Porcelain Beauties: Rants and Raves for foundations

GinghamDot

That is very helpful, but those split faces are somehow terrifying! After seeing her pictures it feels fraudulent to call myself pale. I find that many pale products go on fine, but they oxidize terribly, and as a result my skin just looks off.

shellygrrl

Staff member
After seeing her pictures it feels fraudulent to call myself pale. I find that many pale products go on fine, but they oxidize terribly, and as a result my skin just looks off.
What's your skintype? Which products oxidized on you? Were you using primer underneath?

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
Although this thread is about foundations, I thought this might be helpful for fellow fair and cooltoned ladies who are still looking for a concealer, since I know it's not easy to find one.
I took a chance and ordered the MUFE HD one in 310 from Sephora France and I'm super happy with it. It's the lightest concealer I've ever tried and I love how pinktoned it is.
Here are some messy swatches that I took real quick to send a friend, but I figured I might as well post them here.

l. - r.: Clinique Airbrush 01 fair, Shiseido Eye Zone Corrector 102, NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer Chantilly, MUFE HD Concealer 310, MAC Moisturecover NW15

I'm surprised to see how much darker the MAC one is in comparison, I was using it for years. The worst match for me is the NARS, it's so yellow on me and has an almost grey undertone to it. I feel like it just looks off on me, such a weird shade. (Also, the Shiseido and Clinique irritate my eyes, Shiseido because it's scented and the Clinique leaves a burning feeling.)
The coverage of the MUFE is better than the others (except NARS) as well.
I highly recommend this!

Now I'm tempted to try the HD foundation and well.

Kragey

I'm always looking for products that match NARS Chantilly. Alas, my near-perfect match and it's in a concealer!

CrimsonQuill157

Can't believe I just found this thread! I've been on the hunt for an HG foundation for a while.

My best match is when I mix MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NW10 and NW13 together. It's pretty much dead on. However, I'd like to find a foundation that I don't have to mix.

I've got dry skin, so finding one that is ideal for that would be good, too.

Matchmaster 1.0 is passable, I wear it when I don't have time in the morning to mix my foundations, but it's just a hair too dark. I wore it to work today and while I'm sure no one else notices that it's a little off, I can somewhat tell depending on the lighting.

Missha M Perfect Cover in 13 was off. I hesitate to say it was too pale, maybe just too pink? And it just didn't do very well with my skin, it didn't want to blend in and looked super streaky.

I tried Revlon Colorstay in Ivory and my dad told me I looked like a geisha. I guess that meant it is too pale for me, though it looks good to me in natural light.

NARS Gobi (I think? the second palest) is about the same as Matchmaster 1.0, maybe a hair darker. Passable, but passable isn't good enough for a $42 foundation. I wanted to get a sample of Siberia from Sephora but the SA blew me off. I wish they offered that shade inside the SiJCP because the SA's are a lot nicer and more accomodating.

I'm really interested in MUFE's foundations, as well as Estee Lauder Double Wear and KVD Lock it in 42. I had the same issue with trying to acquire the MUFE samples as I did Siberia, the Estee Lauder counters intimidate me, and the KVD is always sold out.

Now that I've rambled... anyone a similar shade?

shellygrrl

Staff member
NARS Gobi (I think? the second palest) is about the same as Matchmaster 1.0, maybe a hair darker. Passable, but passable isn't good enough for a $42 foundation. I wanted to get a sample of Siberia from Sephora but the SA blew me off. I wish they offered that shade inside the SiJCP because the SA's are a lot nicer and more accomodating.
You're thinking of Mont Blanc. Gobi is the third lightest. I wear Siberia in NARS Sheer Glow. On me, it's just a smidge too yellow, but other than that it's probably the closest matching foundation I've tried to date. (My undertones are neutralish. I've never been matched to a MAC foundation.)
I'm really interested in MUFE's foundations, as well as Estee Lauder Double Wear and KVD Lock it in 42. I had the same issue with trying to acquire the MUFE samples as I did Siberia, the Estee Lauder counters intimidate me, and the KVD is always sold out. Now that I've rambled... anyone a similar shade?
If you're dry, you may want to avoid Mat Velvet+ unless you want a matte finish. I tried it years ago, in the lightest shade (#15 - Alabaster). It oxidized on my combo-to-oily skin. (MUFE Mat Velvet+ in #15 is on the bottom. The top one is Illamasqua Light Liquid Foundation in #115, which has since been discontinued. The above was taken when I owned both foundations.) I think EL Double Wear also has a matte finish. Swatches from Soundly Sensible Beauty... http://soundlysensiblebeauty.blogspot.com/2014/05/estee-lauder-double-wear-foundation.html Kat Von D Lock It is also full coverage, I believe. I don't think it's a matte finish. Beauty Professor has some swatches of all the shades. http://www.beautyprofessor.net/2013/04/kat-von-d-lock-it-tattoo.html

mayushka

I found an even lighter shade than NARS Sheer Glow Gobi, in Armani Luminous Silk shade 3. It's a wonderful pale yellow foundation for us yellow girls, I highly recommend.

CrimsonQuill157

http://www.beautyprofessor.net/2013/04/kat-von-d-lock-it-tattoo.html
Yes, Mont Blanc is it.

I forgot to mention that I do need a relatively full coverage - I have a lot of redness and some acne. I've been applying the Studio Fix in thin layers to get the coverage i need.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Sandalskt

All Clinique foundations go orange on me. Chanel used to do a brilliant shade in their Double Perfection range, but they d/c d it just to spite us pallid ladies... I'm lucky... I have found Select SPF in NC15 is perfect, both in coverage and texture and colour. I have switched to NC5 powder and NC15 concealer as well. Much much better. I wouldn't be any other way.
The only clinique foundation not to go orange on me was perfectly real 01.

LauraLara

I know this an old thread, but I need help. I FINALLY found the right color for me, mufe pink porcelain 110, it's slightly too pink but it blends out fine, I can deal with that. But it's definitely not full coverage and it's all gone in a few hours. But it's not too drying and other than the coverage issue it's great. Does anyone know something exactly like it only fuller coverage and longer lasting? Maybe even spf?

katred

Specktra Bestie
I know this an old thread, but I need help. I FINALLY found the right color for me, mufe pink porcelain 110, it's slightly too pink but it blends out fine, I can deal with that. But it's definitely not full coverage and it's all gone in a few hours. But it's not too drying and other than the coverage issue it's great. Does anyone know something exactly like it only fuller coverage and longer lasting? Maybe even spf?
Not sure about other formulas, but maybe you could use the MUFE over a hydrating primer? As far as good matches for light skin, maybe see if you can get a sample of Nars Sheer Glow in Siberia. It's definitely a non-drying foundation and Siberia is pale without being pink or yellow in undertone.

LauraLara

Not sure about other formulas, but maybe you could use the MUFE over a hydrating primer? As far as good matches for light skin, maybe see if you can get a sample of Nars Sheer Glow in Siberia. It's definitely a non-drying foundation and Siberia is pale without being pink or yellow in undertone.
I definitely use a hydrating primer underneath! It does work that way, but I'm hoping someday to save some steps, so I'll check out the nars color ASAP! I actually have a friend who lives in Seoul South Korea and she's sending me one of their cushion compacts. I'm hoping that will work since I like that whole dewy look with high spf. South Korea has such great makeup right now and it's so hard to find reputable sellers in the U.S. I do love mufe and it's the closest match I've ever had, so I'll keep it around, I'm just so tired of my multi step process. Like I always have to choose between dewiness OR full coverage, can't have both. Maybe that's unavoidable, but I'm tired of muas selling me stuff they swear is a perfect match and I get home and I'm wearing a mask a shade darker than my skin :p I'm really light and everyone else in my family is darker than mac nc40 so foundation too dark for me is just useless. Can't even give it away.

shellygrrl

Staff member
You may not like the forthcoming MUFE Ultra HD, then (it's replacing the current HD formula); supposedly it has less coverage than original HD. You may like NARS Sheer Glow, which Kate already suggested. Definitely more coverage, and it does last. No SPF, but you're never going to get enough sun protection from a foundation anyway. You're better off using a separate sunscreen under your foundation. You could also get the CoverFX Custom Cover Drops (N10 may be light enough for you?) and add a couple of drops to your current foundation to bump up the coverage.

LauraLara

You may not like the forthcoming MUFE Ultra HD, then (it's replacing the current HD formula); supposedly it has less coverage than original HD. You may like NARS Sheer Glow, which Kate already suggested. Definitely more coverage, and it does last. No SPF, but you're never going to get enough sun protection from a foundation anyway. You're better off using a separate sunscreen under your foundation. You could also get the CoverFX Custom Cover Drops (N10 may be light enough for you?) and add a couple of drops to your current foundation to bump up the coverage.
You're probably right about the sunblock :( so I'll check out the Nars this weekend and maybe add the cover to bump it up. I read that that brand was really high coverage, like photo shoot coverage. So that sounds like a good plan :D thanks ladies, I really appreciate it!

CrimsonQuill157

Have any of you ladies tried the Too Faced Born This Way foundation? I've heard a lot about it but I haven't really heard much about how light it goes. Does Porcelain work on any of you?

shellygrrl

Staff member
I found swatches of all the shades... http://beautywithemilyfox.blogspot.com/2015/06/too-faced-born-this-way-foundation.html Sephora had samples available with a code a little while back, I think, but not now. (Didn't get one since I wasn't in need to order anything at the time.) So I've not tried it for myself.

CrimsonQuill157

Sephora had samples available with a code a little while back, I think, but not now. (Didn't get one since I wasn't in need to order anything at the time.) So I've not tried it for myself.
Hmm, based on her description, it wouldn't be light enough. Ah well. The hunt for the perfect foundation continues...

laurennnxox

Have any of you ladies tried the Too Faced Born This Way foundation? I've heard a lot about it but I haven't really heard much about how light it goes. Does Porcelain work on any of you?
Porcelain was way too dark for me. :( I saw on their IG that come this fall, they're adding lighter and darker shades to the range. I wish they would have been included in the launch. I'm dying to try this foundation! The new MUFE Ultra HD in Y205 (their lightest shade in the entire range) is pretty much a dead on match for me. Everything else I've tried is always a touch too dark or oxidizes like crazy.

pandorablack

The new MAC foundation in NW15 works well for me. I'm normally NW13 but this foundation runs light.

I think I'm going to have to give up on my Kat Von D foundation. Light 44 is too dark and Light 42 is too light. I'm probably going to return it.