Are you a wrinklephobe?

Kuuipo

NO!!! I have eye creases. Deep ones ....you can look at my face and see that I have laughed alot in my life. I'm 45, I am secure with my age. I do not believe in injecting botulism in my face. Some of those people who shoot botox in repeatedly have small, sagging "dead areas" now. Your face is supposed to move and be expressive. I have smooth skin, but I do have some wrinkles. They will get worse. I still will be viewed as a beautiful, valuable woman. In my current profession, experience is valued. I look experienced. I don't want to look like a 25 year old blank slate. I don't want to look like I fear aging. I want to look proud and fearless. Issac Mizrahi said "Nothing ages a woman more than a face lift. First off, you got to be old enough to have gotten a facelift." You can always tell-or atleast I can-when people have had work. Especially facelifts,eyelifts, browlifts, and nose jobs.
Sure I want to look my best-for my age. I do take care of my skin. I am not a victim of every new skin fad, and the beauty treatments I use must have evidence that they actually do something. I am very practical. I do believe in exfoliation, pigmentation control and zinc and titanium based sunscreens. I don't need a surgical intervention. My face is not diseased and aging is not a disease. I do not lose value because I have gained life experience. I have gained confidence over the years. I am a former model, I don't compare my face or body to what it was 20 years ago. I have a more mature beauty. the women I admire also don't place their value on the past and their looks-they have inner substance.
I'm more interested in beauty than when I made my living peddling it. Yes, I am vain to a certain extent and I do spend much of my income of makeup. The makeup I wear enhances what I do have, and it is also "trust worthy" and appropriate for work. It is aging for a woman over 30 to have sparkles on every part of her face or super bright colours. It is flattering to not be overdone and play up assets. For me, eyes and lips. I do have hooded lids now and use a deep colour in the crease-and it looks dead sexy. Hooded , somewhat crepey lids can have that"bedroom" eye effect if you know what you are doing. I also look for natural lip colours-pink browns, bricknudes, tanpeachy things. I have full lips and not wearing bright pink or red and wearing more natural colours makes tham look fuller. I also rely on makeup bases with dimethicone (a silicone product which smoothes skin) and a light foundation that matches my skin exactly.
I am not going to be poker faced or poked with needles. I'm middle aged, I'm hot, I'm sexy and I have wrinkles-and I am okay with them.

redambition

the only ones i worry about are the frown lines i get on my forehead when my skin gets too dry - but a good moisturising session and a lot of water intake removes them.

i'm nearly 25 and the most "anti-aging" i get is using creams that contain antioxidants like vitamin e... because i have a night cream with vit e that is just so luxuriously thick and great for my skin. i have tried some proper anti-aging creams and i don't like them, nor do i feel i need them.

chocolategoddes

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_love
My mom and I always talk about how African American's have the most amazingly gorgeous skin! Lucky ducks. it always looks so smooth.

it's the cocoa butter.
th_DANCE.gif

Briar

Oh chocolategoddess, you are tooo funny!!!

I don't worry too much about wrinkles most days. I do have my "eek, I look old" moments but overall I don't mind them too much. Most people tell me I look about 5-10 years younger than I am so I guess I'm in a good place.

I love my grey hairs, and will welcome a whole head of silver, unfortunately I don't like the color the rest of my hair is (dishwater brown) so until it is all silver, I'll continue to color. Not trying to hide my age, just trying to brighten up my hair.

frances92307

I'm thirty five and very grey....so of course i get my hair colored. I'm doing pretty good on wrinkles other than the laugh lines, I have none. Staying out of the sun and using my anti aging creams is doing some good.

SquirrelQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
I personally don't fee like I need to worry about wrinkles. I hate to say it but : black don't crack! or w/e lol!
My parents are both over 45 and though they have some grays, they could pass for 39 and a half.

But I wam going to be a plastic surgeon. and you can't be givin someone a facelift when your cheeks sag down to your cankles. I'm just sayin

YOUR PARENTS ARE OVER FORTY-FIVE BUT THEY LOOK THIRTY-NINE AND A HALF?!?
th_LMAO.gif
th_roll1.gif
th_LMAO.gif
You sound like one of my kids!

Seriously, I think it's very possible to age gracefully and look your best at every stage of life. Why fight your age? Why not embrace it and accept yourself for who you are?

Having said that, I do take care of myself and I have had to adjust my skin care routine to accomodate the changes in my skin. I've used Retin-A for years, mostly to combat adult acne but also to prevent wrinkles and decrease discoloration. I also use sunscreen every day, don't tan and don't smoke. Plus, I'm blessed with good genes.

I do understand why someone might want Botox. Once, I heard about a woman who'd had issues with chronic pain and stress and it all took a toll on her face. She had deep furrows between her brows, which made her look always angry---or sad---even when she was very happy. She had Botox between her brows and it made her look softer, happier and certainly not stressed or angry. In her case, the Botox actually let her be herself and let her face reflect who she was on the inside.

The thing that worries me about the emphasis on anti-aging in cosmetics, society, the media, etc. is that it can be just another way for women to feel inadequate over a natural and inevitable life process and to hate themselves as a result. It takes a lot of self-confidence and self-esteem to be able to embrace one's wrinkles, to look at crow's feet as laugh lines and to age gracefully. That isn't always easy when we're constantly told that we aren't good enough because we don't look like Photoshopped models and celebrities in the magazines.

I guess I am a bit concerned about the young women who seem so worried about wrinkles. I think you're all being very prudent to take care of your skin now because there will be a big payoff when you get older. Make sure you use sunscreen---even if you have darker skin---to prevent wrinkles and, more importantly, skin cancer. Don't suntan! Don't lie out in the sun and don't think that suntan booths are any better---they're actually worse in terms of exposure to harmful UV radiation. If your skin is acne-prone, do check with your health care provider to get a prescription for a retinoid. If you have clear skin and don't need a prescription-strength retinoid, look for an over-the-counter retinol. Follow the directions in correct use of retinoids and retinols because they can irritate your skin. And don't smoke.

Do younger women need anti-aging treatments? It depends on the woman, her lifestyle, where she lives, even her genetics. For the most part, I don't think most women in their late teens or twenties need serious anti-aging products---just common sense and good skin care. I also heard about a young woman who enjoyed tanning, in spite of the risk of cancer and wrinkles, and said she'd just get Botox eventually to take care of her wrinkles. Um---that's not going to do it.

I think if you're motivated to take care of yourself when you're young to prevent further problems---and you're being realistic---then it's not a concern. The quest for anti-aging when you're still young becomes a problem, though, when you are motivated out of fear or self-loathing. Believe me, you don't want to waste your life hating the way you look and then, when you do hit middle age, realize how pretty you were but that you just never knew it. Then again, self-love can never come too late and it's wonderful to be able to embrace yourself---and your wrinkles---as you get older.

Off the soapbox.

.k.

i am! everyone thinks im crazy cuz im only 20! but i have smile lines well just on the left side. but im worried about under my eyes where i see little creepy lines of death! im going to moisturize till death do us part! lol

lovelyweapon

I couldn't agree with Kuuipo more. I think that in a very strange way, wrinkles are something to be proud of. I am too young to be worrying about wrinkles, but I think it's important to take care of your skin. If they come, they should be accepted knowing you have done what you can to prevent them. Aging is supposed to be a beautiful thing in life, not something that doesn't make you beautiful.

claire87john

a little i guess... usually i don't think about it - and then i see a close up photograph of my face in good light and VOILA - my age shows.
i'm trying to look at them in a unconventional way... as badges of honor i got from laughing my whole life :) but the music industry's youth obsession makes it difficult to see it that way sometimes.

MmeSpark

I'm just getting used to my first wrinkles, and dealing with them. I'm worried that I'm not doing enough to prevent them :( From everything on the market, I have no idea what really works.

IHughes

I've got super good skin for my age, due to great genes and skincare from my early twenties. I've also never smoked, drunk or gone out much and have never sunbathed or tanned or anything. I think all that helps. I'm now 31 and with certain thick makeup I get smile lines I don't have bare faced. I also get creases with some undereye concealers which annoys me too. I don't worry much at the moment, only that my boyfriend is much younger than me so by the time he decides to get married I may look wrinklier than now. I know it sounds like a silly thing, but I don't fret, just continue with good skincare

pamlondonuk

For those of you who are seriously into wrinkle prevention, apart from the usual advice (looking after your skin well and keeping hydrated), there are a few things which I've observed personally to have fantastic effects. Firstly Retin A creams are incredible, but tend to be a bit rough on sensitive skin. If you can tolerant one, get one and use it! Secondly, hyperbaric oxygen facials. Spas will use a machine which uses high-pressurized oxygen infused with botanical, vitamin, mineral, and nutrient extracts applied to the face and neck, in a pressurised burst. It makes a stunning difference. Sure, you need to keep having them to maintain the effect over time, but they're really very impressive.

pandabear99

I am actually very proud of my wrinkles. Some make me look like I'm smiling when I'm not. Haha
I used to not care, but now that I am older and wrinkles are starting to become more prominent, it will get to me on my bad days. I have been doing my daily facial massages, masks, and anti-aging serums that have definitely been helping though. I am really loving this new triple action serum from humble + lavi. I seriously wake up with tighter feeling skin.

Lin1018

No.
Why? - Haven't had time to worry about lines and wrinkles. I believe worry and stress cause the wrinkles in the first place and genes then take over!
I am hoping that my Monsia Advanced Skin Renewal System regime will continue to hold lines and wrinkles at bay. The day cream has a SPF-15 so I wear a hat in the sun. I also stopped wearing foundation, powder, blush etc in 1988. Now all I wear is eyeliner and mascara, no other makeup on top of my day cream. The face feels so clean and fresh.

makeupmonster

I've always taken really good care of my skin. Since I basically hit puberty, I've worn SPF. I've always been more of a night owl so I stay out of the sun by nature. I've also dabbled in retinoids and have settled on Differin. I'm almost 30 and it's pretty impossible to tell my age. I still have the finest of lines creeping up under my eyes, though, and they drive me nuts!!!

DarylandCarole

I've always taken really good care of my skin. Since I basically hit puberty, I've worn SPF. I've always been more of a night owl so I stay out of the sun by nature. I've also dabbled in retinoids and have settled on Differin. I'm almost 30 and it's pretty impossible to tell my age. I still have the finest of lines creeping up under my eyes, though, and they drive me nuts!!!
When you're almost 50 you MIGHT have wrinkles or fine lines to worry about. At your age you should just enjoy your looks!

Lin1018

I've just read through all the above posts - I think I am right is saying that ALL of you are below 40. From someone who is 60+ this is what I have done most of my life and continue to do now:
1. Love life and all it brings
2. Don't smoke and only drink alcohol in moderation (smoking makes you screw up your eyes and alcohol apparently dries the skin)
3. Try and get as much sleep as possible
4. Drink a lot of water
5. Try and eat healthily, but restrict yourself to small quantities across protein, carbs and fruit and veg. Try and eat 3 meals a day and DON'T graze.
6. Last but not least use a good skincare range. I use Monsia Advanced Skin Renewal System. I used to use the Simple range of products but felt that I needed something more substantial and browsing the internet I came across Monsia. Very happy with the product and my skin feels soft, smooth and I no longer wear foundation and powder - great, the skin can breath!

I'm a huge wrinklephobe. I think it stems from my depression and anxiety. In my dumb brain I'm thinking, well, I am socially awkward, scared of many things, pretty down on myself a lot, I don't feel like I have a personality that anyone would want to be around me. I end up thinking, well, at least I'm pretty, like that's my only redeeming quality. In reality, I'm compassionate, love animals, very helpful, but no one really sees that because I'm pretty scared of social interaction.

I have lots of serums and creams, I dermaroll, use acid peels etc. to combat skin issues. I know people with wrinkles are still beautiful, but I'm terrified of growing old. Sorry for rambling. I know this wrinklephobe thread wasn't supposed to take a depressing turn like this.

Luckily, my boyfriend recently got a good job, so when the benefits kick in, I can get on medication again and hopefully get out of this way of thinking.... so yay for that!

DarylandCarole

I'm a huge wrinklephobe. I think it stems from my depression and anxiety. In my dumb brain I'm thinking, well, I am socially awkward, scared of many things, pretty down on myself a lot, I don't feel like I have a personality that anyone would want to be around me. I end up thinking, well, at least I'm pretty, like that's my only redeeming quality. In reality, I'm compassionate, love animals, very helpful, but no one really sees that because I'm pretty scared of social interaction.

I have lots of serums and creams, I dermaroll, use acid peels etc. to combat skin issues. I know people with wrinkles are still beautiful, but I'm terrified of growing old. Sorry for rambling. I know this wrinklephobe thread wasn't supposed to take a depressing turn like this.

Luckily, my boyfriend recently got a good job, so when the benefits kick in, I can get on medication again and hopefully get out of this way of thinking.... so yay for that!
Bunny, I just saw this post tonight and wanted to say that I think I understand how you feel. The way my life is right now, I feel like one of the only things that I have going for me is still looking fairly young and pretty. Even the pretty part is questionable in my mind because I've gained a lot of weight the past few years. So the young thing is huge for me. I am starting to see some signs of aging and it terrifies me, also. I don't know how to be an older looking person. My identity is so strongly tied to being pretty that the idea of looking even middle-aged is very depressing. What we think is pretty is drummed into our mind by others so it's not surprising that many of us thing looking older is not attractive. I'm trying to get myself to feel that it won't be awful to look older. Maybe there's a book somewhere that tells how to deal with it. If I find one I'll let you know!

Hi burghchick! Thanks so much for posting! I was just sitting here and nodding at everything you wrote. It's always good to know one isn't alone. I can definitely relate to the weight gain. Ugh, I've gained about 60 pounds since high school. Though I was about 100 then, so I'm not extremely over weight, but for 5'2", I feel huge. I'm trying to work out and eat less, but it's so hard to get motivated with the depression. Vicious cycle. I have to say, I'm happy for the cooler weather. I can hide in my hoodies.