MAC - Shop Shop Shop / Cook Cook Cook discussion

Miss Dynamite

I ended up passing this completely, but now I keep thinking about Watch Me Simmer...only problem is bright colors look bad on me, I'm used to wearing light pinks, purples, corals and nudes on my lips but bright eyeshadows. Is there a way to make Watch Me Simmer look a lot less bright?

liba

Any suggestions on what lip liner to wear with Runaway Red from this collection? I own MAC Cherry liner but I assume it may be too light. How about MAC Redd or Brick liners?

What liner do you wear with your Runaway Red?
Nightmoth is what I use, but I try to keep it mostly on the edges and then just lightly blend it into the rest of the lip, rather than applying it to the whole lip, since I want to avoid the warmer cast as much as possible. I also really like RR without any lip liner, for a little bit undone style, especially when it was the end of the summer and I had a tan.

drammy04

YAY ME! I walked into Bloomies in Soho and they actually had Watch Me Simmer! I love it! It's definitely different on me than Toxic Tale. A lot warmer I believe!

Prettypackages

Great explanation. I'm going to get two of this new batch b/c like you, it is my holy grail red and it would be nice to have a lighter application of it, and I want to see how the pink in my lips will adjust to it.

Has anyone compared the KLC of this bactch to the old batch?
liba [URL="http://www.specktra.net/t/178194/mac-shop-shop-shop-cook-cook-cook-discussion/2280#post_2203595 said:
go_quote.gif
[/URL]

I sort of avoided stepping into this Runaway Red situation until I could take a peek for myself, as I backed mine up when it first came out and didn't feel the need for more backups immediately when this collection came out.

Here's what I suspect is going on with this. The reason Runaway Red originally was so deep and still bright is it's probably using some of the higher tier red pigment in the base that is substantially more expensive than the usual reds that get used - probably Crimson Lake. MAC does this every now and then when they want to feature an exceptional color. Sure, the cost per unit for it goes up, but since they save a few pennies on other colors, for them it all evens out plus they get a standout color that gives them a lot of publicity on the runway and in editorial.

I think what's happened here is that MAC figured out a way to use a smaller amount of the same pigment in a larger amount of lipstick base - hence why the newer batch has a bit lighter texture - the original one feels much heavier on application and the newer one benefits from an extra swipe. It's possible they further extended the $$$ pigment with some other pigments, but if they did this, it was probably pretty minimal, although it runs the risk of getting more of an off color in production, if the giant vats of the stuff aren't blending quite the same at the top of the run than by the end of the run.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the new batch of RR has its advantages over the older batch - I think the formula adjustment makes it easier to apply less if you prefer, rather than being locked into a heavy coat. I didn't encounter a serious difference on my lips in the color itself, just the color density (which then in turn can obviously affect the color as it interacts with the natural lip color.) If you were using lip pencil, especially, I don't think there's anything to be concerned with and even though I really don't need another BU of RR as it stands, I might actually get one now, since it's an HG red for me and the lighter texture is quite welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasperadastra;1857309"] That teal blue is really a sight to behold. Sometimes that shade detracts from my green eyes, but not this one! The grey is a really nice shade too, which perfectly harmonizes with the blue for a beautiful smokey eye. Also, I thought the highlight color would be too yellow for me, but it was perfect and didn't look harsh at all. Even the bright yellow is cute, but I didn't use it in the look when I had my makeup done. Still waiting for photos from my MA!

Nightmoth is what I use, but I try to keep it mostly on the edges and then just lightly blend it into the rest of the lip, rather than applying it to the whole lip, since I want to avoid the warmer cast as much as possible. I also really like RR without any lip liner, for a little bit undone style, especially when it was the end of the summer and I had a tan.

katred

Specktra Bestie

Right you are. I love Play Time. Even though I have many purples, that one is a really special shade. It's a very spring-like purple, I think, cool and soft. I'm sure that they'll reissue it at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later.

FStone

I have been wearing WMS around the house, trying to feel a bit more glamorous! I have been drinking some G&T's for several hours and have literally NO transfer onto the glass. No liner, and no l/g - literally just the lippie and NO transfer. This excites me so much! All the lippies this year that I have picked up have been AMAZING - I don't know what MAC is doing in their formulations but I really hope they don't change it up anytime soon! I am heading down to the states tmr (live in Canada) and am going to have a look at Runaway Red and also VG Nicki! Can't wait!!!

duckrodeo

Thank you all so, so much for your feedback on my QS look
heart.gif
pompom.gif
you're all very kind and this is such a welcoming place!
grouphug2.gif

I sort of avoided stepping into this Runaway Red situation until I could take a peek for myself, as I backed mine up when it first came out and didn't feel the need for more backups immediately when this collection came out.

Here's what I suspect is going on with this. The reason Runaway Red originally was so deep and still bright is it's probably using some of the higher tier red pigment in the base that is substantially more expensive than the usual reds that get used - probably Crimson Lake. MAC does this every now and then when they want to feature an exceptional color. Sure, the cost per unit for it goes up, but since they save a few pennies on other colors, for them it all evens out plus they get a standout color that gives them a lot of publicity on the runway and in editorial.

I think what's happened here is that MAC figured out a way to use a smaller amount of the same pigment in a larger amount of lipstick base - hence why the newer batch has a bit lighter texture - the original one feels much heavier on application and the newer one benefits from an extra swipe. It's possible they further extended the $$$ pigment with some other pigments, but if they did this, it was probably pretty minimal, although it runs the risk of getting more of an off color in production, if the giant vats of the stuff aren't blending quite the same at the top of the run than by the end of the run.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the new batch of RR has its advantages over the older batch - I think the formula adjustment makes it easier to apply less if you prefer, rather than being locked into a heavy coat. I didn't encounter a serious difference on my lips in the color itself, just the color density (which then in turn can obviously affect the color as it interacts with the natural lip color.) If you were using lip pencil, especially, I don't think there's anything to be concerned with and even though I really don't need another BU of RR as it stands, I might actually get one now, since it's an HG red for me and the lighter texture is quite welcome.
Ahh that's a good explanation. Thank you so much Liba for your thoughtful and informative responses! They're always so much fun for me to read!
That's definitely a good theory on the production and pigments used - the color is still there, but yes I did notice that my two newer RR's are a bit on the sheer side, which is very welcoming to me as well.

singer82

Right you are. I love Play Time. Even though I have many purples, that one is a really special shade. It's a very spring-like purple, I think, cool and soft. I'm sure that they'll reissue it at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later.
It is my favortie lipstick. If it gets repromoted I'll be buying multiple backups.
eyelove.gif

duckrodeo

hehe thanks dear
heart.gif
but errmm, given the recent addition of Scarlet Ibis to my collection, the verdict on how I feel about this shade is stillllll pending, lol. Then of course, I was wearing the Color Added quad on my eyes today, so that could have added (ha) to the overall thought process of, "OMG, what am I wearing?" Yep, there are some colors I should just not stick on my face, lol

Tonight I've been "window shopping" at MAC online to see what crazy items will wander into my shopping bag. I will keep them there while I ponder. Until they sell out, I decide I don't want them, or maybe I'll check them out in store. Tonight "Wholesome" fluidline has wandered into my bag....HMMM, to buy or not to buy....

rockin

Loving Watch Me Simmer - it's definitely pink on me, and very creamy. I have to rub my lips together every now and then, though, to stop it collecting in the lines of my lips. Dish It Up looks great on me, too. Quick Sizzle arrived today, too, but I haven't tried that one on yet.

berryjuicy

I haven't swatched my Runaway Red yet, but I pulled it out last night and at a glance, it looks more like the darker lippy on the far right
hmm.gif

I plan to wear it this weekend. I hope it looks good on me. I have yet to find a red that I like for my skin tone. When I was 16-17, my friends and I all wore the same shade of red lipstick on an almost daily basis! We were all different skin tones and we really thought we looked good! Looking back at those pictures...what were we thinking?
blink.gif

I got my package tonight with my two extra Runaway Reds (batch AA1) - they're on the left and the middle.....on the right is my MAC Me Over Runaway Red (batch B41)

In the tube, they do look different. The S3/C3 versions look like an orange rusty red.
When they're swatched, I don't see a discernible difference in the colors. They all three have the same hue and fuschia sheen on my skin. I'm a lefty, and I swatched the lipsticks with my right hand, so the pressure and swipes varied with each lipstick I put on my arm lol, but you can tell they have the same base color and sheen.

It's rather odd that they would look so different, and that they are showing up as different depending on which surface they are swatched on. In my case, I am going to hold on to my back-ups because the colors are relatively the same on me.

aradhana

i have the same memory except with revlon's toast of new york, and blackberry lipsticks....they seemed to be ubiquitous...

ahoythere

I went to London Selfridges today and dropped some SERIOUS COIN on this collection! I bought:
All 3 quads
All 3 Blushcremes (or cremeblends, whatever they are called now)
Added Goodness
Watch Me SImmer
Dish It Up
Quick Sizzle ( I got the last one!!!)

Here are my thoughts so far (for my lovely Euro ladies who haven't seen this in person yet!)........

-Quick Sizzle: Yes it looks nearly the same as Pink Pigeon when swatched on my wrist, but on the lips it is totally different! I can't believe I almost passed on this! The color is richer and deeper (as many have said), and it lacks some of the brightness from the white that Pink Pigeon has. In my opinion they are totally different, and for me QS is a total win! Want BUs!!!!

-Watch Me Simmer: Again, WIN. I was worried it was going to turn me into a Miami Grandma but it has just the right balance of orange, pink, coral, and white for my skintone (nw15-20, N1). It is much better on me than Vegas Volt which is just a tiny bit too orange.

-Shop & Drop Quad: AWESOME. I had been worrying that Power Boosted was going to be too similar to Leisuretime or other magenta frosts but its blue duochrome is magnificent! I love Hypnotizing so I am happy for a BU, such a perfect mauvey taupe. The dark Navy is a handy color to have around since I swapped away my Carbon a while back. Sugar Snack seems useless but perhaps will be a good crease transition color, or perhaps it will get removed and replaced with something more useful. (3 outta 4 is fine with me for quads these days.)

-Colour Added Quad: I am interested to see what I do with these 4 colors.......if I just use what is in the palette it could go really wrong or something magical could happen. I do love the highlight color though, and although the yellow isn't super pigmented on me it has a beautiful sheen. The teal is grand and the dark grey is actually nice and subtle (I found that this color performed MUCH better when using a proper 239 vs any of the special edition brushes, FYI) and will be good for creating depth without getting too much in the way.

-Call Me Bubbles: I haven't messed with this one yet because I might return it. I am loving the colors in it but there is no way that I could make it work without at least another 2 shadows from elsewhere (and a GRIP of black eyeliner to keep me from going rabid). I think if I keep it I might take out the matte coral and stick Mulch in there or something (and use the coral as a blush). It will be spectacular on blue eyed ladies, but for pale hazel brunettes it will require some work I think.

Haven't tried the blushes yet by I have very high hopes for Florida and Restores Dazzle (best name ever). Optimistic Orange sows some seeds of fear in me but I think that with a touch of Florida could end up being the best coral/peach of all times.

HOPE THAT HELPS! I will post some swatches in the next few days, but if anyone wants pics of anything compared let me know!

ahoythere

Also, Scandelicous was all pink on me, no red whatsoever! A really pretty color but not the RED based fuchsia I was hoping for.

Ashleybubbles83

i have a backup of Runaway Red coming but i think it might be one of the obvious different ones that people have been getting...seems like Dubonnet would be the closest dupe if i'm trying to backup the MMO Runaway Red...

agree??

Alisha1

I love Quick Sizzle! I have nothing like it in my collection as I usually don't wear bright colours but this one just looks great! Also the formula is brilliant - super creamy!
heart.gif

LMD84

today i wore watch me simmer and absolutely loved it! it's the perfect coral for me and very flattering against my pale skin - not too orangey but not too pink either. the only downer is that i found it slightly drying throughout the day - but that just gave me an excuse to wear my tendertones!

Alisha1

today i wore watch me simmer and absolutely loved it! it's the perfect coral for me and very flattering against my pale skin - not too orangey but not too pink either. the only downer is that i found it slightly drying throughout the day - but that just gave me an excuse to wear my tendertones!

^I wore Hush, Hush on top of WMS and it looked pretty :) it is slightly drying though!

ahoythere

I don't know how to keep Specktra from turning my pics sideways!!! Anyway, from bottom to top (L-R) are:
MAC Party Parrot, MAC Coral Polyp, 17 (UK DS brand) Hot Flash, MAC Watch Me Simmer

BTW, any ladies in the UK: The Drugstore brand "17" has a GREAT line up of bright lippies, def worth checking out! I feel like their Mega Shine line is great for layering on top of all these bright MAC mattes (or shining them up during the day when they start to get dry).