WOC: The Hair Thread

DILLIGAF

Dont know if u ladies followed longhairdontcare2011 on youtube but she died couple days ago kindney failure followed by heart attack due to her having lupus. So sad only 27yrs.
I didn't follow her personally but I watched some of her videos. My condolences to her family.

meka72

I had to come in here and share my experience with an etsy vendor of natural hair and skin care products, Annabelle's Perfect Blends (http://www.etsy.com/shop/PerfectBlends). I've been natural a few times but have mostly relaxes my hair. Regardless of the state of my hair, I have never been able to keep my hair properly moisturized. I recently started using APB specifically the leave in conditioners and hair creams and my hair stays soft and moisturized for at least 2 days, which is saying something for my hair. the conditioners are really good too. There are also a variety of scents included unscented too. I am not at all affiliated with the vendor but wanted to pass on this info. I know that textured hair can have problems with dryness. APB usually has at least one sale per month so I'd keep an eye out for those if you're interested.

smileyt06

I am so happy I found this thread. I love hair talk besides makeup talk lol.
cheerleader.gif

Yazmin

I have my natural hair out for a week before it goes back into box braids. I think I finally found a twist out method that works for my hair and gives me the results I am satisfied with until I find something better. I'll be excited to experiment again once the braids come back out, but for now, I don't even want to have to deal with it on an upcoming trip.

DILLIGAF

I have my natural hair out for a week before it goes back into box braids. I think I finally found a twist out method that works for my hair and gives me the results I am satisfied with until I find something better. I'll be excited to experiment again once the braids come back out, but for now, I don't even want to have to deal with it on an upcoming trip.
What method are you using for your twist out?
I recently changed the way I do mine as well.

sagehen

Ladies, I need a little, umm, support. I want to get a serious haircut nd a little reshaping, but I don't want to have my hair blown out for this, because I wear it curly 99.9 percent of the time. I want someone to cut it the way I will wear it most of the time, KWIM? How do you all pick a stylist to do this? I usually cut my own hair, but I want something way more than a trim or light layering. Do you go to just any salon and trust they will be able to do natural hair? Do you exclusively go to natural hair salons? There aren't too many near me. And SoCal ladies, do you have any recommendations?

meka72

Sage, I have a TTWWA so I've got nothing. Lol. Could you go to the natural hair salons and ask to see photos of the sylists' work and then select someone from that? Whether natural or relaxed, I've always hated looking for a new stylists (or barber when I was getting my hair cut).

Pikahime

Hello all!
So, I'm transitioning to natural!
Have been for a few months now and it's been... an easier journey thanks to my stylist. Here are a few things I've learned about my hair, when I was texlaxed and now on my transition. My hair is very dense, has MAJOR shrinkage l(my new growth shrinks like nobody's business), and I have low porosity hair. I think I'm a hairtype 4a if I had to guess, my curls are peeking through now and I can see how defined they are when wet.. I just have one question, one half of my hair has always "laid" better than the other side, flat ironed straighter and silkier, doesnt hold heatless curly styles as well as the other side, etc. Does that mean a difference in density, curl pattern, or texture?

sagehen

Hello all!  So, I'm transitioning to natural!  Have been for a few months now and it's been... an easier journey thanks to my stylist. Here are a few things I've learned about my hair, when I was texlaxed and now on my transition. My hair is [COLOR=333333]very dense, has MAJOR shrinkage l(my new growth shrinks like nobody's business), and I have low porosity hair.  I think I'm a hairtype 4a if I had to guess, my curls are peeking through now and I can see how defined they are when wet..  I just have one question, one half of my hair has always "laid" better than the other side, flat ironed straighter and silkier, doesnt hold heatless curly styles as well as the other side, etc. Does that mean a difference in density, curl pattern, or texture?   [/COLOR]
It is possible that one side has different density / texture, and also possible that one side is more damaged by heat (if you use heat). I had this issue and it takes awhile for the other side to catch up. If it doesn't, it's the first issue, and you will learn the ways to make it look the same, either via more/less styler, different application technique, etc.

Pikahime

Hm, okay, thanks! I think it's the first situation, since my hair has been like this since I was a kid. It's probably due to genetics, since the hair on that half of my head reminds me of my sister's hair, which looks finer and is easier to do straight styles on.

smileyt06

816f406f_image.jpeg
Just took my weave out Friday because ever since I cut the rest of my permed ends off on Feb 20, 2014 I love my natural state. This is my second wash and go and I love the results. I used As I Am products. I transitioned my hair for two years and how I got through it was wearing a weave non stop. The weave I took out Friday was only in three weeks because I just could not deal lol. I tried something new this time by adding a closure but a little leave out to slick down for a more natural look and that well wasn't a good idea because although I didn't use heat on that part not nearly close to every day, it gave me heat damage. I will put my weave back in by June but abosolutly no hair left out. I'll be fine my normal beautician is back and she will have my closure looking flawless.

sagehen

Just a question, and I am NOT being snarky, just curious, but I wonder why you are putting the weave back in when the curly fro is so cute on you. You have such a nice shape and nice body to it. Growing out? I mean no offense.

Debbs

I have been wearing weaves forever I barely even got to see the toll it took on my own hair until recently. My hair is thin, damaged and broken especially the back and the edges. I decided to give the weave a break now so I have been wearing half wigs for almost 3 weeks. I have a ton of hair products that I neglected using because they were not good for the weaves- weighing it down. Salon visit yesterday and did deep conditioning treatments which I may do biweekly. I need to work on my edges. No more hair vitamins as I hoarded them before and allowed several boxes to expire on me. I have no patience and very short attention span. Unsure if I should continue weaving my hair since it is already damaged or work on repairing it which will take a long time and work. Weaves lasted me for a good while, is easy to maintain and requires no fuss to get up and go. This was how my hair use to look before stress and weaves damaged it:-

smileyt06

Just a question, and I am NOT being snarky, just curious, but I wonder why you are putting the weave back in when the curly fro is so cute on you. You have such a nice shape and nice body to it. Growing out? I mean no offense.
No worries girl. I cut off 4-5 inches and just want to get my length back. So if I keep it in a protective style it will... This is my hair before I cut my permed ends off...
e4dde706_image.jpeg
And this is my hair 1 month after I cut it. My hair does grow quick...
4be82558_image.jpeg
But thank you luv. No offense taken girl

Pikahime

Just took my weave out Friday because ever since I cut the rest of my permed ends off on Feb 20, 2014 I love my natural state. This is my second wash and go and I love the results. I used As I Am products. I transitioned my hair for two years and how I got through it was wearing a weave non stop. The weave I took out Friday was only in three weeks because I just could not deal lol. I tried something new this time by adding a closure but a little leave out to slick down for a more natural look and that well wasn't a good idea because although I didn't use heat on that part not nearly close to every day, it gave me heat damage. I will put my weave back in by June but abosolutly no hair left out. I'll be fine my normal beautician is back and she will have my closure looking flawless.
Your curls are super pretty! I've mostly done heat free styles while trying to blend my texlax hair in with my natural hair... but I've been thinking of doing a weave for the summer, even though the last two times I got a sew in didn't go well. I also really like being able to touch my hair and wash it. I like wearing wigs too when I want a change. I'll have to give it some more time.

DILLIGAF

I have an appointment to get a trim the following Tuesday with a hair stylist that also does natural hair. I found her through another friend of mine that also has natural hair. If she wants to trim my hair straight I'm going to have to leave. I do not want my hair straightened to get a trim. If cannot curly I'm going to ask her to suggest one that can. If I was back in NYC I would go to the Devachan salon. They cut curly hair in its natural state. I have no intention of wearing my hair straight any time soon.

DILLIGAF

I have an appointment to get a trim the following Tuesday with a hair stylist that also does natural hair. I found her through another friend of mine that also has natural hair. If she wants to trim my hair straight I'm going to have to leave. I do not want my hair straightened to get a trim. If cannot curly I'm going to ask her to suggest one that can. If I was back in NYC I would go to the Devachan salon. They cut curly hair in its natural state. I have no intention of wearing my hair straight any time soon.
So I went to my appointment today and HOORAY!!!!! The stylist cuts curly hair in it's naturally curly state!!!! Also small world we used to work together way back in the day. In total I lost about 1.5 inches of hair. My own fault for waiting to long to get a trim. Not a problem though as my hair grows fairly quickly. I also got a steam treatment and I loved the way my hair felt afterwards. I may look into getting a hair steamer for myself. She styled it in two strand twists. So far I'm happy but the real test becomes what it looks like when I take the twists down.