All Things Sephora

GreenEyedAllie

Hello! I am super new here. And also new to the high end makeup world. I fell in love with high end makeup stores as soon as I moved to Hawaii from the isolated Alaska! We only just got Ulta where I am from right before we moved. Here, Sephora and MAC are my go to places to go! I am wanting to try a new foundation that has full coverage and has a great finish and doesn't look cakey on the face. Any recommendations? I've heard mixed things about NARS so I am kind of iffy about buying their foundation. I hear great things about Tarte's foundations, but figured this would be the perfect place to ask..:eek:

1. Welcome!!!

2. What kind of skin would you say you have? Oily? Dry? Etc.

3. I LOVE NARS--both the All-Day Luminous and the Radiant Tinted Moisturizer. Your Sephora should certainly carry those, so I would grab a couple colors of each and test drive. You only need a drop or two of the ADL for a full-coverage face...more and it could get cakey looking. I also like the skin tint a ton...the finish is great, but it's really matte, and the alcohol or something in it irritates my skin if I don't use primer or use it more than a day or two in a row. I don't have that issue with the ADL or TM.

4. I have actually just been test driving the Tarte Rainforest whatever that a lot of people like, and so far, I'm impressed. Again, I would strongly recommend grabbing samples in a couple different colors to wear around for a week or so.

5. My other foundation I enjoy a lot is the MAC Prolongwear waterproof (comes in black tube). Shade matching is key on this one as some people have oxidation and others don't so the product will run light on them. Also use small amounts of this one to achieve full coverage without caking...the first time I tried it, I had some acne, and it was seriously like a magic eraser for my face (NARS ADL would be next for me). It stays put, so a good removal/cleaning routine is important.

MAC_Fafinette14

Sephora's house brand has a knack for coming out with really good shades. They also have a knack for discontinuing those same shades. I was disappointed when Midnight Swim eyeshadow was gone (such a gorgeous petrol blue!), and now I learned they discontinued their Tranquil blush. (I mean, Nyx Taupe isn't bad, but Tranquil was my HG shade for being cooler-toned.) I hope they decide to bring it back--maybe reformulated, or a larger-sized pan would be great! At least my Tranquil pan is still in decent condition...

Icecaramellatte

Sephora's house brand has a knack for coming out with really good shades. They also have a knack for discontinuing those same shades. I was disappointed when Midnight Swim eyeshadow was gone (such a gorgeous petrol blue!), and now I learned they discontinued their Tranquil blush. (I mean, Nyx Taupe isn't bad, but Tranquil was my HG shade for being cooler-toned.) I hope they decide to bring it back--maybe reformulated, or a larger-sized pan would be great! At least my Tranquil pan is still in decent condition...

Agreed! Sephora is constantly discontinuing stuff. So annoying.

Icecaramellatte

I finally used my Tarte Pro to Go eyeshadow palette. Loved it! Now I'm wondering if I should buy the big eyeshadow palette with the shimmery shades or buy the shimmer shade singles.

v0ltagekid

I have yet to use my pro to go! I got it as a gift, and I have the regular pro (funny enough also got it as a gift), I am so excited to use the little one tho. I love how sleek the packaging is! so cute!

I finally used my Tarte Pro to Go eyeshadow palette. Loved it! Now I'm wondering if I should buy the big eyeshadow palette with the shimmery shades or buy the shimmer shade singles.

Alysse011

I went to Nordies yesterday to return a pair of shoes, and they had the new Hourglass Girl Stylos. I tried a couple on, and they're very comfortable on the lips. The shade range was great too. I think most people will be able to find at least one (or 5) to suit them. I have a couple on my wishlist now.

Also, I don't know if anyone is curious about it, but the Shiseido counter had testers of the new Synchro Skin Glow foundation. I had a sample pot made in shade G2. I put it on this morning, and initial impressions are positive. It reminds me a lot of CdP Radiant Fluid Foundation in the way it applies and the weightless feeling on the skin. It seems to be a nice luminous finish. I have a dry patch on my chin right now and it went over that very well too.

fur4elise

I went to Nordies yesterday to return a pair of shoes, and they had the new Hourglass Girl Stylos. I tried a couple on, and they're very comfortable on the lips. The shade range was great too. I think most people will be able to find at least one (or 5) to suit them. I have a couple on my wishlist now.
Also, I don't know if anyone is curious about it, but the Shiseido counter had testers of the new Synchro Skin Glow foundation. I had a sample pot made in shade G2. I put it on this morning, and initial impressions are positive. It reminds me a lot of CdP Radiant Fluid Foundation in the way it applies and the weightless feeling on the skin. It seems to be a nice luminous finish. I have a dry patch on my chin right now and it went over that very well too.

I do like look of the HG Stylos...You tried the new Chanel Rouge Crayons, right? I am also tempted by those. Do you think they compare? I am trying to sway away from "balm like" lippies, because surprisingly that formulation tends to chap my lips...kind of shocking, but true. If you had to choose, which would you prefer? Coz, you know the whole low buy thing ;) ...plus if I can avoid duplicating and chapping my lips...lol

Alysse011

I do like look of the HG Stylos...You tried the new Chanel Rouge Crayons, right? I am also tempted by those. Do you think they compare? I am trying to sway away from "balm like" lippies, because surprisingly that formulation tends to chap my lips...kind of shocking, but true. If you had to choose, which would you prefer? Coz, you know the whole low buy thing ;) ...plus if I can avoid duplicating and chapping my lips...lol

Yep, I tried both. They're both nice (of course lol). However, the Chanel are more "balmy" in my opinion and have a glossy finish initeally; Hourglass are less glossy and feel less balmy. Also the Chanel are quite small. I really like the colors and such, but because of the price point and the amount you get, if you have a similar color that you enjoy then I wouldn't go for the Chanel. but if there's a color you love and you want a glossier look then go for it.
I like the Hourglass release more because they also have a really great formula + it lasted longer on me + you get more + much wider variety of shades + I like the packaging more. I feel like they did a very nice job with this product.

fur4elise

Yep, I tried both. They're both nice (of course lol). However, the Chanel are more "balmy" in my opinion and have a glossy finish initeally; Hourglass are less glossy and feel less balmy. Also the Chanel are quite small. I really like the colors and such, but because of the price point and the amount you get, if you have a similar color that you enjoy then I wouldn't go for the Chanel. but if there's a color you love and you want a glossier look then go for it.
I like the Hourglass release more because they also have a really great formula + it lasted longer on me + you get more + much wider variety of shades + I like the packaging more. I feel like they did a very nice job with this product.

Thanks mama! That is extremely helpful information! I like 2 of the Stylo colors so will add those to my lust/must list! :D

GreenEyedAllie

I just ordered Chanel crayon in Carmin :heart:
Carmin is a must (hear that [MENTION=51593]fur4elise[/MENTION]??)...I'm not a red person per se, but I love love love this color. My husband even admired it, which is honestly more unusual than not.

I'm excited to try the HG crayons also after all the rave reviews. Just have to narrow down a shade....

fur4elise

I just ordered Chanel crayon in Carmin :heart:
#buyalltheredsallthetime! ;)
GreenEyedAllie;2753257[B said:
]Carmin is a must (hear that @fur4elise??)[/B]...I'm not a red person per se, but I love love love this color. My husband even admired it, which is honestly more unusual than not.I'm excited to try the HG crayons also after all the rave reviews. Just have to narrow down a shade....

Holy pigment, Batman! Carmin in its glory (love):

LOL! I sure do hear ya mama! I did see you got Carmin...but not on you...attachment is not showing *sadface* So it looks like I may have to get one of each! :cloud9:

elegant-one

Carmin is a must (hear that @fur4elise ??)...I'm not a red person per se, but I love love love this color. My husband even admired it, which is honestly more unusual than not.

I'm excited to try the HG crayons also after all the rave reviews. Just have to narrow down a shade....

Oh my yes! It was so gorgeous on you & I saw it somewhere on the internet lol where they put each shade that was flattering on someone & Carmin was super pretty on her too. Plus, it's RED! :cloud9::rofl:

elegant-one

#buyalltheredsallthetime! ;)

LOL! I sure do hear ya mama! I did see you got Carmin...but not on you...attachment is not showing *sadface* So it looks like I may have to get one of each! :cloud9:

ALL the reds...and this one is exceedingly beautiful, and ...it's Chanel :)

Latest posts