Am I the only one that HATES dealing with her skin??

ashk36

Yeah you guys are scaring me with the "30+ with skin issues." I had gorgeous skin from 0 to 18, and from then til now, 26, it's so fucking...boo. Not just breakouts, but the marks left after the pimple is gone. So if my skin magically looks good again within the next couple years, and then I hit 30 and it goes to shit again, I'm liable to just fucking wear a paper bag on my head for the rest of my life.

Sorry for the potty mouth. My skin pisses me off.

gujifijian

I think i find the skincare routine boring. Maybe because I don't know how to do it properly. But I feel it requires alot of work yet I still do it....

I have an acne prone skin plus I'm also combo/oily. I keep trying out different cleanser because none of them seem to work for me. I use moisture wipes to take my makeup off every nite. Then I use my cleanser and I'd have to use the cleanser again. Apparantly the first time the makeup didn't come off. So I use the cleanser twice. I don't use a toner, as I don't think I need it. I use Loreal Future E Spf 15 moisturizer but I think I should be using something closer to my age group. The Future E is for teens. But by using this moisturizer my foundation doesn't seem to overly done. I mean, other moisturizer makes my foundation look heavy. And then i use powder....What should I be using for acne prone skin? I'm in my 30's and I can't seem to find a good cleanser or a good moisturizer. I hate having to change

gujifijian

I recently bought Neutrogena Deep Clean cleanser as well as toner. So I'll try that out. B4 that I used to buy Clean and Clear cleanser. I've heard good things about Neutrogena products so I'm gonna try it out and see how it goes.

ashk36

I always use makeup wipes before cleansing, as well. I just use the generic ones from rite-aid. They do the trick. After that, I wash with St. Ives Green Tea cleanser, which smells so good and cleans well without being too drying. Then, to be sure I've gotten ALL my makeup off, I use Dickinson's witch hazel toner, then Olay sensitive skin spf 15 moisturizer. A couple times a week I do a sugar scrub, and I plan on doing my second Jessner's peel sometime this month to help with red marks. My skin isn't too bad really, just the hormonal breakouts and red marks. I don't MIND dealing with my skin, I just hate doing it before bed because it wakes me up when all I want to do is pass out.

funkychik02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
is it because you find skincare boring? or you dont know where to start?

sephora is launching the "skincare crusade" because like you, many women cant bebothered with their skincare routine. There will be a skincare challenege with rewards. Youll be given a card, and for every skincare item you purchase of 20 USD youll be given a stamp. After 4 stamps you get a free fullsized product (within those they have selected to give away). The idea is to get people started on a good routine. Cleanse, treat, moisturize, and protect. There will also be a new Skincare solutions wall in every sephora which will make it easier for everyone to figure out. Sry, had my meeting about it last night.

But seriously, it is important to take care of your skin. Your foundations and powders will go on easier. You might find you no longer need to wear foundation at all, tinted moirturizer might be enough for you. Eye creams will help your eyes look more awake and youthful and will make your makeup go on easier. With the right treatments skin will appear brighter, more toned. You can prevent wrinkles, soften expression lines. Why wouldn't you, ya know?
Before i worked for sephora i didnt know much about skincare, and didnt care. Since ive started to work their i started to sample everything, and ive found some products that have changed my skin and make me feel so confident. I've evened out my skintone, so i dont feel i need to wear foundation whenever i leave the house. My skin is even kinda glowy which is nice. I've also found products that are actually fun, like most of the masks i use.

What kind of skin do you have?

It's a combination of boredom and laziness. I really have no excuse, because I used to SELL SKINCARE PRODUCTS. I actually took care of my skin then. I have combination/ acne prone skin.

euphrosyne_rose

I can totally understand not wanting to deal with it sometimes. I'm guilty of it as well from time to time. I have the Basis Cleansing Cloths that I get at Ulta b/c that's the only place I can find them but I use them when I don't feel like washing my face and I have to say, I don't feel like it leaves a residue or leaves my skin feeling icky like some cleansing wipes can do. I can't use the MAC ones after a period of time b/c they tend to make me red and irritated and I've tried Ponds and Dove ones and same result. Basis is the only brand that doesn't aggravate my already aggravated skin.

I'm taking back my Clinique stuff tomorrow to get my money back and hopefully getting something else. I actually went back to the dermatologist yesterday and she told me that she can give suggestions on cleansers and moisturizers but really it's basically going to be trial and error for people b/c everyone's skin is of course different and reacts differently to products that might work for someone else. Of course I knew that already, but hearing a dermatologist tell me that and not have the "I'm a doctor, I know it all" attitude is very refreshing. I appreciated her for it. I won't be seeing any other dermatologist now but her.

I looked on Sephora's site after reading some of Mabelle's posts and I did get a sample of the Help Me but also want to try possibly the Skyn Icelandic line, Juice Beauty, the Ole line or maybe some other Philosophy products. I saw that most of these come in trial kits so I look forward to trying things out. I find usually the problem I have the most is that while I do get oily in the t-zone at times, gel cleansers and stuff for combo skin eventually dries me out in other places so I think I just lean more towards dry.
th_confused_new.gif

The search for the perfect facial regimen continues....
cutey.gif

coachkitten

I went to Sephora on Wednesday and I picked up the Philosophy Advanced Makeup Optional Skin mini set. I have used it since Wednesday night and so far so good. No new breakouts and my skin feels softer and smoother. I am going to stick it out for a few months and see what happens.

Also the Help Me treatment has not made me dry at all. I am just using a little bit of it all over my face.

I will keep you all posted on how it works. I am glad to be done with the Clinique for a bit. That was just doing nothing for me at all.

euphrosyne_rose

^^I'm ready to unload this Clinique back on Macy's.
choochoo.gif
I'm soooo ready to try something new myself. I'm leaning towards the Juice Beauty set so if I try that, I'll let you know how I feel about it and you can let us know about the Philosophy!
tong.gif

Mabelle

clinic is really hard on the skin. Ive been told this by a lot of people, even a friend who worked for clinic.
I'm still using the "help me" I LOVE it.

gujifijian

wow everyone is talking about Philosophy products. I don't know if I should keep changing my cleansers. Is changing your cleasner so often even a good idea? Man, y can't I live in the states. Atleast I wouldn't have to pay so much for stuff...grrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Mabelle

^ whats your skin type?
i love purity by philosophy. I also just got the african red clean foaming cleanser by ole henriksen , SO nice. It's crazy gentle and super calming. loves it.

genduk26

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachkitten
I went to Sephora on Wednesday and I picked up the Philosophy Advanced Makeup Optional Skin mini set. I have used it since Wednesday night and so far so good. No new breakouts and my skin feels softer and smoother. I am going to stick it out for a few months and see what happens.

Also the Help Me treatment has not made me dry at all. I am just using a little bit of it all over my face.

I will keep you all posted on how it works. I am glad to be done with the Clinique for a bit. That was just doing nothing for me at all.

Katie, i think you will love Help Me treatment.
yes.gif
I have used Philosophy When Hope is Not Enough together with Turbo Booster C Powder in the morning & Help Me at night for few months. And my skin loves it. my face look brighter & smoother. I'm not big with their moisturizers though. They make my face oilier. I use Chanel Line Correcting Fluid AM & Peter Thomas Roth Glycolic Acid 10% Moisturizer PM as my moisturizers. I like PTR skin products but am not sure about Chanel line correcting. I agree with you about Clinique.

genduk26

Mabelle, I have post acne dark brown spots. they don't fade away in months. sure i can use concealers but i don't want to use make-up to hide something. any suggestion? I want to get DDF Fade Gel 4 but i'm not sure. I heard Hydroquinone is dangerous.
th_dunno.gif
is it true?

Mabelle

hydroqartozone? if thats what your talking about, yes it can be dangerous as it is a steroid and it can thin the skin over time.
There are tons of products for hyper pigmentation. Do you have pitted scarring aswell? if yes, there are two products by clinic that are good. one is a get even product (dont remember which.. sry) and another i was told was available is stick format. ill try to enquire and get back to you.
for simple hyperpigementation, most products with vitamine c or rentanoid or rentenole. Ie ole's collagen serum, help me by philosophy or miracle woker by philosophy. Anything to lighten or to encrease cellular turnover will help.

For those unclear on what cell turnover means exactly, this how it was explained to me....
When you are a kid and you get a cut your wound heals withen a day or 2. As a 25 year old, my similar cuts have well over a week. It is because my cell turnover has slowed. Many anti aging products claim to help speed this up, or keep it at a good rate. This will help deminish wrinkles, expression lines, lighgten sun spots, acne scaring and provide an all over glow.
peels will always help with hyperpigmenation. again, i always suggest ole.

coachkitten

I am going to have to try some of the Ole stuff. Is it bad to mix different skincare lines? Hopefully that isn't a totally dumb question!
smiles.gif

euphrosyne_rose

^^ When I first went to see this dermatologist I've been seeing, she recommended the Aveeno Positively Radiant moisturizer and I wanted so badly to love it. I know it's a good line and it even smells great but my skin just wasn't reacting well to it. It didn't moisturize well enough and on this last visit a few days ago, she told me not to be afraid to mix prodcuts. She said you don't have to use the same brand for each product. She said it's all "trial and error to find what works best for you" and I think that's a great way to approach it.

Yesterday I got the Juice Beauty trial kit at Sephora for sensitive skin (which btw my Sephora is no longer going to be carrying JB for some reason but I was assured I could still get it online and possibly at other locations if I found I liked it) and I started it last night. I will let you guys know how I like it in this next week. So far so good on it. The girl that helped me was very nice, very helpful and even though the JB line was packed away in the stock room she went in and pulled out all the trial kits and helped me pick one out. She also said that in the next few weeks if I find that I do like it and want a full size of something to come back and if they haven't sent the products back she'll find whatever it is I need to get. SOOOO nice!

So, I would say don't be afraid to branch out and see what other things are out there. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to find more than one cleanser that works for you or moisturizer or whatever the case may be in case something happens with one you do like. Stuff is unfortunately discontinued all the time so having a backup would be a great idea! I think I'm going to keep experimenting with products just for that very purpose and Ole is next on my list, Mabelle!
th_DANCE.gif

genduk26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
hydroqartozone? if thats what your talking about, yes it can be dangerous as it is a steroid and it can thin the skin over time.
There are tons of products for hyper pigmentation. Do you have pitted scarring aswell? if yes, there are two products by clinic that are good. one is a get even product (dont remember which.. sry) and another i was told was available is stick format. ill try to enquire and get back to you.
for simple hyperpigementation, most products with vitamine c or rentanoid or rentenole. Ie ole's collagen serum, help me by philosophy or miracle woker by philosophy. Anything to lighten or to encrease cellular turnover will help.

For those unclear on what cell turnover means exactly, this how it was explained to me....
When you are a kid and you get a cut your wound heals withen a day or 2. As a 25 year old, my similar cuts have well over a week. It is because my cell turnover has slowed. Many anti aging products claim to help speed this up, or keep it at a good rate. This will help deminish wrinkles, expression lines, lighgten sun spots, acne scaring and provide an all over glow.
peels will always help with hyperpigmenation. again, i always suggest ole.

is Hydroquinone = hydroqartozone? i don't understand chemistry. DDF Fade gel 4 has ingredients: Azelaic Acid, Hydroquinone, Kojic Acid, Salicylic Acid.

Thanks Mabelle, i'll check on the Ole collagen serum next week when i visit sephora. I have used Philosophy Help Me for few months & i love it. it makes my face brighter & smoother. but the dark brown spots are stubborn. my Dr gave me prescription Retin-A cream (tretinoin) 0.025% for my acne/brown spot. it works well with my acne but not to brown spot (post acne). i don't have small zits or pimples but i get 1 - 2 huge red acnes with white spot in the middle once awhile (i hate it!!) . i don't pinch or squeeze it. but after that i always get pitted scarring. this situation has been going on since i was in high school & i'm 35 now.

InspiredBlue

No, hydrocortisone and hydroquinone are NOT the same thing. The latter is possibly carcinogenic and banned in the EU for use on humans. The former is a common ingredient in creams used on rashes and all kinds of skin irritation. While hydrocortisone might not be the best thing to put on ones skin for longer periods of time, hydroquinone plays in a whole other league of dangerousness.
Hydroquinone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

genduk26

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBlue
No, hydrocortisone and hydroquinone are NOT the same thing. The latter is possibly carcinogenic and banned in the EU for use on humans. The former is a common ingredient in creams used on rashes and all kinds of skin irritation. While hydrocortisone might not be the best thing to put on ones skin for longer periods of time, hydroquinone plays in a whole other league of dangerousness.
Hydroquinone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks InspiredBlue,
yes.gif

i never use hydroquinone nor hydrocortisone. i have heard hydroquinone is banned in EU but seen it over the counter in US or sephora (ie. DDF Fade Gel 4). so i got confused. i'll stay away from any hydroquinone ingredients.
yes.gif