Porcelain Beauties: Rants and Raves for foundations

ladyjamire

Quote: Originally Posted by shadowaddict

I use Armani Lasting Silk. I have oily skin and this is better for my oiliness. The Lasting Silk also has more coverage" but the lightest shade is still too dark.

I really liked Chanel Mat Lumiere in Porcelain. Of course they decided to discontinue Porcelain and the next lightest shade. Apparently cosmetic companies think that we pale folk do not exist
I have more dry skin but i do like good coverage. I love chanel foundations the perfection Lumière is gorgeous and has quite a pale shade but i still have to mix it with a white foundation. Omg why would they discontinue it, i don't understand cosmetic companies it is not like it is even uncommon to be pale i live in the UK as well and it is the same and we have like no sun ever were hardly the most tanned people yet all the foundations are so dark. I also want to try the chanel perfection Lumière velvet but the shades for that seem limited as well :(

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
In the last days I've been seeing the BareMinerals Bareskin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation all over IG etc. Seems like it hasn't launched here yet, but I guess it has been available on the US for a while. Has anyone tried it? Any swatches of Bare Porcelain?

shellygrrl

Staff member
Found swatches of all shades... http://soundlysensiblebeauty.blogspot.com/2014/05/bare-escentuals-bare-minerals-bareskin.html

mayushka

Does anyone use By Terry in shade 03? I was wondering if it was comparable to NARS Gobi, which is a perfect match for me. It's so hard to find good true yellow based lights that aren't too dark on me.

Dawn

Administrator
Staff member
In the last days I've been seeing the BareMinerals Bareskin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation all over IG etc. Seems like it hasn't launched here yet, but I guess it has been available on the US for a while. Has anyone tried it? Any swatches of Bare Porcelain?
I got a sample of #2 Bare Shell when I was at Sephora the other day. I used my existing brush (not the one they suggest using). I did not use a primer, as it has been hot & humid here and I've been putting as little as possible on my face once I've moisturized. So, Bare Shell was a good match, I'm a MAC NW20 and have a hard time finding foudations with a cool undertone. It looked horrid on my skin tho. They said to put it on lightly and then apply more for fuller coverage. The more I put on, the more my pores were visible. It accentuated any facial hair as well. I ended up wiping it completely off of my nose as I couldn't deal with how it looked and I didn't have time to take it all off and start over w/my regular foundation. With that being said, I'm back to my Giorgio Armani Maestro Fusion (color 5.5). That seems to be the one that looks the best on me at the moment.

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
I got a sample of #2 Bare Shell when I was at Sephora the other day. I used my existing brush (not the one they suggest using). I did not use a primer, as it has been hot & humid here and I've been putting as little as possible on my face once I've moisturized. So, Bare Shell was a good match, I'm a MAC NW20 and have a hard time finding foudations with a cool undertone. It looked horrid on my skin tho. They said to put it on lightly and then apply more for fuller coverage. The more I put on, the more my pores were visible. It accentuated any facial hair as well. I ended up wiping it completely off of my nose as I couldn't deal with how it looked and I didn't have time to take it all off and start over w/my regular foundation. With that being said, I'm back to my Giorgio Armani Maestro Fusion (color 5.5). That seems to be the one that looks the best on me at the moment.
Thank you for your reply as well :) I think I've heard about the pore issue with his foundation before. I guess my lemming for this is pretty much killed for now.

veronikawithak

Anyone else feel like Goldilocks trying to find products? I think I've settled on my best ones (yay!) but here's a list of trial and error in case it helps someone: Normal/Combination skin - oily t-zone Neutral leaning slightly cool toned MAC Matchmaster 1.0 - oxidized MAC F&B C1 - oxidized Smashbox BB Cream Light - too yellow Benefit Hello Flawless - too dark and too yellow MUFE HD - too yellow or pink and too dark Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua B10/BR10 - too yellow or pink, irritating formula NARS Sheer Matte in Siberia - just right! NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly - just right! MAC MSFN Light - just right! Hourglass Ethereal Light - just right! Just hoping these don't get discontinued now! It's hard enough finding a light enough shade but finding a neutral light shade was frustrating to say the least.

sashmac

The only foundation that has been pale enough (and not orange/yellow) for me has been MAC's Studio Fix Fluid in NW10. Its nearly impossible to find for some reason though, nearly every store seems to always be sold out. Whenever I do find a store that has it in stock I always buy a few backups :)

breatheonbeat

recent foundations. if you have questions about my matches, i have posted quite a few swatches here, but i am too fair for mac and find nars Siberia to be dark and yellow. i have very slight warm undertones; I'd say i am nc5 or 7ish the meow is amazing- it's almost perfect, but just slightly off for my undertone (which is more warm on my face than my arm, and meow has like 8 undertone matches- I have heard that with meow, it is possible to find an exact match, so I'm not just being crazy!), so I am going to try a slightly different shade. the tarte bb is great as a base for the meow. missha also matches me well. it celebration foundations have fantastic coverage. the liquid is much too dark on my face. the powders are just slightly too dark, yellow, but offer the best coverage I have seen.... as I've mentioned on other boards, i had an awful allergic reaction to a product. it cosmetics is approved by doctors to use after plastic surgery, apparently(?!) wearing it: keep in mind in this pic I have awful cystic acne and redness (worst i have ever had) in the E 3 contour areas on the cheeks, head, and jawline from the reaction. it is barely visible under the foundation
wearing meow:

Hi there! I tried to search if something similar had been said before but didn't find anything: has any of you tried both the shades 00 Alabaster and 0 Porcelain of the Bobbi Brown's Skin Foundation? I have a sample of the shade 0 Porcelain and I think it's a little it off, maybe just a tad bit darker or just simply too pink, however it doesn't look good. I don't have any counter near so I was wondering if maybe the shade 00 Alabaster would be way too light? I find the 0 Porcelain to be just really slightly off, if it was yellower it would 've being better. Right now NARS SG Siberia is a pretty good match :)

Apart from that I've found some foundations that work for me, normally I'm more paler than I am now (first time ever tanning! :p), so Siberia ends up being a little darker, the only foundation that really matches then is Illamasqua's Skin Base Foundation in shade SB02, but I wouldn't recommend that if you have dry skin! Others than I find can work -even if the match is not perfect:

- Laura Mercier Silk Crème in shade Soft Ivory, something between NC10-15.
- MAC Face&Body in White, just like that, it's very translucent so it doesn't like whitish.
- Skin79 Green BBCream, similar to Missha's Perfect Cover in shade 13, maybe little bit yellower. Texture is much better than the Missha's one.
- YSL shade B10.
- Kevin Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhacer SX01
- Bourjois Healthy Mix shade 51 - the darkest, only if NC15 runs slightly dark on you.
- Etude House Any Cushion N02, between NC10-15.

The Illamasqua's one is much paler than all of the above.

Thanks in advance! :)

breatheonbeat

Hi there! I tried to search if something similar had been said before but didn't find anything: has any of you tried both the shades 00 Alabaster and 0 Porcelain of the Bobbi Brown's Skin Foundation? I have a sample of the shade 0 Porcelain and I think it's a little it off, maybe just a tad bit darker or just simply too pink, however it doesn't look good. I don't have any counter near so I was wondering if maybe the shade 00 Alabaster would be way too light? I find the 0 Porcelain to be just really slightly off, if it was yellower it would 've being better. Right now NARS SG Siberia is a pretty good match :)  Apart from that I've found some foundations that work for me, normally I'm more paler than I am now (first time ever tanning! :p), so Siberia ends up being a little darker, the only foundation that really matches then is Illamasqua's Skin Base Foundation in shade SB02, but I wouldn't recommend that if you have dry skin! Others than I find can work -even if the match is not perfect: - Laura Mercier Silk Crème in shade Soft Ivory, something between NC10-15. - MAC Face&Body in White, just like that, it's very translucent so it doesn't like whitish.  - Skin79 Green BBCream, similar to Missha's Perfect Cover in shade 13, maybe little bit yellower. Texture is much better than the Missha's one. - YSL shade B10. - Kevin Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhacer SX01 - Bourjois Healthy Mix shade 51 - the darkest, only if NC15 runs slightly dark on you. - Etude House Any Cushion N02, between NC10-15. The Illamasqua's one is much paler than all of the above.  Thanks in advance! :)
hi! i might post this multiple times, as my phone is acting up. i think you have a similar skintone to mine- i have posted many swatches in here, and i definitely have had both the missha 13 bb and skin79 in green, so those are good reference points. i can send you a collection of swatches via dm, if you wish :) bobbi brown's alabaster shade is, i BELIEVE, maybe a little darker than siberia. it is lighter than porcelain, and definitely has yellow undertones, not pink. if siberia suits you, bb's alabaster probably will too. i want to say, maybe, a half of a shade to one shade darker. and welcome to specktra!!!! :D

breatheonbeat

Hi there! I tried to search if something similar had been said before but didn't find anything: has any of you tried both the shades 00 Alabaster and 0 Porcelain of the Bobbi Brown's Skin Foundation? I have a sample of the shade 0 Porcelain and I think it's a little it off, maybe just a tad bit darker or just simply too pink, however it doesn't look good. I don't have any counter near so I was wondering if maybe the shade 00 Alabaster would be way too light? I find the 0 Porcelain to be just really slightly off, if it was yellower it would 've being better. Right now NARS SG Siberia is a pretty good match :)  Apart from that I've found some foundations that work for me, normally I'm more paler than I am now (first time ever tanning! :p), so Siberia ends up being a little darker, the only foundation that really matches then is Illamasqua's Skin Base Foundation in shade SB02, but I wouldn't recommend that if you have dry skin! Others than I find can work -even if the match is not perfect: - Laura Mercier Silk Crème in shade Soft Ivory, something between NC10-15. - MAC Face&Body in White, just like that, it's very translucent so it doesn't like whitish.  - Skin79 Green BBCream, similar to Missha's Perfect Cover in shade 13, maybe little bit yellower. Texture is much better than the Missha's one. - YSL shade B10. - Kevin Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhacer SX01 - Bourjois Healthy Mix shade 51 - the darkest, only if NC15 runs slightly dark on you. - Etude House Any Cushion N02, between NC10-15. The Illamasqua's one is much paler than all of the above.  Thanks in advance! :)
welcome! you sound like a similar skintone to me, perhaps a tiny bit darker- the two bbs you mentioned match me quite well (i wear missha 13 regularly w meow cosmetics to set- they have a great range of mineral makeup for fair skin. my perfect match is inquisitve chartreux- skin79 green was a great color, but appeared patchy). Siberia is too dark (maybe one or two shades) and yellow on me. Bobbi's 00/alabaster was about 2 shades too dark for me. it is lighter and for yellow undertones, while porcelain is for pink (and is a little darker!)- alabaster may match you!

shellygrrl

Staff member
Hi there! I tried to search if something similar had been said before but didn't find anything: has any of you tried both the shades 00 Alabaster and 0 Porcelain of the Bobbi Brown's Skin Foundation? I have a sample of the shade 0 Porcelain and I think it's a little it off, maybe just a tad bit darker or just simply too pink, however it doesn't look good. I don't have any counter near so I was wondering if maybe the shade 00 Alabaster would be way too light? I find the 0 Porcelain to be just really slightly off, if it was yellower it would 've being better. Right now NARS SG Siberia is a pretty good match :) 
Not the Skin Foundation, but she had a cream foundation in a compact ages ago that I bought in Porcelain, and that was a tad too dark for me. I've not tried Alabaster, but I imagine it may be a better match. Hrm.
Apart from that I've found some foundations that work for me, normally I'm more paler than I am now (first time ever tanning! :p), so Siberia ends up being a little darker, the only foundation that really matches then is Illamasqua's Skin Base Foundation in shade SB02, but I wouldn't recommend that if you have dry skin! Others than I find can work -even if the match is not perfect: - Laura Mercier Silk Crème in shade Soft Ivory, something between NC10-15. - MAC Face&Body in White, just like that, it's very translucent so it doesn't like whitish.  - Skin79 Green BBCream, similar to Missha's Perfect Cover in shade 13, maybe little bit yellower. Texture is much better than the Missha's one. - YSL shade B10. - Kevin Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhacer SX01 - Bourjois Healthy Mix shade 51 - the darkest, only if NC15 runs slightly dark on you. - Etude House Any Cushion N02, between NC10-15. The Illamasqua's one is much paler than all of the above. 
SB02 runs more pink or peach, though, right?

SB02 runs more pink or peach, though, right?
Yes the problem is the shades are not consistent, I know in some foundations 00 Alabaster is incredibly dark compared to others, but apparently in the Skin Foundation is actually the lightest shade Bobbi Brown does. I was pretty doubtful when the SA matched me to the second lightest actually, but I can see why! The "shade deepness" is not that bad, just the undertone more than anything.

SB02 compared to per example Siberia is way lighter and yes, is indeed pink-toned but also really tending to neutral, I'm pretty yellow (I find Siberia to be really yellow) and when I have my normal-more-pale tone, it fits really well, if it was yellower well, it would be better, but I've used some pinkish foundations and they look realy awful on me, SB02 does not. But I don't like the product in itself
nope.gif
Looks really bad with patchy-dry skin!

Thank you both for answering!
tong.gif

I just wanted to share this, found it really helpful:

http://muchadoaboutmascara.wordpress.com/2014/04/28/foundation-adventures-ultra-pale/

Thia Winter

When I used to use SFF I was NC15, and NC20 in SFP. Now my skin tone has changed. I just bought a new studio fix powder and was rematched to c3 because nc20 oxidized some. The c3 oxidized worse so I took it back and got n3. So far so good I think it will be perfect! Other brands I use... Bare Minerals fairly light Tarte Amazonian clay powder foundation fair light neutral Aromaleigh 2n Used to use meow sleek Abyssinian which is too yellow but I don't like their foundations any more I'm going to go get a liquid from mac for occasional use soon. I want matched again though. NW15 may work better for me now.