MAC Pro Longwear (PLW Nourishing Waterproof Foundation) (May 7)

patentg33k

Hi all--I've been playing with this foundation for the last week or so. The link is on my blawg (link in my signature). For convenience, here are some of my random thoughts here. As with all foundations, your mileage may vary. I've found that two people can use the very same foundation, but their skin type, application, etc. can come to very different results.

• The coverage goes from light to full very quickly. When applied directly to the face, it’s important to do this in layers. Then wait a minute before you apply another layer. Trust me on this one. It’s really easy to over-apply, in which case the foundation begins to really highlight pores and look super-artificial. Unless you are going for that look, proceed slowly.
  • Once you are happy with a semi-light coverage, go back in and add product only where you need it. The formula gives you a good minute or more to play with it before it dries, and can be layered even later in the day if you like.
  • Use very little at a time. One drop really can cover the entire face.
  • The color designations seem to be lighter in my range compared to MAC’s standard range. I am typically NC15/20, so I purchased NC20 after swatching a few colors at a store. After wearing the shade, I thought that the match was fine for a pale look, but the NC25 looked more natural on me especially when worn with a bronzer for summer wear (I ended up purchasing both). By comparison, NC20 looked a little harsh, although technically I might have considered it an acceptable match in a sheerer formula. Who knows, maybe my own ghost-pale skin is just scary. Anyway, don't be afraid to go to a deeper shade if you want to. It's only makeup.
  • Because of its propensity for high-coverage with a satin finish, I recommend using some type of light Chanel Les Beiges or Guerlain Joli Tient bronzer to warm up the skin and add some life.
  • I had trouble mixing this foundation with a more conventional formulas from other lines.For ex., a mix of this and NARS tinted moisturizer seemed to separate on my face when I went into a hot, humid environment. If you are going to mix colors to get your shade, I’d experiment in the comfort of your own home first.
  • MAC Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof really does hold up well in hot, humid weather. My glowy dew (aka sweat), beaded up on my face without removing any foundation. If you are in a hot, humid climate, this one is worth checking out.
  • This foundation looked best on me with a primer (I used Tom Ford’s). It gave it a bit of “cushion” to make the MAC formula sit more lightly on the skin and was a bit more forgiving.
  • I suspect that those with dry skin will want to moisturize well before using this formula.Every bump, pore, flake and tiny line will show if you apply this heavily. For lighter coverage, it seems to be more forgiving.

Monsy

Quote: Originally Posted by patentg33k
  • I suspect that those with dry skin will want to moisturize well before using this formula.Every bump, pore, flake and tiny line will show if you apply this heavily. For lighter coverage, it seems to be more forgiving.

001_unsure.gif

i wonder how would it work with mineralize timecheck lotion underneath it ?

khhmakeup

I actually have combination dry skin and have no problem with my regular moisturizer. No extra prep was needed! I use Lightful C right now and don't have to use a hydrating base or primer underneath.

I'm so impressed by the waterproof-ness of this! I wore it to the gym as my foundation and concealer this last week and it didn't budge!

patentg33k

please do that would be awesome
Hey there--the foundation works well over Timecheck primer. I wore this combination for about 9 hours today so far. TC essentially smooths skin to minimize pores, so it gives a nice surface for this foundation. A MAC SA had told me that this was true, and I can confirm it having worn it myself.

TC primer is not as moisturizing as Tom Ford's. Those with oilier skin (or who get a glowy forehead mid-morning) might find TF's primer to be too heavy.

Now for a little experiment-- toward the end of the day I added Tom Ford primer over everything (TC primer, foundation, bronzer the works). Add TF primer over foundation gives a little extra glow and moisture to the texture of the skin. I had a MUA do this once during a TF makeover and loved it, so I thought I'd try this today. Bu that's a little extra something something and not necessary.

ahoythere

@ patentg33k, thank you so much for your really in depth review of this, and for answering so many questions!

Monsy

Hey there--the foundation works well over Timecheck primer. I wore this combination for about 9 hours today so far. TC essentially smooths skin to minimize pores, so it gives a nice surface for this foundation. A MAC SA had told me that this was true, and I can confirm it having worn it myself.
now i want both
pompom.gif

Monsy

LOL well this is one foundation that I'd try first at a counter, @Monsy! :) The color match is tricky. I think our skintone shades are close, but not identical.
with mac 99% of time nc20 works great for me!
i have studio sculpt, studio fix, prolongwear, mineralize... all of them in nc20
for me mac is the easiest to buy without trying

I think you and me we wear a lot of the same colors - chanel beige 10/20, nars deuville, armani 4 etc...

Monsy

Have you tried Burberry's Pure Radiance primer? It's really nourishing and worked great under the foundation! It also gives it that extra oomph to the skin when it can sometimes look too matte.
Yes I have it.
It';s just ok. Doesn't nourish me at all but does give very nice glow.

When it comes to hydrating primers I LOVE LOVE Lancome hydra glow, nars illuminating primer (amazing!), smashbox hydrating primer, mac moisture infusion

would love to try mac radiance primer too

patentg33k

with mac 99% of time nc20 works great for me!
i have studio sculpt, studio fix, prolongwear, mineralize... all of them in nc20
for me mac is the easiest to buy without trying

I think you and me we wear a lot of the same colors - chanel beige 10/20, nars deuville, armani 4 etc...
I think that MAC PL Nourishing still looks a bit drier than many of the other foundations out there. Maybe that's why I like adding the TF primer over it. So if you can make it to a counter, you can check to see whether you like the texture of this one in that way. For example, I tried Chanel Les Beiges N10 over the Mac PLW Nourishing, it gives a nice sheen and looks really moisturized. Alone, the MAC looks okay but a little on the drier side.

highheels

I think that MAC PL Nourishing still looks a bit drier than many of the other foundations out there. Maybe that's why I like adding the TF primer over it.  So if you can make it to a counter, you can check to see whether you like the texture of this one in that way.  For example, I tried Chanel Les Beiges N10 over the Mac PLW Nourishing, it gives a nice sheen and looks really moisturized. Alone, the MAC looks okay but a little on the drier side.
Agreed. I've been testing out a sample and I just cannot seem to make it look good, even using the tiniest amount for my whole face, and with having really moisturized skin. It looks ok on initial application, but after about an hour, really cakey, dry, pooling in my pores. I tried Timecheck underneath once, that did not help either. Once I had to wash it off at lunch b/c my skin looked straight up embarrassing, as though it was my first time applying foundation, ever! I was hoping it was just user error but unfortunately I don't think this formula is for me (I have very difficult,sensitive skin, rosacea etc.) Those with better skin to begin with may have more luck.

CoralBlast

How does the brush compare to the 136? The shape looks the same to me.
I actually went to check it out myself :eyelove: the 136 so i am hoping they bring it back. The 135 seemed a bit wider with more hair than 136, plus i think its more fluffy not sure because it looked like it had a rough day.do they wash clean these brushes? because all of them looked very heavily used and i was very horrified when the MA used 126 to apply on her face freshen up from the display. I was grossed out she didnt sanitize anything and there was three of us swatching :shock:

RayannaBanana

I took the chance and ordered this in NW15 and it matched me very well. I thought I was going to have to add white to it since I always have to with the Pro Longwear concealer in NW15.

MRV

I got a sample in NC25 and I have worn it twice. First a thin layer over my moisturisers and the second time a thicker one over moisturisers and some tinted primer I've been using. Colourwise it's ok (have been using mostly NC20), it looked fine, but the second time in the evening my skin looked and felt wrinkly and dry. :( This is not dewy as MUFE HD or Mac F&B plus MSFN. Not sure at all if this would work for me in the winter time. My skin is so dry that I'm using oils and serums all the time.