Pinkdollface

You're welcome
smiles.gif

martiangurll

That post reminded me that i need to try this foundation... collections always take my monthly makeup money and i haven't haul anything from the permanent line for so long.does a thread about permanent items even exist?!
I really liked Matchmaster and I plan to use up both of the bottles I have of it, but the coverage is too full for me--its pretty mask- like so I save it for really bad face days or mix it down with primer to sheer it out a bit. I am switching over to the Mineralize founation, which I love, its perfect coverage and match, [I had to mix Matchmaster 1 and 1.5 to get a good match for my skin.]

I would recommend get a sample of each if you can to see which works out better for you. I would compare Matchmaster to Revlon Colorstay in terms of full coverage if you are familiar with that product and Mineralize is more comparable to L'Oreal Visible Lift or similar Lancome products (which I love, but hate the lack of sun coverage).

HTH

liba

I really liked Matchmaster and I plan to use up both of the bottles I have of it, but the coverage is too full for me--its pretty mask- like so I save it for really bad face days or mix it down with primer to sheer it out a bit. I am switching over to the Mineralize founation, which I love, its perfect coverage and match, [I had to mix Matchmaster 1 and 1.5 to get a good match for my skin.]

I would recommend get a sample of each if you can to see which works out better for you. I would compare Matchmaster to Revlon Colorstay in terms of full coverage if you are familiar with that product and Mineralize is more comparable to L'Oreal Visible Lift or similar Lancome products (which I love, but hate the lack of sun coverage).

HTH
Maybe try a different brush with Matchmaster. I normally use a plain old 190, but the last time I had my makeup done, the guy (who is BRILLIANT - one of the best makeup applications I've ever had), used a 188!
thud.gif
That was a big surprise, but it really applied it perfectly. We used Mineralize, but I've tried that brush with Matchmaster at home with great results too. Matchmaster is my "formal" winter foundation ( I use 1, and it's actually a bit better on me lately than when I first got it).

I recently used up my Mineralize cream foundation, so I bought a bottle of the liquid Mineralize and it's so awesome. Easiest to work with and best finish I've encountered so far and my dry skin doesn't suffer from it. Wound up getting a bottle in NW20, rather than my usual NC15, for something a little more casual looking, now that my skin has changed a bit. The NC15 is a teeny bit better match with my neck, but is just a bit formal looking lately on me. I think I will buy the NC15 too, then use it down the center of my face, with the NW20 on the sides and under the eyes, where it's more subtle. I'm wearing it right now and applying it with the 188, I got it all on perfectly in half a minute.

With Matchmaster, I always put my serum and moisturizer on first, but don't let it sink in as much as I would for other makeup - I just give it a moment and blend the Matchmaster right on top, then use a spritz of Fix+. If I use powder with it, I only use something like Elude, that has plenty of reflectivity in it. Those beauty powders from Archie's Girls are good with it too, but Forever Marilyn is way too matte looking to go with, for my tastes, except if I want a really high fashion retro thing for a special night out.

martiangurll

Maybe try a different brush with Matchmaster. I normally use a plain old 190, but the last time I had my makeup done, the guy (who is BRILLIANT - one of the best makeup applications I've ever had), used a 188! :thud: That was a big surprise, but it really applied it perfectly. We used Mineralize, but I've tried that brush with Matchmaster at home with great results too. Matchmaster is my "formal" winter foundation ( I use 1, and it's actually a bit better on me lately than when I first got it). I recently used up my Mineralize cream foundation, so I bought a bottle of the liquid Mineralize and it's so awesome. Easiest to work with and best finish I've encountered so far and my dry skin doesn't suffer from it. Wound up getting a bottle in NW20, rather than my usual NC15, for something a little more casual looking, now that my skin has changed a bit. The NC15 is a teeny bit better match with my neck, but is just a bit formal looking lately on me. I think I will buy the NC15 too, then use it down the center of my face, with the NW20 on the sides and under the eyes, where it's more subtle. I'm wearing it right now and applying it with the 188, I got it all on perfectly in half a minute.  With Matchmaster, I always put my serum and moisturizer on first, but don't let it sink in as much as I would for other makeup - I just give it a moment and blend the Matchmaster right on top, then use a spritz of Fix+. If I use powder with it, I only use something like Elude, that has plenty of reflectivity in it. Those beauty powders from Archie's Girls are good with it too, but Forever Marilyn is way too matte looking to go with, for my tastes, except if I want a really high fashion retro thing for a special night out.
Okay dumb question: do you put foundation on the brush or on your face then blend with the brush? Do you apply fix to the brush? I'd like to make matchmaster work because the longevity is killer. I can go all day without any touch ups and my t zone is super oily.

NaturallyUrs

Okay dumb question: do you put foundation on the brush or on your face then blend with the brush? Do you apply fix to the brush? I'd like to make matchmaster work because the longevity is killer. I can go all day without any touch ups and my t zone is super oily.
I place dots of the foundation on my face and then use the brush to blend/spread it on my face. I use a stippling brush.

MsKb

Maybe try a different brush with Matchmaster. I normally use a plain old 190, but the last time I had my makeup done, the guy (who is BRILLIANT - one of the best makeup applications I've ever had), used a 188!
thud.gif
That was a big surprise, but it really applied it perfectly. We used Mineralize, but I've tried that brush with Matchmaster at home with great results too. Matchmaster is my "formal" winter foundation ( I use 1, and it's actually a bit better on me lately than when I first got it).

I recently used up my Mineralize cream foundation, so I bought a bottle of the liquid Mineralize and it's so awesome. Easiest to work with and best finish I've encountered so far and my dry skin doesn't suffer from it. Wound up getting a bottle in NW20, rather than my usual NC15, for something a little more casual looking, now that my skin has changed a bit. The NC15 is a teeny bit better match with my neck, but is just a bit formal looking lately on me. I think I will buy the NC15 too, then use it down the center of my face, with the NW20 on the sides and under the eyes, where it's more subtle. I'm wearing it right now and applying it with the 188, I got it all on perfectly in half a minute.

With Matchmaster, I always put my serum and moisturizer on first, but don't let it sink in as much as I would for other makeup - I just give it a moment and blend the Matchmaster right on top, then use a spritz of Fix+. If I use powder with it, I only use something like Elude, that has plenty of reflectivity in it. Those beauty powders from Archie's Girls are good with it too, but Forever Marilyn is way too matte looking to go with, for my tastes, except if I want a really high fashion retro thing for a special night out.
I used to use the 188 for foundation and loved it..but i needed it for my highlighters so i switched to the 109..this makes me want to revert! t

liba

I put the foundation on the back of my hand and then get the brush coated from there. I don't pick up everything on my hand onto the brush at once. If I use Fix+, I'd just mist my face afterwards, that looks nice with Matchmaster if you do it lightly.

The longevity on the Mineralize liquid foundation is really good too, I find, but I don't have any oily spots.

martiangurll

I put the foundation on the back of my hand and then get the brush coated from there. I don't pick up everything on my hand onto the brush at once. If I use Fix+, I'd just mist my face afterwards, that looks nice with Matchmaster if you do it lightly.  The longevity on the Mineralize liquid foundation is really good too, I find, but I don't have any oily spots. 
I tried Matchmaster with a bare escentuals foundation brush since I don't have the 188 and that works beautifully! I put the foundation in dabs with my sponge presoaked with fix and buffed like gangbusters. I used very light p&p transparent finishing powder to set and did a final mist with fix and it was perfect! Lasted a ten hour day too. Thank you for the application tips all my lovely specktra peeps ♡☆☆:O

miss0annette

Reviving an old thread here. I went to my mac counter today with no makeup on. I was in to renew my pro card. Anywho, I asked to be matched to a foundation and this is what she suggested for my skin. I told her my neck area is tanner than my face so I want to be even. She gave me 3.0. I'm really excited to try this out tomorrow. She put some on me in the store and I liked it but will put it to the test tomorrow. Interesting though because she gave me a shade lighter than I expected. I'm NC40 in Studio fix powder+foundation. I've also tried studio sculpt in NC40. I'm not sure how those compare. I hadn't been match since I first started using mac 10 years ago. Maybe I've gotten lighter in skin tone ;)

Audrey C

Interesting though because she gave me a shade lighter than I expected. I'm NC40 in Studio fix powder+foundation. I've also tried studio sculpt in NC40. I'm not sure how those compare. I hadn't been match since I first started using mac 10 years ago. Maybe I've gotten lighter in skin tone
winks.gif
I'm lighter in MM than in most foundations. My face is darker than my neck and chest due to sun damage (at least on the cheekbones, chin, etc. where sun hits. Jawline back near my ears, still lighter. I have a lot of trouble being matched for foundations because MUAs are very fond of matching my darker areas and then I look like an oompa loompa shortly thereafter.

It took lots of trial and error and a Lisa Eldridge video for me to figure out that yes, I really should be matching the lighter skin areas. NC20-25 might look too light to a MUA if she just applies it to my chin, but not once it's on my full face. So I no longer listen to them when they tell me I need the darker colour. I don't. The MUA who sold me MM is the only one who urged me to go lighter, not darker.

I have four foundations on the go; Clinique Redness Solution (03), Studio Moisture Tint (Medium) - I usually Frankenfoundation a mix from those two, F&B C2 and MM 1.5. I've been wearing F&B all week although I don't like it in the summer because it just doesn't last on me in the heat. I haven't tried MM since last winter, but I'll have to test it with my new Beauty Blender. Maybe that will sheer it out just a bit. As Liba said, it's a more formal finish. It lasts on me but I generally like a less 'foundation like' finish. I'm working through a Guerlain tester of Lingerie de Peau in Beige Clair now; I absolutely adore the finish but the colour isn't quite right. Maybe it's a titch too dark or too cool, but something is off.

I've given up on the notion of HG foundation. At best, I find a solution that works for the season (which affects my colouring and the amount of oil I produce). I think my summer foundations are about to go into the fridge and the others come out.

Audrey C

I tried MM again today with my beauty blender. The blender really does improve the application, but I'm finding MM just ok.

I had to do a second thin layer over my cheeks to better cover my natural redness. I think Clinique's Redness Solutions is a better fuller coverage choice for me; it does a better job of evening out my skin without being apparent. It's not a perfect colour match either because I need to warm it up just a titch, but finding a perfect shade that has just the right coverage and finish is elusive. So I mix shades together.

I won't repurchase this product. I'll try it again a couple of times and unless I like it more I'll BTM it. I have to be ruthless about taking up space for products I won't use.