Are you often accused of "dressing up?"

IDontKnowMomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerGreyness
All the time
greengrin.gif
.... and I love it!!

Same here haha. If I'm going anywhere in public, I normally get "dressed up."
If I'm with friends, I get dressed up if I feel like it, if not, then I'll wear pajamas
yes.gif

CantAffordMAC

Ive gotten it before but mostly from my boyfriend. Sorry but I know that if I step out of the house in jeans and sneakers, im going to end up seeing someone that I should look HOT in front of, and I dont like that. Even going to the mall, if I am really not wearing anything cute, Ill probably feel uncomfortable because Ill see a lot of people wearing cute outfits and I dont like looking not put together.

That being said, I hardly ever dress up anymore.
th_rolleye0014.gif
Gotta go shopping

Brie

I'd rather be over dressed than under dressed for any occassion!
I know the sayings old but it fits me to a T

I really love being dressed up , i really like putting effort in the way i "display" myself. Sometimes it bugs me when people say stuff like that and i have to bite my tongue and not say "well I'd rather this than look like you!"" LOL

Basically if i am planning to leave the house i will be "dressed up" full make up hair outfit.... It really doesn't take that much longer and i feel more comfortable that way... Kind of get into a routine

oh and my thing is, if your going to do something you might as well go all out and do it properly.

That being said i wouldn't wear a ball gown to macca's, but id still probably be the most "dressed " there

allthatgl1tt3rs

I think when people say it, it's because they either don't expect you to be that dressed up for the occassion in question/they're not used to seeing you in that sort of attire. And when I say "you" I mean all of "us"
smiles.gif

Last summer I had a total revamp of my wardrobe. One day I just looked in there and was like "ugh, nothing in here grabs me anymore, it's gotta go". I then restocked with tonnes of boho dresses and so on (I'm inspired by Sienna Miller, Kate Moss and more recently a bit of the punkier stuff).
However my work wardrobe still consisted of my old smart gear that I'd only bought under a year before when I was having a bit of a fashion crisis. I look at those blouses and trousers now and think "oh dear. What WAS I thinking?!"

It's like in the past year I had a fashion epiphany haha! Don't get me wrong, I've always loved fashion, I used to pore over my Mum's only ever copy of Vogue that I ever saw sat in the house for years. But when it came to me, I just don't think I previously ever had the confidence to pull stuff off - like recently I bought a bright red jumpsuit - if you'd had told me a year ago I'd buy that, I'd have laughed at you. It's coming in the post and I still wonder if it will suit me but I've decided I'm gonna go out on a limb and be daring (that's what life's about - taking some risks!)

I only recently managed to get some money together to update my work wardrobe and since people have been making comments like "wow, new top?!" or "you've really been dressing up of late" which does make me feel cringey about how I must have came across before.

To me though, I feel more comfortable being dressed up in public than dressed "down". In the house I'm happy to wear my scruffies but outside I have to feel like I'm making an effort. I think for me though, dressing "up" is a part of what I enjoy. I love to look pretty but some girls manage to still look gorgeous dressed "down"!

metal_romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
Yeah, my mom accuses me of this. She often asks where I'm going and how my clothes would work better in some sort of fashion job. Umm, I buy my clothes at Ross, often paying less than 8 dollars a shirt, especially since the recession. I just dig and be creative..i'm in there for awhile, but you come across winners. My mom says I try too hard, but really I don't, it's just my personal style, i'm not trying to impress anyone but myself 95% of the time! I get ideas from magazines and pictures and while i can't afford versace, I try to take care of what i do have and buy basics that can be worn in a number of ways.

I don't wear cocktail dresses and diamonds to football games either, but I pick out the clothes that best flatter my body and colors that work with my skin. My sister does the same freaking thing as yours too! I've offered to help her find the best outfits based on her body type as their are tons of resources on the net for this but she just refuses. I never insulted her, but wearing an oversized t shirt and jeans everywhere is not appropriate and she knows this because she often complains that she doesn't have any clothes.
My friend was with me the other day and I suggested a really cute top, telling her it was conservative yet memorable and not drab, perfect for the interview she was going for, my friend loved it but unfortunately it was in the wrong size section and too big for her. This other lady was seriously invading our space and you could tell she was listening to our conversation,and literally as soon as i put the shirt down she snatched it up after hearing my thoughts on it and ran to the dressing room. I hope it worked out for her lol.

Oh, and it has been said numerous times..." it is better to be overdressed than underdressed!!"

Don't worry about what your mom or anyone else says. I am training to be an Image Consultant (I've almost finished my course and have started to find freelance work) and you are doing exactly what an Image Consultant should teach her/his clients to do- to dress to suit one's shape & colouring, find one's personal style, & "shop smart".
thmbup.gif

Dressing according to the above isn't necessarily "dressing up"- it's just dressing how one should dress ideally. Someone in trackpants and a T-shirt of a flattering fit, style and colour is always going to look better than someone in a beautiful designer ballgown that is the wrong shape, colour etc. for them. Perhaps when some people see others that have made an effort to look good, they feel a bit intimidated because they might think that if they made an effort they wouldn't look good anyway, so they don't try. With some people it would be a self-esteem issue. The good thing is that it's not really hard to dress well- if you have someone to point you in the right direction, encourage you and teach you the "rules" (eg. an Image Consultant- or a sister! hehe) then it becomes simple and part of the everyday routine. It actually takes a lot LESS effort than a daily routine of "oh no! I don't know what to wear!" and all that stress and rushing around and making a mess of discarded outfits on your bed, lol.

breechan

I think that people often say things like that out of insecurity and jealousy. I try to keep that in mind when responding. I usually just say "thank you" with a big smile.
yes.gif
That disarms them. You shouldn't have to justify your preference to look "put together" either.
nope.gif

gildedangel

I am accused of dressing up all the time! I like it in that I get complemented when I do, but then again I get annoyed because it happens most everyday because that is how I dress.

Lyssah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie
I'd rather be over dressed than under dressed for any occassion!

That's my motto too!
smiles.gif
At least it always makes a positive impression and I always feel good so I can tackle anything that comes my way !

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRibbon

I don't see the point of getting OTT dressed up when it's just a family thing and you're just going to visit them for no reason.

I'm talking about putting on a shirt or top and layering a sweater over it, and wearing plain Lee jeans, with boots or loafers, for the family Christmas gathering.
I don't consider that "dressed up," but my mother would say, "Just wear a tee shirt or sweatshirt and blue jeans; be comfortable!"
But I *was* comfortable!

palmetto_barbie

one of my best friends told me..."you always look so pulled together...even in sweats"...and another..."Anna's always over dressed"...so I feel ya!
smiles.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto_barbie
one of my best friends told me..."you always look so pulled together...even in sweats"...and another..."Anna's always over dressed"...so I feel ya!
smiles.gif

The remark about you looking pulled together even in sweats is a great compliment, and the "over dressed" dig was undoubtedly motivated by jealousy.
If I were a betting woman, I'd bet my last $25 that you're not over dressed, just attractively dressed.

eskae

This happens to me ALL the time when I feel like being really 'girly'. Mind you, you'll usually see me in jeans and t-shirt with a cardigan or zip-up hoodie (very scrubbyish.. but COMFORTABLE) but whenever I put on a dress or decide to be really girly one day people make a HUGE deal about it. I really hate it. What? You've never seen a girl in a dress before? It's not that I'm a tom-boy that it's rare, so I don't even get it!

JAJ_2380

I had a nightmare a couple of years ago where I showed up to a formal party wearing pajamas so ever since then I always say "Its better to be dressed up than dressed down."

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskae
whenever I put on a dress or decide to be really girly one day people make a HUGE deal about it. I really hate it. What? You've never seen a girl in a dress before? It's not that I'm a tom-boy that it's rare, so I don't even get it!

How ridiculous of these people!
I'm not a psychologist or anything, but I've observed that usually when people behave irrationally, it's because they feel insecure or threatened.
It's easy and comfortable to pigeon-hole someone ("Persephone *never* dresses up!"), so they think they know what to expect.
Then, one day Persephone turns up in a dress and looks pretty darned fantastic.
Not only has Persephone rocked their little worlds by bucking their pre-conceived image of her as She Who Does Not Wear Dresses, she looks so good that she might turn out to be a "threat," after all!
eeksign.gif

I may well be over-analyzing the situation, but that's just my take on it.
th_dunno.gif

LaGoddess

i do. even in jeans and a nice tank. so if i know i'm going to feel uncomfortable around people rolling their eyes at me, i'll just swap heels for a pair of cute black leather flipflops and i feel more dressed down but still look nice lol.

CrissyM

yes and usually that implies dressing up for other people. i like to do that for myself and boyfriend. I'm not great with picking or putting together clothes.. so if it takes me a little extra to do that or my hair/makeup.. then I am "dressing up" ...usually it's a shirt and jeans.

LivestrongH2

Oh yeah, I get that a lot. I played college basketball, so for years I never wore makeup because I was constantly sweating or exhausted.....so once the basketball years were over, everyone was shocked if I even made a minimal effort. People wouldn't recognize me with my hair down and neutral makeup and would make such a big deal about it. I hate having attention on me...so it made me uncomfortable. Comments like "do you have a hot date" or "who are you all dolled up for?". uggh

sunshine16

I find it funny people make a big deal over how "dressed up" dresses are, yet it's much easier to chuck on a dress and not have to think rather then having to pick out a pair of jeans/pants and then find a top to match.. Find the combo you picked doesn't work so you have to ditch it and try again. Wearing a dress eliminates that and thus makes dressing much quicker & easier.

I mainly wear dresses because they make me feel fab' though
smiles.gif

People have accepted that i'm a girly-girl through and through, and dressed down for me is jeans and a nice top (not a t-shirt, i couldn't tell you the last time i wore a tee for anything other then bed and exercise)
I think it's because I openly admit to being really girly and loving to dress up, so people know that if they said i was dressed up i'd just like "yeah? when aren't i?"

So i guess my attitude is, own your personality and loving for dressing up, and people will start accepting it as who you are and forget about it
smiles.gif

chilwah

I love dressing up, but often find it awkward when I'm all dressed up and my friends are in jeans and simple tops. Which sucks because I like to look pretty and wear pretty clothes and keep on buying them without wearing them out often enough.

Latest posts