Scandalous Cosmetics?

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondasaurusrex
Just putting this up for consideration
YouTube - THE BEST SHADOW BASE PT. 2 - SCANDALOUS COSMETICS SHADOW BASE

I don't understand the "haul" comment either. I think she just got confused.

When you compare an emollient, creamy, white base (Scandalous) to a beige and a skintone dry base, you will get different results. That's common sense. If you want a true comparison, compare that Scandalous base to MAC's Luna CCB or Fascinating Eye kohl.

Like the first video, she picked up the shadow on her finger (before she applied it to her Scandalous base) when she already had primer on her finger. It will pick up more shadow and thus have more to deposit on the Scandalous base. Another note: How hard is she actually pressing into that Ben Nye shadow before she applies it to the UDPP and the Shadestick? On video, you really can't tell.

Again, like the first video, she pressed the shadow into to the Scandalous base and appeared to rub it into the other bases. I say "appears", because most of it occurs out of the shot. You can't really see it. Kind of sketchy.

Here's another issue. She is using this "test" to show how much colour it packs on and a lot of people are using that "test" as a measure to show that it doesn't crease. Two different things. Emollient/creamy bases (like CCBs and this Scandalous primer) will pick up colour better, but they are also the ones that tend to crease. Sure, if you put a thin amount of emollient base and pack on the shadow, it will eliminate creasing for some, but for others, it just won't work.

Personally, I don't wish to pack it on like she has in her video. Her eye makeup, while OK for some, is way too heavy for my personal tastes when applying to my face.

For me, based on what has been uncovered in this thread, her credibility is shot at this point. Any further "comparisons" are pretty much an act in my book and would fail to sway me.

user79

There's been several other Youtube reviews of regular customers and they all said it creased horribly after mere hours and that it was a waste of money. It may make the shadow appear brighter, but that says nothing about longevity.

Longevity of wear and no creasing > brightness of color imo

Asphyxia

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
Keep it coming!

michael%20jackson%20gif.gif

oh no you didn't lol

I think it's cool that people want to start their own lines, but I personally would want to be part of creating the actual product inside. I mean that's the only thing that's going to set you a part from the rest. I guess starting out this is the way to go, but eventually everyone will catch on.

COBI

After all of these posts about the cream base, I bought Ben Nye Cream Foundation in White and it is HEAVEN! And only $9!

Works fantastic and no creasing (on me anyway.) Will post swatches this evening.

EDIT
From left to right:
color on top of UDPP
color on bare skin
color on Ben Nye Cream Foundation (in white)
color on top of Ben Nye Cream Foundation in white which is on top of UDPP

Of interest: the colors over UDPP were HARD to wash off. The one with the color directly on the UDPP was the hardest to clean, followed by UDPP+Ben Nye. Leading me to believe that for the best color "POP" and duration, the combo is the best choice.
03-15-09025.jpg

Post Modern

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
Ah ha, I see. So it's this darn shadow base right here:
LadyBurd - Exclusive Private Label Cosmetics

Hmm Ladyburd seems to be the supplier for many online companies I see.

Even though this is my first post , I have to say you guys are right on with all this investigating on scandalous. I've bought the eyeshadows and they look just like medusas except cheaper looking. i've got the primer and it looks like the one on the ladyburd website also have gotten a sealant for eyeshadow and if you look for it on the ladyburd website it's the exact one , no kidding!!!
right on.
yes.gif

Rudyru

We can say trash about the makeup line, but there's no doubt this girl knows how to market the line. She has a few hundred eating out of the palm of her hand and due to the viral marketing scheme, it'll most likely grow even bigger. Seriously, do you see Avon ladies doing fashion shows, working on z-list celebs, and do some TV work? As shady as this is, she's getting out there somehow, and she's bringing this line with her.

PS. When she mentioned about her "dev team" formulating new eyeshadows, it made me want to choke baby jesus. Yeah, her credit card is definitely working hard.

Fataliya

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpassion
Its so sketchy that she used to pretend to just be a consumer and then she was all "oh I own the company". How shady!!!!

How does someone so dang young looking start their own makeup company? I mean, she just bought a ton of it, slapped a name on it, and started pimping it out??

enigmatic

So, I'm curious. How does ordering private label makeup work? I see that everyone and their mothers has decided to order the same stuff and create their own line. (I'm still copyrighting choke a bitch cosmetics, js) I'm just wondering how it works, since a lot of people seem to be doing it now.

Willa

Re: Excuse my Inner Crazy Artist Rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
I think these "Scandalous" "BitchSlap" and "Medusa" creators should feel ashamed of themselves. Where do you get off putting your name and face to a line you didn't even create yourself? ...

Exactly!
I can't remember on what site I saw this, but the girl on her front page was thanking all her family members for their support and such... like she won an award. Come on, you didnt even create those products, calm down!

I bet she didnt tell her family either that she didnt create it...

lol.gif

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataliya
How does someone so dang young looking start their own makeup company? I mean, she just bought a ton of it, slapped a name on it, and started pimping it out??

It's very easy to slap together the skeleton of a cosmetic business:

1. Order a small amount of product /stock to start
2. Order a small amount of stickers with your company name on them to slap on said product
3. Lease a kiosk at the mall or sell them online
4. Have you and someone else man the kiosk
5. Marketing (apparently this means making free You Tube vids and slapping anti-MAC stickers on balloons - Not too costly)

Starting a makeup business would be relatively inexpensive when it's half-assed. The biggest expense of the items listed above would be the lease on the kiosk (they may require a full lease up front) or creating the website (if you don't sell on ebay or some hosting site).

Here's the million dollar question if you start a business: Is it being done properly?

+ Do you have trademarks?
+ Are you keeping your books and paying your taxes accordingly?
+ Are you insured? What if an employee hurths themselves? What if someone sues you over your product?
+ Are you spending time and money to train your employees?
+ What if an employee sues you over working conditions?
+ Is your business licensed?
+ Do you have a good lawyer on retainer?
+ Do you need a website?
+ What do you do if your supplier goes belly up? How do you get your same colours in that same packaging?
+ Where is your supplier getting their stock from (country of origin)? What assurance do you have from them as to the safety of their product? If a customer is injured from your product, chances are you are the one getting sued, not the supplier. Remember the pet food and peanut incidents?

I could keep going and going here. The reality is that most of the people pushing these cosmetics probably haven't addresed all of the above. They just see dollar signs and want you to be the source of those dollars.

If I wanted to half-ass one together, I could have my own makeup line by the end of the week. I just throw 2-5 grand down and it would be done.

carandru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby_Woo
Are those paintwheels by Scandalous? Cus I first saw them from Kathy the founder of "Bitchslap Cosmetics" wow! You ladies here are GOOD!

sorry, those are from kathy's line. I don't think Scandalous has the paint wheels, but I'm sure they will. It can't be long before they carry the entire Lady Burd line that "they created".

HeavenLeiBlu

Re: Excuse my Inner Crazy Artist Rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
WHY is she so popular? I think it's her accent that does it. It just lures those subscribers in.

:/

I won't lie, and I swear I'm not trying to be offensive, but for me, it's a turnoff. One day I decided to see what the fuss was about, and I just could not stand to listen to her. This doesn't just go for her and her accent, either. I realize that youtube is an extension of people's freedom of speech, and a way for people to expose themselves to the media, but there's a REASON that lots of people don't have a platform otherwise... NOBODY WANTS TOO SEE OR HEAR YOU!!!!!! LOL

OMG, I've tried to get into some people who are popular, and either their accents, subtle speech impediments, poor speech, annoying voices or just plain old poor presentation overall has made me stop watching. Rant over, LOL

Willa

I've been watching the video showed here at page 12...

Is it just me or the girl just wear TOO MUCH makeup?
She looks like a clown...
Is there a market for that?
I love bold looks, but that's too much IMO

yucky.gif

@HeavenLeiBlu : what accent are you talking about?
It's just that since english isnt my first language, I don't really notice hers...

MissResha

ok back to the scandalous vid, the second one.....

um, i hate to be fishing here....but i swear to god it doesn't look like she touched that Ben Nye product because i dont see any difference in smearing on the actual shadow. i know when i touch my ben nye products, you can TELL when i rubbed it cuz it smears.

but at the end of the day, i honestly dont give a shit because i wont be buying it to begin with.

blindpassion

Okay, and can I just say, in the description of one of her videos where she talks about upcoming products, she writes:

"NEON COLLECTION (the brightest most saturated pigment on earth will start selling at ilovescandalous dot com this spring. Priscilla and Professor X (our chemist ) have finally unlocked the formula for the most saturated colors on earth. 6 months in the making. )"

Professor X? More like Lady Burd or one of your other suppliers. She is such a scammer! She doesn't make the products!

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa
I've been watching the video showed here at page 12...

Is it just me or the girl just wear TOO MUCH makeup?
She looks like a clown...
Is there a market for that?
I love bold looks, but that's too much IMO

yucky.gif

@HeavenLeiBlu : what accent are you talking about?
It's just that since english isnt my first language, I don't really notice hers...

I was at first speaking about panacea81 (sp). aka Lauren Luke.... I think maybe she's Scottish, but I can't really tell... her speech seems very clipped, but when I went into my rant, I was also thinking of heavy New Yawk ( New York) accents, heavy Southern accents ( except Texas, I love to hear Texans speak, LOL), and just lazy or overwrought speech in general. I can't stand it when people don't enunciate. For some reason I can deal with accents from non-native English speakers, but otherwise, it bothers me.

Mzchio

I got the base recently through their product website. I found the base is a labeled "light," are there medium and dark as well. The product claimed to be creaseproof, smudgeproof. I didn't see any real fallout, it adhered the shadow pretty good and made the color vivid. Pictures below.
mac_addict.gif
GEDC0548.jpg

GEDC0559.jpg

Colors:
MAC Gesso
Primary Yellow Pigment (pro) with Mixing Medium (pro)
MAC Carbon
MAC Nylon

What do you guys think?

Latest posts