WOC: The Hair Thread

sss215

i was wondering if anyone else had anymore experience with the aveda products, which one is better for controlling frizz when your hair is curly and when your hair is straight. for the amount that your spending on these aveda products i want to get the one that i can the most out of for my money
The Be Curly and Be Straight are the lines that are suppose to be for that. I would grab the sample sizes of those products and try them out.

sagehen

yes the pomades and the control paste
the anti-humectant worked best when I had straight hair and wanted to keep it that way (blocks out moisture) and the humectant was best for when I was curly and wanted to keep it that way. The moisture keeps me from frizzing. The control paste can be used whenever, and was my favorite for edges.

auriannjag42

hmmmmm i'm so conflicted, i want to get both, but i know that's the greed side of me, because i should get the one that has the most multi-usage that i can get out of it, so i think i'm going to go with the anti-humectant pomade
the anti-humectant worked best when I had straight hair and wanted to keep it that way (blocks out moisture) and the humectant was best for when I was curly and wanted to keep it that way. The moisture keeps me from frizzing. The control paste can be used whenever, and was my favorite for edges.

diamonddiva

Hi. I've been reading through the thread and was hoping that some of you could give me some advice. Over the last 2 years I've been trying to take better care of my relaxed hair. I've been doing well, but I know that I could do better. The only thing is that I'm pretty low maintenance, so I don't want to develop a really complicated hair regimen. I think you would consider my hair 4b (don't pay very much attention to hair types) and, I would say, leans a bit more towards the dry side. I hadn't been seeing that much growth progress over the last 3-4 years, so I decided to go back to an old hair dresser and to cut my hair into a bob. I also took along the products I've been using (One 'n Only Argan Oil line), which he said were okay, but not that great. Since I don't have a lot of disposable income, I was hoping for some product suggestions that I could hopefully get from Sally Beauty Salon or Walmart. I'm debating if I should continue using the One 'n Only Argan Oil line or switch to the Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo and Moisture Extreme Conditioner. Or, maybe I should to something else. My hair dresser uses Paul Mitchell, so I was planning on using the GVP equivalent of the Paul Mitchell 'The Conditioner' leave-in. I have also been using Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion to moisturize and argan oil to seal it in. So, if I could get any suggestions for the following, that would be great: - Shampoo - Conditioner - Leave-in Conditioner - Deep conditioner (that I can use once a week) - Deep (protein) conditioner (that I can use onceh a month) - Moisturizer - Oil to seal in moisturizer Thanks for any help. Keshia :)
Hi! I am also relaxed, with hair a little passed bra strap length. The best things I have done to retain length are: Stretch my relaxers (at least 3-4 months) Limit Heat (maybe 4 times a year) Buns ( or other protective styles) Keep my ends trimmed Moisturize and seal nightly I use the following products: Shampoo (I don't do this often- like once a month)- CON Argan Oil or ORS Creamy Aloe Deep Conditioner-Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Leave in-Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion (has glycerin) or Kinky Curly Knot Today (no glycerin) Protein Treatment- Curl Junkie Repair Me! Moisturizer-Oyin Handmade's Hair Dew Oil-ORS Nature's Shine or Coconut Oil Since I found this line up of products my hair has flourished! I know the Curl Junkie products are a little pricey, but I purchase them from Curlmart or when Curl Junkie has a sale. Curl Junkie also has a sample pack you can order from their site, so you can try before you buy! If you have questions, I would be more than glad to help :)!

DILLIGAF

I used to use the anti humectant as well when I was relaxed. I loved the way it worked for me and a little went a long way. Helped to keep my tresses straight in the hot and humid NYC summers.

DILLIGAF

If you have questions, I would be more than glad to help
smiles.gif
!
I'm natural and I've recently gotten into Curl Junkie Products. Yes they are pricey but I love the way my hair feels after a DC with the Curl Junkie Rehab. I just wish they had a bigger jar than the 8oz. I get mine from Ricky's NYC. They have a store here in Miami and they are everywhere back in NY.

diamonddiva

On the Curl Junkie website, you can get a 32 oz bottle of the Curl Rehab! She usually has an Easter and Black Friday sale which is 20 to 25 percent off, plus free shipping for orders over $100.

shontay07108

Bought the Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship shampoo this morning and used it ASAP along with the conditioner. I'm in love. Someone said something before about their hair being so soft after using a particular shampoo as opposed to a shampoo that leaves your hair a mess until you add conditioner. Well, this HE shampoo does it for me. My hair was so soft I felt like I could run a comb through it before I even used the conditioner. I wish they had a leave in but I haven't seen anything about that.

Copperhead

Bought the Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship shampoo this morning and used it ASAP along with the conditioner. I'm in love. Someone said something before about their hair being so soft after using a particular shampoo as opposed to a shampoo that leaves your hair a mess until you add conditioner. Well, this HE shampoo does it for me. My hair was so soft I felt like I could run a comb through it before I even used the conditioner. I wish they had a leave in but I haven't seen anything about that.
I think that was me saying that about the Elasta QP shampoo. I think LTR does have a Leave In. I don't know if it's been discontinued because I think I heard that it was once before but if it hasn't been discontinued, there definitely is/was a Leave In.

ETA: Yeah, ulovemegz from youtube has a pic of it on her blog...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9cgWvjbS_E0/TVtOh8MqOJI/AAAAAAAAAJE/eS-kSVLTdt8/s1600/p4.jpg

shontay07108

I think that was me saying that about the Elasta QP shampoo. I think LTR does have a Leave In. I don't know if it's been discontinued because I think I heard that it was once before but if it hasn't been discontinued, there definitely is/was a Leave In. ETA: Yeah, ulovemegz from youtube has a pic of it on her blog... http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9cgWvjbS_E0/TVtOh8MqOJI/AAAAAAAAAJE/eS-kSVLTdt8/s1600/p4.jpg
Yes, that was you, lady. :) Ah, thank you so much. I couldn't find it on the HE site and I sure as hell didn't see it at my local drugstore.

Copperhead

I typed too soon because the two sellers seem shady. Did a google search and it seems it was discontinued.
crybaby.gif
Oh no!!

I think I remember someone saying something about being only able to find it at Target. If it's not at Target then it must be discontinued. Aww darn.

MAChostage

Has anyone had any experience with the Essations line/technique? I've been searching relentlessly for a long time now for something that will elongate and soften my curl. I've been hearing a lot about Naked Essations and Essations in general, which also has some specific areas within the line itself to address various hair needs (i.e., dry/flaky scalp, transitioning hair, naturally curly, etc.). It is *not* a Brazilian blowout, although it does allow you to blow dry your hair supposedly very straight and frizz free whenever you want. It is expensive, and each treatment lasts approximately 3 months. Also, my understanding is that you kind of have to commit to the process and the associated prodicts. I am way intrigued, though!

sss215

Has anyone had any experience with the Essations line/technique? I've been searching relentlessly for a long time now for something that will elongate and soften my curl. I've been hearing a lot about Naked Essations and Essations in general, which also has some specific areas within the line itself to address various hair needs (i.e., dry/flaky scalp, transitioning hair, naturally curly, etc.). It is *not* a Brazilian blowout, although it does allow you to blow dry your hair supposedly very straight and frizz free whenever you want. It is expensive, and each treatment lasts approximately 3 months. Also, my understanding is that you kind of have to commit to the process and the associated prodicts. I am way intrigued, though!
I've used some of their conditioners and I really like them. They are not sold anywhere where I live so I always have to order online. I'm still trying to find a place where I can buy a tub of their relaxer without a license, like Amazon, lol. No luck. I heard their Naked relaxer was dope. I spot texlax sometimes and a tub of this would be perfect. The product you are talking about sounds interesting. I think I'm going to start looking for it as well. I haven't googled them to see what new products they have lately.

MAChostage

So it's actually a relaxer? I'm being told it's not, but the people I've talked to (including a stylist who uses it) are all quite vague about just what it is!
I've used some of their conditioners and I really like them. They are not sold anywhere where I live so I always have to order online. I'm still trying to find a place where I can buy a tub of their relaxer without a license, like Amazon, lol. No luck. I heard their Naked relaxer was dope. I spot texlax sometimes and a tub of this would be perfect. The product you are talking about sounds interesting. I think I'm going to start looking for it as well. I haven't googled them to see what new products they have lately.

sss215

So it's actually a relaxer? I'm being told it's not, but the people I've talked to (including a stylist who uses it) are all quite vague about just what it is!
They have a relaxer under their Naked line and the thermal straightening system you are talking about. Since you brought them up, I've started to research the brand again. As good as the products are, the line is pretty under rated in comparison to other black salon lines like Dudley's, Mizani and whatever lines they use in the salons these days. Sometimes what's being used in a salon is such a secret lol

Richelle83

I've had my hair in twists for months(I'm lazy
smash.gif
), just finally took them out today and man my hair is huge! Lola is even bigger and longer in person.

Excuse everything lol

sagehen

I wish I could commit to a hair style that long, but my scalp would not have it. All my scratching would ruin the style.