skinny girls have it rough too! (no hating please)

JamaicanDiva2

Thank You!!! I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS!!!

I'm 5'3" & weigh about 93 lbs. and I CONSTANTLY have to hear about how i'm too skinny, etc...I get teased/questioned about having an eating disorder CONSTANTLY from everyone - family, friends, and strangers. I don't look too skinny, however, in my opinion at least -I'm a full size C cup! (Yes they're real! lol)

Although I wouldn't mind weighing about 10 lbs more I'm fine w/ my weight & don't care what ppl think, it just gets frustrating having to hear about it constantly.

It's like our society thinks it's wrong to talk about fat ppl, however you can talk about skinny ppl as much as you like! I don't understand it...the only thing that I think matters is how healthy you are, and I eat right, exercise, and lead a healthy lifestyle, so...I don't really see what the big deal is!!!

JamaicanDiva2

Earlier this year, I was at work, at the mall, and I was working the fitting rooms.

A customer who was waiting for someone trying something on, looked at me and said, "So what, do you eat like once a week or something?!" and then looked at me w/ a smile, like it was a funny joke or something...

I was just SPEECHLESS....I didn't know what to say...I just stared and finally managed to stammer, "No...I eat every day...several times..." before almost running to our closet to hide!!!

This was probably one of the meanest comments I've received, but I try not to let it get to me, b/c I think ppl are generally just clueless and insensitive...I honestly don't think he was trying to be cruel...ppl just think it's ok to make fun of skinnier ppl w/o realizing that we have our own body insecurities too...

hello_kitty

^^ That's just terrible!

All my life and up through college I was really thin, no matter how much I ate. At a job I held in college they'd leave articles about eating disorders out when they knew I'd be in the break room. Like WTF?!? Did they not see how much I would eat? Yet heaven forbid anybody say something to someone of heavier weight at that place...

Another thing I get is "oh, you're skinny, you don't need to work out." So not true! Being thin doesn't automatically equal being in good physical shape people!! I'm horribly out of shape (as in a flight of stairs gets me winded) so I don't like the assumption that I must automatically be in perfect shape because I'm thin. I have overweight friends, one who is well into the obese range, that can out exercise me any day! *shakes fist*

Austrian_Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLongLashesx
The hurtful comments are made out of jealousy, pure and simple.

Try not to take it to heart and just keep in mind the motivation for why people are say those horrible things. Your thinness probably makes them feel a little bad about themselves, but that's not your fault.

love.gif

I agree, most of the "you´re too skinny" comments come from people who are not skinny. It probably pisses them off that some of us are naturally skinny, while they have to work very hard to keep the pounds off. If I had to count every single calorie and constantly deprive myself I´d be jealous of us naturally skinny girls too!!!
So yeah, I understand where they´re coming from.

Oh, and the "real women" thing...being a woman isn´t just defined by how many pounds we weigh. When somebody says size zero girls aren´t "real women" I could just as easily say "well, a 200 pound woman is just a real woman covered in fat".
The aesthetics of being skinny or fat is not the most important thing, what matters to me is health!!!

Austrian_Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillintheblank
People used to say all sorts of rude things to my sister until she hit puberty because she was really thin. She used to get really upset and tell us that she was ugly because she was so skinny. A nine year old of ANY weight should not be thinking they are ugly because of people's comments on their bodies.

I can't believe some of you ladies get asked if you have eating disorders! How is that EVER okay?!

wow that is so sad. Kids can be so many to anybody who is different, whether it be too skinny or to fat

As a heavier girl I can understand how you feel at least. We may get to the point differently but I think we can understand each other's emotions. Do people just talk smack about you or do they treat you differently too?
ssad.gif

shatteredshards

I used to be like that, I ate so much and never gained weight, I was curvy "in the right places" and had major issues getting jeans to fit me because if they could contain my tush, they had no chance of actually staying on my waist!

And then around 18-19 my metabolism flipped the heck out, and I kissed those days goodbye.
winks.gif

The only time I find myself wanting to say something about a skinny gal is when it's some likely-to-be-coked-out actress/model/singer and I'm hearing others idolize her. We're all different, but being gangly to the point where it is unhealthy should not be idolized and is not beautiful.

gildedangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePinky82
Do people just talk smack about you or do they treat you differently too?
ssad.gif

People sometimes treat me differently, especially when I am shopping for clothes. For example I get ignored in every Victoria's Secret. Everyone with boobs gets helped but I sure don't (I am a 32A). It is worse with my mother though. She is pretty thin and fairly short, about 105 lbs and 5' 2", so finding adult clothing that fits is a hard task for her. She went into Macy's once to shop for clothing with my father, and the SA who was helping her told her, "Maybe you should go shop in the children's section". If I had been there, I would have asked to see her manager and demanded an apology. You don't treat people like that, and you especially don't treat customers like that. For the most part it is smack talk and dirty looks; I try to ignore it. I have countless storied like that sadly.

supermodella

I have a friend that whenever I wear anything that exposes my legs or arms, she always says stuff like "Oh, you look like you just have twigs coming out of your pants, haha!" Like, I know she's joking, but it's hurtful since when I say "I'm not that skinny ..." (because I'm not, she's even thinner than me!) she fights me on it.

I weigh 110 pounds and I'm 5'7 1/2. It's not like I'm starving myself, so stop making me feel anorexic!

supermodella

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedBeauty
I know what you girls mean. People hate a lot on the skinny girls and always assume we have eating disorders. I'm 5'5" and I just barely got up to 124 pounds and i've still had people tell me "you need to put a little meat on you". It just really bugs me but in the same hand I don't give a F**k what they think ya know? As long as you're comfortable with your body then thats all that matters. And remember, muscle weighs more than fat. So if you wanna gain weight maybe do some light weight lifting??

I'm sorry to go off topic, but how did you get your signature so long?! I can't even get it past what I have right now. :[

gildedangel

Yep, I am bumping this thread again. Sorry, but I really wanted to share this. Usually I really enjoy Shane Dawson's videos, and when I began watching this video I thought that it was a good topic, discussing magazine images and body images and the effects of our society seeing them. I agree that not just skinny people, but people of all weights, shapes and sizes should be portrayed in magazines and that you should accept your body for what it is and just try to be healthy and happy. However, at :50 to :55 and from 2:00 onto about 2:30 the video turns into a "let's bash skinny people" party. I literally cried at this.

YouTube - THE PERFECT BODY?

(Response to :50-:55) Yes, some girls in the modelling industry do have eating disorders, but how dare you look upon someone with an eating disorder with disdain, it is a serious disease. And how dare you even make that assumption about those models, not all skinny people have eating disorders; it is people like you who make it ok to bash skinny people and to make stupid assumptions about them.

(Response to 2:00 to 2:30) Who looks like this? I do, and so does the girl in the picture. Thanks for telling me that my body type looks disgusting and that I need to gain weight; that makes me feel real warm and fuzzy inside.
cry.gif

I don't understand why it is deemed ok to tell a skinny girl to eat a hamburger when it is offensive to tell an overweight girl to not eat that hamburger. They may be different ends to the spectrum, but the same feelings are hurt. And because society deems skinny as being "perfect" (which it is not), apparently that makes it ok to make fun of skinny girls, because skinny girls don't have feelings right? Feelings are totally stored in fat cells :/

Sorry about the rant, this just really upset me and I needed to vent. This video has made me all kinds of pissed and depressed.

xxManBeaterxx

Most famous line: "Girl-lllll go eat a hamburger or something"
and..
"I am a 'real' woman 'real' woman have curves"

Whether your skinny, curvaceous, big, tall or small it's not our place to judge. You may not hear people tell big girls to not eat a hamburger, but they got their own set of problems skinny girls don't have to deal with. Everybody has something they wish they could change about themselves...

DILLIGAF

Just think about how much editing he did to get things to reflect his point of view. What we need to do is teach each other to be accepting of our bodies. Once you are able to love yourself you will find it so much easier to love others. I'm the Amazon in my family and I'm ok with that
smiles.gif

Kragey

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteredshards
We're all different, but being gangly to the point where it is unhealthy should not be idolized and is not beautiful.

I feel the same way. I also feel that being morbidly obese should not be applauded in most cases.

I'm thin, and I've written about this subject several times. Suffice to say that I feel people should strive to be healthy and be happy with their bodies, but no one side should demonize the other just to make themselves feel better. Every time I hear somebody go, "Yeah, we big girls get our own show, screw the skinny bitches!" (paraphrasing that from an actual tweet that started a HUGE fight on Twitter between me and this woman about the subject*), all I can think is, "How is that any different from skinny people putting big people down?"

And I agree about the "real woman" comments, too. I'm a real woman and I LOVE LOVE LOVE food, I'm just very petite, so it annoys the crap out of me when I hear, "We're plus-sized, so we're REAL women!" Um...I'm glad you're proud of your figure, and I totally support that, but I have a right to be proud, too. You don't have to be "plus-sized" to be a real woman.

You know, my twin brother and I BOTH were teased and BOTH had to go on special diets when we were younger, me because I was so thin and him because he was so fat. I had to eat a lot of breads and carbs, which I'm honestly not huge on (I really do love vegetables), and I broke out in hives several times because of all the sugar I had to eat. My brother was restricted from eating bread, one of his favorite things in the world, and had to exercise like CRAZY. (He loves exercising now, but at the time, the amount was really ruining his social life.) It was terrible for BOTH of us, but because I'm "so thin" and that's what's "in" now, people always act like I have no right to complain. If my brother can look back at those terrible years and admit that the teasing upset him, why can't I? That's completely unfair.

Suffice to say that I think EVERYBODY gets treated poorly for how they look, even the "gorgeous ones," because the world is very cruel. And acting like somebody can't "understand your pain" just because they never went through the exact same thing is ridiculous; if that was the way people thought, there would be no majorly successful charities or activist groups.

* We made up later on, but it doesn't change the fact that these Tweets really insulted me. A few of them:

9h4abo.jpg

Also, after her first "skinny waifs" comment, I asked her for clarification, then said, "Oh, OK! That's fine, I understand." She took it to the next level and really annoyed a lot of people with it, especially when she lambasted me for no reason and ended with an @ to me that said "Suck THAT." I then responded by clarifying my opinion and added that I wasn't attacking her, nor do I agree with media portrayals of women, I was just explaining my position, but she kept being snide to me. Again, we've made up, but I just wanted to point out that plenty of people think skinny folks never have problems, and that's just not right. She deleted her Tweets later on.

gildedangel

^^ In response to her last tweet, some of us skinny ladies do struggle with our weight. I too had to go on a special diet when I was younger (thank goodness I like bread!) where I had to eat a lot of bread and dairy. When I get sick I drop weight like a lead balloon, and it has gotten really dangerous for me a couple of times. I struggle with my weight, it is very difficult for me to gain weight and in my case that is not a good thing! I am glad that you both made up. Sometimes people just don't think about what it is like to be on the other side of the fence; after all everything is perfect over there right? I hope one day that we can all learn to be okay with happy, healthy bodies and realize that we all have our problems and difficulties.
smiles.gif

Cupid

Finally! People who UNDERSTAND what I have been going through!!!

For as long as I can remember people have accused me of having an eating disorder. I vividly recall one of my childhood friend's mother calling my mom to discuss how she thought I was 'starving' myself because I had a huge appetite but didn't seem to gain any weight. The sad thing is my friend actually kind of believed that I might have had an eating disorder too!
I always get the 'you're too skinny.'

I am 5'5 1/2 and currently 107. I have been 107 since high school.

People now constantly believe I am skinny because I am a vegetarian, which is nonsense...because I have been 107 prior to going veg. While I do eat healthy foods, I'm notorious for eating junk food too. I often get the most criticism from my black community too, for lacking any sort of curves.

I try not to complain about being too skinny, as most people roll their eyes and think I'm ridiculous. I am lucky to have natural C cups and a bit of a teeny tiny butt...but honestly if I could I would LOVE to be more curvy. My goal weight would be like 115. I have done all sorts of things to try and gain weight, but unfortunately nothing ever seems to work.

It's a double standard though. People think they can say 'you're too skinny' but hell if someone said 'you're too fat' it would unleash all sorts of drama.

I was hoping that when I got older Id get a bit more curvy but no luck, now Im hoping when I have children my hips will expand and give me a more curvy figure, if that doesn't work well Ive just run out of ideas lol

euphrosyne_rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06290714
I have a hard time finding clothes too, it sucks! Especially now that I'm 127lbs and short. I have a real small waist (a size 25) and short legs, but thick thighs, wide hips, and a big tush. My tush typically fits in a size 7 in juniors but the waist is usually 5 times too big. Blaaaaah.

AMEN to that! I'm about 5'1 or so and right now weigh about 120 lbs which is normal for me with no exercising. I have a stomach condition called Ulcerative Colitis which when it flares, causes me to drop weight off and on. I've gone down to 104 lbs because of it and had people tell me I'm "too skinny". I have a couple of friends who have struggled with weight loss and they are losing weight and doing great at it, but I hate hearing the "skinny bitch" term or "if I were you're size, I'd..." if I complain about a certain body part or how I look. Just because I don't have issues per se with my weight, doesn't mean I'm happy with certain parts of my body. To me, you can't look at a person and say you'd wear a certain thing or feel a certain way if you looked like them b/c you can't know how that person feels or thinks about their body and they can't know for certain that even if they did look that certain way that they'd still want to or feel comfortable wearing certain things.

I also have a small waist but a big butt and thighs so I'd love to do something about toning those parts. Finding jeans is a pain b/c if it fits in the waist, it's WAY too tight in the butt and thighs but if it fits in the butt and thights, it gaps like crazy in the waist. I also have a slight roundness to my tummy so I hate low rise jeans but it's like these days that's all that's out there. The jeans that fit me best right now are Lucky Brand's Sweet N Low fit but they do stretch so I have to wear a belt b/c usually about 2 hours or so after walking around, they start to fall down on me b/c the waist is too big. Ugh.
th_dunno.gif

rapple

I hate skinny-shaming! As long as you are healthy (and your doctor thinks so too), it shouldn't matter what you weigh. I feel bad when I see instagramers and other various internet trolls writing "eat a cheeseburger" or something on a normal looking girl. What would they say to me in real life?

FYI, I'm discovering first hand that it's still quite difficult to put on weight even when you are pregnant! I've never been able to gain weight before and I'm still not having an easy time of it. I started out my pregnancy at 109 pounds (I'm 5'5" or so) and am now 7 months and 123 pounds. My doctors don't seem concerned and my baby is healthy, but I keep reading about how not putting on enough weight can lead to pre-term labor, and that worries me. I still look like I have the same body as before, just with a little round ball sticking out front (which is dang cute I have to say). I guess I should be happy, but I worry every morning when I step on the scale that I'm not gaining enough. I eat a TON too. Some women's bodies just don't metabolize food at a "normal" rate, I suppose.