WOC: The Hair Thread

shontay07108

Lol Yikes! I'll pass :sweat: I think you really don't need vitamins for healthy hair. Just eat right and have the proper nutritional intake.
I've never had any of that going for me and I always had healthy hair. Maybe youth was on my side with a splash of decent genes. We'll see what happens as I turn into an old bag. :lol: Anyway, I love the Cantu Shea Butter oil sheen, so I tried their pomade which is supposed to hold hair in place, your edges and all that. Man, it did a whole lot of nothing. Sucks so bad. I've gone back to the Argan Oil. I didn't find the Aveda edge control when I went out and online searches are giving me a price to $20+. No way, man. Also, Cantu has a daily moisturizer that is so heavy. I mean, it does it's job b/c my hair felt moisturized, but I would really only use it after washing. I'll stick to my Pantene. Much, much lighter for everyday use.

Richelle83

Also, Cantu has a daily moisturizer that is so heavy. I mean, it does it's job b/c my hair felt moisturized, but I would really only use it after washing. I'll stick to my Pantene. Much, much lighter for everyday use.
Your just lucky!

Curls control paste at Target seems to work and Oyin Handmade's Burnt Sugar works well for me.

shontay07108

Your just lucky! Curls control paste at Target seems to work and Oyin Handmade's Burnt Sugar works well for me.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look for those. I always said heaven help me if what I put in my body manifests itself on the outside. I can say the only positive thing I do now is drink a lot of water. It's a chore, but I do it.

sss215

I've never had any of that going for me and I always had healthy hair. Maybe youth was on my side with a splash of decent genes. We'll see what happens as I turn into an old bag. :lol: Anyway, I love the Cantu Shea Butter oil sheen, so I tried their pomade which is supposed to hold hair in place, your edges and all that. Man, it did a whole lot of nothing. Sucks so bad. I've gone back to the Argan Oil. I didn't find the Aveda edge control when I went out and online searches are giving me a price to $20+. No way, man. Also, Cantu has a daily moisturizer that is so heavy. I mean, it does it's job b/c my hair felt moisturized, but I would really only use it after washing. I'll stick to my Pantene. Much, much lighter for everyday use.
It lasts forever and a little goes along way. That sold me on it. You can always sample it at Aveda.

shontay07108

I just checked the directory of my favorite mall and they have an Aveda store. I was already planning a trip up there tomorrow, so I will check it out. Somehow, it popped into my head that I must've seen that store someplace before. I walk right by it all the damn time. ETA: sss215, do you know anything about their holding sprays? I need one with firm hold w/ turning my hair to a crisp.

leahrenae

Here are the products I have to give away.. PM if you're interested

never used

used 1-2x about 80-90% full

aussie and dove conditioners never used

VampyCouture

Also, Cantu has a daily moisturizer that is so heavy. I mean, it does it's job b/c my hair felt moisturized, but I would really only use it after washing. I'll stick to my Pantene. Much, much lighter for everyday use.
haha I know what you mean. I haven't felt the need to take any until I started working out a bit more (which is like 2-3x a week
lol.gif
) I love Cantu products! They smell so good and leave my hair extremely soft.

sss215

I just checked the directory of my favorite mall and they have an Aveda store. I was already planning a trip up there tomorrow, so I will check it out. Somehow, it popped into my head that I must've seen that store someplace before. I walk right by it all the damn time. ETA: sss215, do you know anything about their holding sprays? I need one with firm hold w/ turning my hair to a crisp.
I used to use the Aveda Brilliant Medium Hold Hair Spray when my hair was short and I needed the sided to lay. I liked the hold, but my hair can't handle too much buildup anymore so I had to stop buying it. I swear I can only use a drop of holding spray, by any brand before my hair is smothered and doesn't behave. But, if I really have to, Elnet, by Loreal is excellent! It's a classic! I buy the small can because I rarely use it. I also like Shaper by Sebastian. My hair stylist uses that.

TXBeautyBaby

I picked up Miss Jessie Pillow Soft Curls last night, a customer was telling me it did a good job of keeping her curls soft. Has anyone else tried it?

shontay07108

I got the Aveda control paste yesterday. At first I thought it was a massive mistake because it wasn't doing anything. Then, common sense hit me and I said I should wash my hair and start fresh. Well, I applied the paste after my hair dried, wrapped it up and honey..my hair is laid. Nothing else I've tried has worked like this after taking the same steps. Shout out to you sss215. I'm very happy with this product. It's not heavy or greasy. It lays my edges without making them crispy or look weird. It has an unusual smell, but it's not bad. I'm actually intrigued by it. Good stuff.

Copperhead

I got the Aveda control paste yesterday. At first I thought it was a massive mistake because it wasn't doing anything. Then, common sense hit me and I said I should wash my hair and start fresh. Well, I applied the paste after my hair dried, wrapped it up and honey..my hair is laid. Nothing else I've tried has worked like this after taking the same steps. Shout out to you sss215. I'm very happy with this product. It's not heavy or greasy. It lays my edges without making them crispy or look weird. It has an unusual smell, but it's not bad. I'm actually intrigued by it. Good stuff.
Let us know how it does after you've applied it in the same spot more than once. Like if you see any flaking at all. After the reviews from the ladies here I'm thinking this may be the best edge control holder.

sagehen

Quote:Originally Posted by Copperhead

Let us know how it does after you've applied it in the same spot more than once. Like if you see any flaking at all. After the reviews from the ladies here I'm thinking this may be the best edge control holder.

PBI: I promise there will be no flaking. I love this product too. This and Darcy's Botanicals coconut cupuacu pomade keep edges so under control.

shontay07108

I applied just a little bit more in the same spots when I unwrapped my hair, but not too much(really didn't need to). I'm going to do the same tomorrow, so I'll report back then.

sss215

Glad you like it!!!

sss215

No flaking ever! Oh and keep the lid tight! It lasts a long time, but if its left a smidge unopened, it can dry out. I know the marshmallow in it, stretches hair. I've found marshmallow root to be an ingredient in hair detanglers and stuff. Castor oil lays hair really well. And flax, well it has holding properties, as evidenced by people making homemade flax seed gels. You can find the recipe for a flax seed gel everywhere online now.

MissTT

Can anyone recommend a good co-wash for color-treated, fine hair? Something that won't make the hair greasy and is pretty readily available in stores. Thanks! For some reason we had a really hard time finding sulfate-free products in Wal-mart and Target this weekend.

sagehen

Can anyone recommend a good co-wash for color-treated, fine hair? Something that won't make the hair greasy and is pretty readily available in stores. Thanks! For some reason we had a really hard time finding sulfate-free products in Wal-mart and Target this weekend.
Fine, color-treated hair here: I like Tresemme Naturals for this, and I like the Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus shampoo for this. It feels like a cowash - it only cleanses with beet sugar-derived cleansers and is a light wash that helps detangle a bit. Also, Vo5 Shea Cashmere condish, the kiwi one, and the new coconut one (they are trying to copy Suave - I find the Vo5 Coconut in the 99cents only store)

DILLIGAF

Fine, color-treated hair here: I like Tresemme Naturals for this, and I like the Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus shampoo for this. It feels like a cowash - it only cleanses with beet sugar-derived cleansers and is a light wash that helps detangle a bit. Also, Vo5 Shea Cashmere condish, the kiwi one, and the new coconut one (they are trying to copy Suave - I find the Vo5 Coconut in the 99cents only store)
I want to throw in The AS I AM Coconut Co-wash! Tried it on a whim and ended up loving it.

shontay07108

So just to update quickly: used more of the control paste this morning and it's still all good. No flaking, not heavy and the hold is still great. It makes me want to explore the brand more, but I have to do a lot of researching first.