Red Lipstick

Quiana

Not plum... not berry...but RED
smiles.gif

Please tell me your fav/HG red lipstick. I really want to see if I can find a red lipstick that suites darker skin women without looking minstrel-like.

Thanks!

sexypuma

Love pure vanity l/g, mac red l/s, warning and autobody red l/v and fanplastico laquer. you can look in my gallery, there are pics of me wearing some of them and ebonyannete has done a FOTD with warning.
HTH

lsperry

I Love Red Lipstick!

My favorites are:
Guerlain Kiss Kiss Excès De Rouge 523
MAC Lip Varnish LE Collection - Auto Body Red
MAC Powerhouse (Discontinued)
MAC Untamed LE Collection - Lipglass Pure Vanity
MAC Nocturnelle LE Collection - Rouge Noir (Lustre, LE)
MAC Nocturnelle LE Collection - Lipglass Chance Encounter (LE)
MAC Rockocco LE Collection (amplified creme)

I bought 2 each from MAC's LE collections....I love red lipstick and if properly applied and balanced w/the rest of your make-up, I don't see how they could be "minstrel-like".

Also, from the Holiday/Formal Black LE Collection I bought the 3 red lips (beaded). They are Dubonnet (amplified creme) and Casanova (lustre) Lipsticks, and Cherche La Femme Lipglass. To me, these colors are more of a subdued red color.

OnaFyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiana
without looking minstrel-like.

Hilarious!!!! but true...

MAC_Pixie04

Reds that Look best on me (NW45)
MAC Dubonnet
MAC Russian Red lipglass
MAC Greed lipglass
NARS Fire Down Below
NARS Scandal lipgloss
NARS Diablo lacquer
MAC Viva Glam 1
MAC Lady Bug
MAC Hot Tahiti (more berry than red)

DaizyDeath

well im not dark skinned infact im practically invisible but it seems like a whole lot of people with different skin tones love russian red l/s and rococo l/s

russian red also comes in a gloss so if you like the glossy look you can buy the l/s and the l/g to achive that.

but i think the best way to find out which one is right for you is to just go to your local mac counter and try everything out lol

Makeupluvr

Like DaizyDeath I too am not dark skinned but IMO the TRUEST blue red l/s is MAC Red (I use it with Cherry l/l). I know a lot of ppl like Ruby Woo but the texture is SO dry (even for a matte) so I personally am not a fan and wouldn't rec it but you might want to try it out. I also like Lady Bug (lustre formula so a bit more sheer but VERY pretty) with Brick l/l. ItMO it is a true red but it isn't RED RED like MAC Red, LOL. Hope that makes sense. And Dubbonet is gorgeous but I don't consider it a true red. Definitely worth checking out.

HTH
smiles.gif

erica_1020

Recently bought MAC Lady bug best I have tried in a long time. Probably because it's a lustre so it isn't too overwhelming. I wore it in a recent fotd

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeupluvr
Like DaizyDeath I too am not dark skinned but IMO the TRUEST blue red l/s is MAC Red (I use it with Cherry l/l). I know a lot of ppl like Ruby Woo but the texture is SO dry (even for a matte) so I personally am not a fan and wouldn't rec it but you might want to try it out. I also like Lady Bug (lustre formula so a bit more sheer but VERY pretty) with Brick l/l. ItMO it is a true red but it isn't RED RED like MAC Red, LOL. Hope that makes sense. And Dubbonet is gorgeous but I don't consider it a true red. Definitely worth checking out.

HTH
smiles.gif

it's hard to call something a true red or an untrue red for different skintones. Glam and MAC red are PINK on me, but Dubonnet does show up as a true red.
MAC Red isn't really a true blue-based red, the MA who stupidly matched me for it told me that it was, and when i went back, 4 other MAs argued that it was way more on the pink side on my skin. It has bluish undertones, but it can be very pink depending on who you put it on i.e., me. Russian Red is a very blue-based red, but still very bright. Red lipstick is trial and error, you have to try a bunch on and see how well they work for your skintone and features, otherwise you'll be very disappointed.

Quiana

Thanks!

Thanks to all those who replied. I actually bought Dubonnet this weekend and love it. I think this is the red I am looking for.....
smiles.gif

DaizyDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
it's hard to call something a true red or an untrue red for different skintones. Glam and MAC red are PINK on me, but Dubonnet does show up as a true red.
MAC Red isn't really a true blue-based red, the MA who stupidly matched me for it told me that it was, and when i went back, 4 other MAs argued that it was way more on the pink side on my skin. It has bluish undertones, but it can be very pink depending on who you put it on i.e., me. Russian Red is a very blue-based red, but still very bright. Red lipstick is trial and error, you have to try a bunch on and see how well they work for your skintone and features, otherwise you'll be very disappointed.

Im soo agreeing with you on this like mac red looks sooo orange on me its like ugh. haha i have a problem with alot of coppery/red eyeshadows doing that 2 which is very annoying! So i can definitly understand when people with different skin tones get mad when a color looks tottally different on them

Thats one of the many reasons why i wont buy my makeup online its like you get it and your like nooooooo that wasnt supposta look this way!
weeping.gif

ebonyannette

I loooove Warning l/g and Wild "bout You l/s. I also like NARS Fire Down Below as well.

I dont care for Dubonnet too much its a bit orange or "spicey" for lack of a better term, I think of it as having that pumpkin pie undertone to it. (I know Im wierd!) I have pinkish undertones so it looks off on me, even with liner. I end up mixing it with other stuff.

Nightmoth liner is a must have for me with red lippies
(Im NW55)

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyannette
I loooove Warning l/g and Wild "bout You l/s. I also like NARS Fire Down Below as well.

I dont care for Dubonnet too much its a bit orange or "spicey" for lack of a better term, I think of it as having that pumpkin pie undertone to it. (I know Im wierd!) I have pinkish undertones so it looks off on me, even with liner. I end up mixing it with other stuff.

Nightmoth liner is a must have for me with red lippies
(Im NW55)

See, Dubonnet is TRUE red on me. And I've got a combination undertone going on, areas of my skin are pink toned, others yellow. Like I said, it's all trial and error. I definitely don't recommend ordering lip colors, especially RED or orange or plum online without trying them on somewhere else. And people swatch them on their hands first (i do this too) but that doesn't work either, especially for women of color who often have two toned lips.

MACtastic

I agree with MAC_Pixie on trying on the lip colors before buying them. Don't let an MA pressure you into buying a color either, especially if you're not used to the vibrant shades. Pick what you're comfortable with.

Dubonnet is a fabulous red IMO
greengrin.gif

Also, glosses are a great way to try a red lippie.

aziza

I'm an NW45 and today I tried MAC Red paired with Russian Red. It was the truest red I've ever tried....I was actually kind of scared because it was so bright even though Im gungho for bold lips. Dubonnet isn't a true red on me even though I'm an NW45 like Pixie. It just shows how varied we are even within the same color families.

ebonyannette

awww, am I the only dark girl Dubonnet doesnt work for? I will have to take a pic and show it to yall if I do wear it I put warning on top of it. So I will take a photo without it and yall can tell me what u think.