Nars Spring 2011

shontay07108

[quote name="WhatWouldJoanDo" url="/forum/thread/169974/nars-spring-2011/180#post_2112066"] Have Calanque and Bateau Ivre: so glad I didn't miss grabbing these - so pretty.
[/quote] Bateau Ivre is my absolute favorite Nars duo! :love: I rave about it to everyone who will listen.

Ejka

Since I didn't have to opportunity to buy anything from the spring collection upon its release (ASOS stopped shipping outside the UK, HQ hair stopped carrying NARS and the shipping costs from narscosmetics.eu are beyond ridiculous), I didn't really follow the reviews, comparisons, swatches etc. I'd like to know how close are the green shades from Earth Angel and Nouveau Monde? I would love to hear any thoughts on which of the two (EAvsNM) is 'better' or nicer (is the taupe side of EA similar to that in Rajasthan)? I also keep going back and forth on Bateau Ivre - are the blues wearable enough (i.e. can they be toned down to make them work-appropriate) and nicely pigmented (in some swatches the darker shades appears a bit chalky and the lighter one seems really bright)?

WhatWouldJoanDo

Hi Ejka, The green in NM has a brown tone and fine gold sparkle. I love Bateau Ivre and pairing it with caramel neutrals. BI is great as a liner and beautiful on it's own. I can easily pull it off at work. Like most NARS shadows depending on how it's swatched it can look drastically different from how you wear it. Both shades look pretty sheer/light or built up for more intense. Also playing with the underlying 'base' colour can change the shades too. BI is unlike anything I have and the matte makes it work appropriate/sophisticated too.

Since I didn't have to opportunity to buy anything from the spring collection upon its release (ASOS stopped shipping outside the UK, HQ hair stopped carrying NARS and the shipping costs from narscosmetics.eu are beyond ridiculous), I didn't really follow the reviews, comparisons, swatches etc. I'd like to know how close are the green shades from Earth Angel and Nouveau Monde? I would love to hear any thoughts on which of the two (EAvsNM) is 'better' or nicer (is the taupe side of EA similar to that in Rajasthan)? I also keep going back and forth on Bateau Ivre - are the blues wearable enough (i.e. can they be toned down to make them work-appropriate) and nicely pigmented (in some swatches the darker shades appears a bit chalky and the lighter one seems really bright)?

MarieMary

Ejka, HQhair carries Nars. They stopped for a while, but it's back now. ;)

I wish I could help you comparing Earth Angel, Nouveau Monde and Rajasthan, but I only have Earth Angel. From what I can see in swatches, the green shade of Earth Angel is definitely greener than the one in Nouveau Monde (that leans towards brown). As for the taupe side, it's a slightly brownish taupe in Earth Angel, and more of a golden in Rajasthan.

I hope it helps. As for pigmentation and texture, Earth Angel is awesome, and so are Rajasthan and Nouveau Monde from what I've read.

Ejka

Thank you both so much for answering my questions and giving such great tips
winkiss.gif
!

Ejka, HQhair carries Nars. They stopped for a while, but it's back now. ;)

I wish I could help you comparing Earth Angel, Nouveau Monde and Rajasthan, but I only have Earth Angel. From what I can see in swatches, the green shade of Earth Angel is definitely greener than the one in Nouveau Monde (that leans towards brown). As for the taupe side, it's a slightly brownish taupe in Earth Angel, and more of a golden in Rajasthan.

I hope it helps. As for pigmentation and texture, Earth Angel is awesome, and so are Rajasthan and Nouveau Monde from what I've read.
Thank you MarieMary for making sure I know about HQhair. I got their email about stocking Nars (once again) and that was actually my reason for posting the questions - I consciously avoided swatches and discussions on the Spring collection beforehand, since there was little point in lemming the unattainable. Your post really helped me decide in favour of Earth Angel (vs NM). I definitely prefer green to greenish-brown and am currently a bit over anything lilac/purple. I love, love my Rajasthan and if the neutrals aren't too similar and the texture is equally superb, it's a winner in my book.

Now I officially have two more duos on my wl - luckily at least one of them is perm and can wait after my wallet recuperates from the damage the summer collections (everything from Chanel to Dior and probably even NARS on hqhair will be hitting European stores at the end of May) are going to cause
eeksign.gif

Rinstar

I'm trying to be done with this collection, but I keep wanting Calanque and Tgizane... and Beauty.com is having their 20% off sale... I could get Calanque for cheaper! Enablers, please?

Honey&LemonGirl

I say pass on Calanque. The palest shade takes up the majority of the space and it's the one with the bad texture (powdery fallout, not very smooth). That's a dealbreaker for me, considering the price. Tzigane is lovely though.

Rinstar

Thanks, I keep reading that about Calanque, so I really just need to skip it and stop thinking about it!! I think I may order Tgizane though.

WhatWouldJoanDo

Calanque:
I actually like the texture of the lightest colour. It looks great layered and as a sheer but not "solid" highlight. I like the way the colour beneath softens and looks varied. If you try to "colour by numbers" like use it to fill in then of course it will be a fall-out disaster. It's not typical opague paint like shadow is my take on it, but rather is a play on texture. I may be one of the few online bloggers that sees it this way. But I like a sheer colour sometimes and don't expect a defined way makeup should be - depend what want and how you want to use it, flexibility ....

Rinstar

Well, I ended up buying Calanque just now. It was one of those things I couldn't stop thinking about until I bought it!!!! I'll be excited to use it when it comes!