Makeup We Once Wore...

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachkitten
I wore a dual ended eye pencil from Maybelline everyday in high school. One side was matte light blue and the other side was a frosted light blue. I would wear it by itself as a liner everyday. No other eye shadow or anything. I wish I could go back to my former self and throw that liner away!!

I also loved Revlon's Stree Wear line. They had some great stuff. I also loved Cover Girl's crackle nail polish.

I keep thinking about CG's crackle polish! I remember seeing it in the stores when I was in.. 7th or 8th grade? (Maybe high school...can't quite remember.) It came out around Hallowe'en one year and I thought it was the coolest thing. I think it was the one thing I regret never trying.

Rita Baumann

You were cool in the 80's if you wore wet and wild crayon colors, used blue mascara, and applied your blush in the contour area. lol. I had everything wet 'n wild. My mom had to "make" me go to the department store to get my foundation. Back then, we thought department store makeup was for "old" people. Looking back, my mom was cool - she never forbid me from wearing makeup - she only wanted me to care for my skin.

InspiredBlue

I remember some of my first makeup being from a drugstore brand called Constance Carrol. One of the first things was a clear mascara. Only problem is I had, and still have, blond almost invisible eyelashes, so it really didn't do anything.
smiles.gif

My mom got me a Clinique powder compact, but I used so much of it that I ran out in like a month. After 2 or 3 of those I realized I needed to familiarize myself with actual foundation, instead of wearing tons of powder.

And I used the L'Oreal Quick Stick foundation when stick foundation was the big thing. I actually really liked that concept, so I went looking for something similar a few years ago and the only company that still makes a stick foundation is apparently MAC, and I hate to say it, but I really liked the L'Oreal one a lot more.

RedRibbon

Constance Carroll (sp?) was a big one and to this day I still use their pencils as they give me a really straight line on the water line (that's not what it's called but I can't remember the right word at the mo).

I remember I used to get through so much Lipcote, I'd be buying a new bottle about once every 2 weeks and it was during the phase of really dark lipliner and gloss so it's not like I even looked decent.

Then at my school there was the gunmetal eyeshadow phase which everyone went through
th_dunno.gif
I think I got some cheapo shadow from an own brand company and used that, thinking I was the shit.

Blue eyeshadow by Rimmel was also a big thing, if you didn't have that in your pencil case, you were nobody.

dollypink

In the UK, it was all about Boots 17 & Rimmel when I was a youngster! Or occasionally covergirl when they'd give away a mascara with Just Seventeen magazine or something.

Fairybelle

Revlon lipsticks in Toast of New York or Blackberry, Naturistics makeup (Natural Glow Makeup)-- since it appeared to be 'natural' during that first 'eco' craze, Maybelline Great Lash Mascara (honestly, I just liked the color of the tube), and Revlon Colorstay Makeup (yuck!).

RedRibbon

How could I forget that one lipstick every girl had, HEATHER SHIMMER!

I wonder if Rimmel are ever going to bring it back, I still have my original empty container for it.

Shypo

I'm going to go back even farther (OMG, the 70's!!!!!):

Max Factor Pure Magic line

Max Factor also had another line that was for younger women - I think the name of the line was 'Maxi'

Aziza

L'Oreal shadows that had a fingertip applicator sponge thingie - very weird

Merle Norman (I'm from the South - yes, it's still around today, but where I grew up this was the place to go)

The ORIGINAL Herbal Essence shampoo (I still have one bottle left - the smell is amazing)

Nestle Wave Set

InspiredBlue

One of the most interesting things with this thread is that we represent so many different age groups - some of us started wearing makeup in the 70's, some in the 80's and some in the 90's. It's fun to see what was "in" during all these little points in time.

Also: realizing that I've been wearing makeup for 10+ years makes me feel old. In my head I'm still 17.
kissy.gif

kathyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_c
In high school I used to wear this really dark lipstick from Wet n Wild. Actually, all the girls did
lol.gif

Was it called Razzle Dazzle? It was a dark, purple-plum, but kind of sheer if you applied it with a light hand. I think I may have a tube around somewhere, for nostalgia.

Does anyone remember Maybelline's Shine Free line? Not just the foundation, but the tiny tubes of lipstick and tiny bottles of nail polish? And Baby Lash? That was the best, softest mascara ever.

Shadowy Lady

I wore very dark (almost goth) makeup throughout high school. I use to wear this Anabelle kohl liner and smudge it and put black e/s on top. I still use the Anabelle pencil btw and I think the black e/s was also from Anabelle. I wore Cover Girl Mascara and no blush. I didn't get into wearing a blush until I was 19, lol! Oh, and I also had the Max Factor stick foundation...I used it mostly as concealer though.

For my lips I used to keep them bare or if I was going out I wore this dark lipstick which I think was from WnW. I don't know why I was sooo into anything dark back then, even my clothes were mostly black :/ I'm a lot more diverse now, lol!

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachkitten
I wore a dual ended eye pencil from Maybelline everyday in high school. One side was matte light blue and the other side was a frosted light blue. I would wear it by itself as a liner everyday. No other eye shadow or anything. I wish I could go back to my former self and throw that liner away!!

I also loved Revlon's Stree Wear line. They had some great stuff. I also loved Cover Girl's crackle nail polish.

I loved Revlon's Street Wear line! The dual-ended liners were awesome!

jmgjwd

i loved the Maybelline 'shine free' line!! They also had an amazing eyeshadow base in a burgundy and white tube (still have it) that blows away UDPP!! I also remember they had a mascara that had a dial on the bottom that you'd turn to control the amount of mascara on the brush (and no, their mascaras didn't work that well even back then...sorry to those who like them!)..yikes, just realized i've been wearing makeup almost 30 yrs!! It's amazing that the drugstore brands still have the same products they sold when I was a kid!

I also loved that Revlon used to make round refill single eyeshadows that would fit in a black pallete with a white plastic lift up tray to hold 3 shadows..one color (starry night taupe, I think) that was beautiful!

EdenBunny

When I started wearing makeup I used Rimmel mascara and kajal pencil (a ton of it!), Maybelline and L'oreal nail lavender polish, a cheap foundation way too dark for me
ssad.gif
and pink Labello lip balm!
Seems like it was a long time ago but this was only 6 years ago...

FiestyFemme

Oh man I loved Revlon Streetwear! I had the nail polishes, dual-ended pencils, lipsticks, you name it. My fave were 2 of the lipsticks though, as I actually used them up... one was a purple color, called Jelly IIRC, and the other was a blue-ish purple. Makes me cringe now to think I wore these, but I thought I was cool back then!
tong.gif

I also wore some bright colored L'oreal e/s. Before they re-formulated to the chalky mess they have now, their shadows were soft and pigmented. One in particular that I loved was YELLOW... I'd pile that crap on all day, and I didn't wear liner or mascara. *dies*

MACForME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairybelle
Revlon lipsticks in Toast of New York or Blackberry, Naturistics makeup (Natural Glow Makeup)-- since it appeared to be 'natural' during that first 'eco' craze, Maybelline Great Lash Mascara (honestly, I just liked the color of the tube), and Revlon Colorstay Makeup (yuck!).

oh-my-god!!

Do i remember Toast of New York.. EVERYONE had to have that! WOW! L'Oreal had a pink duochrome-y color, Seashell I think? but everyone wore THAT too..

I remember Street Wear! LOL!!

How about those massive palettes from Ultima II?

anyone got a bottle of STIF STUFF hairspray laying around???

going to Merle Norman in the Mall was a big deal when i was in High School (ok folks, I graduated in '87)

mood lipstick was always orange on me for some reason..

Black Kajal eyeliner and some ugly purple blush from Wet N Wild..

Here is the challenge of the century.. who remembers those liner pencils, they were red, about 6 inches in length and you had to warm them up with a match or lighter before you could actually USE them.. How many of you didn't wait long enough and ended up with slight burn and a blob of liner on your eye..(yeah, i did that)

chocolategoddes

Well, high school wasn't too long ago, but I has so many lipsmackers in almost every flavor! I also had those cheapo makeup kits with the chalkiest eyeshadows and the roughest pencils, but I thought they were the shit.

FiestyFemme

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACForME
Here is the challenge of the century.. who remembers those liner pencils, they were red, about 6 inches in length and you had to warm them up with a match or lighter before you could actually USE them.. How many of you didn't wait long enough and ended up with slight burn and a blob of liner on your eye..(yeah, i did that)

Weren't those by Maybelline?

Flaminbird

I had to have Kissing Potion when I was like 11 and it came in all these great flavors. Coca Cola was my favorite. We're talking about the early 80's and late 70's with that.
greengrin.gif
As I got older I used Aziza too and I remember this one look was turquoise, pink and yellow in there add and in the outer corner the colors were in three slants. I did that look all the time
greengrin.gif

this is what I had but it's not the original

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/verm...id=250&hei=335

And something similar

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1360/...pgv=1200975779

euphrosyne_rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACForME
Hi Everyone..

We were talking about this at work recently.. Some of us brought up some makeup that we wore in junior high or high school, or brands long discontinued, but at the time, we thought so cool..

I can't remember the name, but there are a few things that come to mind...

1- There was a brand, drugstore of course, that sold round pans that you could mix and match, they made one color called Tiger Lily, it was a bright orange, and i loved it..

2- I think it was Aziza that made it, but it was one shadow, in a rectangular shaped compact, it looked like it was 3 different colors, broken up and mashed together, the idea, if i remember was with one swipe, you got lid, crease and highlight all at once.. The brownish one had white particles, blue and brown.. it almost reminds me of mica...

3- I loved Haalsa and Ginza shampoos.. does anyone remember those?

4- Good old Max Factor PanCake Makeup in a stick! Whoa!! Thats a long time ago!

5- Those big fat bright Bonne' Bell lipbalms, lip balms that came in the small tins with the sliding lids..and of course, the ever favorite, ever sticky came in a glass roll on.. Kissing Potion!

What do you remember?

OMG, I remember the Haalsa shampoos. My mom and I used the Haalsa Highlights for dark hair and it smelled SO SO SO good. I also remember she used the chamomile one on my sisters b/c they had lighter hair. Wow, that was a trip back!! I wish they still made that!