WOC: The Hair Thread

sss215

I tried the curl formers and it's wasn't what I was looking for. It looks so easy on many of the YT vids, but when it was time to try it at home. Ummmm no

DILLIGAF

I tried the curl formers and it's wasn't what I was looking for. It looks so easy on many of the YT vids, but when it was time to try it at home. Ummmm no
My mother is obsessed by the curl formers. Not for her own hair but for mine. She keeps asking me if I've bought them yet. I'm not about that life.

CartoonChic

My mother is obsessed by the curl formers. Not for her own hair but for mine. She keeps asking me if I've bought them yet. I'm not about that life.
lmao.gif
That comment is truth!

I've had some success with styling my hair. After the bantu knot disaster, I tried a different twist out method to make my twists more defined. I love it. Still not the va va voom look I was going for in the video, but pretty nonetheless. My result was more like a pretty Church picnic hairstyle. Instead of my usual regular twists, I created flat twists. I love it because my hair was already separated into smaller pieces when I took the twists out. I didn't have to pick it apart to separate and avoided frizz. I'm definitely going to play with this technique more and practice. I never really learned how to cornrow my hair, which Is why I never attempted to flat twist before. It took me a while and my flat twists were wonky, but they did the job of creating defined twists and curls. Can't beat that.

Here's the video I followed. My hair wasn't stretched or blown out before hand. That may be why I got different results. I have no intention to blow dry my hair, but will play around with stretching it before doing the style again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gND5VKYZb8

And more related videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6ntmGdXXUw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruRGEe3DfOY

DILLIGAF

LOL, so I should not try curlformers? I really want to start playing with styles.
I've seen some beautiful result from Curlformers. I'm just saying that I like my styles to be easy to do. lol Curlformers are a great way to stretch the hair if you have the patience to put them in.

CartoonChic

I've seen some beautiful result from Curlformers. I'm just saying that I like my styles to be easy to do. lol Curlformers are a great way to stretch the hair if you have the patience to put them in.
I think Curlformers are worth playing with. Now that I know my mistake, my experience will be much better the next time. Please keep in mind that I am style challenged. I think I could finish it all in an hour to an hour and a half. That's how long it takes me to do my regular everyday twist style. I just need to figure out a way to stop my hair from frizzing up. I have a Jane Carter setting lotion, but I usually forget to use it until I'm done or I was too lazy to grab it.

Pikahime

I just tried curlformers (Well, the knock off ones) today and even though they were frustrating to put in at first (literally took me an hour to do half my head), once I figured out what to do, it was a breeze. Now that I know how to install them, I think it'll take me forty five minutes to an hour tops, and I have A LOT of hair. It also took way less time for them to dry completely and I was able to take them down without having to sleep on them overnight (which I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to do anyway, I tried to take a nap on those suckers and.. yeah.. no.). The curls turned out PERFECTLY, better than anything I've ever done with my hair. I usually do braidouts, flat twist outs and flexi-rod sets (tried a perm rod set once.. but I got impatient and took them out when they were still slightly damp and... frizz city), but usually, they take forever to dry. Forever meaning "do my hair at four in the afternoon, sleep in them overnight, take them out in the morning and they're STILL damp" type of forever. My hair dried in about four hours with the curlformers. I have them in mini pinapples right now and I'll take pictures of how the curls are come morning!

Pikahime

Also, does anyone have any good moisturizing DC's? I only use the one the ORS makes (the one that smells like citrus and has yellow labeling) but I find that my new growth and the thicker part of my texlaxed hair doesn't feel all the way moisturized unless I use a LOT of it. Plus.. it.. does this weird clumping thing in my hair when I use it with the Curls cleanser. I don't like that cleanser, but I brought it when it was on sale at Target and I feel like I have to use it up.

CartoonChic

I have used curlformers quite a lot to stretch my hair. I like them, but keep in mind I use them primarily to stretch my hair before doing another style. I dont think I am allowed to link my blog in my posts but u can click the link in my siggy.

Here is also a vid I did...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghLk0Xxwvl4
Nice blog and videos. Thanks for sharing. I bought my Curlformers primarily for styling. Didn't really consider using them just to stretch my hair. That gives them another function for me and makes me feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

CartoonChic

Also, does anyone have any good moisturizing DC's? I only use the one the ORS makes (the one that smells like citrus and has yellow labeling) but I find that my new growth and the thicker part of my texlaxed hair doesn't feel all the way moisturized unless I use a LOT of it. Plus.. it.. does this weird clumping thing in my hair when I use it with the Curls cleanser. I don't like that cleanser, but I brought it when it was on sale at Target and I feel like I have to use it up.
I'd love to see your results. Did you use a setting lotion to hold the curls?

I know exactly what you mean about your hair taking forever to dry. Mine is the same way. I've started doing styles on slightly damp hair instead of completely wet, and I'm finding that I'm getting better results drying wise.

I don't have any moisturizing recs because I just use a mixture I make at home. But I wouldn't keep using the cleanser if you know your hair doesn't like it, in my opinion. It's not doing anything to benefit your hair. You may not be wasting money if you keep using it, but you could be wasting the condition of your hair.

CartoonChic

I stayed in for New Year's Eve, but still did my hair and makeup. I already posted my pic in two other threads, and don't want to spam another. You can see the results in my avatar pic. I used Naptural85's defined twist out method that I previously posted. The style was done on dry, stretched out hair from my previous Curlformer and bantu knot attempts.

I love the results. I would retwist my hair every night since first doing the style and my hair would stretch out more and more each day. My hair has MASSIVE shrinkage. I could sport a faux TWA if I wanted to. No joke. My hair actually comes down to the bottom of my shoulder blades when I pull it. I'll probably have to grow waist length hair just for it to touch my shoulders when it's styled.
amazed.gif

MAChostage

Does anyone use Apple cider vinegar on their hair as a rinse or in any other fashion? I keep hearing how wonderful it is for use on the hair but for some reason I just feel like it might strip WOC hair too much. My mother had beautiful hair and I recall her using vinegar on it as well as my own when I was a little girl, as a rinse. My hair was a lot thicker and longer when I was a child and I now wonder if the use of the vinegar had anything to do with that.

CartoonChic

Does anyone use Apple cider vinegar on their hair as a rinse or in any other fashion? I keep hearing how wonderful it is for use on the hair but for some reason I just feel like it might strip WOC hair too much. My mother had beautiful hair and I recall her using vinegar on it as well as my own when I was a little girl, as a rinse. My hair was a lot thicker and longer when I was a child and I now wonder if the use of the vinegar had anything to do with that.
I personally don't use it, but I see a lot of women on YouTube with beautiful heads of hair who do use it. I think the acid in the vinegar serves to close the hair's cuticle. The hair appears smoother and shinier when the cuticle is closed. I'm not sure of the other benefits. I'm like you, I think it would be too strong to use on my hair. Plus I'm kind of lazy with my hair and don't want to add another step to my routine.

MAChostage

Thanks for the response, CC. I think I'm going to try an Apple cider vinegar rinse tomorrow morning when I wash my hair. Will report back if I notice anything spectacular.

boujoischic

Hi ladies I've been natural for about 4 or 5 years it's a shame I can't remember exactly. I started my journey doing a lot but now I just keep it simple. I cowash with V05 moisture milks or Hello Hydration about every 3 Days. I deep condition when needed with Silk elements or Aphogee 2 minute protein treatment. I use coconut oil on my wet hair place in 2 plaits to stretch overnight then I will usually wear my hair in bun. I straighten my hair in the cooler months whenever the mood strikes but not in the summer. I only trim about once every 6 Months. My hair is just grazing waist length when straightened and shoulder length curly (shrinkage!)

sagehen

Anyone try the new Shea Moisture Tahitian Noni and Monoi line yet?
If they had a website that worked I would have tried it by now. I just can't get any of their new products because they are not carried near me. Since I can't see them I wouldn't even know what to order via phone. Let me ask you this - are these products heavy with glycerin like their others? Maybe I shouldnot lament missing out. Glycerin is not my friend with single digit dew points.

MAChostage

If they had a website that worked I would have tried it by now. I just can't get any of their new products because they are not carried near me. Since I can't see them I wouldn't even know what to order via phone. Let me ask you this - are these products heavy with glycerin like their others? Maybe I shouldnot lament missing out. Glycerin is not my friend with single digit dew points.
Sorry, but I can't answer this for you. You can ask them on their FB page, they are super responsive there.