MAC - Rodarte Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneDollarBuddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by monter
I was actually wondering if this had anything to do with what's going on in Juarez because of the n/l name - is Rodarte as a designer really inspired by that situation? Because.. yeah, if so, that is a little tacky.
ssad.gif

Googling brought this up Rodarte - Designer Fashion Label

So, if that is to be believed.. it has nothing to do with Juarez.

InspiredBlue

Rodarte is the Mulleavy's, i.e. the designers behind Rodarte, mother's maiden name. Since it is a Portugese last name that is common in northern Mexico (source) I am guessing the references have to do with their mothers heritage.

liba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Goat Etc.
It's got a real Southwestern theme!
I think it would be alot better suited for a Slyvia Ji collection.

Wow, thanks for the gorgeous imagery - never heard of Sylvia Ji before now! So cool!

How much do you want to bet that the promo pictures for MAC - Rodarte totally steal her look?
busted.gif

Hypathya

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindiaz
^ ^ Juarez is my hometown,I'm going to have to buy a lot from this collection
th_DANCE.gif

Hi sweetie!!!
wavey.gif
Long time no see
ssad.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordom
I'm intrigued by some of the color descriptions, but I think this will be a big pass for me.

I just find the notion of fashion -- and now cosmetics -- "inspired" by the very real, horrible and tragic violence against women in Juarez, Mexico to be too squicky. I suspect it would bother me every time I used the products.
th_dunno.gif

And I really don't need to spend more on more collections this fall!
yes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by monter
I was actually wondering if this had anything to do with what's going on in Juarez because of the n/l name - is Rodarte as a designer really inspired by that situation? Because.. yeah, if so, that is a little tacky.
ssad.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDollarBuddha
Googling brought this up Rodarte - Designer Fashion Label

So, if that is to be believed.. it has nothing to do with Juarez.

The link doesn't say the Rodarte designers were not inspired by the US-Mexico border. Only tells a bit of the story of the designers behind the Rodarte label.

There's a lot more going on at US-Mexico border than drugs and violence. I don't think the designers were precisely inspired by the violence in Juarez, but by the colors and culture brought up with the clash of both American and Mexican culture.

Being in Mexico, I feel thankful the violent situation in Juarez it's not being unnoticed. but moreover, after the constant news and headlines in newspapers, I'm thankful to be able to remember myself the great things this country has to offer. So I'll think about the colors, textures, flavors, sights and awesome culture there is, when I grab and wear my Rodarte MAC goodies!!

liba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungelly87
what i want so far! Both lipglasses and the blush and also Badlands pigment. I want the Rodarte l/g just b/c it's named "Rodarte"...sorta obsessed with this line, got two things from the Rodarte for Target collection
smiles.gif

That Rodarte for Target collection was badass! I went hog-wild and bought a bunch of pieces from it
smiles.gif

LMD84

i'm looking forward to this collection. the lip products sound really nice
smiles.gif
i'm not into the mes though - seriously mac we have had enough!

white gold is an awesome pigment by the way
smiles.gif
slightly chunky but super pretty
smiles.gif

laylalovesmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
i'm looking forward to this collection. the lip products sound really nice
smiles.gif
i'm not into the mes though - seriously mac we have had enough!

white gold is an awesome pigment by the way
smiles.gif
slightly chunky but super pretty
smiles.gif

White Gold is drawing me in.... maybe I will get it instead of Bordertown.... I love the black-based MES, but this just sounds patriotic to me- I have never really liked the color combo, anyway...
th_dunno.gif

OneDollarBuddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypathya
Hi sweetie!!!
wavey.gif
Long time no see
ssad.gif

The link doesn't say the Rodarte designers were not inspired by the US-Mexico border. Only tells a bit of the story of the designers behind the Rodarte label.

There's a lot more going on at US-Mexico border than drugs and violence. I don't think the designers were precisely inspired by the violence in Juarez, but by the colors and culture brought up with the clash of both American and Mexican culture.

Being in Mexico, I feel thankful the violent situation in Juarez it's not being unnoticed. but moreover, after the constant news and headlines in newspapers, I'm thankful to be able to remember myself the great things this country has to offer. So I'll think about the colors, textures, flavors, sights and awesome culture there is, when I grab and wear my Rodarte MAC goodies!!

The blurb I linked said what InspiredBlue said, that they named it after their mothers maiden name. It's in the 'label overview' if you scroll down.

LMD84

when i get home i shall try and rememberto swatch white gold for you guys. over a dark base it looks awesome too!

laylalovesmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
when i get home i shall try and rememberto swatch white gold for you guys. over a dark base it looks awesome too!

That's what I like to hear! Dark base
yahoo.gif
It is definitely mine now! Would love to see swatches when you get a chance!

annikay

I'm interested to see the Beauty Powder (and the 3 coming with VV, I'm gonna be in BP heaven)!
tong.gif
I love my Summer Rose and Blush of Youth...

Kirsty

Total skip. This collection looks really boring to me.

Although I am intrigued by the Ghost Town l/s.

Purrple

I wonder if there'll be special packaging (or, more likely, only special box packaging), since this is a designer collection. It all sounds so nice, but when I look closer, I'm only interested in the Beauty Powder minus 'the soft gold pearl'. I already said it, but it seems like everything they make has soft gold pearl nowadays.

sinergy

cant wait to see promo pics and color swatches, there are a few pierces that are catching my interest..and c'mon who doesnt want a blush named Quinceneara?? =)

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylalovesmac
That's what I like to hear! Dark base
yahoo.gif
It is definitely mine now! Would love to see swatches when you get a chance!

i usually use delft paint pot as my dark base for this. so will certaintly have a play for you when i get home
smiles.gif

kayley123

My VERY preliminary wishlist:

Mineralize Eye Shadow

Bordertown- black with red, pale blue, and silver veining (frost)
Sleepwalker- beige with copper, pale blue and pale pink veining (frost)

Beauty Powder
Softly Drifting- pale neutral white-ish pink with soft gold pearl

I'm a little disappointed at more MES...but these sound interesting!

Ooh I may have to skip the BPs from VV...this BP sounds a bit like Lightscapade to me!

Susanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaminbird
I never heard of Rodarte.....dont even know what/who it is!

Yep. I agree.

There are so many fall collections and I want a lot from Venomous Villains, Viva Glam, Nail Trend and Fabulous Felines - I think I might pass this one and save money for the holiday collection!
yes.gif

Meisje

From Wikipedia:

Rodarte is a brand of clothing and accessories founded by Kate and Laura Mulleavy. The Mulleavy sisters are U.C. Berkeley graduates from Pasadena, California, and have received a number of industry awards since the line's inception in 2005.[1][2] The sisters have also collaborated with Gap, and most recently Target, on limited edition pieces. Their style includes gothic and distressed designs, and layered gowns with fabrics dyed by Edwina Pellikka.

After their initial collection of just 10 pieces, the Mulleavys appeared on the cover of Women's Wear Daily and had a meeting with US Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour.[2] The company also had the early support of retailers Bergdorf Goodman, Barneys, Neiman Marcus, and Nordstrom.
Rodarte has been seen on many celebrities including Tilda Swinton, Emma Watson, Chloë Sevigny, Cate Blanchett[3], Keira Knightley[4], and Dita von Teese.[5] At the 81st Academy Awards both Reese Witherspoon and Natalie Portman were dressed in Rodarte. Another celebrity fan and friend, is actress Kirsten Dunst, who accompanied them to the CFDA Awards in 2009. Another friend, fan, and model is Joanna Newsom, who is often seen wearing their designs. She has previously modeled for them, and been an interviewer of the two young women. [6][7]

On April 23, 2009, Michelle Obama wore Rodarte while hosting Queen Rania of Jordan in the Oval Office.[8]

A limited edition Rodarte for Target line as a part of GO International was released in stores and online December 20, 2009.[9] Tavi Gevinson, 13-year-old style blogger, is the spokesperson for this new line.

Their website:
Rodarte

Status
Not open for further replies.