MAC Nudes & Metallics Collection (April 2013) Pro Store Only

butterflyeyes

I've ordered Deep Fixation from evilBay! :cheer:
Hopefully you got a pretty decent price. I'm thinking about being nice and listing my bu's of at least the metallic shadows in my clearance bin. I keep thinking long and hard about it though...have to make sure it's not a choice I'm going to regret lol. The nudes are definitely a lot harder for me to part with since I used those a lot

MACerette

Hopefully you got a pretty decent price. I'm thinking about being nice and listing my bu's of at least the metallic shadows in my clearance bin. I keep thinking long and hard about it though...have to make sure it's not a choice I'm going to regret lol. The nudes are definitely a lot harder for me to part with since I used those a lot
If you have thought about it long and hard I might take brazenly off your hands, you know, to relieve you form your burden
sneaky.gif

MRV

Yes, definitely. Mac is so much more expensive here that the price was only a few Euros more than the normal price (their shipping was very decent, too). I also ordered Just a Bite.

butterflyeyes

Yes, definitely. Mac is so much more expensive here that the price was only a few Euros more than the normal price (their shipping was very decent, too). I also ordered Just a Bite.
That's great. Not everyone charges ridiculous prices on eBay but I think the ones that do manage to give it a bad rep...although technically they can't sell something expensive if no one was willing to buy it so I'm not mad at the sellers lol.

MRV

Just got Deep Fixation in the mail!
cheerleader.gif
I think I'm going to try a look with it, Barefaced and Subverted tomorrow. Any suggestions (for other items)?

butterflyeyes

Just got Deep Fixation in the mail! :cheer: I think I'm going to try a look with it, Barefaced and Subverted tomorrow. Any suggestions (for other items)?
Suggestions as in what to get? Everything! Yeah...I love this collection just that much lol. Hope you love DF!

MRV

Suggestions as in what to get? Everything! Yeah...I love this collection just that much lol. Hope you love DF!
I mean suggestions what other items I could use with Deep Fixation on the eye. I guess other parts are already covered.
amuse.gif

I will get some, if I can! Thanks, I will report back.

BuickMackane

I mean suggestions what other items I could use with Deep Fixation on the eye. I guess other parts are already covered.
amuse.gif

I'd let Subverted be the star of the show. It's a very striking colour. Love it!
heart.gif

I'd go with a very neutral, preferably matte or satin, shade on the lid/browbone (something along the lines of Brule) and use DF along the upper and lower lashlines only. Perhaps subtly define the crease too, with something like Moleskin.

MRV

I'd let Subverted be the star of the show. It's a very striking colour. Love it!
heart.gif

I'd go with a very neutral, preferably matte or satin, shade on the lid/browbone (something along the lines of Brule) and use DF along the upper and lower lashlines only. Perhaps subtly define the crease too, with something like Moleskin.
Thanks, Buick! I will try something like this. I def need to define the crease, otherwise I'll look really odd with light lids and no crease. (With my eyes the traditional from light to dark - either up-down or sideways - works the best). I don't have Moleskin though, maybe UD Naked or some other mid brown.

BTW - do you use a liner with Subverted? I need to get some darker liners in the brown family.

BuickMackane

Thanks, Buick! I will try something like this. I def need to define the crease, otherwise I'll look really odd with light lids and no crease. (With my eyes the traditional from light to dark - either up-down or sideways - works the best). I don't have Moleskin though, maybe UD Naked or some other mid brown.

BTW - do you use a liner with Subverted? I need to get some darker liners in the brown family.
I hardly ever go for light lids unless I apply a darker colour along the lashline and smudge it out. I can't do the light shadow + black liner look, for instance. It just doesn't look right on me.

I think the liner I used with Subverted was NYX Rose Brown, which actually isn't all that dark. The only other dark brown I have is Just My Type but I found it too dark and cool-toned to be a good match for Subverted. So Rose Brown it had to be!

Mac-Guy

Moleskin is such a workhorse for me. If I want a natural contour, Moleskin is my go-to shade.

MRV

Moleskin is such a workhorse for me. If I want a natural contour, Moleskin is my go-to shade.
I did not get Moleskin because I had just bought the Naked 1 and thought that I won't need many similar shades. Also, I think it might work better on you as you're NW unlike me.

liba

amuse.gif

Deep Fixation looks GREAT with these lips like Riri Nude and Exclusive Event - just a little black pencil liner in the lash or waterlines and you're set!

KrystalAnne

Deep Fixation looks GREAT with these lips like Riri Nude and Exclusive Event - just a little black pencil liner in the lash or waterlines and you're set!
I agree, I wore EE with Amber Rush L'oreal Infallible eyeshadow on the inner lid and Deep Fixation on the outer v and it was very pretty together!

MRV

Quote:
Unfortunately I did not get Nude, and I have not seen EE here yet, so I'm testing Lured to Love & Center of Attention on cheeks and just Razzledazzler on lips with DF today.

liba

I hardly ever go for light lids unless I apply a darker colour along the lashline and smudge it out. I can't do the light shadow + black liner look, for instance. It just doesn't look right on me.

I think the liner I used with Subverted was NYX Rose Brown, which actually isn't all that dark. The only other dark brown I have is Just My Type but I found it too dark and cool-toned to be a good match for Subverted. So Rose Brown it had to be!
Nightmoth + Subverted = try it!!!!! Sounds counterintuitive, but it's great. Honestly, I don't use liner with any of these much, since their texture is so light, even though the color and frost appears dense. If you want something closer to a perfect match, there's Bittersweet Pro Longwear lip pencil. Actually, quite a few of the PLWs would be good underneath or just to line - stuff like Morning Coffee, Staunchly Stylish or even Absolutely It, since they've got lots of brown in them for MLBB type colors. Honestly, I don't think it's always the best choice to use a lip liner as dark as a really dark lipstick - it often looks nicer to use something something in between the lipstick color and your skin or lip color, to act as a soft transitional edge. You'll still get the effect of a nice sharp edge, without a pasted-on clown lips effect. You can use colors like these underneath or afterwards, right on top, around the edges, then blended in (I learned this trick from my MAU friends and at this point, I use it even more than lining underneath.)

Also, as far as the light lid + black liner look, I keep trying to find ways to make it work for me. Using a color just a very tiny bit darker than my skin tone in the crease above the light color is imperative. Also, it usually looks better if I've primed my lids really well, so they're as smooth as possible. Using a light color that's a little sheerer helps too. Finally, I usually have to switch to a finer liner brush, since I don't have a ton of lid real estate, or use liquid liner rather than gel - then, I need to do a liner shape that makes my eyes more rounded than my usual application, which leans almond shaped. Basically all these steps are to make my lids and eyes as "young" looking as possible, since this is a look that is definitely for a youthful look and style. I've practiced this sooooo much, since I like this type of look, but need to find a good balance so it doesn't look like I'm trying too hard.

KrystalAnne

I was just about to get Dominate on a restock but it was stolen out of my cart
weeping.gif
I probably wouldn't have worn it much anyway..

BuickMackane

Nightmoth + Subverted = try it!!!!! Sounds counterintuitive, but it's great. Honestly, I don't use liner with any of these much, since their texture is so light, even though the color and frost appears dense. If you want something closer to a perfect match, there's Bittersweet Pro Longwear lip pencil. Actually, quite a few of the PLWs would be good underneath or just to line - stuff like Morning Coffee, Staunchly Stylish or even Absolutely It, since they've got lots of brown in them for MLBB type colors. Honestly, I don't think it's always the best choice to use a lip liner as dark as a really dark lipstick - it often looks nicer to use something something in between the lipstick color and your skin or lip color, to act as a soft transitional edge. You'll still get the effect of a nice sharp edge, without a pasted-on clown lips effect. You can use colors like these underneath or afterwards, right on top, around the edges, then blended in (I learned this trick from my MAU friends and at this point, I use it even more than lining underneath.)

Also, as far as the light lid + black liner look, I keep trying to find ways to make it work for me. Using a color just a very tiny bit darker than my skin tone in the crease above the light color is imperative. Also, it usually looks better if I've primed my lids really well, so they're as smooth as possible. Using a light color that's a little sheerer helps too. Finally, I usually have to switch to a finer liner brush, since I don't have a ton of lid real estate, or use liquid liner rather than gel - then, I need to do a liner shape that makes my eyes more rounded than my usual application, which leans almond shaped. Basically all these steps are to make my lids and eyes as "young" looking as possible, since this is a look that is definitely for a youthful look and style. I've practiced this sooooo much, since I like this type of look, but need to find a good balance so it doesn't look like I'm trying too hard.
Oooh, I definitely will! Thank you for the suggestion
bouquet.gif

I always wear liner because I can't apply lipstick without it. My lips have no pigmentation to speak of, so I need an outline to make sure I have a well-defined shape. I smudge the line with a cotton bud so that it doesn't look too harsh, particularly when I'm wearing sheer(ish) and/or lighter colours. I will look into those PLW pencils you mentioned. Fashion Boost was my first one, and I really like the texture. It reminds me a bit of UD pencils.

The problem I have with the light lid + black liner look is that I find the contrast too harsh on me. That, and I can't get the lines to be symmetrical
whistle.gif
. It's not much of a problem when I smudge the line but the asymmetry's blatantly obvious when I'm trying to create a clean line. I've pretty much given up on gels or liquids so I just make a tiny line with UD Perversion pencil, and go over it with a matte black shadow using Hakuhodo G521 or G522. That way I find that I have a lot more control over how thick I want the line to be and how far I want it to extend. I haven't touched my other liner brushes since I got those babies. They're absolutely wonderful.

liba

Oooh, I definitely will! Thank you for the suggestion
bouquet.gif

I always wear liner because I can't apply lipstick without it. My lips have no pigmentation to speak of, so I need an outline to make sure I have a well-defined shape. I smudge the line with a cotton bud so that it doesn't look too harsh, particularly when I'm wearing sheer(ish) and/or lighter colours. I will look into those PLW pencils you mentioned. Fashion Boost was my first one, and I really like the texture. It reminds me a bit of UD pencils.

The problem I have with the light lid + black liner look is that I find the contrast too harsh on me. That, and I can't get the lines to be symmetrical
whistle.gif
. It's not much of a problem when I smudge the line but the asymmetry's blatantly obvious when I'm trying to create a clean line. I've pretty much given up on gels or liquids so I just make a tiny line with UD Perversion pencil, and go over it with a matte black shadow using Hakuhodo G521 or G522. That way I find that I have a lot more control over how thick I want the line to be and how far I want it to extend. I haven't touched my other liner brushes since I got those babies. They're absolutely wonderful.
The contrast is a tough sell on me too with the light lid/black liner - that's why I have to go for sheerer shadows…Captivating and the light color in Past Midnight from Divine Night are really good; also a lot of the lighter EDES - Zestful in particular!

The line symmetry is always tricky, because let's face it - most peoples eyes themselves aren't perfectly symmetrical. I've spent a lot of down time just practicing and studying the shape of my eyes to find all the key points I need to hit if I want the lines to come out right. If you've got the mid-point, highest point, end point down pat, it's so much easier to get a good look each time. I'm just one of those people that when I get something in my mind to accomplish, I will struggle with it for as long as it takes and then one day, it just falls into place and makes sense. It's taken me years to get any kind of liner that wasn't pencil figured out, lol. Wasted quite a lot of perfectly good f/l and liquid liner that way, hehe.

Absolutely It PLW is one of my main MLBB lip pencils - it does add a touch of brown into most things, though. I wish they'd do a color just like Dervish in PLW, because that is the most perfect match out there for my lips.