WOC: The Hair Thread

sss215

ORS was the first edge control I ever tried. It had amazing hold, but after the second day of using it, and sparingly, there was so much flaking and buildup. I had to ditch it unfortunately. I dragged myself to the drugstore and after going almost crazy I settle on a bunch of Creme of Nature products. I got the shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, leave in and argan oil. Man, it was not cheap so I hope it works. Although, it wouldn't be the first time I've wasted money on trying something new. I was looking for Keracare and their edge control, but I guess I have to go to a beauty supply for that. I got the Elasta QP Glaze for the edges.
I don't recall seeing a packet or the edge control. I saw their relaxer and that was it outside of the stuff I picked up. I had to realize they had shampoos in the same packaging, but they did different things. I almost got the one for fine brittle hair. I preferred the dry hair and flaky scalp one b/c my hair isn't fine or brittle. I went through a ton of written and video reviews of Hicks last night. I came across some negative ones, but I will give it a try I think. I have to find it first. I do want to use Keracare first, though.
Try Aveda's Control Paste for a long lasting, soft hold. It really keeps edges in place. Hicks, ORS, and all the rest seem to breakdown from my body heat. Aveda's doesn't. Castor oil and a scarf always does the trick as well

sss215

Hey, I haven't been following this thread closely at all, but maybe you guys can help. I have relaxed hair and I've been using the pantene shampoos and conditioners for women of color w/ relaxed hair. It's been fine, but I can't help but think there's something better out there. Anyone have any recommendations for shampoos, conditioners, leave ins, scalp treatments, anything hair related for relaxed hair? Or is there already a thread for that that I'm missing?
My relaxed hair was the healthiest when I started to use shampoos with no sulfates. Over the 4 years I've been sulfate free, my hair has been its healthiest. I don't relax my hair anymore, but I color and highlight. Sulfate free shampoos are a must now.
I've switched to the As I Am products and I'm very pleased with them after using them for a few months. I made an effort to get them from Sally's when they had the $2 off sale. I was a bit shocked at the prices when I first saw them. I was expecting them to be cheaper because they were at Sally's. I only bought the Curl Clarity Shampoo, Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner, and the Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner. I haven't used the Curl Clarity Shampoo yet. I use the Coconut CoWash as my shampoo, then the Hydration Elation to condition. My hair feels really moisturized after using those two products. I haven't done much else with my hair like I wanted. Things have been so busy for me the past few months that a ponytail is still all I can manage. My son graduates high school Tuesday, so I think I'll make an effort to do something besides a ponytail.
I love As I Am products. I use the Coconut CoWash, Hydration Elation, Double Butter and Smoothing Gel. I love those and a few moisturizing products from Bee Mine, and Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade. I also like Luv Natural's cleanser. There is one more hair line I want to try, My Honey Child. I'm intrigued. Congratulations to you son!
What test are you talking about and how can I take it? I think my hair is one way and then it decides to change its mind and be something else. Were you able to take the test? Are you low or high? When I found out my hair had low porosity, I did the baking soda treatment and was amazed about how well my conditioning products worked afterwards. Did you get that steamer? How do you like it if you did? I'm still thinking about picking one up.

CartoonChic

Congratulations to you son!
Thanks! I initially tried As I Am because of you and DILLIGAF. So glad I did! My hair seems to love the stuff. I washed my hair with it last night. I won't even begin to talk about the sorry state my hair was in before I washed it. I was able to detangle a lot easier than I expected and my hair feels so moisturized. I think I'm going to take advantage of one of those 20% off online Sally's coupons and will try the DoubleButter Cream next.

What do you think of the Luv Naturals line? I told myself I was going to buy her entire line as soon as it launched, then I lost interest.

CartoonChic

I dragged myself to the drugstore and after going almost crazy I settle on a bunch of Creme of Nature products. I got the shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, leave in and argan oil. Man, it was not cheap so I hope it works. Although, it wouldn't be the first time I've wasted money on trying something new. I was looking for Keracare and their edge control, but I guess I have to go to a beauty supply for that. I got the Elasta QP Glaze for the edges.
OMG, you just took me back! Creme of Nature is all I would use back in the day. I loved their moisturizing detangling shampoo, but it didn't quite work the same on my hair after they changed the formula. *sigh* And I remember taking globs of Elasta QP, wetting my boar bristled brush, and trying to slick my hair back until you could see my thoughts.
ohboy.gif

VampyCouture

I dragged myself to the drugstore and after going almost crazy I settle on a bunch of Creme of Nature products. I got the shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, leave in and argan oil. Man, it was not cheap so I hope it works. Although, it wouldn't be the first time I've wasted money on trying something new. I was looking for Keracare and their edge control, but I guess I have to go to a beauty supply for that. I got the Elasta QP Glaze for the edges.
OMG, you just took me back! Creme of Nature is all I would use back in the day. I loved their moisturizing detangling shampoo, but it didn't quite work the same on my hair after they changed the formula. *sigh* And I remember taking globs of Elasta QP, wetting my boar bristled brush, and trying to slick my hair back until you could see my thoughts.
ohboy.gif
lol.gif

I don't use the Elasta QP glaze, but their moisturizer and deep conditioner is the truth!! I use their moisturizer when I want to refresh/remoisturize my curls

Copperhead

ohboy.gif
lol.gif

shontay07108

OMG, you just took me back! Creme of Nature is all I would use back in the day. I loved their moisturizing detangling shampoo, but it didn't quite work the same on my hair after they changed the formula. *sigh* And I remember taking globs of Elasta QP, wetting my boar bristled brush, and trying to slick my hair back until you could see my thoughts. :eek:hboy:
:lol: I washed my hair last night and the first impression of the Creme of Nature products is all good so far. My hair is softer than it's ever been when washing it myself. I probably have to do another relaxer in about 3 weeks, but my hair is so soft right now I think I can hold off on it. I just washed my hair and wrapped it up to let it air dry. I also used the Elasta QP and the Argan Oil. The Elasta QP isn't a strong hold on my edges, but it's OK for now. The search will continue.

Copperhead

I was getting ready to try a new brand of haircolor but decided to wait until one night this week. This is my hair today. Ya'll can't see it but there are lots of gray and other colors in there. LOL!

sss215

Thanks! I initially tried As I Am because of you and DILLIGAF. So glad I did! My hair seems to love the stuff. I washed my hair with it last night. I won't even begin to talk about the sorry state my hair was in before I washed it. I was able to detangle a lot easier than I expected and my hair feels so moisturized. I think I'm going to take advantage of one of those 20% off online Sally's coupons and will try the DoubleButter Cream next. What do you think of the Luv Naturals line? I told myself I was going to buy her entire line as soon as it launched, then I lost interest.
I like Luv Naturals. I tried the cleanser which has tea tree and mint in it so my scalp gets a nice treat. And the conditioner has amazing slip. Actually both products have great slip, and a little goes along way so I feel like its a great value. I haven't tried the leave in and detangler yet, but I will this summer. I am really happy with the the items I've used so far. So glad As I Am is available locally. I like to mix them with my on line only products. Waiting for products to ship can be annoying some times. I see that some of the local beauty supplies sell the more boutique-ish natural hair products like Carol'sDaughter, Jane Carter, As I Am and Miss Jessie's now. I still try to buy as many natural hair products that I can from the original company and with the exception of As I Am, I don't use those products anyway.
:lol: I washed my hair last night and the first impression of the Creme of Nature products is all good so far. My hair is softer than it's ever been when washing it myself. I probably have to do another relaxer in about 3 weeks, but my hair is so soft right now I think I can hold off on it. I just washed my hair and wrapped it up to let it air dry. I also used the Elasta QP and the Argan Oil. The Elasta QP isn't a strong hold on my edges, but it's OK for now. The search will continue.
Check out the Aveda Control Paste. It's the best!

MissTT

Love the vids! Thanks you. How long do you leave clips in? I'm thinking one week max so you can wash it. (Says the girl who could barely keep a 2 wk wash schedule.)

Like Copperhead I am very lazy about messing with my hair. I've almost considered going to the salon weekly to get my hair washed. I figured it was worth the money if I want healthy hair, but have zero interest in maintaining it myself. Old ladies are on to something...
I'd put it on my scalp, but I guess with it running down, it'll get on my hair.. IDK I'll tryusing it again

lol... noooo I plan on straightening my hair first and blending. but I also want to make clipins with curly weave.

here are a couple vids showing how to install and blend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm_3zXTfNaQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyohck1DtVc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdVZUotCRq0

leahrenae

Love the vids! Thanks you. How long do you leave clips in? I'm thinking one week max so you can wash it. (Says the girl who could barely keep a 2 wk wash schedule.)

Like Copperhead I am very lazy about messing with my hair. I've almost considered going to the salon weekly to get my hair washed. I figured it was worth the money if I want healthy hair, but have zero interest in maintaining it myself. Old ladies are on to something...
they should be taken out every night, not to be slept in. if they're worn for too long, they could potentially pull and break your hair off.

hey... if I had the extra cash (and patience), I'd definitely go to a stylist on a weekly basis!

VampyCouture

Omg that all ya'll do is talk make up,im gonna ban her from this shit. lol
Sorry guys about this I'm going to have to kick my bf's butt.
lol.gif

My shampoo bars should be coming today! Other than that, my hair is currently in a bun as a protective style. I've been so lazy this week.

Richelle83

Quote: Originally Posted by VampyCouture

My shampoo bars should be coming today! Other than that, my hair is currently in a bun as a protective style. I've been so lazy this week.

That was quick!! Be prepared for not much lather and a weird feeling afterwards.

VampyCouture

That was quick!! Be prepared for not much lather and a weird feeling afterwards.
Okay, thanks Richelle for that. It's good to know what to expect when I wash with it. Btw, how's the smell of them? Yeah, I live literally between Missouri and Kansas (near the state line) and they are in Ohio, so it got here pretty fast.

Richelle83

Quote: Originally Posted by VampyCouture

Okay, thanks Richelle for that. It's good to know what to expect when I wash with it. Btw, how's the smell of them? Yeah, I live literally between Missouri and Kansas (near the state line) and they are in Ohio, so it got here pretty fast.

Let me pull out my box here lol

Very mild herbal scent to no scent at all. If you buy full size I recommend as most do to cut them in 3's right when you get them.

sagehen

@ Vampy - that weird feeling that you get while your hair adjusts to the shampoo bars is easily taken care of with a cup of water and a tbsp of apple cider vinegar added to it. Spray or pour over your hair and rinse with cold water. BAM! (sorry, I just watched an old Emeril Lagasse video)

Latest posts