WOC: The Hair Thread

sss215

Does anyone use Apple cider vinegar on their hair as a rinse or in any other fashion? I keep hearing how wonderful it is for use on the hair but for some reason I just feel like it might strip WOC hair too much. My mother had beautiful hair and I recall her using vinegar on it as well as my own when I was a little girl, as a rinse. My hair was a lot thicker and longer when I was a child and I now wonder if the use of the vinegar had anything to do with that.
I use it as a final rinse. It helps with dry itchy scalp in the winter.

MAChostage

Sagehen, I drove to a nearby city today after making calls to 3 of their Target stores and finding out that one of them had the kit! Glycerin is not listed as an ingredient. I really wanted to try it out tonight but I have some questions about the timing guide because my hair type fits into three different categories and they each list different timing amounts. I'm anxiously awaiting a reply from the message I posted to them on Facebook.
I'm sorry - I thought you had bought the products.

sagehen

Sagehen, I drove to a nearby city today after making calls to 3 of their Target stores and finding out that one of them had the kit! Glycerin is not listed as an ingredient. I really wanted to try it out tonight but I have some questions about the timing guide because my hair type fits into three different categories and they each list different timing amounts. I'm anxiously awaiting a reply from the message I posted to them on Facebook.
'' Ooh thanks for reporting back. I may have to take a day trip soon to see what stores around me offer.

MAChostage

Sagehen, my sincerest apologies. Upon closer inspection there is some glycerin in the products but it's down further in the list. Maybe it's far enough down that it's a nonfactor for you?
'' Ooh thanks for reporting back. I may have to take a day trip soon to see what stores around me offer.

sagehen

Sagehen, my sincerest apologies. Upon closer inspection there is some glycerin in the products but it's down further in the list. Maybe it's far enough down that it's a nonfactor for you?
It might be. It is awfully far up in the coconut/hibiscus and the tamanu line and they just didn't work. I will look into it. I am really interested in the featured ingredients on this line. Thanks for reporting back!

MAChostage

I tried the straightening system last night. Some background to set the stage: it is extremely rare that I blow my hair out and curl or flat iron it. I am a wash-and-go kind of girl. I've always been a bit confused by the hair/curl type charts, but my guess is that my type is III something or another, characterized by waves and corkscrew ringlets. My hair is also fine and color treated (bleached highlights). It is virtually impossible to elongate or straighten my curls. A couple of years ago I wanted some curl elongation so bad that I let my stylist apply some texturizer to my hair. It did nothing. Just for grins, I gave her permission to apply a mild relaxer to see what would happen. No go. My hair believes that it is meant to be curly. I didn't have high hopes when I finally tracked this product down and bought it. I had no desire to have my hair straight (you're instructed to blow it dry and flat iron it after using the kit if you want that result). I was really hoping that curl elongation and frizz free hair would be my result. Shea Moisture touts the frizz free quality as a perk of using this system. I applied the straightener for only 10 minutes, the time stated for color treated/bleached hair. The product is free of lye and other harsh permanent straighteners so you don't even wear gloves while using it. After completing the system instead of blowing my hair dry I used Eco gel and did about 8 two-strand twists, rolling each twist about halfway up on perm rods. I covered my hair with a well-fitting satin bonnet and slept that way. This morning I simply removed the rods and separated the twists. I was pleased with the look, my curls weren't as tight and I was relatively frizz free (as long as I didn't keep messing with my hair). The true test for me will be how it looks the first time I wash and wear it. This is what will determine whether or not I think it will be worth it to continue using it. I do have a feeling, however, that my curls are going to remain true to form and shrink. :( We'll see!

Yazmin

I got my box braids put back in yesterday. I'm not ready to go full time with my natural hair just yet. After I take this out in early to mid-April, I'll take a 2-3 week break and play around with different styling options. I do like twist outs, but my hair is so fine, that it just hangs there and doesn't look right.

Anyone know of any good products which helps hair grow in thicker?

DILLIGAF

I've having an issue. I want to straighten my hair for the express point of trimming my hair. I seriously need a trim but I'm deathly afraid of heat damage. Any suggestions?

trina11225

I got my box braids put back in yesterday. I'm not ready to go full time with my natural hair just yet. After I take this out in early to mid-April, I'll take a 2-3 week break and play around with different styling options. I do like twist outs, but my hair is so fine, that it just hangs there and doesn't look right.

Anyone know of any good products which helps hair grow in thicker?
I keep hearing castor oil, but i'm going to get some vitamins from healthyhair.com , they have stuff there.

Pikahime

Hello everyone!
My stylist reccomended that she give me a keratin treatment because I'm trying to grow out my natural hair and I'd prefer to wear it straight. Has anyone ever gotten one professionally done? I trust my stylist and my hair was healthy even when I was texlaxing it so I know she has my hair's health in mind with whatever she does to it. I also got a streak of pink in my hair and even though I love it, I'd really love a really intense deep conditioning treatment for my hair since I'm still on the search for one. Preferably something creamy in texture with natural ingredients.

sss215

I've having an issue. I want to straighten my hair for the express point of trimming my hair. I seriously need a trim but I'm deathly afraid of heat damage. Any suggestions?
Is the stylist trimming your hair? They should be able to trim it while curly.

MAChostage

I also prefer having my hair trimmed in its (wet) curly state. Why are you wanting to straighten before trimming?
I've having an issue. I want to straighten my hair for the express point of trimming my hair. I seriously need a trim but I'm deathly afraid of heat damage. Any suggestions?

DILLIGAF

I also prefer having my hair trimmed in its (wet) curly state. Why are you wanting to straighten before trimming?
I just thought it would be a benefit to have my hair trimmed straight. If I don't have to straighten I'd rather not. Now to find a good hair stylist that can cut wet curly hair. I guess I've heard its better to cut it straight.

sss215

Yeah even when my hair was relaxed, my stylist would cut it wet. Call around, some stylists prefer to cut hair wet. A good stylist excels at it.

tchristi

Dont know if u ladies followed longhairdontcare2011 on youtube but she died couple days ago kindney failure followed by heart attack due to her having lupus. So sad only 27yrs.