Makeup We Once Wore...

L1LMAMAJ

some cheap almay quad that had 3 or 4 colors. i kept them in my backpack so i could retouch at school. it literally took me 2 seconds to put on my makeup in the morning cuz i would just swipe and swipe and be done. okay maybe like 4 seconds cuz i did my eyeliner too. i used some drug store loreal eyeliner i believe that would smudge and run. keep in mind i didn't know what a primer or base was.

MACForME

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarriet
it was the 80's and KISSING POTION was king! i loved that stuff. had it in so many flavors. and now that i think back, it was such a dumb product...it was this goo like lip gloss that you rolled on to your lips (packaging was a mini version of a deodorant roll-on) and it was in glass packaging (which is not the safest for kids)...but i LUUUUVED kissing potion!

lol
smiles.gif

great thread!

LOL.. that stuff always got so sticky and if you left it in your purse, the cap collected every micro speck of dust, dirt, whatever.. YUCK..

LOL! Rubiglo! Right!

I remember the silly jokes about "Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific" shampoos..

LMD84

man... this is such a fun thred!

when i was about 13 me and my friends would go to 'bob and pats' in town which was a hardware store that sold make up (randomly!) and we bought lots of Clarion stuff! and constance clarrol. the best was this bright yellow lipstick that i bought for £1 that went bright pink on my lips - like girl about town bright!

for eyeshadow i had a compact in the shape of a sea shell that my mum bought me from argos. my fave shades to wear were a dark brown on my outer lid and a bright green on the inner lid!

i'd wear avons concealer stick all over my face as foundation. and use talc powder to set it!!! i cringe just thinking about it!

i also stole the black face paint stick from my brothers face paint kit so that i could do black eyes - all over the lid and under i used this bloody face paint on!

then when i got to the age of about 15-16 i went up in the world and got into maybelline! i think sarah michelle gellar was the face of them at the time which i why i bought maybelline everything! my fave item was a lip pencil in the colour mocha that you could use as a lip colour and liner in 1! and i still have one in my make up drawer! as well as a foundation, powder and concealer in 1 chubby stick thing. they also brought out the cream eyeshadows that had a cooling sensation when you put them on! and of course the roller ball ones which were a horrible shimmery mess!

as far as lips went it was dark brown all the way! i had a maybelline one in a thin tube (a bit like a mattene tube) that was a very dark brown with hint of purple! i had a l'oreal one in a gold tube that was the colour of milk chocolate!

i also loved lipsmackers and my faves were a marshmellow one and grape one!

oh and of course i owned rimmels heather shimmer and coffee shimmer lipsticks!

from the boots 17 range i bought a lipstick in bon bon which they still make now and a gloss called in the nude - also still made now!

xsnowwhite

i used to wear glow in the dark glitter wet n wild lipstick...and orange omg why! And in middle school i seriously had no idea wtf i was doing so I would cake on the palest powder to cover my acne..I didnt even use concealor just powder in the lightest shade omg thinking about this seriously makes me embarassed!!

MK09

In the 80s my sister was a teenager in high school but i was only 6 or 7 but i can clearly remember always stealing her "Cherry" Kissing Potion Roll On lol

Kissing_Potion_3529_390x191.jpg

Flaminbird

My fave of kissing potion was the coke flavor. I remember the e/s the OP talked about but I cant remember if it was Aziza or not. ANyone remember the nailpolish that was like a pen with a paint brush at the end?

minni4bebe

omg, when I was 13 I wore dark brown eyeshadow all the way to my brows which were SUPER bushy. Then I would wear dark dark brown frosty wet & wild lipstick. Then I graduated to white eyeliner on the top lid only and black lipliner with clear gloss. LOl, omg what was I thinking?

Oh and i would put on foundation, not wash my face and the next morning just put on more. same with mascara...NASTY!

MK09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaminbird
ANyone remember the nailpolish that was like a pen with a paint brush at the end?

I thought they were new? lol Ive only just started seeing them in the stores.Nicole by OPI i think does nail polish pens.Thats funny i though it was a completely new idea lol

hello_kitty

I used Jane makeup... some of which I still have in a box somewhere... from 1996 *eek*

I only used eyeliner and mascara back then, and usually some horrible shade of lipstick. Yikes. That girl back then would've never predicted me becoming a makeup addict!!

MACa6325xi

In junior high school I always kept one of those huge bubble gum flavor Bonnie Bell Lip Smackers. In high school I always wore Clinique Blue Jade eyeliner with Fig blush and Black Honey lip gloss.

vesperholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarriet
it was the 80's and KISSING POTION was king! i loved that stuff. had it in so many flavors. and now that i think back, it was such a dumb product...it was this goo like lip gloss that you rolled on to your lips (packaging was a mini version of a deodorant roll-on) and it was in glass packaging (which is not the safest for kids)...but i LUUUUVED kissing potion!

.... HOLY CRAP. I googled this and after seeing the photo, I totally remember this stuff!!! This is big, because I never remember anything!!
lol.gif
Oh god, that little gold top, and the logo ... I can smell the sticky candy scent now. I had strawberry.

I'm trying to think of what I had in my Caboodle ... I had several matte mauvey Body Shop lipsticks, very 90s color. I actually still have one. Bless my mother for taking me to Clinique when I was 12 or 13, so I didn't have too much experience with total crap makeup. One vivid memory is using those green Cover Girl powder compacts. I wasn't that much into makeup, but enough so a reference to me putting on my foundation showed up in the yearbook editor's letter my senior year. I used to do my makeup before my 1st period AP english lit class in the yearbook office. Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjmsj
When I was in JR High, I used to wear those Maybelline Rollerball shadows

I definitely had those Maybelline rollerball shadows too, but I'm so moldy old that I wore them in college! I think I only threw mine out last year ...

Pink_Puddleduck

My local boots had urban decay when I was about 14, so that’s a good 9 years ago now – eek! During the 15-17 phase I saved up and constantly wore their lip pleather in Ashyxia – Hot bright bluely pink and a greeny blue super bright and frosty eye shadow. I also had the heather Shimmer rimmel lipstick – yum yum yum! I also would buy the brightest colours from stargazer and pile them on!

MK09

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_kitty
I used Jane makeup... some of which I still have in a box somewhere... from 1996 *eek*

I only used eyeliner and mascara back then, and usually some horrible shade of lipstick. Yikes. That girl back then would've never predicted me becoming a makeup addict!!

Haha thats funny lol I remember when JANE first came out.Wow im old
shockt.gif

hello_kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK09
Haha thats funny lol I remember when JANE first came out.Wow im old
shockt.gif

Haha, I remember, too! I also remember when the display at stores would have all sorts of pamphlets on how to apply makeup, and I would gather all of them up. I was maybe 10 or 11... I thought Jane looked so cool and young, LOL.

I was surprised when I saw some at Walgreens a year or so ago, I had no idea that brand was still around. They did have some nice stuff back in the day. I should dig out my old, ancient eyeliner pencils and see if they're still any good. I had a really nice shimmery pink one that I could probably put to use!

MK09

Quote:
Haha, I remember, too! I also remember when the display at stores would have all sorts of pamphlets on how to apply makeup, and I would gather all of them up. I was maybe 10 or 11... I thought Jane looked so cool and young, LOL.

I was surprised when I saw some at Walgreens a year or so ago, I had no idea that brand was still around. They did have some nice stuff back in the day. I should dig out my old, ancient eyeliner pencils and see if they're still any good. I had a really nice shimmery pink one that I could probably put to use!

I think jane.'s selling point back then was nothing over $3.00 lol

Does anyone remember i think between 1997 and 1998 Cover Girl sold a Minty Green And Blue Lipsticks.They were sheer.I think the green may have been called mint jubilee or something like that.Anyone remember those? lol There was a month when those came out that those were my look, minty green sheer lipstick lol Thank god it was only a month long faze! But during that month i loved it i thought it looked hot lmao

hello_kitty

I remember that mint green stuff! I never had any, but I remember ads and seeing it in stores.

Which jogs my memory about how I use to wear silver lipstick *lowers head in shame*

And yep, Jane was all like $2.97 back then. Why I remember that, I have no idea. Amazing what useless stuff one can remember, haha!

MK09

Quote:
I remember that mint green stuff! I never had any, but I remember ads and seeing it in stores.

Which jogs my memory about how I use to wear silver lipstick *lowers head in shame*

And yep, Jane was all like $2.97 back then. Why I remember that, I have no idea. Amazing what useless stuff one can remember, haha!

I bow my head in shame aswell lol I didnt do silver which is odd because i did probably ever other color.During my very experimental lip look month,the same minty green month.My lips were shades of mint green, smurf blue and opague white.Im laughing so hard right now just thinking of what i must have looked like.Thank god there are no blackmail photos of me looking like that lmao.

Oh but my worst makeup crime was a look which i wore for almost the whole end of the 90s,the dark lipliner,pale lips combo! I was never without my brownie colored lip liner and my pink CoverGirl LipSlick.Laugh, but you know alot of you rocked that look too lol In my defense though,my lip liner wasn't as severely obvious as most that wore the look.I did fade my liner into my lip plus my lipslick was more glossy.Where alot of girls wearing the look would at the time skip the lippies,just pale there lips with concealer and outline there lips with dark brown or black.I thought it was my "sexy lip look" lol What was i thinking! Very "Kim Mathers" ahhhh! lol Oh well you live you learn.

I still like the covergirl LipSlick though
200.jpg

Mine was so much better lol But you remember the l look haha
Lipliner+is+a+do.jpg

nursie

i was a teen in the mid 80's, so i remember having:

all maybelline shine free stuff. my mom was cheap when it came to my makeup, so i'd have to wait for it to show up in the big lots store, so by then their 'shocking blue' mascara was all dried out (but i'd make it work!)

definately had the rollerball lip gloss gunk stuff. it kept drying out my lips, but i'd slick it on anyway.

bonne bell giant sized lip smacker in strawberry. the cap would come off in my purse and lint and hair would cover the end. of course i'd wipe it off with a tissue and use that sucker again.

aziza non pigmented eyeshadow pallettes.

i remember never having any eyeshadow brushes. i'd always use the little spongy applicators that came with eyeshadows. (i never use them now)

blue eyeshadow...all the time until i was 19. i never wear blue now.

and perfume. it all came from the drugstore. i had one that had a glass bird on top of it. and le jardin (i still kinda like that one!)

MK09

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursie
and perfume. it all came from the drugstore. i had one that had a glass bird on top of it. and le jardin (i still kinda like that one!)

I was a teenager in the 90s and my favorite perfume was Calvin Klein's - "ck one" i still love that perfume.Whenever i smell somebody wearing it it instantly brings me back to that time lol But whenever i couldn't afford "ck one" i wore "Vanilla Fields" by coty i think? Anyway it was a cheapy but smelled nice.And i think they actually still sell it lol

Vanilla Fields
4743.jpg

tepa1974

My make up staples back then were Cover Girl "cover up", teal eye liner and either bright fuschia or dark burgundy lipsticks (all from WnW). Yuk!