MAC Year of the Snake Collection Discussion (February 2013)

erine1881

Aargh! I am dithering! I thought i wanted Shell Pearl after seeing swatches from times past. I was sure i didn't want Flatter Me or Cream Soda (from Archie's Girls). Now i am torn again! I have 15-20 neutral coloring, so i can wear slightly warm or slight cool colors well, and i have a personal preference for very violet tones. Among my relatively recent collection of blushes / highlighters i have: Pearlmatte Face Powder - Flower Fantasy Mineralize Skinfinish - Redhead Mineralize Skinfinish - Semi Precious Rose Quartz Mineralize Skinfinish - Light Year Mineralize Blush - Solar Ray NARS Blush - Deep Throat NARS Blush - Luster So i'm concerned about redundancy. I wear Redhead and Deep Throat the most, Luster and Light Year next, the others less often. Would Shell Pearl or Flatter Me or Cream Soda really provide something i'm missing? Or would any be close to what i already have?
Shell pearl is like all the redhead stripes mixed into one colour. I'm obsessed with redhead and shell pearl. Shell pearl is a must for us jellies!

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by erine1881
Shell pearl is like all the redhead stripes mixed into one colour. I'm obsessed with redhead and shell pearl. Shell pearl is a must for us jellies!

Thank you. Good to know. I love Redhead. Well, SP is sitting in my MAC cart. I hope it's there tomorrow and i'll get it. (gotta run to rehearsal in a couple minutes)

Violasphere

Is anyone else finding this collection a better formula when it comes to the lipsticks or is just me?(more moisturizing etc.) compared to the non limited edition ones? I remember trying freckletone on a while back and it was sorta dry and didn't glide on my lips but the YOTS one is amazing! Maybe the one I tried on at the MAC counter had just been there a while or something

Audrey C

My Shell Pearl snake has already shed most of its scales.
cry.gif
(The good news is that I love it - unfortunately using it regularly and maintaining the embossing are mutually exclusive).

KiKi Kontour

Sorry to hear you're not liking SP! To answer your question, unfortunately MAC stores can't take returns from online orders. Products ordered online have to be returned through the mail. It would certainly be easier to gift it to your sister, but if you want a few dollars back, then send it back. Or sell/swap it on this site. I love MAC, but they do make returns difficult sometimes...
thats why i prefer to go to the counters! only thing i order off line is the lipsticks cuz i can easily give those away!!

dmn it im wondering if i shouldve grabbed freckletone too dmn it...i love the way plumful feels!! (still didnt get around to cockney yet) and they sold out-ugh!!

martiangurll

I have a confession. I am actually contemplating getting Carbon with the snake scales b/c they are so cute. This would mean I would give up any future rights to complain when they repromote it in a palette though, right?

kimbunney

I think someone mentioned this earlier but Altered State is a little hard to work with but once its built its beautiful!

This was my first time getting Carbon period and I actually love it. It's not my blackest black but I love it for that when I don't want my black too intense it's perfect. I been using it like crazy. also loving its full size because it will last ages.

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by martiangurll
I have a confession. I am actually contemplating getting Carbon with the snake scales b/c they are so cute. This would mean I would give up any future rights to complain when they repromote it in a palette though, right?

rofl.gif
snerk
th_roll1.gif

martiangurll

I think someone mentioned this earlier but Altered State is a little hard to work with but once its built its beautiful!

This was my first time getting Carbon period and I actually love it. It's not my blackest black but I love it for that when I don't want my black too intense it's perfect. I been using it like crazy. also loving its full size because it will last ages.
I tried using AS today and it was a bit chalky...I turned it over to confirm it was a "Veluxe Pearl" finish because it was coming off like a chalky azz matte or velvet. The color is gorgeous though, like Noir Plum from Peacocky but without the metallic finish. It could be my technique, I was trying not to swish over the snake pattern. Carbon really is a useful black. I keep telling myself I am not going to get the one with the snake print.

BTW, I love the box design on these. I am keeping one on my vanity just to stare at the artwork on it.

erine1881

I tried using AS today and it was a bit chalky...I turned it over to confirm it was a "Veluxe Pearl" finish because it was coming off like a chalky azz matte or velvet.  The color is gorgeous though, like Noir Plum from Peacocky but without the metallic finish.  It could be my technique, I was trying not to swish over the snake pattern.  Carbon really is a useful black.  I keep telling myself I am not going to get the one with the snake print.  BTW, I love the box design on these.  I am keeping one on my vanity just to stare at the artwork on it.
That's cuz it really isn't a VP.

Audrey C

Not only can you no longer complain, you're contractually obligated to DEFEND MAC's use of Carbon since it's such a fabulous colour that you bought a standalone supersized version.
yes.gif

martiangurll

Wells, I just tried Once Upon a Time and I love this e/s! I used it on the lid all over with a little Outre to blend it out and Brown Script in the crease. This e/s is going to get a lot of use. I guess I skipped Aztec Brick, I thought I ordered it but it wasn't in the black box. I used a different brush and got Altered State to work a lot better. Maybe there was some sort of hardness on the outside from the pressing of the snake print on it or my brush was crappy. It isn't the easiest shadow in the world to blend, but it does blend and was not as chalky as I originally thought. So, two thumbs up on those e/s. Both of the colors are gorgeous and have the just right amount of shimmer without the eyelid looks like a fishscale look.
thmbup.gif
thmbup.gif

Pinkdollface

I got Aztec Brick and love it for the crease! It definitely makes my blue eyes pop. I don't always have that with orange/coppery eyeshadows, but I think I know now how to do it. I just need to use them in the crease with a darker matte brown to deepen it and a neutral (Naked Lunch) shade on the lid. When I use these type of shades on the lids it can be too much and make my eyes look red, but in the crease at least Aztec Brick doesn't do that.

bluelitzer

Shell Pearl was shown as sold out this morning to my disappointment because I was hoping it would last til March so I can grab a BU. Then I check to see what they are going for on ebay and it's frustrating seeing evilbayers selling them for those prices. I checked the other MAC websites in different countries to see if it's sold out there too and some of them were, but then I came back to the US site it's available again. Grrr..
wacko.gif
So weird I picked up a backup thinking it's cheaper getting it $24 +free shipping per unit than having skipper's remorse and come to the point of desperation where you're willing to shell out $45 on ebay for one.

ladyarwen

The only product I've had trouble with from this collection is Altered State. It's just not meant to be a base shadow for the lid. It took me several stabby strokes into the pan to get any color onto the brush, and I kept having to do that over and over. Under the eyes or in the creases seems to be the only good way to use it.