OCC lip tars

butterflyeyes

Yes. Settled in every line and gave me more lines than I ever knew I had. There was no getting away with it.
I would think your lips were pretty dry if that happened. What did you you use to prime them with? You lips have to be in really good shape and moisturized with these bad boys due to the high amount of pigment used (it'll zap the moisture out of a lot of people's lips easily). But yeah...the lighter colors can be less forgiving but that's usually the case with any lip product. Sometimes it helps if you mix a little bit of clear lip tar with whatever color is giving you trouble. Not enough to sheer it out (I used to do that to make lip glosses before they made stained glosses), but enough to add just a tiny bit of moisture to the mix.

shontay07108

I would think your lips were pretty dry if that happened. What did you you use to prime them with? You lips have to be in really good shape and moisturized with these bad boys due to the high amount of pigment used (it'll zap the moisture out of a lot of people's lips easily). But yeah...the lighter colors can be less forgiving but that's usually the case with any lip product. Sometimes it helps if you mix a little bit of clear lip tar with whatever color is giving you trouble. Not enough to sheer it out (I used to do that to make lip glosses before they made stained glosses), but enough to add just a tiny bit of moisture to the mix.
My lips were in good shape. I tried Mac P+P, Jack Black lip balm and even vaseline and it just looked terrible. No matte lipstick I ever tried did that to my lips. I think the color was just too garish for me anyway.

sss215

Yes. Settled in every line and gave me more lines than I ever knew I had. There was no getting away with it.
Same thing happened to me and my lips were moisturized, that's why I asked. I forget which color it was. I think it was in the cooler months too. Dry air can be extra drying no matter how much I moisturize my lips. These are off limits in Dec, Jan, and Feb.

MissTT

I have Jack Black. I'll make myself a sample of the Clear to see if it works any better. Thanks you two lip tar addicts!

brittbby

I just got back from Sephora and picked up Black Metal Dahlia... That color is everything! Completely obsessed with it

Baby1black

Something amazing has happened. I have found a lip tar that doesn't make my lips look like saran wrap. My local Sephora started carrying the entire line of lip tars and I chose Black Metal Dahlia because the swatch was so nice and it's perfect on me. I tried the bright pink that was a Sephora exclusive awhile back and it was terrible, but this one is perfect. I'm going to try Anita next. I'm thinking I need to stick to the darker colors.
Weird I had the same experience. My first occ was nylon, look was bad. My grandmas lips looked better than mine with nylon. Put me off occ until my belovedBMD came and I want to get Anita and the red one now.

MissTT

BMD is gorgeous. I also was really digging Batty, but I don't think I'd ever wear it. Plus, our store was no longer selling it and just left the tester out. Two people tried to buy it from me in the span of 5 minutes. LOL

butterflyeyes

My lips were in good shape. I tried Mac P+P, Jack Black lip balm and even vaseline and it just looked terrible. No matte lipstick I ever tried did that to my lips. I think the color was just too garish for me anyway.
Yeah Nylon is one of those colors that you have to really, really, REALLY be ready to rock lol. But you have to remember that lip tars have more pigment in them then typical lipsticks...even matte lipsticks so by nature they tend to be much more drying than any matte you may be accustomed to. So what may be "great shape" for your normal routine may be quickly zapped dry by the high concentrate of pigments in these. That's what I meant by your lips not being in great shape (not that you applied then with crust city lips to begin with lol).

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by Baby1black
I do not think I have seen them at my local sephora,Emeryville is the closest for me. I really just would have liked to go and grab BMD but can't since they say out of stock at that location so have to wait and buy online ,but have to add something to get free shipping which do not want to do now have to wait for the October mac collections first.

Hi, Baby1black. Emeryville is the closest to me, too. While the physical location is a good size, it carries fewer brands than other smaller sephoras i've been in, and often fewer products by a particular brands, as well.

lilinah

I like Sebastian, and i was surprised that on me is looks kinda pinkish and only a little lighter than my natural lip color, which is a bit bluish-pink.

I was sorta disappointed that it didn't look 'corpse-like' on me, but it's a color that works on me, maybe because i'm fairly light and my skin tone is Neutral.

lilinah

Metallic Black Dahlia is absolutely gorgeous. I've gotten complements from strangers when i've worn it, and i'm a fat old lady !

lilinah

My Lip Tar collection is quite small compared to some others here. But i'm happy with every color i have and there are very few others i want. In color order:

Triptych - True 24K Gold (Metallurgy)
Fragmented - Acid Green Gold-Laced Metallic = Frosted Lime Green (Fragmented Alice)
Power Plant - Metallic Emerald teal/green
Butch - Periwinkle blue
Sebastian - Plum-toned taupe (Moderncraft)
Belladonna - Ultra violet - actually red-violet with slight shimmer
Metallic Black Dahlia - Blackened burgandy with red pearl (Moderncraft)
Batty - pearlized true black (Sci-Fi Lullabies)

SInce i don't wear orange, or reds unless they're dark and/or blue-ish, or bright pink (i have enough muted pinks), and only rarely peach, most of the rest are not on my must-get list. There are a few more maybe, such as Iced and Tarred.

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by butterflyeyes
I slept on MUFE for so long and now it's become one of my faves. The only thing I owned by them for the longest was a purple shadow (#90 maybe? Can't recall right off but it's pretty popular although I didn't know it at the time. I just loved the color). Most of what I got from TMS Orlando this year was MUFE and I feel a big phone order with my backstage card coming up soon lol

Infamous #92. It's one of my all-time favorite shadows. Their matte shadows are excellent.
Oh, yeah. I've got that (Team Purple). INTENSE!

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by MissTT
BMD is gorgeous. I also was really digging Batty, but I don't think I'd ever wear it. Plus, our store was no longer selling it and just left the tester out. Two people tried to buy it from me in the span of 5 minutes. LOL

Batty is excellent for toning down a too bright lip color. I like that is has some shimmer.

novocainedreams

My Lip Tar collection is quite small compared to some others here. But i'm happy with every color i have and there are very few others i want. In color order:

Triptych - True 24K Gold (Metallurgy)
Fragmented - Acid Green Gold-Laced Metallic = Frosted Lime Green (Fragmented Alice)
Power Plant - Metallic Emerald teal/green
Butch - Periwinkle blue
Sebastian - Plum-toned taupe (Moderncraft)
Belladonna - Ultra violet - actually red-violet with slight shimmer
Metallic Black Dahlia - Blackened burgandy with red pearl (Moderncraft)
Batty - pearlized true black (Sci-Fi Lullabies)

SInce i don't wear orange, or reds unless they're dark and/or blue-ish, or bright pink (i have enough muted pinks), and only rarely peach, most of the rest are not on my must-get list. There are a few more maybe, such as Iced and Tarred.
Aaahhh sooo jealous you have Belladonna, don't know why they discontinued it. :-( I know mixing some rx and hoochie will produce a similar color but not quite the same, haha.

novocainedreams

Something amazing has happened. I have found a lip tar that doesn't make my lips look like saran wrap. My local Sephora started carrying the entire line of lip tars and I chose Black Metal Dahlia because the swatch was so nice and it's perfect on me. I tried the bright pink that was a Sephora exclusive awhile back and it was terrible, but this one is perfect. I'm going to try Anita next. I'm thinking I need to stick to the darker colors.
Perhaps it's the finish? Since BMD is a metallic, while Nylon is a matte, maybe your lips just do better with the metallic finish than the matte? Just an idea. I don't consider myself to have the best lips(quite dry a lot of the time) for some reason I have gotten the lip tars to work for me. I always slather on a ton of either Jack Black balm or aquaphor beforehand though, lol.

shontay07108

Perhaps it's the finish? Since BMD is a metallic, while Nylon is a matte, maybe your lips just do better with the metallic finish than the matte? Just an idea. I don't consider myself to have the best lips(quite dry a lot of the time) for some reason I have gotten the lip tars to work for me. I always slather on a ton of either Jack Black balm or aquaphor beforehand though, lol.
Yup. I believe I need to stay away from the matte ones. Might go out today and see if I can snag another one.

butterflyeyes

Yup. I believe I need to stay away from the matte ones. Might go out today and see if I can snag another one.
Anita is a gorgeous color but it's not a metallic so if you think the issue is solely the matte formulas then you won't be able to wear it either. The only other metallic from the Moderncraft collection is Role Play. I really think that the more neon or extra obnoxious colors tend to give people more trouble than others but I guess you'll only know by testing them out. I haven't done this but I know sephora is great with samples. I assume they are the same with samples of lip tars...will they give you multiple samples of various lip tars so you can see with ones give you granny lips and which ones don't? You honestly might not be able to test them all back to back like you want to (trust me...your lips may hate you for that lol) so if they let you take samples home that is perfect. But then again, I think Sephora might have one of the best return policies out there so if prefer buying so you won't have to worry about going back if you love it then that's good too.

Latest posts