Pure Luxe (all)

wolfsong

A few points about this brand from my experience (for what its worth):
- Try the eyeshadows with MAC Paint Sticks (or similar 'base' products). I put Venom, Awakening and Sly over a thin layer of Clear Sky Blue Paint Stick (dabbed on until it looked chalky) and they wouldn't budge! It makes them easy to blend, brighter and stick to your skin until you want them off (I put then on at night to see how long they would last and they were still perfect in the morning). I guess this works for all loose pigments, but these eyeshadows are so smooth and fine to apply in the first place.

- If you ever want a non 'glittery' dupe for Copper Sparkle, 'Obscene' eyeshadow is for you. This one lasts all day without base on recently moisturized lids, and its so pretty with blue eyes!

- The pots that look like glitter are just that - fine glitter. Nothing special there.

- The colour corrector i received (green) has specks of dark blue dye in it which creates 'ink smudges' on my face. I dont know if i just got a bad batch though.

- Fantasy eyeshadow is an extremely beautiful grey-mauve based shadow with a very finely milled lilac-pink sheen. Divine eyeshadow is a cool toned, silvery-lavender version to this. Both would look lovely brushed/patted on top of other shadows as they are pale and quite sheer.

- Orange Sorbert is the perfect highlight/pale peach colour for neutral looks but it has little staying power on its own. Used wet it obviously has more of a punch, colourwise.

- Awakening eyeshadow applied finely looks like a fine milled, slightly greener version of White Gold pigment (though again - no staying power).

- Captivate blush is the perfect shimmery lilac-pink, but has little pigment and what colour it has tends to settle into pores if you dont use a good primer before hand. IMO looks best on top of other blushes to provide shimmer and a slight tone/shade change.

- Nutmeg is a basic matte warm-toned medium brown, that has better staying power than the finely milled pearl-sheen eyeshadows, but still needs a good base.

- Sly 'Ultimate' is a lovely dark forest green liner, and like most of the powders looks better used damp/wet. MAC's Mixing Medium brings out the sparkles really well, but im sure that any mixing mediums would have that effect (Smashbox's Off Set is my favourite to mix pigments/loose powders with as its slightly tacky and thicker then water mediums).

- The erazer's wonderful for pores and fine lines, but you have to use with a light hand otherwise it balls up if you apply product over the top of it (I use Fyrinnae's Rice Powder Primer dusted over the top to prevent this).

- The soaps have an okay lather, smell and feel nice to use. I dont know if they are benefiting my skin (havent used for long enough), but they aren't doing any harm so i like them
smiles.gif

- The sample sizes are actually large for 1/8 tsp - looks the same as Fyrinnae to me but this could be because PL are 'fluffier'. You'll probably find a use for whatever you buy, and if not you have the dinky pots to use for mixing/travelling etc
smiles.gif

- Cheap shipping to UK from USA, and speedy processing & delivery. Pleased with method of packing also (bubblewrap and jiffy bag if i remember correctly) - no old newspaper pages like Fyrinnae!

alien21xx

Wolfsong did a really great review on this brand above. I'd just like to add a few more stuff as I've decided that out of all mineral make-up brands out there, Pure Luxe really stands out as my HG and absolute favorite:

1. The foundations are the most amazing powders in the world. They are smooth, creamy and provide a gorgeous airbrushed finish. I am lucky to have found a color that's spot on for my complexion and didn't have to do any mixing at all.

2. Blushes that look blah or scarily shimmery in jar but gorgeous on the skin are: Nymph (better than NARS Orgasm, IMO), Vanity and Giddy. Vanity as a base blush with Giddy dusted over it gives a wonderful pinkish flush. Generally, the darker toned blushes are too dark for my skin though, so they're really better for deeper skin tones.

3. The cream eraser is one of the most awesome things known to man. I have really terrible pimple scars on my cheeks and in order to minimize the damage, I apply a small amount of cream eraser on my cheeks. Pores and scars are instantly minimized and my foundation lasts even longer than usual.

4. Silica is the best primer for anyone with oily skin. I have tried my PL foundation with the Fyrinnae rice powder primer and got the same results as using Silica: really smooth, minimal shine, very creamy look. I now prefer Silica over the rice primer though because of Fyrinnae's long-ass turnaround time to fulfill orders.

5. Pure Luxury powder has some sort of funky smell, like it smells a bit like salted fish. It's not a bad smell and doesn't linger at all! Once the powder is on my face, the smell disappears, and it doesn't linger on my brush either.

6. The powder eraser makes for a wonderful finishing powder. It really smooths my skin and evens out the foundation very well (great for when you're in a hurry and do a splotchy application!)

7. I still don't have a very good opinion of the eyeshadows as I feel that they don't stick well enough even with a good eye primer like Urban Decay. I may change my opinion if the Pure Luxe eye primer makes it stick. I just recently ordered the primer and am waiting for it to be delivered.

8. The brushes aren't anything special. The badger set is from Crown Brush and it's cheaper to get from there. The individual brushes aren't cool. The blush brush traps too much powder but deposits too little.

Hope this helps everyone else who's considering buying from them. I really love Pure Luxe for their gorgeous powders and I hope more people will buy their stuff as they are seriously gorgeous!

wolfsong

Wonderful review, thanks for this! Im glad i didnt buy any brushes now. Eraser powder is better for me as i always apply too much of the gunky stuff, which balls up when i do foundation etc (i think i mentioned). I have a foundation of theirs, but i was a bit scared to use it due to the inkgate. I shall have a play tomorrow now though... Have you tried the whipped foundation? Ive seen a better photo of it on MUA, and it looks like warpaint :/

Salty fish
wtff.gif

(Just have to mention - the package that came yesterday from PL was put together and delivered to me from USA to UK in 7 days. She's always quick, but that was very impressive).

Ive ordered the primer too - i hope it can do something about the eyeshadows. When i pestered the owner about a base, she told me this one is creamier than UDPP and easy to blend. It apparently makes the e/s look brighter and stay on (they all say that, and it will be great if its true - the fine eyeshadows dont do anything but look pretty).

I have a sample of the Vanilla eyezcreme which i was/am going to use as a base to tide me over (the only e/s ive needed a base for is pure luxe). Its a sheer natural glowy highlighter colour with a lovely consistancy. It wont gloop or dry out your skin, which is what i hate about cream eyeshadows. Drys quick enough, though its slightly tacky for a minute or two, which would make it a good sub for a proper base.

Another good thing (for me at least), the 10 cents sifters from pure luxe fit fyrinnae sample jars too (they would fit most 2g - 5g jars i think). I didnt think they did at first, but if you press it down on its center and then push any side that sticking up its all good. I dont have to panic about knocking another sample in the sink while i wait for fyrinnae to process my order (35+ business days? I love that company, but jesus! Ive been trying to order again from them this past week but they are having problems, so ive made a few unnecessary pure luxe orders. Need to stop going on that website)...
2g jar w/o sifter = 30 cents
5g jar w/o sifter = 50 cents
20g jar with sifter (comes separate) = $1
The 20g jar is the perfect size to tip a bit of blush or foundation etc into so that you can swirl your brush around and get an even coverage. Bigger blusher brushes may need the 30g ($1.25) - however i dont know if this is just deeper or actually wider, they are a solid jar whatever.

The Pure Luxe finishing powder (translucent matte) is wonderful - makes my foundation look polished when ive done a half ass job. Which is most of the time.

alien21xx

I just received my PL soaps, eyeshadow primer and the Lip Wands and here's another short review:

- The calamine soap bar is made of pure WIN! I had a small pimple from some make-up smearing when I fell asleep and within a day of using it, the blemish was gone and didn't leave any discoloration or mark! The soap itself lathers quite well. It doesn't melt even if soaked extensively in my bath water (a problem that has caused me to shift to liquid soaps/washes). I don't really recommend it for very dry skin types though, as I found that my face felt just a touch tight. The tightness disappeared after applying my moisturizer.

- The rhassoul clay soap is also good, has about the same qualities as the calamine soap though it didn't have the same spectacular results on blemishes/sensitive skin. I find the scent of this soap a bit overpowering, so I didn't buy the full-sized bar anymore.

- I bought a sample of one of the lip wands and I think this is the one product I am sorely disappointed in. The gloss was packaged in the usual PL sample jar and it would have been a good shade as well (I got Nymphomania), but the time in transit (and probably the heat in my country as well) has caused the oils in the gloss to separate! So now, I'm left with some waxy chunk of color swimming in the oils in the jar--totally now enticing at all.

- The primer isn't creamy - it's more of a thick viscous liquid that spreads on my lids easily and dries invisible. Compared to UDPP, which is my current eye primer, the PL primer made the shadows I used a lot easier to blend. It was also easy to layer on more if the primer has dried and you need to apply more. However, the staying power wasn't as long as UDPP's. My eye make-up creased in the inner v after 5 hours of partying. UDPP normally doesn't crease until after like 10 hours. I have yet to test the primer in normal day-to-day conditions. I think one of the reasons why my shadow creased so fast may have been due to the strenuous activity I was working (dancing all night is hard work yo!). I'll have to see how it is on a normal office day, but still I've ordered the full-sized tube because I'm running out of UDPP anyway.

Hope this helps everyone who's interested in making a PL purchase!
winks.gif

ETA: Additional note about the Pure Luxe Eyeshadow Primer: It made my PL shadows stick this time, but I had to layer some MAC shadestick to make it work. I've ordered some more shadows because of this.
greengrin.gif

user68

I gave in and ordered samples of foundation, finishing powder and a primer as well as a couple of blushes. Razzberry looks like it could be great.

I wonder how the mineral foundation will compare to Fyrinnae? It seems silly to wait for months (that's if the order even goes through) to get a staple item like foundation so I'm going to give Pure Luxe a try instead.

astronaut

Here are some swatches of the super crapy pure luxe shadows over UDPP. Shit shit shit shit shit. Looks like a sheer crappy mess. I bought all full sized, not thinking that shadows could end up being such crap. The 25 cent bon bons at Walmart are better than this. I wouldn't use these even if they were given to me for free. I don't want to look like a cheap whore. The owner must not know jack about makeup to think this crud is quality cosmetics *gag* This is not who pigments are supposed to look like at ALL!!!

img4601nl6.jpg

Not to mention the site is poorly designed. cheap cheap cheap cheap. I wish I would have known better back then. But I was naive and stupid. Also, I didn't notice that the swatches on the Pure Luxe site are WET and some are WET on white paper! That's a total con. Anything will show up when used wet. Try it! It is not an indicator of pigmentation at all.

Please save your money. Other mineral cosmetics are much better. I've tried Alima, Everyday Minerals, and Aromaleigh shadows. They all perform very well. Ex.: Here's a swatch of Aromaleigh's 'grass' eyeshadow, which is my favorite green by the way, without a base, dry. Look at how bold that is. That is what a good pigment/shadow is supposed to look like. Pure Luxe, you suck!

grassdg3.jpg

I'm reading the about info on pure luxe:
Natural mineral based powder cosmetics and skincare. - About Us
Everything the owner has written is an absolute fabricated joke. I can't believe she has the nerve to even put her face out there. I just can't see how anyone can be proud of such low quality products, and ripping people off at the same time! I was 16, had my first job, and spent $50 of my hard earned minimum wage teenage money on her SHITTY products. She was taking advantage of children! Witccchhhh

stacey4415

I really like the site, i ordered all the bubblegum ball colours in the sample jars and they've lasted me weeks i also tried the eraser! it took only 5 days to deliver to England!

stacey4415

Oh i must add though, the eye creams really irritated my eye, i had to wash them off instantly and my eyes still stung
ssad.gif

vveinee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpensiveToy
I really like the eyeshadow "Supernova"... but I live in Italy and I can't order anymore from P.L or other extraeuropean sites, because the orders always keep in the customs and it really sucks!

I'd like to know if there's a similar M.A.C color... Supernova is a really cute pink color with lots of gold shimmers in it... maybe is there a MAC pigment which has this characteristics?
I don't know if this is the right thread to post my request, but... i'd really love to know!!

I remember someone mentioned "Supernova" is similar to MAC "Expensive Pink".

heartichoke

A bunch of swatches and product pics...

I got a small sample order from PL and went a little crazy with the swatching, haha.

First, a few product pics to show the size of the samples...

100_0872copy.jpg

100_0873copy.jpg

100_0874copy.jpg

And some dry swatches in different lighting:

100_0867copy.jpg

100_0869copy.jpg

100_0870copy.jpg

And foiled-- told you I went crazy!

100_0888copy.jpg

100_0891copy.jpg

Some thoughts:
I love all the eyeshadows, especially Bubblegum, which is a really surprising color. It's bright pink with a really pretty purple/blue sparkle. Amethyst is also pretty-- not sure if the photos showed the pink interference very well, but it's definitely there!
One thing I noticed about the eyeshadows is that it's kind of difficult to foil them, for some reason-- they clump! Well, Sour Apple didn't at all, but the rest did. Not sure if this is a brush issue or a product issue...

Eraser is a wonderful product-- I am definitely getting a large jar! It smoothes out my skin and really keeps my foundation on for a lot longer than it would stay on its own!

However, I also ordered a green color correcting version of Eraser, and like someone said above, it is not properly mixed-- there are dark specks of blue ink that smudge on my skin.

So, I love the colors but will have to try out the e/s a couple more times to see if it applies well.

The end of my massive post!

Almost black.

I simply love Pure Luxe!
bigheart.gif

She's great and I love her eyeshadows!

My favourite is definitely Forest, I'll make a swatch later, it's green. Anyway, the colour is so wonderful that I really feel bad when I use it. Funny, yeah.
th_LMAO.gif

Her CS is great, shipping (time) also.
thmbup.gif

About foundations, I've ordered fer samples but I think she should make some more colours because those she has aren't really enough. Meow is much better at that.
winks.gif

adegea

I love Pureluxe, especially kaleidoscope collection, eyeshadow primer and giddy and nymph blushes.

vanessagarcia

I love Pure Luxe and I like how they sell samples in JARS for only $1.00! I hate dealing with messy baggies, and having to transfer them. Their calamine soap is awesome too!

LIDDLEANNA

i loveee pure luxe i think their pigmentation is great..yes there is fallout but i feel like there always is with loose powders
th_dunno.gif

their blushes are amazing ..enchantress..razzberry and nymph
thmbup.gif

Sherice

the peach champagne eye color is gorgeous!! I love it...everything about it!!! The violet one sucks though

enigma

I have some eyeshadows and Eraser from Pure Lux. I am amazed at how eyeshadows are lovely colours and very easy to blend, they are excellent. However, I am not so amazed by Eraser, it does nothing for me.
ssad.gif

newtomakeup

i love their eyeshadows.. I think i have about more than 20 eyeshadow samples and the sample size will last me for a long time. My favourite is 'amethyst' and 'chocolate mint'. It is such a fabulous colour.

I also got the calamine soap which is very good & i love the smell..

eye.jpg

eyeshadow1.jpg

CellyCell

I got swatches in my blog but I wanted to add that they made my eyes itch.
And I don't get that feeling with MAC pigments - so I'm a bit iffy about using it often.

usmcwife27

yea pure luxe are awesome. for $1 a sample? and they say 1/8 but there more like 1/4 to a complete full jar, and their colors are nothing short of fabulous