anaaliyahfan03's MAC hiring story

starangel2383

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalSister19
It sounds like you did fine.
thmbup.gif

I'm praying for you, girl. I think that getting this job will set you on fire - no stopping you after that! What a confidence booster!

wavey.gif

i totally agree with her about it being a confidence booster if you do get the job, congrats though on getting up to this point so far!

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchocolatema
Hey girl,

The main thing is that you learned from your mistakes. Whether you do or do not get the job, the next interview can only get better!

I had 4 interviews, 3 of which I did not get the job, but by the last go round, I was such a better artist!!! I still freelance for MAC, (it's been almost a year and a half) about 25-30 hours a week, and it's my only job. I look back, and had I got the job my first time or two, I wouldn't have been ready! MAC is an ongoing learning process, so anytime you can go in or steal a trick or two, Do it!!!

So, let time take it's course and if you don't succeed, TRY TRY AGAIN!!!

Good luck and if you ever need any advice, PM me!!!

Love your avi.
wavey.gif

anaaliyahfan03

hey all...got a call from mac..the assistant manager said i didn't pass the makeup demo but wants me to come back in 3 months instead of the normal 6 months they make people wait to re-apply...she said i had that much potential but didn't feel i was quite ready..i'm not discouraged..i will re-aply..thanks for all the support though
smiles.gif

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaaliyahfan03
hey all...got a call from mac..the assistant manager said i didn't pass the makeup demo but wants me to come back in 3 months instead of the normal 6 months they make people wait to re-apply...she said i had that much potential but didn't feel i was quite ready..i'm not discouraged..i will re-aply..thanks for all the support though
smiles.gif

Aw, I'm sorry you didn't make it pass the demo interview portion.
ssad.gif
At least you don't have to wait the 6 months to re-apply and try again. I'm sure once that 3 months mark comes along, you'll be better prepared and the like. Better luck next time though!

Maybe you could try applying at another makeup counter and gain some retail/makeup experience there, so that will better enhance your resume for when you re-apply to MAC.

Lipglass*Lover*

*~*Girl you have got some skills!!! I do believe that you will go far...I am confident that when you re-apply, you will get that job!!!
winks.gif
*~*

MACa6325xi

First of all, I just want to say that I am so proud of you my sister. You did not give up, you got the interview and did the demo. Now, when you do this again in three months you will know what to do and "nail it." I'm confident that you will be a "MAC artist." Keep the faith, and stay strong.

kimmy

i'm glad she's having you come back in three months, you really do have talent! and you learned what you forgot and needed improvement on, so i know when you go back in three months you're going to rock it!
greengrin.gif

mommymac

Well, now you know the drill, so in 3 months they may be ready to hire you on the spot. My daughter was hired just in time for the Christmas rush, actually she started Christmas Eve what a nerve wracking time, but she loves it. Wish you would have gone to Baybrook, that's closer to me although I try to hit, Rice Village, and the Galleria as often as I can. Can't wait to see you out there on the floor for the Christmas rush. Good Luck!

anaaliyahfan03

i wont be re-applying until after that..right at the beginning of january..so its like 3 months and some change..same thing
smiles.gif
thanks though

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
smiles.gif

Awww. I'm sorry. Did you give you reasons? Or give you some tips for next time?

anaaliyahfan03

not really..just didnt think i was ready..it was weird..i made mistakes that were very simple just as others on this site when i read their demo experiences, even more simple than theirs..its more to it, i know..i heard some stories about that particular store last night and now i see why i wasnt hired right away..but i'm ok..im gonna keep goin'

NaturalSister19

When you go back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipglass*Lover*
*~*Girl you have got some skills!!! I do believe that you will go far...I am confident that when you re-apply, you will get that job!!!
winks.gif
*~*

Ditto!

Rock it out in three months. Ask the Manager what you didn't do. Get details so you will be more than ready! A few tips.

At MAC, we are the kings and queens of sanitization!

Sanitization: Do your hands first with hand sanitizer.

1. If you prepare your own station, first wipe the area with an alcohol moistened paper towel. Lay down two tissues to place products on top of.
2. Sanitize your spatula, petri dish (for liquid foundation, moisturizer, concealer) with a tissue moistened with alcohol.
3. Use a Q-tip moistened with alcohol to sanitize a sharpener (open it and wipe blade, both sides)
4. Lightly wipe the top of EVERY cosmetic product that you use (shadows, powders, blush, cream products) with a dry tissue. Fold used portion of tissue over and use a clean space for each. One tissue can be used to wipe about 6-8 products.
5. Pencils - Dip in alcohol, sharpen, dip again, then wipe pencil with dry tissue to remove ALL alcohol. Re-sanitize sharpener between different pencils. For retractables and shadesticks, dip in alcohol and wipe clean and be sure to wipe enough to remove the top layer of product. Remember, after dipping hold it upside-down so that the alcohol doesn't seep down into the tube portion. (This is also how you sanitize lipsticks)

To help with time, try to grab all of your products in one trip, sanitize all at once, then begin application. Have your look down to a T, step by step in your head so you can work continuously.

Keep your work-station neat. Make a little pocket with paper towel for the front of the brush belt that you'll use to throw away used disposables, tissues, and etc,. Fold in half, then in half again. Then take one corner and fold down (like the way cloth napkins are folded at restaurants). Stick closed end into a front pocket of the brush belt, and let that folded down corner lay over on the outside. This will give you two neat little pockets to quickly pop debris into. If do not use a brushbelt, fold the closed corner flat to form a little bowl and prop that up near where you will be working.

Have an organizational system so that things stay in order and neat. Have a space to line up used brushes, line up shadows from dark to light. Petri dish, powder, blush - all in a row in the order that you will use them. When you set up your station this way, you can use a product then put it back in its space. That way, you are organized from start to finish. Mascara, pencils, shadesticks, and etc., neatly lined up. Paint, pain-pots in a row near pencils. Line up your disposables - mascara spoolies, lip wands, and liners.

While your doing the application, treat your model as a customer - clearly explain with as few words as possible what you are doing, what products, tools, & brushes you are using and why. Make sure your voice is very friendly and distinctly enunciate your words using your best diction; trust me, they are listening and looking for these things. Show that you enjoy applying make-up.

These are the basics - if you have any questions just ask.
type.gif

I may have left a couple things out.

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
not really..just didnt think i was ready..it was weird..i made mistakes that were very simple just as others on this site when i read their demo experiences, even more simple than theirs..its more to it, i know..i heard some stories about that particular store last night and now i see why i wasnt hired right away..but i'm ok..im gonna keep goin'

Yes!! Keep going, get in that location to get your foot in the door.