Porcelain Beauties: Rants and Raves for foundations

Anaphora

Based on my recent foundation discovery (I'm actually closest to NW13) I'll start following this thread!

Anaphora

Have any of you ladies tried the Too Faced Born This Way foundation? I've heard a lot about it but I haven't really heard much about how light it goes. Does Porcelain work on any of you?
I got a sample in Vanilla, which is way too dark, but the formula is great! Doesn't emphasize my dry skin and seems to be lightly hydrating which is nice. Coverage is medium I'd say.

martiangurll

I know this thread is for porcelain foundation, not for SPF, but I agree with teh comment shellygrrl made about needing a sunscreen under foundation to get the right coverage, as foundation alone isn't going to provide adequate protection from the evil UV radiation from our sun. I have tried a primer from Cover FX that has SPF 25 and it is pretty good, but its primer properties are just okay--it isn't really extending my foundation life much. That being said, any SPF I can use under my foundation (NARS Siberia works in the Winter, I am using Deauville now, sheered out a bit) that doesn't make it run off or turn greasy is a plus.

Any recommendations for primer with adequate SPF to go under my foundation? I have combination skin, mainly oily in the Tzones but no real dry areas. I really prefer a semi-matte finish, and I am happy with NARS, it seems to be the only foundation in a good match that doesn't oxidize into oompa loompa territory on me. But, I know good SPF is a must, especially this time of year and at higher elevations (i am at 5280 feet, yo.)

Alternately, any good sunscreens with a nice matte finish?

I really prefer a good primer with SPF, I can do high end or low end.

If no such primer exists, I would love recommendations for foundations in the paler shade ranges (NARS Siberia or Deauville are light enough, so I don't need super pale) but for good long lasting foundation that has adequate SPF and doesn't oxidize like crazy?

shellygrrl

Staff member
Any recommendations for primer with adequate SPF to go under my foundation?  I have combination skin, mainly oily in the Tzones but no real dry areas.  I really prefer a semi-matte finish, and I am happy with NARS, it seems to be the only foundation in a good match that doesn't oxidize into oompa loompa territory on me.  But, I know good SPF is a must, especially this time of year and at higher elevations (i am at 5280 feet, yo.)   Alternately, any good sunscreens with a nice matte finish?   I really prefer a good primer with SPF, I can do high end or low end.
Neutrogena's Clear Face sets matte (SPF 30), for a sunscreen option. It would work in lieu of a traditional primer, IMO. Primer-wise, Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer has SPF 15 (more of a satiny finish, I think?). NARS has one with SPF 30 (Pro-Prime Multi-Protect); not sure about the finish. Ditto Laura Mercier (Protect; SPF 30) and Make Up For Ever (UV Prime; SPF 50). MAC Prep and Prime Lotion SPF 50 is another option (don't know about finish for this one, either).

LauraLara

I know this thread is for porcelain foundation, not for SPF, but I agree with teh comment shellygrrl made about needing a sunscreen under foundation to get the right coverage, as foundation alone isn't going to provide adequate protection from the evil UV radiation from our sun. I have tried a primer from Cover FX that has SPF 25 and it is pretty good, but its primer properties are just okay--it isn't really extending my foundation life much. That being said, any SPF I can use under my foundation (NARS Siberia works in the Winter, I am using Deauville now, sheered out a bit) that doesn't make it run off or turn greasy is a plus.

Any recommendations for primer with adequate SPF to go under my foundation? I have combination skin, mainly oily in the Tzones but no real dry areas. I really prefer a semi-matte finish, and I am happy with NARS, it seems to be the only foundation in a good match that doesn't oxidize into oompa loompa territory on me. But, I know good SPF is a must, especially this time of year and at higher elevations (i am at 5280 feet, yo.)

If no such primer exists, I would love recommendations for foundations in the paler shade ranges (NARS Siberia or Deauville are light enough, so I don't need super pale) but for good long lasting foundation that has adequate SPF and doesn't oxidize like crazy?
I use MD Solar Sciences Mineral Creme Broad Spectrum SPF 50 UVA/UVB from Sephora as a primer year-round. I reapply every 70-80 minutes if I'm going to be getting sun. It works so well as a primer I even wear it at night sometimes. I have somewhat dry skin so my usual nighttime primer is this Hourglass one that's RIDICULOUSLY moisturizing, but if I'm feeling oily I go with the MD mineral creme, because while it isn't drying at ALL, it doesn't worsen any oiliness either. I reapply OVER my foundation during the day by patting it on lightly all around my face with my fingers then massaging it in with tiny circles so blush/contour/foundation don't get out of place. It is pretty matte and velvety. If I want glowy skin I go with the hourglass.

And here's some doctor's advice: Anything SPF 30 or above is fine. After 30 you don't actually get a very high protection for each increase. I can't remember the exact numbers but it's something like SPF 90 protects like 2% better than SPF 30 or something like that. But that also means that anything LOWER than SPF 30 you're losing some real protection for each number decrease, so I wouldn't buy SPF 15 unless you're just trying not to burn or something as opposed to really protecting the skin. Although you might still burn, so I'm not sure what SPF 15 is for, maybe if you don't care THAT much or have darker skin? AND, make sure it always says "broad spectrum" and "UVA/UVB". Different types of UV rays do damage to different layers of skin. If you use a sunscreen that doesn't say that on the label, you're most likely getting one that will only protect against the visible sunburn, not against more deep tissue sun damage.

Finally, that MD creme I use lasts a LONG time. It's kind of pricey, but one 1.7 oz. tube lasts me a YEAR. I only use it on my face (and recently started using it on my chest above my cleavage where I seem to get a lot of sun). So that helps it last.

Anaphora

I know it's not marketed as a primer, but I like the Dr. Jart Dis-A-Pore BB Cream. It's probably on the darker end of fair, but my foundation applied with a beautyblender easily takes care of any color discrepancy there might be. It's SPF 30, provides a nice smooth base, a little extra coverage, and really does help if you have visible pores. I've been using a sample, but bought the full size today.

Also some people on Sephora complained about it being too white for them, so maybe it'll work!

martiangurll

I know it's not marketed as a primer, but I like the Dr. Jart Dis-A-Pore BB Cream. It's probably on the darker end of fair, but my foundation applied with a beautyblender easily takes care of any color discrepancy there might be. It's SPF 30, provides a nice smooth base, a little extra coverage, and really does help if you have visible pores. I've been using a sample, but bought the full size today.

Also some people on Sephora complained about it being too white for them, so maybe it'll work!
thanks, to all that replied, I will check out each of those (sorry multiquote didn't work for some reason)

pandorablack

My favorite SPF is Dermalogica Solar Defense Booster spf 50. You can add a few drops to your moisturizer or use it alone, under your primer. It's not greasy and won't clog your pores.

pandorablack

OMG I just went through the most awful exchange at Sephora. I finally decided to return my Kat Von D foundation as light 42 is too light and light 44 is too dark. But I was beyond the 90 day policy (that I didn't even know they had) and they didn't want to give me store credit (they had to ask a manager if they could do the exchange, then when the exchange had money back they had to ask if they could give me store credit). Oye.

So I finally get that squared away and I have a guy color match me with that electronic thingie. OMG. Do not do this!!! Their color matching thingie is bullshit. It told me I was MEDIUM 52 or something in Kat Von D...and I was like O RLY? Light 44 is too dark! It told me I was Gobi in Nars All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation...I tried it on and it was way too yellow. I finally tested Siberia which was just barely light enough. I've now tested it in bright light and although it's a tad yellow and I'm more pink, I REALLY like the coverage and the weightless feel. It'll do. I might try Mont Blanc the next time I go to Sephora. I'm glad they decided to relent and do the exchange. Because I was seriously about to pull the "do you have any idea how much I've spent in your store?" card. I've been thisclose to VIBR for two years straight.

Anaphora

Hey ladies! I just wanted to post about the Dr. Jart+ Dis-A-Pore. It's all I have on today other than translucent powder and blush. I know a lot of you know I need medium-full coverage because of my pretty severe rosacea. It covers so well by itself!
0a3585d7_image.jpeg

laurennnxox

Hey ladies! I just wanted to post about the Dr. Jart+ Dis-A-Pore. It's all I have on today other than translucent powder and blush. I know a lot of you know I need medium-full coverage because of my pretty severe rosacea. It covers so well by itself!
0a3585d7_image.jpeg
You are stunning! I have a sample of this.. I need to try it now. Thanks for sharing. :)

Gwena

So I have done something I never thought I would....scrubbed off the fake tan and embraced my pale Irish skin...but I feel like I am starting from scratch when it comes to finding a favourite foundation. All the foundations I loved for a tanned look on me don't seem to cut it the same way. For instance I usually love YSL's touche eclat foundation but twhere as on tanned skin looked all glowly and perfect looks oily and patchy on pale. Soooo what are your holy grail pale foundations (and I mean pale) ideally medium to full coverage.

bambookoalatree

I just wanted to thank Shellygrrl for steering me here! I found it and thank you! Hello everyone! White as snow here! :) I just read through the pages and saw most people discussing MAC and Nars with a mention of mineral foundation here, and a pure white powder or base mixer there.. But I'm not seeing any really pale answers here. Brands like RCMA are perfect! Koh Gen Doh, Asian brands, and many sunscreens are wonderful as sunscreen and primer from Asia! Layering SPF is great! Being I'm too pale for MAC, Chanel, Dior, Cle de Peau, Tom Ford, Dolce and Gabbana, Gucci, Hourglass, BECCA, Bare Minerals, all drugstore, YSL, Marc Jacobs, MUFE, Zelens, .. You name it.... I've a pretty good idea where the melanin challenged are coming from. :) For me, the following applies which may or may not be helpful but I hope to add something for all of you to look into, and contribute to the great successes already mentioned! My skin: Sensitive, Reactive, currently Acne Prone, Changing, Oily, Dry, Combo, Dehydrated, confused. Color: I learned I'm closer to having zero undertones than any at all, but under close scrutiny, there's a bit of a peachy yellow sometimes but mostly a very cool olive. For reference, if you use the Meow Cosmetics color range, I'd be mixing Snow Lynx with either Inquisitive Ocicat 0, or Inquisitive Chartreux 0, hence I'm very pale. Products I thought I could make work have all been mentioned already and sadly, we're not pale enough as I'm not bronzing my neck. For example: Armani shades 2 & 3.. Nope! Not in any formula. :( No MAC except Lightscapade MSF or Pro Studio wear Pastel in Shivering White as a powder. Pigments as highlighters (of course) and I break out from all formulations and turn either too beige, yellow, or pink. CdP in B10 is too pink, slightly dark, amazing formula though! So if you are pink and need a light one, you can make that work and it has SPF of 26 I believe, and if that doesn't work, i10 may work as it is lighter, more neutral, still looks dark on me but almost able to make them work.. Which brings me to the next contenders I'd recommend for pale pinks and pale pale neutrals which are a bit easier to make work and great quality as well! By Terry Cover Expert in shade Fair 1 is a most beautiful pale shade with light pink undertone.. Blends. Too pink for me, so number 2 is workable blended well! This goes as well for the By Terry Terrybly Densiless Primer and foundation which are lovely! 1 is pink straight up, 2 is neutral pale Ivory, 3 like vanilla... Quite expensive most of these are except for RCMA, which I'll get into last, and mention now that all skin types mainly have never had a problem with it and it is touted the best foundation.. A great beauty tool for safe ingredients, perfect coverage, finish, last power, color, and no breakouts. :) To continue.. For a light comfortable gorgeous foundation, check out Koh Gen Do which caters more to light colors, exceeds with pale yellow, pale ochre, pale pinks, and even has a white shade as a "highlighter" that is meant to lighten KGD Aqua Foundation SPF 15. The palest pink in that is shade 12. Palest yellow: 113, no neutrals but workable with the white and the texture is in its own HD world.. A bit darker but more olive? The 213 is amazing! Perfection! Now for a better match.. Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Moisture Foundation. While these hint at moisture, they actually keep the complexion balanced in a strange magical way, few ingredients, HD technology, pricey but amazing! Ok: Shade 001 is blendable to work on the fairest, even I can make it work though it's not perfect, it is perfect for the palest with pink undertones. Too light? 012 will be very spot on. Next up with pink is 13. If you're a bit more beige than 12, try 002! 112 is the next step up in fair and 113 is that perfect pale banana shade, sometimes mixing them together is great! Color 213 is a true pale golden beige and works wonders, especially mixes with 001! They are small tubes but a little goes a long way and of all I am mentioning, I am only staying where the base products are safe for even sensitive skin and most skin types benefit, and the coverage, wear, and benefits are great! So it's worth the splurge! Just use a bit! Done. Gorgeous. BeautyProfessor.net has most swatches of the Koh Gen Do Awua and all By Terry as well as Cle de Peau. That site is great with color descriptions in mac terms and other examples to help those who can't get to a counter! Also, Koh gen do will send you tons of samples of you email them directly and explain yourself! As well, Cle de Peau counters will send too. Contact the brand counter directly. Contact Net a porter or Barneys for By Terry. Always see if you try it and it won't work that you can return! :) As for Tom Ford, some Asian color exclusives were added that work for the some of the palest, and those are numbers 13 and 14 in the Traceless Perfecting Foundation, which are still too dark for me. RCMA: This is a professional stage quality cream that has every color imaginable & able to mix the unimaginable. I have found that having samples is enough! You only need a little bit as its concentrated more than Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer, in which 01 was still too dark and the mineral oil is a no no for me. The RCMA KA palette is the palest 5 color palette, they offer many, and then single shades at $12, once you determine your color, and for 1-3 dollars, you can her samples from various places to try as well! I wound up getting a clear sample, which is white, Porcelain, basically white, and Ivory, a bit more color than Porcelain and the KA palette. I also got the thinner to make cream more creamy faster! I can custom blend a color so easily that is as Casper white as I am but still looks like skin! The coverage is remarkable, the tiniest bit covers a face full of acne, google it! It lasts, does not transfer, and sets beautifully with a translucent powder or the RCMA no color powder which is a standout. Other powders I play with are Hourglass Ethereal Light Ambient Lighting Powder, Manic Panic Virgin, MAC Lightscapade as mentioned earlier, Cle de Peau Luminizer in shade Pastel, BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector liquid in Pearl, though I play with all the colors up to Opal, and Champagne Pop is just ok. Benefit Watt's Up is nice, Korean Three Concept Eyes in PinkGold, and others in Pearl tones make up my large highlight collection. Guerlain foundations are all too pale but I do love the Meteorites primer and the palest of all versions of Meteorites! They give beautiful life to my white skin! :) I've found blue and violets as well as greens make great highlighters as my skin is fair and pretty transparent so the colors of veins and light mixed together are actually stunning! Have I tried ColourPop? Oh I have a bunch I swatched once but I've not tried them on my face.. They just sit there, poor things. Some BB creams are great! Missha's in 13 are usually perfect for the pale, 21, the next fair shade up.. And I put my SPF faith into either SK-II, another Asian brand, or Radical's, which also makes for a perfect primer and perfects skin tone. It's lovely. The search is real, and I hope I've given some insight to you all! A great place to begin is always Meow Cosmetics for samples to determine what color you need to match elsewhere, and then you can hunt for RCMA or see if any others will match you and your skin type! Oh, I can't forget NARS Luminizer in Copacabana! That's a superb one to procure as well as the BECCA Pearl! :) I do realize that, other than the RCMA, what I've listed is very expensive, but I did try everything else first and these more expensive formulas are raved about for good reason! (So good!) So if your porcelain face needs a new base, don't worry about haste and invest! Your skin will thank you! Also, as a personal preference, I use skincare to keep my complexion pale and protected. You are beautiful. Frustration may cost some money, but feeling better about one's self helps! :) (Any typos I apologize for on behalf of autocorrect.) Keep hydrated! Thanks for the great posts! :)

pandorablack

Anyone who is NW13...can you tell me what color you ended up with in NARS? I'm trying to decide between Mount Blanc and Gobi. I think Siberia is too light (that's what I have now).

beauteblogueur

Have any of you guys tried the Marc Jacobs Remarcable foundation concentrate? What color worked for you?
I'm using 10 Ivory Light, the lightest shade. I guess I'm about NW5-10, and it's a good match, certainly the best I've ever found in a full coverage formula. It's an amazing foundation, covers absolutely everything (I have acne scarring).

I can do some comparison swatches with the rest of my foundations tomorrow if that would be useful to anyone.

beauteblogueur

Swatches:
fc7663df_image.jpeg
L-R: MJ Re(Marc)able in 10 Ivory Light, Kat Von D Lock-It in 42 Light, MUFE Ultra HD in Y205, Maybelline Matte Fit Me in 110 Porcelain, Illamasqua Skin Base in 02, MUFE Mat Velvet in 15 Alabaster, MAC Full Coverage in W10 and Revlon Colorstay in 110 Ivory.

Latest posts