WOC: The Hair Thread

sagehen

I want to throw in The AS I AM Coconut Co-wash! Tried it on a whim and ended up loving it.
I have a dumb question: how do you get past the co-wash being in a big ole' jar? I don't want to dip my wet fingers in a pile of goop to wash my hair.

Pikahime

I just bought the As I Am Cowash because even though I'm texlaxed, I'm finding that products for natural hair and curly hair work best for me. Probably because my hair loves moisture so much. It was at Target, along with a BUNCH of other products I was so surprised to see there, Target is really expanding with their brands aimed toward different hair textures. I'm going to try it tonight and see if it detangles as much as everyone says. I bought it because it has Coconut extract in it and my hair has always loved Coconut oil.
Also, an update on those Carol's Daughters products. There is nothing special about those products. If anything the shampoo made my hair limp, which is basically impossible for me because it's so thick, and I haven't seen any changes with breakage. The conditioner does detangle better when I use it as a cowash, but I think it's because it has a nice slip. Carol's Daughters actually had the nerve to send me another set of the same products and charge me for it. It's going RIGHT back to them because I want nothing to do with their stuff.

VampyCouture

I have a dumb question: how do you get past the co-wash being in a big ole' jar? I don't want to dip my wet fingers in a pile of goop to wash my hair.
I use As I Am Cowash and I really like it. At first I couldn't tell if it was doing anything for me, but it's a great cowash for my hair type. I'm 4A/B/C (yes, all over the place lol) and my hair eats it up. I just use it straight from the jar, but I have heard of people putting it in applicator bottles or transferring them to empty bottles. My friend dilutes it a bit with water and uses it in an applicator bottle for ease and to save product (though you get a significant amount).

sss215

Can anyone recommend a good co-wash for color-treated, fine hair? Something that won't make the hair greasy and is pretty readily available in stores. Thanks! For some reason we had a really hard time finding sulfate-free products in Wal-mart and Target this weekend.
I use Kiehl's Sunflower Color preserving conditioner.
 I want to throw in The AS I AM Coconut Co-wash! Tried it on a whim and ended up loving it.
I love As I Am coconut co wash, but on color treated hair, the lemon and citrus extracts in it fades the color. This goes for any hair products with citrus in them. I was hurt when I found this out.

sss215

So just to update quickly: used more of the control paste this morning and it's still all good. No flaking, not heavy and the hold is still great. It makes me want to explore the brand more, but I have to do a lot of researching first.
The Brilliant anti humectant pomade is good. I love the smell and the way it moisturizes.

MissTT

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I think my daughter is about a 2B fine, color-treated so I'm trying to get her set up right. She doesn't have patience for her hair either, but wants it to be super long. She had to get 4" cut off the other day and she was mad, but she's so rough on her hair.

DILLIGAF

I love As I Am coconut co wash, but on color treated hair, the lemon and citrus extracts in it fades the color. This goes for any hair products with citrus in them. I was hurt when I found this out.
This is good to know. I plan on coloring my hair soon.

Prettypackages

Do you guys put the aveda control paste on your hair while wet or dry? I have a grey patch in the front that has a mind of it's own. I wonder if this will keep it slicked down.

shontay07108

I always put the paste on dry hair. After using this for a week or so I'd say it's best, from my experimenting, on the very edges. When I put it back a bit farther, the hold isn't as strong. It definitely holds the very edges which is what I need help with, but much more than that, I think it's a try and see sort of thing. Because I can never settle one thing I bought the Eco Styling gel, well one of them, to try on my edges. The jury is still out on that. I just washed my hair, applied it and now I've tied it down. I'll check it out later.

MissTT

Does anyone have comments on OUIDAD products? My daughter uses the Botanical Boost Refreshing Spray (I use it on wigs/hair pieces occasionally) and Climate Control Gel. I like their 12-minute Deep conditioner. I see they'll be on Hautelook tomorrow and noticed a Curl Co-Wash. Any thoughts?

sss215

I always put the paste on dry hair. After using this for a week or so I'd say it's best, from my experimenting, on the very edges. When I put it back a bit farther, the hold isn't as strong. It definitely holds the very edges which is what I need help with, but much more than that, I think it's a try and see sort of thing. That's about right, it's for edges and pieces. Great for the short hair cuts with and flippy pompadors that are trendy right now. Because I can never settle one thing I bought the Eco Styling gel, well one of them, to try on my edges. The jury is still out on that. I just washed my hair, applied it and now I've tied it down. I'll check it out later.
I love Eco styler gels
Does anyone have comments on OUIDAD products? My daughter uses the Botanical Boost Refreshing Spray (I use it on wigs/hair pieces occasionally) and Climate Control Gel. I like their 12-minute Deep conditioner. I see they'll be on Hautelook tomorrow and noticed a Curl Co-Wash. Any thoughts?
Ouidad never drew me in. I'm a packaging nut. It's so plain, lol
Do you guys put the aveda control paste on your hair while wet or dry?  I have a grey patch in the front that has a mind of it's own.  I wonder if this will keep it slicked down.  
Just dry. I use the brown gel over moisturizer on my couple of strands in between touch ups. My hair looks darker.

sss215

I know what you mean. I thought the same thing when I saw the container. I just use it as it is. Like someone else mentioned I've read how other people transfer it to other packaging to avoid getting water in the product and diluting it. This is good to know. I plan on coloring my hair soon. 
My Honey Child has some conditioners that are suppose to be great for color treated hair. I'll be ordering the sample sizes soon.

VampyCouture

I was gifted the olive oil eco styler gel a while back. They're good for defined curls, but I want something a bit more organic so I don't have to feel like I have to wash it out everytime I put it on. I'm going to try flaxseed gel next. I heard curls are poppin with that gel.

shontay07108

I was gifted the olive oil eco styler gel a while back. They're good for defined curls, but I want something a bit more organic so I don't have to feel like I have to wash it out everytime I put it on. I'm going to try flaxseed gel next. I heard curls are poppin with that gel.
I guess it's just because i put it on my edges that I was able to comb it right out and reapply it in a different way after I restyled my hair. My goodness I need a relaxer. I put it off a bit too long I think. maybe this weekend. A little rant about ebonyonline: Don't buy from there. I ordered a half wig there Monday because Hairsisters (who has excellent shipping, btw) didn't have my color in stock. Cut to Thursday and I have no word on whether it shipped or when to expect it. I shot them an e-mail that while not disrespectful, expressed my frustration and disappointment as a first time customer. The response was to tell me that my order was shipped Tuesday and it'll get here on the 17th. It was done in a tone that wasn't really friendly, though. It was very curt. I'm just wondering when they planned on telling me about the status of my order. I like to be around for my deliveries ya know? Ugh. Never buying from them again I don't care if they have everything I want.

Copperhead

A little rant about ebonyonline: Don't buy from there. I ordered a half wig there Monday because Hairsisters (who has excellent shipping, btw) didn't have my color in stock. Cut to Thursday and I have no word on whether it shipped or when to expect it. I shot them an e-mail that while not disrespectful, expressed my frustration and disappointment as a first time customer. The response was to tell me that my order was shipped Tuesday and it'll get here on the 17th. It was done in a tone that wasn't really friendly, though. It was very curt. I'm just wondering when they planned on telling me about the status of my order. I like to be around for my deliveries ya know? Ugh. Never buying from them again I don't care if they have everything I want.
What kind of relaxer do you use?

shontay07108

I like Ultra Sheen Supreme. You get two relaxers in the box. The Super version for coarse hair is the one I use. I've used other perms where I'd wait a reasonable amount of time, wash it out and it's like I didn't do anything. With this relaxer, I wait maybe 2 minutes after I'm done applying it all over my head and wash it out. It's great.

Copperhead

I like Ultra Sheen Supreme. You get two relaxers in the box. The Super version for coarse hair is the one I use. I've used other perms where I'd wait a reasonable amount of time, wash it out and it's like I didn't do anything. With this relaxer, I wait maybe 2 minutes after I'm done applying it all over my head and wash it out. It's great.
I know exactly the one you're talking about. My sister just put that same relaxer in her hair. I used to use that one years ago. Then I went to Dark and Lovely but now I'm really liking ORS relaxer.

Lipstickdiva420

I was gifted the olive oil eco styler gel a while back. They're good for defined curls, but I want something a bit more organic so I don't have to feel like I have to wash it out everytime I put it on. I'm going to try flaxseed gel next. I heard curls are poppin with that gel.
I may try the flaxseed gel too because the beauty store gel dries up my hair so bad.

LouGarner

I may try the flaxseed gel too because the beauty store gel dries up my hair so bad.
it seems like everything dries my hair up. I have been natural for a while and my hair still has breakage. I am currently wearing my hair in a weave and wanted to get some input on what products work well in 4C hair.

sagehen

Quote:Originally Posted by LouGarner

it seems like everything dries my hair up. I have been natural for a while and my hair still has breakage. I am currently wearing my hair in a weave and wanted to get some input on what products work well in 4C hair.

The size of the curls (4C) doesn't affect the hair as much as the porosity and texture do (is your hair fine? coarse? in between?) What works for one 4C with fine, highly porous hair will not work for one with coarse, non-porous hair. Can you give us some more detail? Oh, and how much work do you want to put into it (do your mix your own products? do you want to buy off the shelf?)?