WOC: The Hair Thread

DILLIGAF

Spent the entire day at the beach today. Now I'm home and getting ready to thoroughly wash and condition my mane. It got me thinking. What do you ladies use to deep condition? Do you make it yourself? Do you use store bought? How long do you deep condition? How often? etc. I'm curious.

meka72

I have lots of conditioners! I usually deep condition 1x/week with a protein conditioner on dry hair, as a pre poo, and then with a moisturizing deep conditioner after I shampoo. More recently, I've been deep conditioning overnight with Saran wrap if my scalp can take it. If not, I deep condition without heat (I believe my hair is porous) for at least 2 hours. I really like curl junkie curl rehab deep conditioner. I also use evoo with all my moisturizing deep conditioners.

DILLIGAF

I really like curl junkie curl rehab deep conditioner. I also use evoo with all my moisturizing deep conditioners.
This is what I'm currently deep conditioning with today! I've washed and then I've detangled while applying this conditioner. I've placed my detangled sectioned hair in a plastic cap and wrapped the whole shebang in a towel. Now the waiting begins.

Do you mix the EVOO with the conditioner? Or do you apply them separately?

meka72

I apply the evoo on top of the conditioner and work it through the hair. I really like the CJCR ans will likely repurchase after I use the last little bit tomorrow although I won't repurchase soon. I've got many more DCs to work through. How long have you been natural?

DILLIGAF

How long have you been natural?
I've been natural since 2010. I transitioned for well over a year before I big chopped in October 2010. I had a minor set back this year when I lost over 4 inches in length. I'm trying my best to maintain my hair health and I've been told to add deep conditioning to my routine.

meka72

I BC'ed to the scalp in December for health reasons and have really enjoyed getting to know my hair. I've been natural before but this is the first time that I've been as diligent with my hair (educating myself on ingredients and how they affect my har, spending a little more on good products, etc). I'm at the TWWA stage right now and have been struggling with detangling and knots at the ends of my hair.
I've been natural since 2010. I transitioned for well over a year before I big chopped in October 2010. I had a minor set back this year when I lost over 4 inches in length. I'm trying my best to maintain my hair health and I've been told to add deep conditioning to my routine.

Yazmin

I've had my natural hair out going on nearly 4 months now and I really enjoying getting to know my hair. Been experimenting with both twist outs and wash and go's (via the Anthony Dickie method) and I've found the latter to work well for me. I've been able to stretch between washes and still manage to keep my natural curl pattern in tact. What I do hate, however, are single strand knots! They are the bane of my existence! I wish there was a way to prevent them entirely. I do think eventually that I will go back to a protective style for a little bit - thinking about crochet braids this time.

I'm loving the Creme of Nature Argan Oil line of hair care products. I already had the shampoo and conditioner, leave-in conditioner and oil moisturizer, but just bought the Hydrating Buttercreme, Moisturizing Milk Masque and Pudding Perfection a couple of days ago. I'm hoping to try out the full As I Am line soon.

Does anyone know if there's a hair product swap available somewhere. I'm going to get rid of most of my Dark & Lovely items but I'd rather give them away than throw them away.

ShareeA

Has anyone taken HairFinity or Manetabolism?
I took Hairfinity for six months about six years ago when I was transitioning and trying to speed up the process. I didn't see much of a change in growth or speed of growth but I think I did retain some length. I wouldn't buy them again. Also they didn't break me out.

ShareeA

I had to jump in. I'm over 2 years post BC but I transitioned for a year and half. I have a TON of hair on my head and if I had to categorize my hair it would be curly/coily or 3c/4a. I like to try products but I wouldn't call myself a product junkie. yet. No matter what I try I seem to keep coming back to a basic routine with core products. I wouldn't call them HG but they are what my hair currently likes.
WASH: Giovanni's 50/50 Shampoo its a hydrating clarifying shampoo.
CONDITIONER: Right now Aussie Moist. Just because its there. I have a bunch of conditioners in the shower right now that I'm trying to work my way through
I wash approximately once a week and keep my hair in protective styling during the week. On the weekends I wear it out and then on Sunday it gets washed and put away. Once out the shower I use:
LEAVE IN: Giovanni Direct Leave In
SEALER: Jojoba oil
STYLER: Bee Mine Curly Butter
MOISTURIZER: Bee Mine Balanced Moisturizer, Oyin Juices & Berries

I try to condition once a month Using AS I AM Hydration Elation

I think I'm past APL at this time but I've not straighted my hair since I've cut it. I don't want to or feel a need to.

I also happen to like products from Karen's Body Beautiful, Darcy's Botanicals, Afroveda and Qhemet Biologics. I've tried Miss Jessie's and for my hair it's way too heavy. I do however like their Curly Meringue.
I for one will be using the Black Friday sales to stock up on things that I love.
Aussie Moist is my spring/summer staple conditioner. I definitely do not use it in the winter because it makes my hair break. But I like it for cowashing. Dove also has a peach scented conditioner that I love but I can't find it anymore. It's great for deep conditioning.

Staples:
1. Kinky Curly Knot Today. I will never run out of this because I keep at least three on deck at all times. I use this mainly as a detangler but I also use it as a leave in. But note this is not a moisturizing leave in at all. I just leave it in because it says I can.
2. Design Essentials Natural Shampoo and KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo. The only shampoos I use. If I need my hair really clean I'll mix baking soda with either of these.
3. Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Condtioner. Favorite Conditioner I've EVER used. I rarely ever try out new conditioners because this is my HG. I can use this year round. It's great for detangling and as a leave in. I find it at Marshall's for $12.99 for 33.8 fl oz and snatch up as many bottles as I can fit in my arms. I actually just bought four the other day!
4. Ogx Renewing Argon Oil Conditioner. I also Love this conditioner but mostly for oil rinsing
TGIN Butter Cream Moisturizer for Natural Hair. Another HG product. Completely replaced gel in my routine. It gives my curls enough hold for definition but it is SO light and moisturizing. It smells great and I can get three day wash and go hair with this. I just put my hair in a high pony at night and wrap my scarf. The next morning I spritz water in my hair, enough to weigh it down, and the curls pop back to life. If I feel like the finish has dulled I just add oil on top. I use this as my cream moisturizer regardless if I wearing a wash and go or if I'll be putting my hair up.

This is my Summer Routine:
I have discovered that my hair loves oil rinsing. I just use any olive oil or castor oil and apply the oil to my dry hair before wetting it. I gently pull out shed hairs and then I wet my hair enough to soak and let my hair absorb the water for a minute or two. Then I cowash with the Ogx conditioner and again gently pull out shed hair. I rinse my hair and then apply the KCKT and thoroughly detangle. Sometimes I rinse the KCKT out and sometimes I don't. I then use a t-shirt to absorb the water in my hair. Then I apply the TGIN cream and seal with castor oil.

The only things that really change are the conditioners. I don't use shampoo but once or twice a month and I don't use gel at all. I have 4a/4b hair.

ShareeA

Just took my weave out Friday because ever since I cut the rest of my permed ends off on Feb 20, 2014 I love my natural state. This is my second wash and go and I love the results. I used As I Am products. I transitioned my hair for two years and how I got through it was wearing a weave non stop. The weave I took out Friday was only in three weeks because I just could not deal lol. I tried something new this time by adding a closure but a little leave out to slick down for a more natural look and that well wasn't a good idea because although I didn't use heat on that part not nearly close to every day, it gave me heat damage. I will put my weave back in by June but abosolutly no hair left out. I'll be fine my normal beautician is back and she will have my closure looking flawless.
Beautiful!

smileyt06

Just wanted to post some updated pics of my hair. I flat ironed it which I only do once a year so enjoy until next year lol. My length check as of 11/1/14
c26fcc04_image.jpeg
7f9262c5_image.jpeg
And this was last years to compare below
1e687a52_image.jpeg
I'm currently working on growing the left side. It's shorter because I wanted all my permed ends out and snip snip o well lol

smileyt06

This looks great and healthy. How do you flat iron. I'm actually scared to straighten my hair.
Thank you! I don't flat iron it I go to the shop. Girl as my hair gets longer I can't deal or do it straight. She just uses a regular flat iron. Trust me I was scared but as a natural you don't want to become anti heat. Once a year won't hurt plus I have too because that's the only time I trim my ends. I don't like trims in the curly state as you can see what I did lol