WOC: The Hair Thread

LouGarner

The size of the curls (4C) doesn't affect the hair as much as the porosity and texture do (is your hair fine? coarse? in between?) What works for one 4C with fine, highly porous hair will not work for one with coarse, non-porous hair. Can you give us some more detail? Oh, and how much work do you want to put into it (do your mix your own products? do you want to buy off the shelf?)?
my hair is in between. I used Shea moisture shampoo and conditioner and wash my hair once a week. I work out daily and I put leave in conditioner in my hair. I used a shea butter, EVOO, coconut oil, and Moroccan oil mixture in my hair after I wash it. it just always seems to be dry no matter what I put in my hair.

sagehen

my hair is in between. I used Shea moisture shampoo and conditioner and wash my hair once a week. I work out daily and I put leave in conditioner in my hair. I used a shea butter, EVOO, coconut oil, and Moroccan oil mixture in my hair after I wash it. it just always seems to be dry no matter what I put in my hair.
Let me ask you this: you work out daily, is it strenuous? Do you rinse the sweat from your scalp? Like, do you co-wash with that conditioner or just put the leave-in on dry hair? Could you try spritzing your hair with water and then adding the leave-in?

Also, the Shea Moisture products are not strong enough to remove the buildup caused by the shea butter and the silicone in the Moroccan oil. You need a shampoo with at least coco betaine to remove the silicone buildup from the Moroccan oil. I seriously think you should try: 1) a chelating shampoo once a month to remove the salts and buildup from your hair completely (deep condition with a moisturising treatment after this) and 2) deep condition a couple times monthly. Now, as far as products, that's up to you, but if you use Shea Moisture already, their curl enhancing smoothie makes a good deep treatment (check the jar - the suggest it) and you can spruce up with oils as you see fit, or not, depending on how that works for you. Or, take a regular conditioner and put in a tbsp of oil and a tbsp of honey, let that sit under a cap for like 30 min and voila.

I have just lost my train of thought...try a couple of things from above and let us know how that works or does not, and we can help you tweak along the regimen. If I remember what else I meant to say, I will come back and post. HTH

luvlydee

I stop caring about what number curls i am lol i have Different curls when my hair is wet but i have dry hair and it straightens into a fro. And honestly i like the fro look better so i dont really put products in my hair and my hair is still soft. Its just a fro though. Ive been wearing it straight for awhile now and ive been getting annoyed because when i go to the gym my roots just end up looking a mess compared to the rest of my hair. So this week I said F it and just jumped in the shower (used my shea moisture shampoo and conditioner) got out, used some shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie, hours later after being out and my hair got dry i used a hair pick and combed out my whole head so it can be a fro (back of my hair is super curly so even with the pick ull still see some curls lol. But at least its more even all around cuz the top of my hair has like no curl pattern at all lmao

VampyCouture

I cowashed today with As I Am Coconut Cowash and conditioned with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa. Loving these products. Just picked up Nourish Spa and Tea Tree Tingle a few weeks ago and I love the Nourish Spa. Haven't tried TTT yet though!

Lipstickjunkii

I love Shea Moisture products. These days I keep my routine very simple with Shea Moisture curl and style milk with a spritz of water in my hair for the summer months/coconut oil on some days. In the winter months, I use the Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie or deep treatment masque as daily moisturizers. I wash with Shea Moisture shampoo/Yes to carrots and deep condition with Herbal Essences hello hydration (LOVE this)/Yes to Carrots conditioner. That's pretty much my routine these days.

Balanced23

Hi.

I've been reading through the thread and was hoping that some of you could give me some advice. Over the last 2 years I've been trying to take better care of my relaxed hair. I've been doing well, but I know that I could do better. The only thing is that I'm pretty low maintenance, so I don't want to develop a really complicated hair regimen. I think you would consider my hair 4b (don't pay very much attention to hair types) and, I would say, leans a bit more towards the dry side.

I hadn't been seeing that much growth progress over the last 3-4 years, so I decided to go back to an old hair dresser and to cut my hair into a bob. I also took along the products I've been using (One 'n Only Argan Oil line), which he said were okay, but not that great. Since I don't have a lot of disposable income, I was hoping for some product suggestions that I could hopefully get from Sally Beauty Salon or Walmart. I'm debating if I should continue using the One 'n Only Argan Oil line or switch to the Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo and Moisture Extreme Conditioner. Or, maybe I should to something else. My hair dresser uses Paul Mitchell, so I was planning on using the GVP equivalent of the Paul Mitchell 'The Conditioner' leave-in. I have also been using Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion to moisturize and argan oil to seal it in.

So, if I could get any suggestions for the following, that would be great:
- Shampoo
- Conditioner
- Leave-in Conditioner
- Deep conditioner (that I can use once a week)
- Deep (protein) conditioner (that I can use once a month)
- Moisturizer
- Oil to seal in moisturizer

Thanks for any help.

Keshia :)

sagehen

Quote:Originally Posted by Balanced23

Hi.

I've been reading through the thread and was hoping that some of you could give me some advice. Over the last 2 years I've been trying to take better care of my relaxed hair. I've been doing well, but I know that I could do better. The only thing is that I'm pretty low maintenance, so I don't want to develop a really complicated hair regimen. I think you would consider my hair 4b (don't pay very much attention to hair types) and, I would say, leans a bit more towards the dry side.

I hadn't been seeing that much growth progress over the last 3-4 years, so I decided to go back to an old hair dresser and to cut my hair into a bob. I also took along the products I've been using (One 'n Only Argan Oil line), which he said were okay, but not that great. Since I don't have a lot of disposable income, I was hoping for some product suggestions that I could hopefully get from Sally Beauty Salon or Walmart. I'm debating if I should continue using the One 'n Only Argan Oil line or switch to the Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo and Moisture Extreme Conditioner. Or, maybe I should to something else. My hair dresser uses Paul Mitchell, so I was planning on using the GVP equivalent of the Paul Mitchell 'The Conditioner' leave-in. I have also been using Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion to moisturize and argan oil to seal it in.

So, if I could get any suggestions for the following, that would be great:
- Shampoo
- Conditioner
- Leave-in Conditioner
- Deep conditioner (that I can use once a week)
- Deep (protein) conditioner (that I can use once a month)
- Moisturizer
- Oil to seal in moisturizer

Thanks for any help.

Keshia :)

When I was relaxed I LOVED Creme of Nature's moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. And I still love PM The Conditoner. I would switch if I were you (aren't the CoN products cheaper too? And the shampoo really helps detangle) and I would skip the sealing step unless you think it helps, especially if you have fine hair. The oil moisturizer you mentioned has oil to seal in the moisture. My other advice is the same for relaxed, natural or otherwise: be nice to your hair. Low maintenance is fine, but try to take time and give it a nice deep conditioner to repair the damge done by chemical treatments, heat styling, the sun, whatever, and cover it up when you sleep at night (relaxed or natural, this makes a big difference for me - I have fine strands and not having them wrapped up at night causes them to rub up against and knot up with one another - this is terrible for retaining growth). Oh, and good nutrition and hydration.

Copperhead

Just recently I bought some Elasta QP products. Haven't tried them yet but saw they had some good reviews on Sally's Beauty Supply's website so I wanted to try them. Shampoo for Relaxed Hair and the Intense Fortifying Hair Conditioner. I went to 4 Sally's and another neighborhood bss trying to find that doggone conditioner and absolutely no one had it so I ended up ordering it off of Amazon. I'll try them sometime between tonight and this weekend to see if I like them or not. Anyone here ever use these 2 products?

Serenityy

Wow, I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread. All of you ladies are so helpful! I made a list of products to try out thanks to reading all the posts.
type.gif

VampyCouture

Just recently I bought some Elasta QP products. Haven't tried them yet but saw they had some good reviews on Sally's Beauty Supply's website so I wanted to try them. Shampoo for Relaxed Hair and the Intense Fortifying Hair Conditioner. I went to 4 Sally's and another neighborhood bss trying to find that doggone conditioner and absolutely no one had it so I ended up ordering it off of Amazon. I'll try them sometime between tonight and this weekend to see if I like them or not. Anyone here ever use these 2 products?
The deep conditioner in the jar? (DPR+11 or something like that) I used to use that. It worked better for my sister who has relaxed hair so I gave it to her. She loves it by the way. I didn't use it long enough, but it did make my hair extremely soft and manageable.

Balanced23

For protein, I would recommend Aphogee 2-step. It's pretty intense, but it will build up the protein in your hair that is broken down from the chemicals. Also, I agree with Sagehen, oil weighed my hair down too much so I would skip it unless you use a light oil like grapeseed oil, sweet almond oil or even olive oil. I used a lot of organic root stimulator products when I was relaxed and I like them. The hair mayonnaise is another protein treatment option and the conditioner is really nice and has great slip, plus it smelled amazing.
I've used different ORS products before, though mostly just the moisturizer and the carrot oil. I'll take a look into their hair mayonnaise. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

jdandray

So glad to have found this thread!!! I've been natural for almost 4 years (august) and I ain't going back!!! LOL.... My hair is full of curls, 3c, 4a - z. I have grown my hair from a brush cut to a little past BSL (haven't done a length recently) and am hoping to reach WL by December. I've recently created a blog to help out a few permies and curlies in my family and at church. Take a look if you would like. It's a very new blog, so not a lot of info, but slow introduction.

sss215

Hi. I've been reading through the thread and was hoping that some of you could give me some advice. Over the last 2 years I've been trying to take better care of my relaxed hair. I've been doing well, but I know that I could do better. The only thing is that I'm pretty low maintenance, so I don't want to develop a really complicated hair regimen. I think you would consider my hair 4b (don't pay very much attention to hair types) and, I would say, leans a bit more towards the dry side. I hadn't been seeing that much growth progress over the last 3-4 years, so I decided to go back to an old hair dresser and to cut my hair into a bob. I also took along the products I've been using (One 'n Only Argan Oil line), which he said were okay, but not that great. Since I don't have a lot of disposable income, I was hoping for some product suggestions that I could hopefully get from Sally Beauty Salon or Walmart. I'm debating if I should continue using the One 'n Only Argan Oil line or switch to the Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo and Moisture Extreme Conditioner. Or, maybe I should to something else. My hair dresser uses Paul Mitchell, so I was planning on using the GVP equivalent of the Paul Mitchell 'The Conditioner' leave-in. I have also been using Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion to moisturize and argan oil to seal it in. So, if I could get any suggestions for the following, that would be great: - Shampoo - Conditioner - Leave-in Conditioner - Deep conditioner (that I can use once a week) - Deep (protein) conditioner (that I can use once a month) - Moisturizer - Oil to seal in moisturizer Thanks for any help. Keshia :)
I would say the best step is to start off with a shampoo with no sulfates. Sulfates are so drying on black hair, both curly and straight. When I was relaxed I made the switch to sulfate free shampoos and it was the best choice ever for my hair. I like Loreal's sulfate free options, and Trader Joes'. The As I Am coconut cowash is moderately priced and a great hair cleanser as well. I heard Herbal Essence makes an amazing conditioner, I believe it's called Halo Hydration. VO5 makes some great ones too. Oh Tresseme Naturals and Garnier as well Listen, I feel like you can use any drug store conditioner to get moisturizing, conditioning results. You can even enhance them by adding honey and oils, like grapeseed, coconut, castor, and olive. That's the most effective and economical way to do it. Sometimes when I spent too much money on NARS, I haul drugstore conditioners and I get great results. Again, sulfate free shampoos are the key. Leave ins, I only use those when I'm not going to use a flat iron. I don't like the buildup and the way my hair feels after adding heat. Leave ins are better with heat free styling. As far as protein, does it work well in your hair. I look for conditioners with protein included. I do the extra step sometimes, but for me protein is not always necessary. Moisturizer, I like Bee Mine's. No contest. Get on their mailing list, they have sales all the time. I like to seal with Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade or Castor Oil

DILLIGAF

I like to seal with Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade or Castor Oil
I love the Hello Hydration, as a natural and even when I was relaxed. The conditioner is the best for detangling. It's pretty inexpensive and it's always on sale at either Target or Walmart. When I was relaxed I did use Paul Mitchell THE CONDITIONER as my leave in and I loved it. I got a large bottle of it at my local bss at a more than reasonable price. Like others have mentioned I didn't care for oils in my hair. I couldn't use Pink Lotion or any heavy oil sheen sprays. They were way too heavy for my hair. I used some product from Design Essentials. I can't remember the name but my hairdresser in NYC was the one that suggested it and also where I bought it. I would have to say my routine then was fairly simple.

shontay07108

I just washed my hair so I am inspired to throw in a good word about Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship conditioner. I've used it about 4 times now and it's the best conditioner I've used. I've been through a lot, but I like this conditioner for the smell, texture, the softness it gives my hair. I can't even describe it. I'm definitely sticking to this one and now I want to look into their line of shampoos.

Copperhead

I just washed my hair so I am inspired to throw in a good word about Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship conditioner. I've used it about 4 times now and it's the best conditioner I've used. I've been through a lot, but I like this conditioner for the smell, texture, the softness it gives my hair. I can't even describe it. I'm definitely sticking to this one and now I want to look into their line of shampoos.
Oooh, I've used LTR conditioner. I like it pretty much.

I finally got around to using the Elasta QP Shampoo for Relaxed Hair and the Intense Fortifying Conditioner and loved how they made my hair feel. Not to mention they smell great. The shampoo smells like tropical fruit and the conditioner smells like banana pudding. My hair didn't feel tangled when I rinsed the shampoo out. I really liked that. You know how some shampoos can leave your hair feeling a bit tangled until you put the conditioner on? Not this one.

auriannjag42

i was wondering if anyone else had anymore experience with the aveda products, which one is better for controlling frizz when your hair is curly and when your hair is straight. for the amount that your spending on these aveda products i want to get the one that i can the most out of for my money

sagehen

i was wondering if anyone else had anymore experience with the aveda products, which one is better for controlling frizz when your hair is curly and when your hair is straight. for the amount that your spending on these aveda products i want to get the one that i can the most out of for my money
Which products? The pomades?

bajandoc86

Hola ladies. Hair obsessed lady over here. LOL.

I'm natural since Oct 2011. Coarse 4a/b/c hair, high density, fine strands. I am a total diy person when it comes to my mane - except for braided extensions.
I plan to install marley braids next week - keep my hair braided up till Sept.